Photo
* * * * - 3 votes

How bad are we if our roster is now finalized?

• Please log in to reply
283 replies to this topic

#201 ShanahanMan

ShanahanMan

It's Now or Never, Kenny....

• Silver Booster
  • 5,445 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 08:33 PM

Who really cares about the Minnesota Wild anyway? The one positive I am taking from not getting Parise and Suter is that we have all kinds of Cap space for next summer to throw at Getzlaf, Perry and Weber when they become UFAs. I know these guys may not make it to UFA. I also know none of them may choose to sign with the Wings. But it's something positive to think about right now isn't it?

I'm sorry but that's the kind of mentality that got us into this pickle we're in.

I HATE JASON WILLIAMS

#202 xtrememachine1

xtrememachine1

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,390 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 08:51 PM

Who really cares about the Minnesota Wild anyway? The one positive I am taking from not getting Parise and Suter is that we have all kinds of Cap space for next summer to throw at Getzlaf, Perry and Weber when they become UFAs. I know these guys may not make it to UFA. I also know none of them may choose to sign with the Wings. But it's something positive to think about right now isn't it?

I'm all for positive thinking, but what this off season has taught us is that the Wings will not overpay for talent. They'll offer what they feel the player is worth and if they don't get them, they don't get them and they move on. If Getzlaf, Perry and Weber do become UFAs, the bidding on those players will be astronomical, so unless those players decide they want to play for Detroit, I'm not too optimistic about our chances of landing them.

#203 esteef

esteef

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 8,874 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 09:20 PM

I'm all for positive thinking, but what this off season has taught us is that the Wings will not overpay for talent. They'll offer what they feel the player is worth and if they don't get them, they don't get them and they move on. If Getzlaf, Perry and Weber do become UFAs, the bidding on those players will be astronomical, so unless those players decide they want to play for Detroit, I'm not too optimistic about our chances of landing them.

So in other words, as long as Kenny is running the show, we'll never get another top notch UFA because there will ALWAYS be bidding wars for them. He'll keep filling the roster with Ian White's and Dan Cleary's and the LGWers will all beat off to how much money we saved.

esteef
"The Wings haven't won a Cup without Darren McCarty since 1955."

#204 LeftWinger

LeftWinger

42 years in Detroit! Time to spend the rest in paradise!

• Silver Booster
  • 8,251 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 09:32 PM

Ya, waste $16M in cap space.....

Laugh it up, delete it all, I'll be laughing when it happens! -4/17/14

Money on the board: $30.00 plus immunity.

Franzen = 1.00 PPG

#205 wingsfan4795

wingsfan4795

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,595 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 10:17 PM

I'm sorry but that's the kind of mentality that got us into this pickle we're in.

I don't think LGW-ers have that much power...

So in other words, as long as Kenny is running the show, we'll never get another top notch UFA because there will ALWAYS be bidding wars for them. He'll keep filling the roster with Ian White's and Dan Cleary's and the LGWers will all beat off to how much money we saved.

esteef

Ian white turned out to be a major steal for us

Good rule of thumb is always take an octopus everywhere. Better to have one and not need it than find yourself thinking, "Damn, I wish I had that octopus".

-Buppy

#206 stevkrause

stevkrause

Legend

• Bronze Booster
  • 5,236 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 10:24 PM

esteef

No, he'll spend when it makes sense, not chase and over pay for above average players, or mid range guys, just because we have money or cap space, thus hand cuffing our team...

There were only two prizes this year, THAT'S IT

They chose to play in Minnesota together, and for a ridiculous amount at that, and it didn't mater what anyone else offered them, because their minds were already made up...

No one else in this FA class is worth the money, and more importantly, the term they've been getting... Other teams can continue to f' themselves with horrible contracts (Ville Leino says hello), I'll just sit back and be grateful the horrendous arm-chair GM's on LGW don't run this team, and we have someone like Holland to know the difference...

All I have to say about Holland and our off-season:

Here in this thread

Here in this one as well

Here in this one too

and finally

Here

Holland is a damn good GM. period.

#207 Detroit # 1 Fan

Detroit # 1 Fan

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 18,822 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 10:31 PM

How bad are we if this is our finalized roster for the season right now? Still a much better team then the Minnesota Wild (I realize I shouldn't bait the trolls, but christ almighty they've been raising hell and somehow still don't look at their defensive depth chart and realize even WITH Suter their defense pails in comparison to ours sans Lidstrom and Stuart :D)

Edited by Detroit # 1 Fan, 11 July 2012 - 10:32 PM.

#NOMOREKINDL

#208 esteef

esteef

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 8,874 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 10:35 PM

I got nothing against Ian White, but he's just another tire patch.

esteef

#209 Johnz96

Johnz96

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,423 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 10:43 PM

I don't think LGW-ers have that much power...

Individually no. Collectively we can be a force to be reckoned with

#210 stevkrause

stevkrause

Legend

• Bronze Booster
  • 5,236 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 10:47 PM

Oh, and it deeply pains me to admit this about my childhood idol and my favorite player of all time... but...

Yzerman hasn't done that great in Tampa, yet people are willing to anoint him the next coming of Lord Stanley himself, remove a GM who is at least partially responsible for 4 cups in the last 15 years, and give him the reigns, just because he makes more moves (on a team that failed to make the playoffs last year mind you)... Grass is greener mentality if there's ever been one...

Here in this thread

Here in this one as well

Here in this one too

and finally

Here

#211 esteef

esteef

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 8,874 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 10:48 PM

No, he'll spend when it makes sense, not chase and over pay for above average players, or mid range guys, just because we have money or cap space, thus hand cuffing our team...

