Everydayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,006 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 06:30 PM

I hope we hang on to Mursak.

Don't Toews me, bro!

#22 LeftWinger

LeftWinger

42 years in Detroit! Time to spend the rest in paradise!

• Silver Booster
  • 8,587 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 06:32 PM

Jarnkrok, Pulkkinen, Jurco, Frk, Sheahan, Sproul, Tvrdon, Athanasiou, Bodin, McKee...We Won't Miss Mursak, Tatar or Andersson...

Don't Be Jealous, But I Live Here...

www.thinkdunes.com

#23 shdwx14

shdwx14

Big Bert!!!

• 44 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 07:06 PM

Getting Doan would be awesome for the Wings to add many dimensions with one player. I'm just nervous he may choose a team that seems like it has a better chance at the cup.

#24 St. Michael (the Red Wing)

St. Michael (the Red Wing)

Heavenly With the Puck

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,822 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 07:12 PM

A big LOL if the Kings land Doan...

#25 Wings_Toledo

Wings_Toledo

Seeing Red

• PipPipPipPip
  • 788 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 07:12 PM

If you pay someone more than they are worth other players will want more than they are worth. Overpaying is at epidemic levels in the NHL. Paying Doan 2 million more than he's worth is not going to solve anything.

My point is that the Wings will have to overpay for someone of Doan's caliber. It's just a fact of how things are in the league now. You think Ericsson's contract won't drive up the price of our D-men when they become FAs? In my opinion, it would help this team to have Doan for a few years, overpayment or not.

#26 Shaman

Shaman

Die hard Red Wing fan and realist.

• Silver Booster
  • 3,840 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 07:17 PM

My point is that the Wings will have to overpay for someone of Doan's caliber. It's just a fact of how things are in the league now. You think Ericsson's contract won't drive up the price of our D-men when they become FAs? In my opinion, it would help this team to have Doan for a few years, overpayment or not.

He's 35 almost 36, and if he is given a multi year contract, there is the 35+ rule, so given the good chance that he decides to retire in the next few years the Wings are saddled with his cap hit for the rest of the contract. On top of that if he isn't worth 5-5.5 million this year what about for the rest of the life of the contract? So not only is he overpaid this year, he gets more and more overpaid every subsequent year. No thanks, rather not have a 3rd line winger making 5 million and on the downside of his career.
Feuer und Wasser kommt nicht zusammen
Kann man nicht binden sind nicht verwandt
In Funken versunken steh ich in Flammen
und bin im Wasser verbrannt
Im Wasser verbrannt

#27 Red Crazy

Red Crazy

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 626 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 07:36 PM

He's 35 almost 36, and if he is given a multi year contract, there is the 35+ rule, so given the good chance that he decides to retire in the next few years the Wings are saddled with his cap hit for the rest of the contract. On top of that if he isn't worth 5-5.5 million this year what about for the rest of the life of the contract? So not only is he overpaid this year, he gets more and more overpaid every subsequent year. No thanks, rather not have a 3rd line winger making 5 million and on the downside of his career.

I get what your saying. With signing older players there is risk. I would offer him a three year contract at 5m per. I would rather that then Semin at 5m per because at least with Doan you know what your getting. Short contracts for each of these players is the only way to sign them.

#28 Shaman

Shaman

Die hard Red Wing fan and realist.

• Silver Booster
  • 3,840 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 08:00 PM

I get what your saying. With signing older players there is risk. I would offer him a three year contract at 5m per. I would rather that then Semin at 5m per because at least with Doan you know what your getting. Short contracts for each of these players is the only way to sign them.

If Doan wants to win, he should accept a one year deal. If the Wings want to play the 'well at least we didn't overpay' card, they don't sign Doan.
Feuer und Wasser kommt nicht zusammen
Kann man nicht binden sind nicht verwandt
In Funken versunken steh ich in Flammen
und bin im Wasser verbrannt
Im Wasser verbrannt

#29 Dimaline312000

Dimaline312000

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,182 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 08:14 PM

While I definetly believe he is the type of player the Wings want. It just pains me to see the Wings going after older talent. No disrespect to Shane Doan he's a tremendous player and would most likely fit in well here in Detroit and I'd love to see the Wings give him a Cup. I just don't see why we don't start looking more towards younger players even if our younger players aren't ready to take the leap there is still some good young talent out there that I'd love to see what they could do with the Wings. I'm not going to name a bunch of names but there's some out there that would be pretty cool to see in a Wings jersey and see if they could adapt to our style of play and can make the Wings successful. Otherwise I really don't have much of a problem with Shane Doan coming to Detroit.

