Photo
* * * * - 3 votes

How bad are we if our roster is now finalized?

• Please log in to reply
283 replies to this topic

#41 GoWings1905

GoWings1905

Legend

• Gold Booster
  • 5,225 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 05:39 PM

I think that there is no reason to conclude, before the season even begins, that this team cannot make the playoffs.

Fair enough in the sense that there is still plenty of time for Holland to improve the team.

As of right now, however, I don't think it is that unreasonable to call the Red Wings a borderline playoff team.

"To whom much is given, much is expected."

#42 LeftWinger

LeftWinger

42 years in Detroit! Time to spend the rest in paradise!

• Silver Booster
  • 8,568 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 05:39 PM

Should make the playoffs in the 6th spot. If everyone pulls their weight and clicks, we should make top4 in the west. We already improved the backup goalie, Zetterberg shouldn't start of cold this year, and Helm and Cleary will be healthy.

It's not that bad.

EDIT:

And we upgraded Hudler to Sammy.

Not to mention, if Flip isn't traded he is in a contract year so he should top 60 points this year!!!

Don't Be Jealous Because I Live Here...

www.thinkdunes.com

#43 LeftWinger

LeftWinger

42 years in Detroit! Time to spend the rest in paradise!

• Silver Booster
  • 8,568 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 05:57 PM

A lot of you guys are in denial it seems. You speak as if Z and Dats were in their 20's still. They're aging forwards who will NEVER put up the numbers they once had, so don't expect them to.

Can you last remember when a team with a core of mid 30 year olds won a cup?

Without a talented youth injection, there is zero hope for us. This is simply not a playoff team.

Hmmmm....it's kind of hard to find one.....hmmmm.....

Igor Larionov 41
Chris Chelios 40
Brett Hull 37
Dominik Hasek 37
Steve Yzerman 36
Steve Duchesne 36
Luc Robitaille 35
Fredrik Olausson 35
Brent Gilchrist 34
Brendan Shanahan 33
Sergei Fedorov 32
Nicklas Lidstrom 31
Kris Draper 30

Man, these guys were old! I know they are mostly HOF's, but you asked if we remembered the last time a team with the core of mid 30's won a Cup.....

Edited by LeftWinger, 09 July 2012 - 06:07 PM.

Don't Be Jealous Because I Live Here...

www.thinkdunes.com

#44 Johnz96

Johnz96

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,423 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 06:04 PM

On the bright side, probable contenders for the first overall pick in 2013

I was being sarcastic

#45 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,639 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 07:16 PM

That lineup would be lucky to make the playoffs.

I think they'll make at least one improvement until then, but I don't expect our lineup to look that much different than what the OP wrote. We'll see what Holland does until then to avoid having this lineup.
According to my profile, my reputation is excellent. LOL.

#46 jollymania

jollymania

Heavy Hitter

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,610 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 07:22 PM

they could make the playoffs, don't know about winning the cup
"I assure you the hits along the boards he(Aaron Downey) constantly threw SEVERAL TIMES EVERY SHIFT were far more damaging hits that what Kronwall throws."
- uk_redwing
HockeyArchive Twitter

#47 ShanahanMan

ShanahanMan

DUUUUUUUUH

• Silver Booster
  • 5,648 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 07:31 PM

Hmmmm....it's kind of hard to find one.....hmmmm.....

Igor Larionov 41
Chris Chelios 40
Brett Hull 37
Dominik Hasek 37
Steve Yzerman 36
Steve Duchesne 36
Luc Robitaille 35
Fredrik Olausson 35
Brent Gilchrist 34
Brendan Shanahan 33
Sergei Fedorov 32
Nicklas Lidstrom 31
Kris Draper 30

Man, these guys were old! I know they are mostly HOF's, but you asked if we remembered the last time a team with the core of mid 30's won a Cup.....

Considering 8 of those players are considered some of the best to ever player the game, and most people compare the 02 team to icing an All-Star team, so yeah....rare case ;).

