421 replies to this topic

#101 StormJH1

StormJH1

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 702 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 11:49 AM

Twitter starting to make some noise.

Darren Pang just tweeted that LA has made the first offer for Doan, and the ticket just reported that there is strong mutual interest between Doan and SJ.

I'm not listening to ANY rumors until Kypreos weighs in...

#102 cusimano_brothers

cusimano_brothers

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,612 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 07:07 PM

His return to Phoenix might hinge on the signatures of people who quite likely have never seen him play? Interesting.

"Mess up tomorrow, don't mess up now".

- Harry James Benson, CBE.

#103 LeftWinger

LeftWinger

42 years in Detroit! Time to spend the rest in paradise!

• Silver Booster
  • 8,617 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 07:16 PM

Strong interest from a lot of teams.....Come on Holland! Lets Do it! $5.5M is the max! 3 years! Get it Done!

Don't Be Jealous, But I Live Here...

www.thinkdunes.com

Aww You Mad Bro? Are You Butt Hurt?

#104 Johnz96

Johnz96

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,423 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 07:28 PM

Vancouver seems to be another likely destination. if they can do something with the cap space they will have by moving Loungo (combined with better goaltending from Scneider), they should be Cup favorites

http://www.google.ca...53B6CWDV-eoaWDQ

#105 GoWings1905

GoWings1905

Legend

• Gold Booster
  • 5,244 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 07:58 PM

If Doan doesn't stay in Phoenix, I have very little belief he will sign with the Red Wings.

Pretty much every team that has reported interest is closer to contending than the Red Wings. Doan is 35 years old -- I doubt he wants to play in a situation where the team is on the decline.

"To whom much is given, much is expected."

#106 brett

brett

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,974 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 08:03 PM

Does doan become captain if he signs with the wings?

#107 kipwinger

kipwinger

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,629 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 08:07 PM

Zetterberg is the Captain, and Doan, Datsyuk, and Kronwall would get the A's.

GMRwings:  "Well, in other civilized countries, 16 years old isn't considered underage.  For instance, I believe the age of consent is 16 in Canada.  There's some US states where it's 16 as well.  

Get off the high horse.  Not like she was 10."

"Some girls are 17 even though they look 25."

#108 GoWings1905

GoWings1905

Legend

• Gold Booster
  • 5,244 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 08:07 PM

Does doan become captain if he signs with the wings?

Not a chance. Why would he? Z has been with the Red Wings and is a better player than Doan anyways.

#109 brett

brett

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,974 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 08:11 PM

Cause he has the experience of being a captain already?

I dont believe captaincy is about being the better player, its about experience and leadership.

Edited by brett, 10 July 2012 - 08:12 PM.

#110 GoWings1905

GoWings1905

Legend

• Gold Booster
  • 5,244 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 08:25 PM

I dont believe captaincy is about being the better player, its about experience and leadership.

True. I should have elaborated better. Doan has the experience, but Z has been groomed for years including watching Nick and Stevie as mentors. I don't think there's any doubt he can handle being captain and it seems like Babcock and most of his teammates have said as much.

As far as the better player, I agree that it doesn't always have to be a deciding factor. However, with everything Z has accomplished, it certainly helps his case. Besides, ultimately I don't think it would be very Red Wing like to hand over the captaincy to a brand new player when the current team has plenty of options that have served the organization for years.

#111 WingsAlways

WingsAlways

Grind Line 2.0

• PipPip
  • 328 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 08:58 PM

Shannahan and Cheilos were both experienced captains with there former clubs and wore "A's". Zetterberg was groomed here and will be here for a while, if we were to land Doan it wouldn't be a long contract.

"Wow Chicago, you've won four Stanley Cups? Me too! - Kris Draper"

#112 blueadams

blueadams

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,012 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 09:04 PM

Give up hope. Holland will low-ball Doan. Better teams - LA, Chicago, etc. won't. Why would he play for less for less of a chance to win? Same with Semin. Forget about it. Forget about it all.

#113 Barrie

Barrie

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,919 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 09:34 PM

I think dats and z's contracts might have kept kenny at bay with parise and suter. That didnt turn out so good.