#30 The Axe

The Axe

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,379 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 09:01 PM

Doan would be a good add AFTER Semin and Yandle.

#31 chrisdetroit

chrisdetroit

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,407 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 09:11 PM

Despite all of the pessimists on this forum, the Wings are still considered to be one of about 8-10 teams that COULD win the Cup. Just like LA was in that group last year. If Doan wants to win, he will go to one of those teams. Now if people think that another team has a better chance then they have very short memories. 3 months ago all the experts were betting on Pittsburgh, Nashville, Vancouver, etc. We all know how that turned out.

All that said, my bet is that Doan stays in Phoenix. If he wanted to leave, he already would have. But then, almost nobody thought that Suter and Parise would both go to a team that finished 14 points out of the playoff last year.
Do or do not. There is no try

#32 Red Wings Addict

Red Wings Addict

This is how I watch Wings games

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,749 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 09:16 PM

A big LOL if the Kings land Doan...

Yeah. They seem to be a much more appealing option. If I were Doan though I would definitely bear in mind that whole cup hangover phenomenon.

#33 esteef

esteef

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 8,874 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 10:10 PM

Getting Doan and Tootoo in one off season would be magically delicious!

esteef
"The Wings haven't won a Cup without Darren McCarty since 1955."

#34 LeftWinger

LeftWinger

42 years in Detroit! Time to spend the rest in paradise!

• Silver Booster
  • 8,587 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 10:18 PM

Here is the offseason of choice after being one of the snubbed teams by Mary Kate and Ashley:

Shane Doan

Peter Mueller

Pavel Kubina

Trade, waive or do whatever to make rosters spots for these three and let's rock!

I really do wish Holland had the balls to trade Filpulla for Ryan and also trade Franzine for someone else of value! But I'd be happy with just the Ryan trade and the above three UFA signings...

Don't Be Jealous, But I Live Here...

www.thinkdunes.com

#35 ogreslayer

ogreslayer

1st Line All-Star

• HoF Booster
  • 1,959 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 11:05 PM

The reason the Wings have to pick up Doan is rather simple:

We need to replace this face...
Posted Image

With this one...
Posted Image

Think of the photoshoppers Kenny, those innocent little photoshoppers.

Edited by ogreslayer, 08 July 2012 - 11:05 PM.

#36 arag

arag

1st Line Sniper

• HoF Booster
  • 754 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 12:53 AM

Nice ! I also like the score on the second pic.

#37 Hockeymom1960

Hockeymom1960

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,220 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 05:43 AM

Here is the offseason of choice after being one of the snubbed teams by Mary Kate and Ashley:

Shane Doan

Peter Mueller

Pavel Kubina

Trade, waive or do whatever to make rosters spots for these three and let's rock!

I really do wish Holland had the balls to trade Filpulla for Ryan and also trade Franzine for someone else of value! But I'd be happy with just the Ryan trade and the above three UFA signings...

Golden :lol:

#38 HadThomasVokounOnFortSt

HadThomasVokounOnFortSt

Hi

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,067 posts
  • Location:Cloudy Town, Minnesota. 762.20 miles from the Joe Louis Arena

Posted 09 July 2012 - 09:31 AM

Nice ! I also like the score on the second pic.

Did you expect something different? ;)
hadthomasvokounonfortst.jpg
Follow me on Twitter: @W2G4U

#39 Johnz96

Johnz96

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,423 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 09:34 AM

Shane Doan

Peter Mueller

Pavel Kubina

I think an in depth testicular examination should be made when hiring future GMs
If they were functioning properly he should have had Semin by now

Edited by Johnz96, 09 July 2012 - 09:40 AM.

#40 ogreslayer

ogreslayer

1st Line All-Star

• HoF Booster
  • 1,959 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 09:43 AM

I think an in depth testicular examination should be made when hiring future GMs
If they were functioning properly he should have had Semin by now

Hoping that either way, this is the last reference we have to testicles & Semin in the same post.