Photo
* * * * - 3 votes

How bad are we if our roster is now finalized?

• Please log in to reply
283 replies to this topic

#21 Motown4013

Motown4013

1st Line All-Star

• Silver Booster
  • 1,071 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 02:53 PM

Sammy's point totals since his first arrival in Detroit were:
45pts/71gms-DET - .63 ppg
34pts/53gms-DET - .64 ppg
40pts/73gms-DET - .55 ppg
53pts/74gms-VAN - .72 ppg
50pts/70gms-VAN - .71 ppg
31pts/54gms-VAN/FLA - .57 ppg

If we have Sammy putting up an average of .60 ppg and playing a far superior 2-way game to Hudler and getting 5-10 less points I'd take him any day of the week. Add Tootoo who had 30 points in 77 games getting garbage ice time on a team that sucks offensively at .38 ppg, i'd love that on the 3rd/4th lines along with the grit and intensity he brings. Right there along with Brunner, our 2nd-4th lines have been upgraded. The only thing we didn't get was an elite offensive talent, but we didn't lose that either and what left, has been replaced. The biggest blow is that we lost Lidstrom and since then it's been all doom and gloom here.

No matter what Kenny does this offseason, we still don't have Lidstrom to run the blue line, or Stuart to block shots more than anyone else and throw hits.

I can't wait for the season to start and for Nyquist and Brunner to start lighting the lamp and for Smith to be over .5 ppg in the top 4 instead of on the 3rd D pairing and making us forget that we lost Stuart to the Sharts. If the season started tomorrow, and assuming Quincey is in the starting lineup, I'd be fine with what we have right now. I'd like to add Vandermeer or Jurcina, but if our lineup looked like the folliwing when the puck dropped on the start of the season i'd be ok with it:

Mule-Dats-Nyquist
Brunner-Z-Flip
Sammy-Helm-Bert
Cleary-Abby-Tootoo
Mursak/Miller

Kronwall-Smith
Quincey-White
Ericsson-Kindl

Howard/Monster

I like that there's a lot of potential for a lot of guys to step up, and that the team is actually getting younger despite Z and Dats getting older.

Brunner looked pretty good playing on a heavy underdog Switzerland team at the world championships putitng up a point per game.

Not saying he didn't. He was absolutely dominant BUT I think its a different game. With small ice, the passes need to be crisper, the plays quicker. You get hit more and have less time to react. Its just a different game. You cant comapre them.
I like the Brunner signing but honestly, we have NO idea how he is going to react to the NHL game......I hope he kicks azz (obviously) but until he adjusts, who knows.
Also, just your point on Sammy...again, the career year came while playing between the Sedins. ANYBODYS PPG goes up playing the ham in the Sedin sandwich...just sayin'
Raising another Red Wings Fan!

The future looks bright in Hockeytown!
GUSTAV SNIPEQUIST!

#22 The Axe

The Axe

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,379 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 03:08 PM

.500 will be a stretch the way our team sits now. We are in need of AT LEAST 3 pieces. #1 D-man, Top-6 forward who SNIPES like a MF. Top 6 Forward who hits like a MF. If we don't add those, we're finished before it begins.

Recommendations:

1) Yandle - Only guy who can come close to replacing Lidstrom.
2) Ryan - He would do nicely on Dats' wing.
3) Doan - This guy would be a good 2 year signing.

If Kenny isn't at least thinking this way, he's not thinking at all.

#23 brett

brett

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,023 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 03:13 PM

i think the offense and goaltending could survive without change. but the defense yack

#24 Z Winged Dangler

Z Winged Dangler

Part 3: Return of the Hammer Hands

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,219 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 03:14 PM

I think leaving Eaves out of the lineup is a mistake.... he was hurt last season so many people seem to forget that we have him. He has a good speed, great defensive abilities, and can also pot us 15-20 goals with relatively low ice time. I strongly believe Eaves is going to get a better look at things this season and be consistently in the lineup.... Oh, and he's a right handed shot.

Oops :blind: I missed that one. I definitely would have Eaves in the lineup. It's hard to keep track of almost 20 fwd's at this point... On top of his RH shot, he's got a cannon off the one-timer.

"I play hockey, but I am not very good.  Can someone please tell me what it would take to sign with the Wings ? I can use a million or two."  ~ arag

Dan Cleary is an Xbox 360.  While good for a while, it's time for the new generation to take over.

