• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest blueadams

How bad are we if our roster is now finalized?

Rate this topic

Guest Johnz96

I still can't believe how ridickulous this post is

It was awful every year since 2008 (including 2009 SC). Makes me think it is more about players not wanting to work hard rather than 3 coaches who tried to run it.

Guest Crymson

With that said I'm sure that if Suter or Parise signed here, neither Dats or Z would have worn the "C".

You're absolutely wrong if you think that the captaincy would have gone to Suter or Parise.

Guest The Axe

Ericsson has a 100 mph + shot, and he doesnt run a point on the pp. Thats bad coaching.

Guest Crymson

It was awful every year since 2008 (including 2009 SC). Makes me think it is more about players not wanting to work hard rather than 3 coaches who tried to run it.

The PP was #3 in the league in 2008-2009. Is that not good enough for you? How about #9 in 2009-2010? #5 in 2010-2011? Is that "awful" to you?

Ericsson has a 100 mph + shot, and he doesnt run a point on the pp. Thats bad coaching.

Ericsson has never found a way to properly use his shot. My personal opinion is that it's a lack of confidence. Whatever the case, his shot seems to get blocked 80% of the time. You would know this if you watched Red Wings games, so I hope that you are being facetious.

Edited by Crymson

Guest The Axe

I havent seen Ericsson play on the 1st pp unit EVER. And i watch all the games. Everyone's shots get blocked 5 on 5.

Guest Johnz96

The PP was #3 in the league in 2008-2009. Is that not good enough for you? How about #9 in 2009-2010? #5 in 2010-2011? Is that "awful" to you?

Ericsson has never found a way to properly use his shot. My personal opinion is that it's a lack of confidence. Whatever the case, his shot seems to get blocked 80% of the time. You would know this if you watched Red Wings games, so I hope that you are being facetious.

It was actually #1 in 08-09 and probably the best PP in the league from 08-09 to now.

Saying something as wrong as that discredits anything that guy has to say

So what is everyone's opinion for another d-man? Let's assume that DET does not make a trade for a Yandle or Bouwmeester etc. Who are some names you'd like to see DET sign and for how much $ and term?

Some guys I think could fit the bill for various reasons on a 1 year deal that could be a band aid solution:

MIchael Rozsival (probably take more than a 1 year deal to sign)

Pavel Kubina (seems kind of washed up but in a limited role could be good)

Carlo Colaiacovo (def need more than a one year deal to sign him)

Shane Morrisonn (I'm meh on him)

Milan Jurcina (Wouldn't hate it, wouldn't love it)

Scott Hannan (pretty slow but could be useful as a 7th d-man)

Jim Vandermeer (could work out well and bring some physicality)

Cam Barker (had tons of potential and maybe needs to the right circumstance; he's still only 26)

Matt Gilroy (everyone loved him a few years ago, his defense is kinda wonky but at 27 he could be ok)

Marc-Andre Gragnani (his AHL numbers are pretty awesome and he hasn't been given a real shake at the NHL level yet and he just turned 25)

Guest Johnz96

I havent seen Ericsson play on the 1st pp unit EVER. And i watch all the games. Everyone's shots get blocked 5 on 5.

He has scored a PP goal in 16 minutes of PP time over the last 2 years whereas White didn't even score 1 with more than 230 mins of PP time last year. I would give him a chance and take a look.

O'Donnell is even slower now than he was five years ago, and he was pretty darned slow back then. Now he skates at a glacial pace. No thanks.

On the other hand: people still pay Hall Gill to play hockey so there's sure to be room for other guys who skate like my grammy.

To be fair a lot of the Wings' PP success is owed to Lidstrom's brilliant quarterbacking.

Guest The Axe

Johnz96,

Youre making sense. You know you cant do that around here. Bash big E, or stay out of it!!!

Lol. You couldn't possibly be anymore of a joke if you tried. Can't wait to see the Wild miss the playoffs again.