I'd rather have Dats and Z.

I'd pass on Doan, get Semin instead.
Lets Go:
Red Wings
Tigers
Roughriders
Lions
Spartans
Pistons

#114 BamaWing

BamaWing

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 331 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 09:46 PM

Semin and Doan both bring stuff that we need. Arguing about which one we neednmore is meaningless. I'll take both, trade for dman and call it a day.

Posted Image

#115 ShanahanMan

ShanahanMan

DUUUUUUUUH

• Silver Booster
  • 5,652 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 10:00 PM

Yeah I just don't get it. Throw a bunch of money at Semin, I don't care if it's $8M, just to do it for a one year gig, there's no risk and it's better than letting the money just SIT THERE.

I HATE JASON WILLIAMS

#116 kipwinger

kipwinger

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,629 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 10:13 PM

So much of what's going on doesn't make sense to me. Like singing Tootoo, or signing Sammy when either Nyquist or Brunner was supposed to play in the top six this year, or giving Sammy a NTC, or not having much of a backup plan if we didn't land Suter, or not signing Quincey when it became apparent that we couldn't get Suter (Wideman, Garrison, or Carle) and we only have 5 defensemen under contract, or not signing a top six forward (the same problem we've had for the last three years), or staking our remaining offensive hopes on a guy (Doan) who's most likely to remain with his current (and only team), or not signing Semin now that he's really the only guaranteed top six that we could sign without having to give up assets for, or finally staking next season on trades which are more likely to not happen than pan out in our favor.

Really the only thing that makes any sense to me was signing Gustavsson. Ugh.

Note: That it doesn't make sense to me is no reason to believe that nothing good can come of it. I'm just saying I really have no idea what the plan was this offseason based on the moves we've made/haven't made. I'm in the dark.

Edited by kipwinger, 10 July 2012 - 10:19 PM.

GMRwings:  "Well, in other civilized countries, 16 years old isn't considered underage.  For instance, I believe the age of consent is 16 in Canada.  There's some US states where it's 16 as well.  

#117 ShanahanMan

ShanahanMan

DUUUUUUUUH

• Silver Booster
  • 5,652 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 10:16 PM

So much of what's going on doesn't make sense to me. Like singing Tootoo, or signing Sammy when either Nyquist or Brunner was supposed to play in the top six this year, or giving Sammy a NTC, or not having much of a backup plan if we didn't land Suter, or not signing Quincey when it became apparent that we couldn't get Suter (Wideman, Garrison, or Carle) and we only have 5 defensemen under contract, or not signing a top six forward (the same problem we've had for the last three years), or not signing Semin now that he's really the only guaranteed top six that we could sign without having to give up assets for, or finally staking next season on trades which are more likely to not happen than pan out in our favor.

Really the only thing that makes any sense to me was signing Gustavsson. Ugh.

Yeah, almost forgot about the NTCs. We now have 4 guys with NTC, absolutely ridiculous. He's throwing these out like hotcakes without really thinking about it.

I HATE JASON WILLIAMS

#118 kipwinger

kipwinger

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,629 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 10:26 PM

Yeah, almost forgot about the NTCs. We now have 4 guys with NTC, absolutely ridiculous. He's throwing these out like hotcakes without really thinking about it.

Like I edited above, I'm not saying they don't have a plan, or that we're totally screwed. I just don't understand what the plan is, or what their vision of the future is. Unless they decided that the only major moves worth making were for Parise and Suter, and if they couldn't land them then the next best option was to plug some holes and sit on the money until some future date.

#119 number9

number9

All The Best Players Wear A 9

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,462 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 10:42 PM

Holland thinks way more than most GM's. Not sure if you've noticed but Holland DOES NOT TRADE. So an NTC doesn't really matter, it just makes the player feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

#120 Red Wings Addict

Red Wings Addict

This is how I watch Wings games

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,749 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 10:56 PM

Holland thinks way more than most GM's. Not sure if you've noticed but Holland DOES NOT TRADE. So an NTC doesn't really matter, it just makes the player feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

Or perhaps makes their salaries a little cheaper.