#25 Z Winged Dangler

Z Winged Dangler

Part 3: Return of the Hammer Hands

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,219 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 03:20 PM

The only thing that bothers me about this roster is that Kenny will HAVE to eventually make a trade or we will have no Tatar up next season likely and no other forward prospects will get looks either... This is because of the deals he gave Bert, Sammy, and will likely give to Cleary. I want to bring some of our top 6 talent up from the AHL and give them a true shot next season. If that means trading Franzen for d help, letting cleary walk, or trading bertuzzi then so be it.

I'm in. Franzen and Pulkkinen for Yandle. No trading Flip.

"I play hockey, but I am not very good.  Can someone please tell me what it would take to sign with the Wings ? I can use a million or two."  ~ arag

Dan Cleary is an Xbox 360.  While good for a while, it's time for the new generation to take over.

#26 Frozen-Man

Frozen-Man

Thanks for the memories

• Gold Booster
  • 1,579 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 03:24 PM

I'm surprised how many people think Brunner is going to be an instant success here when he's never played North American hockey before...especially as he's on a two-way contract I wouldn't be surprised if he started in Grand Rapids but hey I'm old fashioned and wear a sensible cap.

Babcock must not wear one of those hats:

“The thing for us is he’s high, high paced, he scored, looks like he has tons of skill,'' Babcock said during the draft. “Can he adjust and play the North American game? We’re going to give him every opportunity. He’ll be a top-six forward to start with us and see where he goes with us.''

"Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience." - Mark Twain

#27 ShanahanMan

ShanahanMan

DUUUUUUUUH

• Silver Booster
  • 5,726 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 03:25 PM

A lot of you guys are in denial it seems. You speak as if Z and Dats were in their 20's still. They're aging forwards who will NEVER put up the numbers they once had, so don't expect them to.

Can you last remember when a team with a core of mid 30 year olds won a cup?

Without a talented youth injection, there is zero hope for us. This is simply not a playoff team.

I HATE JASON WILLIAMS

#28 dirtydangles

dirtydangles

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,850 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 03:28 PM

A lot of you guys are in denial it seems. You speak as if Z and Dats were in their 20's still. They're aging forwards who will NEVER put up the numbers they once had, so don't expect them to.

Without a talented youth injection, there is zero hope for us. This is simply not a playoff team.

THIS. I just wonder what it would take for everyone to lose faith in holland? Still so many people defend him tirelessly but I would be interested to know what it holland would have to do to lose your faith? Im really shaky right now, I'm hoping this is as bad as it gets and we will see an upturn but if it gets much worse I may have to go out and buy a pitchfork.

Edited by dirtydangles, 09 July 2012 - 03:29 PM.

Is there a kickstarter campaign for Jakub Kindl to never play another NHL game?

#29 LeftWinger

LeftWinger

42 years in Detroit! Time to spend the rest in paradise!

• Silver Booster
  • 8,736 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 03:31 PM

It's a crap team....no top 6 scorer we needed....no legit #1 defender....

I trust Kenny will NOT make this his roster come October, especially with $16M to spend...his excuses for years were that they were up against the Cap and couldn't get anyone...no excuses now...he tried hard for Suter, but just because he didn't get him don't cower away with your tail between your legs...Holland MUST make this team better TODAY...if this is his roster in October because he low-balled everyone then something must be done....

Don't Be Jealous, But I Live Here...

www.thinkdunes.com

Nestrasil, yes...Cleary....No!

Dump Q and K Now!

#30 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 03:35 PM

We were a 5 seed last season. We've gotten a lot, lot, lot worse defensively. We haven't improved that much offensively. Assuming that we're going to be a six seed next season like some of you are...

Red Wing arrogance and ignorance.

So says the consummate pessimist.

#31 Frozen-Man

Frozen-Man

Thanks for the memories

• Gold Booster
  • 1,579 posts

There should be a talented youth injection. The Wings have Smith, Nyquist, and Brunner (not to mention Helmer is pretty young. Additionally, several other young guys will probably get a chance to make the team.

Furthermore, there is no telling how this team will play. There has been talk since 2008 how the team doesn't seem motivated and lacks effort and passion. They have been dumped on by the media (and a good portion of their fan base) this off-season. Perhaps that lights a fire and now that they don't have front runner status and are more middle of the pack / underdog maybe they respond with that missing intensity. On paper they have some problems but they may have some intangibles that they have been lacking the past few years.

"Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience." - Mark Twain

#32 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Thank goodness we have you here to tell us that we should lose hope! Otherwise we might end up being disappointed, right?

Edited by Crymson, 09 July 2012 - 03:36 PM.

#33 Heaten

Heaten

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,639 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 03:44 PM

Smith, Tatar, and Nyquist are youth movement, but people want a 35 year old Doan. The other half of people think teams are lining up to trade their Drew Doughty's and Keith Yandles' to Kenny Holland for Emmerton and Mursak....and anything less is viewed as a failure.

Damn you Kenny, Trade Emmerton and our 5th rounder for Hedman and Stamkos. Do.It.Now!!!!11

Wings are doomed!

Edited by Heaten, 09 July 2012 - 03:42 PM.

#34 GoWings1905

GoWings1905

Legend

• Gold Booster
  • 5,396 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 03:47 PM

Thank goodness we have you here to tell us that we should lose hope! Otherwise we might end up being disappointed, right?

At least he used some logic and reasoning to explain his opinion.

Instead of just attacking a differing viewpoint, what are the reasons you believe the Red Wings will be as good or better than last season with this roster?

"To whom much is given, much is expected."

#35 uk_redwing

uk_redwing

#25 Jamie Tardif

• Gold Booster
  • 3,852 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 04:04 PM

Babcock must not wear one of those hats:

Whether he was talking about pre-season or the opening game, who knows.

Posted Image
Turtling is for the weak
Grand Rapids Griffins Fights

#36 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 04:08 PM

At least he used some logic and reasoning to explain his opinion.

Instead of just attacking a differing viewpoint, what are the reasons you believe the Red Wings will be as good or better than last season with this roster?

I think that there is no reason to conclude, before the season even begins, that this team cannot make the playoffs.

#37 Frozen-Man

Frozen-Man

Thanks for the memories

• Gold Booster
  • 1,579 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 04:14 PM

Whether he was talking about pre-season or the opening game, who knows.

Perhaps he was talking about only the preseason but that is not the way he made it sound. It also makes the insinuation that others who think the will start in the season on the Wings are not "wear[ing their] sensible cap"

#38 ValpoHockey

ValpoHockey

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 202 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 05:02 PM

The Wings were banged up all year and Howard wasn't the same after his injury. Cleary, Helm, Hank, and Dats played banged up the whole second half of the year. While I don't believe the Wings are as talented as last year, they do have the potential to win a cup. I mean the Kings won the cup last year... If the Wings stay healthy and get their power play together, I think they'll definitely be able to make a run with what they got. Younger players will need to step up.

#39 hillbillywingsfan

hillbillywingsfan

Awww poor butch

• Gold Booster
  • 3,588 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 05:34 PM

The Wings were banged up all year and Howard wasn't the same after his injury. Cleary, Helm, Hank, and Dats played banged up the whole second half of the year. While I don't believe the Wings are as talented as last year, they do have the potential to win a cup. I mean the Kings won the cup last year... If the Wings stay healthy and get their power play together, I think they'll definitely be able to make a run with what they got. Younger players will need to step up.

now now

Posted Image
msg-10491-1258682020.jpg

I LIVE IN TEXAS SO I DON'T DESERVE HOCKEY

#40 LeftWinger

LeftWinger

42 years in Detroit! Time to spend the rest in paradise!

• Silver Booster
  • 8,736 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 05:37 PM

.500 will be a stretch the way our team sits now. We are in need of AT LEAST 3 pieces. #1 D-man, Top-6 forward who SNIPES like a MF. Top 6 Forward who hits like a MF. If we don't add those, we're finished before it begins.

Recommendations:

1) Yandle - Only guy who can come close to replacing Lidstrom.
2) Ryan - He would do nicely on Dats' wing.
3) Doan - This guy would be a good 2 year signing.

If Kenny isn't at least thinking this way, he's not thinking at all.

Well considering that all news reports that have come out have said that Holland has inquired about: Ryan, Nash & Yandle along with Doan, I would say Kenny is thinking that way, but it all depends on what the prices are....

Don't Be Jealous, But I Live Here...

www.thinkdunes.com

Nestrasil, yes...Cleary....No!

Dump Q and K Now!