• Please log in to reply
421 replies to this topic

#141 number9

number9

All The Best Players Wear A 9

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,589 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 11:45 AM

Agreed. Simply put - Doan is a difference maker while Semin and Nash are not. The kind of fire he has will rub off.

Doan's got energy, attitude, and leadership....but Semin is veryyyy underrated defensively and Nash has the ability to put entire games on his back

Just depends on what kind of difference maker your looking for i guess

#142 KDDRWINGS1

KDDRWINGS1

Calmer than you.

• Pip
  • 173 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 02:32 PM

Fox Sports Arizona via twitter: Shane Doan's agent said if they don't have an answer by July 16th (regarding Phoenix situation), they may get serious with regards to other offers.

Looks like we'll have to wait a little longer.. But in good news, the wings are believed to be among leaders for doan (if he leaves Phoenix) along with the Hawks and Nucks..

Kevin McGran of the Toronto Star: The Maple Leafs are one of a dozen teams that are have made calls on Shane Doan. The Blackhawks, Red Wings and Canucks are thought to be the leaders. Others to have made a pitch are: Blues, Canadiens, Penguins, Flyers, Rangers, Jets and Kings.

I'm not the biggest fan of doan so I really wouldn't mind if he signed elsewhere but te wings could really use a player like him IMO

All reports say he wants to play for a contender and Detroit isn't one with their current defense.

#143 arag

arag

1st Line Sniper

• HoF Booster
  • 776 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 02:47 PM

Doan will be good in any team. There are not many like him, who are wiling to work the way he does. Doans agent contacted Wings seeking and offer. Therefore this one is up to Kenny to bring to Detroit.

#144 kook_10

kook_10

I Like Our Team

• Gold Booster
  • 2,230 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 03:42 PM

Doan's got energy, attitude, and leadership....but Semin is veryyyy underrated defensively and Nash has the ability to put entire games on his back

Just depends on what kind of difference maker your looking for i guess

I mean a difference maker who steps up for big games and motivates his teammates through leadership. Semin and Nash are great players, but I don't think they would have any multiplier effect on the team. We have a fair bit of latent ability on the team, and pulling that out is almost more important than scoring goals in a vacuum.

[aside] Z can put entire games on his back too, but having to do so has been part of the problem the last few years.

Edited by kook_10, 11 July 2012 - 03:45 PM.

works every time

#145 LeftWinger

LeftWinger

42 years in Detroit! Time to spend the rest in paradise!

• Silver Booster
  • 8,642 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 06:10 PM

Realistic (negative) Prediction: Holland blows off Semin, who signs for less money and term than most expect elsewhere. Doan gets to July 16th (or later) and chooses either Pheonix or one of the California teams to stay close to family. Holland trades away too much for Nash or Ryan, or does nothing. Signs Lilja on defense. Holland says "we tried, but we like our team and didn't need to do more than tweak". Wings again put too many miles on Datsyuk and Zetterberg, while most others continue to be passengers. Defense is atrocious and the offensive production decreases. Improved goaltending backup in Gustavsson essentially wins games that Conklin otherwise lost last season, offsetting most of the lost points in the standing. Wings finish 6th, are out in the first round.

Too negative?

It's negative, but it's what we are all used to...difference is, this year he has $16M in Cap Space...he can spend it, but for some reason hasn't....He needs to s*** or get off, because if he waits and waits, then he is gonna miss out on everyone...

Doan now says he is gonna wait until the 16th? Come on! Talk about s*** or get off the pot! Holland, just offer Semin the money he would like for one year...continue to explore the trades and then when Doan decides to take off his training wheels see what he wants to do...This waiting for these UFA's is getting frickin stupid! I know its just a ploy by agents to get the best deals, but this is getting ridiculous...I guess we are all being held hostage this year, but I just wish Holland would just move forward with this team. If both Semin and Doan want to hem and haw then screw em! Go all Lewis and Clark on their ass and go forward with exploring the trade routes...

I know Holland is "Holland" and will wait until October...and then he will say something like you decribed, we are all used to it...

Don't Be Jealous, But I Live Here...

www.thinkdunes.com

Aww You Mad Bro? Are You Butt Hurt?

#146 Hatethedrake!

Hatethedrake!

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,496 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 06:17 PM

Doan's agent contacted the Wings and some other teams. The main reason for this could be for creating a bidding war to drive Doan's price up. Kenny will make an offer when Doan is actually serious about other teams. Right now it looks like he is waiting for Phoenix to pull a rabbit out if its hat so he can stay where he is.
Jordan Tootoo will wreck shop.