Well at least I make actual arguments and present actual evidence, you?

So even though Detroit still has a strong core of players and, according to expert pro scouts, has a better prospect pool than the Wild, they are nowhere near winning and the Wild are going to win 20 Cups?

Ooooo? Hope you had fun, but uh Tomas Tatar has played THREE season in GR totaling 204 games, 64G 83A TTL 147 PTS. But thanks for looking at one season. That is three years experience playing with MEN and other TOP prospects in the game. Hey if the AHL is so inferior, why doesn't the NHL just make their minor league affiliates all in the FInnish Local League? Listen, nobody is saying Granuld sucks, yet you come in here and say Tatar cannot sharpen his skates and he sucks...thats the difference between you and Red Wings fans, we acknowledge other teams good players, you and most other fans of other teams just come here and say how bad the Wings are going to be...yet that never happens...

Ya, he is so full of s*** that he could never get a job working for the number one broadcasting station in Canada and knows nothing about hockey or has any friends in the industry...he should be flipping burgers...

:D Funny thing is, I never said Detroit was on his short list, I said that HE said if it wasn't for family, he'd be back in NJ...You said he never said that, well again, he did, I proved it, now take your medicine and realize the truth. HE ONLY CHOSE MIN OVER NJ BECAUSE OF FAMILY. He didn't choose Detroit because they offered him fair market value, not an over inflated salary, because Detroit was on his first list until they wouldn't offer him MORE money...

Gee lets see, I just signed to play for a team for the next 13 years and when I get introduced and asked questions about the team, I am gonna say how bad the team is and how I already reget signing here...you are foolish! What do you expect them to say? They also said they loved playing in NJ/Nash and will give them every opportunity to offer them contracts... When a player signs somewhere and then at the presser comes in and says, "Man this team is bad, I only signed here for the money" post that video link up so we can all see it please...

Ok....even given proof you still don't get it... Let's see, #3 Sports franchise in ALL of sports, #1 in the NHL, 21 straight playoffs appearances, 4 Stanley Cups in 15 years, that's more than anyone else, most Presidents Trophies in the history of the Presidents Trophy, How many current and future HHOF players have worn the Winged Wheel....lets see, ya we are desperate fans for sure. Now, lets see, Minnesota....hmmmmm, had a franchise and the area didn't support it so it left and moved to Dallas, now another franchise who has only seen the playoff 3 times in its existence...I can understand why you as a hockey fan are so desperate to win something...hey maybe the Wild will beat us everytime this season, but that means nothing...come back when you win a Cup...Sorry I proved everything you said wrong, sorry I busted you out as a Wild fan and blew your cover when you were pretending to be a Wings fan (but I do understand you wanting to feel the joy we have felt since the late 80's.) Just go enjoy your hometown boys and feel glad that they wanted to play with their families...but always remember in the back of your head, if it weren't for family ties, Parise would be a Devil still and Suter would be a Red Wing...and guess what, they would have said the same exact things at those press conferences that they did at the Wild's...

I still don't understand how you think your prospects are better. Here's the link..again.. http://www.hockeysfuture.com/articles/72103/hockeys-future-organizational-rankings-spring-2012-1-10

2. Minnesota ...... 10. Detroit

That does not mean your prospects are better. 2. comes before 10 on the number line bud.

As for Tatar, again.. You just made the same argument but instead of using just last years numbers you used all 3 years. So.. 147points in 204 games = 147/204

So he's ACTUALLY a .72 PPG player.. My bad, I overestimated him. Granlund.. 3 years for IFK would be 127pts. in 119games so... 1.1PPG.. Still a point per game players in a league where he facing 26, 27 even 28 year old men. Some even older. Not to mention the league is defensive minded and yes, superior competition then the AHL. It's a professional league and has been called by many the 2nd or 3rd best league in the world behind the NHL. AHL isn't even top 5. If that's not enough for you, Granlund is also a more than a point per game player internationally. He's won 2 bronze medals as captain of the junior Finnish national team and a gold as the assistant captain on the Finnish World championship team, again... A MEN'S tournament. So no, I don't see how any of those prospects you have listed can even hold a candle to Granlund. Nyquist is the only one I would even let on the ice with Granlund.