Edited by ShanahanMan, 09 July 2012 - 07:32 PM.

I HATE JASON WILLIAMS

#48 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,639 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 07:32 PM

they could make the playoffs, don't know about winning the cup

LOL. What Cup is that? The cup of Christ?

Howard would have to steal every playoff series for us to win. So far, he's been decent in his career, but nothing spectacular in the playoffs. He's only beaten Bryzgalov and that's it.

#49 number9

number9

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,185 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 07:36 PM

blah blah blah border line playoff team blah blah blah first round exit

BUT WAIT!

Quincey returns to his regular self! Kronners steps it up to fill Lidstroms shoes! Smith lives up to the hype and is the hottest young d-man! Kindl finally showing he was worth the 1st round pick! Howie and Monster are a dominating duo between the pipes! Tootoo puts up another 30 pts on the fourth line! Brunner turns out to be a faster and grittier Hudler! Nyquist makes the team at training camp and solidifies himself as a young gun top-6er!

Don't be so dead set on us "sucking"....all of the above are possible and even likely scenarios. Not saying we will win the presidents trophy or the cup next year but it could very well happen, were still one of the best teams around. Or we could be an 8 seed and go out in the first round. Who really knows, it's way to early to tell.

#50 wingsownnhl43

wingsownnhl43

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 586 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 07:44 PM

I don't think the roster is that bad it's just unknown which understandably concerns people.

The offense as it stands is better than it was last season. I'll take Samuelsson and Tootoo over Hudler and Holmstrom, and I like the full time incorporation of some youth with Nyquist and Brunner. Tootoo gives the team an element we've desperately needed, and this would only be magnified if we are able to sign Shane Doan.

On defense, I think Brendan Smith is ready to step in and fulfill Brad Stuart's role. I really don't think he will be a huge loss. Obviously you dont replace Nick Lidstrom, but Kronwall, Ericsson, Quincey, and Kindl all have the potential to get better.

I expect a lot of growth from within and if we open the season with the current roster I'd expect a 5 or a 6 seed.

#51 centcougar07

centcougar07

Rookie

• Pip
  • 139 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 07:45 PM

blah blah blah border line playoff team blah blah blah first round exit

BUT WAIT!

Quincey returns to his regular self! Kronners steps it up to fill Lidstroms shoes! Smith lives up to the hype and is the hottest young d-man! Kindl finally showing he was worth the 1st round pick! Howie and Monster are a dominating duo between the pipes! Tootoo puts up another 30 pts on the fourth line! Brunner turns out to be a faster and grittier Hudler! Nyquist makes the team at training camp and solidifies himself as a young gun top-6er!

Don't be so dead set on us "sucking"....all of the above are possible and even likely scenarios. Not saying we will win the presidents trophy or the cup next year but it could very well happen, were still one of the best teams around. Or we could be an 8 seed and go out in the first round. Who really knows, it's way to early to tell.

Lol.. Might win the Presidents trophy and the cup next year eh? Yes, I can see it now. Lose Lidstrom and Stuart and add nobody on the back end. Damien Brunner is the biggest signing of the year... So I have only one thing to say to that. In the words of Emilio Estevez when he played Billy the Kid in Young Guns.. "I wouldn't give a bucket of piss for your future."

P.S. Holland better get on his horse and start making some improvements on this roster or you guys are going to be Royally Fuc*ked

Edited by centcougar07, 09 July 2012 - 07:46 PM.

#52 The Axe

The Axe

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,379 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 07:49 PM

Ha ha. I'll make you famous.

#53 jollymania

jollymania

Heavy Hitter

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,610 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 07:52 PM

LOL. What Cup is that? The cup of Christ?

Howard would have to steal every playoff series for us to win. So far, he's been decent in his career, but nothing spectacular in the playoffs. He's only beaten Bryzgalov and that's it.