We need someone like Parise that can penetrate the box.-blueadams

#147 LeftWinger

LeftWinger

• Silver Booster
  • 8,642 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 06:27 PM

As mush as I would like Doan here, Holland needs to move forward...not unless he is putting all his eggs in Doans basket...

www.thinkdunes.com

#148 b.shanafan14

b.shanafan14

One good Swede deserves another!

• Silver Booster
  • 2,870 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 07:47 PM

As mush as I would like Doan here, Holland needs to move forward...not unless he is putting all his eggs in Doans basket...

I'd love to be wrong, but it seems that is exactly what it is. Just like he should have been spending time between wooing Suter to extend an offer to Garrison, since we needed two top-4 defensemen anyways. Instead, we missed out on everyone. And now, we'll see Semin go somewhere while we wait for Doan to decide he is confident enough to re-sign with Phoenix. You'd think we had $5 mil to the cap and had to choose one or the other... and had only to choose and get the player, because EVERYONE'S first choice is Detroit...

#149 VM1138

VM1138

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,521 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 07:54 PM

It's negative, but it's what we are all used to...difference is, this year he has $16M in Cap Space...he can spend it, but for some reason hasn't....He needs to s*** or get off, because if he waits and waits, then he is gonna miss out on everyone...

Doan now says he is gonna wait until the 16th? Come on! Talk about s*** or get off the pot! Holland, just offer Semin the money he would like for one year...continue to explore the trades and then when Doan decides to take off his training wheels see what he wants to do...This waiting for these UFA's is getting frickin stupid!

I realize everyone wants something to happen, but let's stop bashing the players, shall we? Parise and Suter took a whopping two days to decide. Doan is considering leaving the team he's been with his whole career and is obviously attached to. If Listrom (before retiring) was considering leaving the Wings through free agency, do you think he'd decide in a matter of days?

The truth is, the off-season lasts all summer. It's not a trade deadline. It's an ongoing process, and I don't begrudge Doan waiting two weeks to make a decision. We've got months to go still.
Check out my short e-book on the Red Wings' 1937 Stanley Cup championship entitled: "Nothing Could Keep 'Em Down." Please download it from my profile at Smashwords: https://www.smashwor...ile/view/victor

New e-book: The Spanish-American War: A Brief History. Relatively short, introductory read for casual history buffs and people who want to learn more about a forgotten war that changed America. Available at BN.com, Smashwords, Kobo, and Diesel E-Books right now. Same link as above.

#150 LeftWinger

LeftWinger

• Silver Booster
  • 8,642 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 08:00 PM

I realize everyone wants something to happen, but let's stop bashing the players, shall we? Parise and Suter took a whopping two days to decide. Doan is considering leaving the team he's been with his whole career and is obviously attached to. If Listrom (before retiring) was considering leaving the Wings through free agency, do you think he'd decide in a matter of days?

The truth is, the off-season lasts all summer. It's not a trade deadline. It's an ongoing process, and I don't begrudge Doan waiting two weeks to make a decision. We've got months to go still.

Yes, but TWO deadlines now....first he will decide on the 9th and start considering offers on the 10th....now he is waiting until the 16th....then what? Geez! Go ahead, take your time....summer is almost over anyhow...

www.thinkdunes.com

#151 chrisdetroit

chrisdetroit

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,407 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 08:21 PM

All reports say he wants to play for a contender and Detroit isn't one with their current defense.

But Pittsburgh is with their defense?
Do or do not. There is no try

#152 Detroit # 1 Fan

Detroit # 1 Fan

Truculence.

• HoF Booster
  • 19,045 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 10:45 PM

Now, I truly realize that people want to write off Pittsburghs series vs Philly as a fluke, but at the end of the day it wasn't. The Flyers were an average team, and theyf****** lit Pittsburgh up for 6 games. Yes, they have Letang and that's wonderful and everything but after that? Martin? Yeah, the guy they would've dealt to the Islanders for Garth Snow's loafers if they could've signed Suter. Michalek? Nope, traded back to Phoenix. Brooksie? He can't skate, and is less of an offensive threat then Ericsson. I get that they have Crosby, Malkin and Neal, but there defense is nothing to write home about. If Doan is looking for a "contender" then sign in LA then. Because Vancouver can get bent, The Sedins, Burrows and Kesler are disgraces to the game. Diving is disgusting, I'm glad the Wings lack in guys that do that s***. Do they have a star studded defense? Uh, no. Garrison? Hey the guy had a big year, don't get me wrong, but he's no #1. Bieksa and Hamhuis are a great pairing, but not a true 1-2 matchup. Edler is good, but no better then Kronwall.