Also, the only way your argument would hold water is if either of them were asked directly about the Wild's roster. They weren't. You clearly didn't even watch the press conference. They were asked "why Minnesota" basically. They said a few things. One was family as you already mentioned. They also mentioned that they think the Wild have the best prospects in the league. Parise actually said in an interview that he knows not all young players pan out but that he knows the importance of prospects. Fact of the matter is, they are the only way to build a successful team for the long term in the cap era. That's what the Wild have done and continue to do as they draft extremely well. They also mentioned that money had nothing to do with it because at a certain point, it doesn't matter how much you have you're going to be set for life. Both of them mentioned the chance to play together really interested them and the final reason they stated? The solid roster Minnesota already had. They both know where the Wild were through the 1st half of the year (on top of the NW Division). They volunteered their affection for the players already on the roster without being directly asked about it. Parise even said he would LOVE to play with Mikko Koivu because he thinks they play a similar game and that Mikko is one of the most underrated players in the league. Bottom line is Holland low balled them and didn't have enough appeal to even be in the final few teams for Parise. Again, they couldn't even get in to speak with Schultz while the Wild could. I won't even respond to the North Stars bit because you're obviously just trying to troll and I feel bad for you.

You can rest on your laurels all you want and say how much greater you are than a franchise that's 12 years old and pat yourself on the back for that.. But the fact remains that your two best players are past their primes, your best player and Captain just retired, your GM hasn't done anything to improve the franchise and your relying on Niklas Kronwall to apparently be your best defenseman.. Good luck with all that.

I agree with you about Lidstrom. Obviously he was the right guy to put the "C" on at the time. There was really no way around it. I'm not dissing Datsyuk or Zetterberg either. You can say what you want about awards that they've won or what have you. I just don't feel comfortable putting a "C" on either of those guys.

With that said I'm sure that if Suter or Parise signed here, neither Dats or Z would have worn the "C".

I can say without reservation that there's no chance the Wings would have handed Suter or Parise the C the moment they got here. Not even a slim chance. The biggest compliment they'll pay a recently signed or traded for player is an alternate A.

Well at least I make actual arguments and present actual evidence, you?

I still don't understand how you think your prospects are better. Here's the link..again.. http://www.hockeysfu...pring-2012-1-10

2. Minnesota ...... 10. Detroit

That does not mean your prospects are better. 2. comes before 10 on the number line bud.

As for Tatar, again.. You just made the same argument but instead of using just last years numbers you used all 3 years. So.. 147points in 204 games = 147/204

So he's ACTUALLY a .72 PPG player.. My bad, I overestimated him. Granlund.. 3 years for IFK would be 127pts. in 119games so... 1.1PPG.. Still a point per game players in a league where he facing 26, 27 even 28 year old men. Some even older. Not to mention the league is defensive minded and yes, superior competition then the AHL. It's a professional league and has been called by many the 2nd or 3rd best league in the world behind the NHL. AHL isn't even top 5. If that's not enough for you, Granlund is also a more than a point per game player internationally. He's won 2 bronze medals as captain of the junior Finnish national team and a gold as the assistant captain on the Finnish World championship team, again... A MEN'S tournament. So no, I don't see how any of those prospects you have listed can even hold a candle to Granlund. Nyquist is the only one I would even let on the ice with Granlund.