Look at how much parity there is in the league. We aren't the leafs so we aren't guaranteed not to make the playoffs.
"I assure you the hits along the boards he(Aaron Downey) constantly threw SEVERAL TIMES EVERY SHIFT were far more damaging hits that what Kronwall throws."
- uk_redwing
HockeyArchive Twitter

#54 frankgrimes

frankgrimes

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,729 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 07:55 PM

I doubt this will be the final roster, bit if it indeed is, we'll be fighting for the playoffs.
Still better than risking the future for shortterm help I guess.
Can't wait to see what Smith and Nyquist can do.

kftx.jpg

The Offseason of truth ...

Welcome to hockeytown Jonas aka Lundquist 2 Gustavsson!

blank cheque for The Captain or Jim Star Nil please..

#55 beachwing

beachwing

Reader

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,253 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 08:11 PM

We could just as easily win the cup as we could suck.

How many of you actually follow hockey?

Geesus the LA kings from a month ago is all the farther you have to look.....hell after Rinne shut us down a lot of you were crowning the preds.

#56 GoWings1905

GoWings1905

Legend

• Gold Booster
  • 5,225 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 08:11 PM

Lol.. Might win the Presidents trophy and the cup next year eh? Yes, I can see it now. Lose Lidstrom and Stuart and add nobody on the back end. Damien Brunner is the biggest signing of the year... So I have only one thing to say to that. In the words of Emilio Estevez when he played Billy the Kid in Young Guns.. "I wouldn't give a bucket of piss for your future."

P.S. Holland better get on his horse and start making some improvements on this roster or you guys are going to be Royally Fuc*ked

Why do you care if Holland improves the roster? Aren't you here to sell us on the powerhouse Minnesota Wild?

"To whom much is given, much is expected."

#57 Z Winged Dangler

Z Winged Dangler

Part 3: Return of the Hammer Hands

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,167 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 08:31 PM

Smith, Tatar, and Nyquist are youth movement, but people want a 35 year old Doan. The other half of people think teams are lining up to trade their Drew Doughty's and Keith Yandles' to Kenny Holland for Emmerton and Mursak....and anything less is viewed as a failure.

Damn you Kenny, Trade Emmerton and our 5th rounder for Hedman and Stamkos. Do.It.Now!!!!11

Wings are doomed!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3n3a3mZExvo

Hmm....looked like my favourite player in his 20's on that 2nd goal. i forgot about that game. quite the snipe by Gus. Geez, maybe he can do that again this year if he doesn't get pawned off on the 4th line to play with Homer and Emmerton.

Free darkmanx!

"I play hockey, but I am not very good.  Can someone please tell me what it would take to sign with the Wings ? I can use a million or two."  ~ arag

#58 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,639 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 08:34 PM

Look at how much parity there is in the league. We aren't the leafs so we aren't guaranteed not to make the playoffs.

I didn't say we were guaranteed to miss the playoffs. I said this was a borderline playoff team.

But any talk of the Cup right now is a little silly. Unless Holland makes a big addition of some kind.

#59 number9

number9

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,185 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 08:35 PM

COUGAR!!!! I thought u were gone for good after you pretended to be a wings fan on here for like a month and then we all forced you out of the closet lmao

Glad to see you didn't read my post either, just like old times :) I'll break it down again for you so it's easier to understand, ok?

My point was: could we dominate and win all kinds of trophies? yes, we COULD. Could we also barely make the playoffs and exit in the first again? yes, we COULD. We simply don't know what Brunner, Nyquist, Smith, or Kindl will play like, there are many possibilities. We also don't know if there are more additions or trades coming so hold your trolling!!!!

See the keyword there was COULD. Hope that helps you this time around!!!

#60 jollymania

jollymania

Heavy Hitter

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,610 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 08:36 PM

I didn't say we were guaranteed to miss the playoffs. I said this was a borderline playoff team.

But any talk of the Cup right now is a little silly. Unless Holland makes a big addition of some kind.

that is why i said i don't think so, then you comment back like i was saying something else. But there is a whole season to make us cup-ready and cmon, do you think the devils roster was anything special?
- uk_redwing
HockeyArchive Twitter