There were only two prizes this year, THAT'S IT

They chose to play in Minnesota together, and for a ridiculous amount at that, and it didn't mater what anyone else offered them, because their minds were already made up...

No one else in this FA class is worth the money, and more importantly, the term they've been getting... Other teams can continue to f' themselves with horrible contracts (Ville Leino says hello), I'll just sit back and be grateful the horrendous arm-chair GM's on LGW don't run this team, and we have someone like Holland to know the difference...

So to summarize, Kenny's too cheap to get the players he really needs. No one's saying blow the whole f***in' wad every year, that's just your tired response to any Holland criticism whatsoever. I'm tired of seeing retreads and reclamation projects, and then a bunch of excuses on why he didn't do better in acquiring guys. The "everybody's too expensive" excuse is starting to wear thin, especially when he's holding 16 miliion dollars.

esteef

#212 stevkrause

stevkrause

Legend

• Bronze Booster
  • 5,236 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 10:49 PM

Individually no. Collectively we can be a force to be reckoned with

And own the whole interwebz?!?

Here in this thread

Here in this one as well

Here in this one too

and finally

Here

#213 stevkrause

stevkrause

Legend

• Bronze Booster
  • 5,236 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 10:54 PM

So to summarize, Kenny's too cheap to get the players he really needs. No one's saying blow the whole f***in' wad every year, that's just your tired response to any Holland criticism whatsoever. I'm tired of seeing retreads and reclamation projects, and then a bunch of excuses on why he didn't do better in acquiring guys. The "everybody's too expensive" excuse is starting to wear thin, especially when he's holding 16 miliion dollars.

esteef

Name one guy that's signed elsewhere, that would be an impact player, who was worth what they got? Just ONE? And furthermore, worth their TERM... You just ***** to *****... You're mentality is like saying you have 300k for a house, but all that's on the market is a bunch of shacks, and rather than NOT take out the mortgage, and wait for something to come on the market worth the money, you'd rather buy the 800 sq ft ranch at WAY over market value, because it's available now, in a horrible market... ridiculous...

Edited by stevkrause, 11 July 2012 - 10:57 PM.

Here in this thread

Here in this one as well

Here in this one too

and finally

Here

#214 esteef

esteef

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 8,874 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 11:04 PM

Name one guy that's signed elsewhere, that would be an impact player, who was worth what they got? Just ONE? And furthermore, worth their TERM... You just ***** to *****... You're mentality is like saying you have 300k for a house, but all that's on the market is a bunch of shacks, and rather than NOT take out the mortgage, and wait for something to come on the market worth the money, you'd rather buy the 800 sq ft ranch at WAY over market value, because it's available now, in a horrible market... ridiculous...

So does this mean EVERYONE has been overpriced for years now and that's why Kenny hasn't brought in anyone worth mentioning? EVERYONE? Come now... (and your housing analogy sux).

esteef

#215 Carman

Carman

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 5,113 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 11:10 PM

So does this mean EVERYONE has been overpriced for years now and that's why Kenny hasn't brought in anyone worth mentioning? EVERYONE? Come now... (and your housing analogy sux).

esteef

The other time he had money at Free Agency he brought in a 40 goal scorer.

#216 esteef

esteef

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 8,874 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 11:12 PM

The other time he had money at Free Agency he brought in a 40 goal scorer.

Yay! Give him a cookie! How about now?

esteef

#217 stevkrause

stevkrause

Legend

• Bronze Booster
  • 5,236 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 11:13 PM

esteef

Martian Hossa says hi... Now, re-signing him instead of Franzen is probably the only case one can make that I'll agree Holland got wrong, but that's still a big name signing...

The only reason you think the analogy sucks is because it's dead on, and you can't refute it...

Its fine to be pissed this off season hasn't gone the way we all wanted, but projecting and looking for someone to blame over details out of their control is ridiculous... Also, give me one example of a player in last years FA market worth their contract then? The last two years have been crap markets, and before that, we were right up against the cap AND coming off of back to back SCF... So, you were saying?

Here in this thread

Here in this one as well

Here in this one too

and finally

Here

#218 SwedeLundin77

SwedeLundin77

Over the Line!!!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,799 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 11:15 PM

esteef

You didn't answer the question. And Ian White is not another tire patch... ridiculous.

#219 stevkrause

stevkrause

Legend

• Bronze Booster
  • 5,236 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 11:15 PM

Yay! Give him a cookie! How about now?

esteef

What about now? I'm still waiting for a name... ONE guy that we realistically could have had, that would have made a major impact, that wasn't a horrible contract... ONE.

I'm going to sleep now, so I look forward to this tomorrow...

Here in this thread

Here in this one as well

Here in this one too

and finally

Here

#220 esteef

esteef

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 8,874 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 11:18 PM

Martian Hossa says hi... Now, re-signing him instead of Franzen is probably the only case one can make that I'll agree Holland got wrong, but that's still a big name signing...

The only reason you think the analogy sucks is because it's dead on, and you can't refute it...

Its fine to be pissed this off season hasn't gone the way we all wanted, but projecting and looking for someone to blame over details out of their control is ridiculous... Also, give me one example of a player in last years FA market worth their contract then? The last two years have been crap markets, and before that, we were right up against the cap AND coming off of back to back SCF... So, you were saying?

Why name names? So you can thumb your nose at every single one of them and come up with ficticious reasons as to why a trade or UFA signing that never happened anyway wouldn't have worked? I don't need nor want your agreement that much. And the analogy sucks because I it's unnecessary, I understand what you mean, I just disagree.

esteef