Also, the only way your argument would hold water is if either of them were asked directly about the Wild's roster. They weren't. You clearly didn't even watch the press conference. They were asked "why Minnesota" basically. They said a few things. One was family as you already mentioned. They also mentioned that they think the Wild have the best prospects in the league. Parise actually said in an interview that he knows not all young players pan out but that he knows the importance of prospects. Fact of the matter is, they are the only way to build a successful team for the long term in the cap era. That's what the Wild have done and continue to do as they draft extremely well. They also mentioned that money had nothing to do with it because at a certain point, it doesn't matter how much you have you're going to be set for life. Both of them mentioned the chance to play together really interested them and the final reason they stated? The solid roster Minnesota already had. They both know where the Wild were through the 1st half of the year (on top of the NW Division). They volunteered their affection for the players already on the roster without being directly asked about it. Parise even said he would LOVE to play with Mikko Koivu because he thinks they play a similar game and that Mikko is one of the most underrated players in the league. Bottom line is Holland low balled them and didn't have enough appeal to even be in the final few teams for Parise. Again, they couldn't even get in to speak with Schultz while the Wild could. I won't even respond to the North Stars bit because you're obviously just trying to troll and I feel bad for you.

You can rest on your laurels all you want and say how much greater you are than a franchise that's 12 years old and pat yourself on the back for that.. But the fact remains that your two best players are past their primes, your best player and Captain just retired, your GM hasn't done anything to improve the franchise and your relying on Niklas Kronwall to apparently be your best defenseman.. Good luck with all that.

:lol: It's pretty hilarious that you don't even bother pretending to be a Wings fan anymore. I miss the good old days when you lied to our faces about your fandom and Left had to post links to your messages on Wild fanboards.

http://www.hockeyprospectus.com/article.php?articleid=1347

Your argument is now officially invalid.

Guest Johnz96

:lol: It's pretty hilarious that you don't even bother pretending to be a Wings fan anymore. I miss the good old days when you lied to our faces about your fandom and Left had to post links to your messages on Wild fanboards.

http://www.hockeypro...?articleid=1347

Your argument is now officially invalid.

WTF is he doing here???

Cougar's welcome to Suter and Parise at 7.5mil x 13 years each. There's a reason why they went to a bottom feeder franchise with zero history of sustained success and that reason is traded for goods and services in the USA (hint: it's also green and rectangular).

WTF is he doing here???

Successfuly trolling more than half of the boards.

Guest Johnz96

He has scored a PP goal in 16 minutes of PP time over the last 2 years whereas White didn't even score 1 with more than 230 mins of PP time last year. I would give him a chance and take a look.

It's too bad Babcock won't, I bet he would be more effective than Sammy on the point on the PP but we will never know

Edited by haroldsnepsts
removed personal attack

Somehow I am getting the feeling, some people would rather overpay/mortage our future for the sake of it, instead of missing the playoffs for the first time since forever? Getting a bit tired of the stuff like "Holland doesn't do anything, he has lost it...." I'll ask you this, whom besides Doan do you consider a shortterm solution?

Keep in mind:

->Nash: au revoir Nyquist, Smith, Filpula +

->Semin: looking for longer contract we can't offer him that

->Carle: for 5,5 if so you can't be serious sorry.

->Purcell: 4.5? seriously Y

->Steve Ott: for a second line center? really

->Yandle: au revoie Nyquist, Smith, Franzen

This UFA pool is comparable to the draft, after the top 5 at best guys a huge dropoff. Shero who is deservingly called one of the best GMs currently hasn't done anything either, what about Poile from the Predators.

My point is that: its easy to lay down the blame hammer on Kenny, when you look at it though, there simple isn't anything outthere for the better GMs in the league right now.

I can say without reservation that there's no chance the Wings would have handed Suter or Parise the C the moment they got here. Not even a slim chance. The biggest compliment they'll pay a recently signed or traded for player is an alternate A.

They wouldnt even be given an A - not when there is already such an established group of leaders in DET. A new signing will not get an A when the probable letters are going to be:

C-Zetterberg

A-Datsyuk

A-Kronwall

A-Cleary

a true king of US-English? Wanna talk some Finnish, Russian or Swedish?

Edited by RusDRW