I'm the absolute farthest thing from a homer, but christ boys and girls. The Wings are not the worst thing known to the earth like some make us out to be. (Not directed to the poster in question, but an observation) Cool, we didn't get Suter and Parise because they wanted to play together in some no talent market. Who cares? There not ours so move on, Doan is a viable option and the Wings would be the one team who could seriously use his attributes to get to the next step. We've been missing the crazy, do anything to win spirit for years. Doan brings that, and leadership, and goal scoring and so many other things. He's the perfect fit. Discount the Wings all you want, I've wanted more grit for years, I've wanted a more aggressive approach to the offseason, and we got that. We can't control that Parise and Suter don't want to win Stanley Cups, nothing we can do. All we can do, is watch a "written off" team possibly sign one of the more feared power forwards in the game, STILL compete for the Stanley Cup, and take a huge run at the true FA gems that can turn this team into the media darling it once was to get the fan boys (media, talking heads, morons etc.) back on board. Yes, I'm talking about Weber and Getzlaf/Perry wearing the Winged Wheel next offseason.

Edited by Detroit # 1 Fan, 11 July 2012 - 10:46 PM.

#NOMOREKINDL

#153 FlashyG

FlashyG

1st Line All-Star

• HoF Booster
  • 1,148 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 11:00 PM

I really believe that its not just Holland holding out on Semin in favor of Doan.

Babcock was very critical of the roster he was given this past season for not fitting his style of play. I'd be willing to wager its him who is adamant that they don't sign Semin and is leading the charge for Doan.

#154 VM1138

VM1138

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,521 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 11:24 PM

Yes, but TWO deadlines now....first he will decide on the 9th and start considering offers on the 10th....now he is waiting until the 16th....then what? Geez! Go ahead, take your time....summer is almost over anyhow...

He started fielding offers on the 10th, and he said he'd decide by the 16th? 6 days to decide your future sounds reasonable to me.
Check out my short e-book on the Red Wings' 1937 Stanley Cup championship entitled: "Nothing Could Keep 'Em Down." Please download it from my profile at Smashwords: https://www.smashwor...ile/view/victor

New e-book: The Spanish-American War: A Brief History. Relatively short, introductory read for casual history buffs and people who want to learn more about a forgotten war that changed America. Available at BN.com, Smashwords, Kobo, and Diesel E-Books right now. Same link as above.

#155 esteef

esteef

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 8,874 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 11:36 PM

He started fielding offers on the 10th, and he said he'd decide by the 16th? 6 days to decide your future sounds reasonable to me.

His future like forever, or just a year or three?

esteef
"The Wings haven't won a Cup without Darren McCarty since 1955."

#156 pucktividi

pucktividi

the usual suspect

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,330 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 07:24 AM

I really believe that its not just Holland holding out on Semin in favor of Doan.

Babcock was very critical of the roster he was given this past season for not fitting his style of play. I'd be willing to wager its him who is adamant that they don't sign Semin and is leading the charge for Doan.

And yet when some of the posters here dare to criticize Ken,they are labeled as bad,ungrateful fans and armchair GM's :colgate:

#157 VM1138

VM1138

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,521 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 07:37 AM

His future like forever, or just a year or three?

esteef

It still counts as his "future." It determines if he ever wins a Cup, if he betrays his fanbase, and if he moves away from his family for a couple of years.

The fact is, the first deadline he set was for deciding whether or not he'd even field offers (waiting for the GM to explain what's going on in Phoenix and what the future is there). Then he takes a whopping six days to field offers (assuming he decides on the 16th). Not unreasonable.

#158 ElCapitan

ElCapitan

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 212 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 10:24 AM

From Kukla's Korner: http://www.kuklaskor...n_standing_pat/

Alexander Semin’s waiting for one thing: Shane Doan. Once Doan signs, so will Semin. For less. If you think it’s his attitude that has kept Ken Holland from signing him already, you’re wrong. The Wing Way can solve attitude issues and I believe Semin would take a one-year deal to prove the anti-Semintics wrong.

But not until the Doan decision is made.

And yes, the Wings could use Semin. Of course, he’d play with Datsyuk. Of course he’d help the power play. Absolutely, without question he’d immediately attain Enigma status and he’d be a major topic of discussion, right here, every day. Good or bad.

Yes, Ken Holland’s considering him. And this is a lie:
MLive

“I don’t think we need a whole bunch of guys,” Holland said at Wednesday’s Hockeytown Winter Classic press conference. “I think if we can get one more player, (we’ll be fine).”

#159 edicius

edicius

Professional drinker.

• HoF Booster
  • 25,212 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 11:04 AM

Word right now on Twitter is that Doan's inking a deal with Phoenix today.

ABV_sig.png

Can't listen live? Check out MoreLikeRadio.org for show archives!

#160 Johnz96

Johnz96

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,423 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 09:09 AM

9.9% believe Doan will end up a Wing on the TSN poll on their hockey page