Photo
* * * * - 3 votes

How bad are we if our roster is now finalized?

• Please log in to reply
283 replies to this topic

#141 Drake_Marcus

Drake_Marcus

Pariah

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,336 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 05:37 PM

Well at least I make actual arguments and present actual evidence, you?

I still don't understand how you think your prospects are better. Here's the link..again.. http://www.hockeysfu...pring-2012-1-10

2. Minnesota ...... 10. Detroit

That does not mean your prospects are better. 2. comes before 10 on the number line bud.

As for Tatar, again.. You just made the same argument but instead of using just last years numbers you used all 3 years. So.. 147points in 204 games = 147/204

So he's ACTUALLY a .72 PPG player.. My bad, I overestimated him. Granlund.. 3 years for IFK would be 127pts. in 119games so... 1.1PPG.. Still a point per game players in a league where he facing 26, 27 even 28 year old men. Some even older. Not to mention the league is defensive minded and yes, superior competition then the AHL. It's a professional league and has been called by many the 2nd or 3rd best league in the world behind the NHL. AHL isn't even top 5. If that's not enough for you, Granlund is also a more than a point per game player internationally. He's won 2 bronze medals as captain of the junior Finnish national team and a gold as the assistant captain on the Finnish World championship team, again... A MEN'S tournament. So no, I don't see how any of those prospects you have listed can even hold a candle to Granlund. Nyquist is the only one I would even let on the ice with Granlund.

Also, the only way your argument would hold water is if either of them were asked directly about the Wild's roster. They weren't. You clearly didn't even watch the press conference. They were asked "why Minnesota" basically. They said a few things. One was family as you already mentioned. They also mentioned that they think the Wild have the best prospects in the league. Parise actually said in an interview that he knows not all young players pan out but that he knows the importance of prospects. Fact of the matter is, they are the only way to build a successful team for the long term in the cap era. That's what the Wild have done and continue to do as they draft extremely well. They also mentioned that money had nothing to do with it because at a certain point, it doesn't matter how much you have you're going to be set for life. Both of them mentioned the chance to play together really interested them and the final reason they stated? The solid roster Minnesota already had. They both know where the Wild were through the 1st half of the year (on top of the NW Division). They volunteered their affection for the players already on the roster without being directly asked about it. Parise even said he would LOVE to play with Mikko Koivu because he thinks they play a similar game and that Mikko is one of the most underrated players in the league. Bottom line is Holland low balled them and didn't have enough appeal to even be in the final few teams for Parise. Again, they couldn't even get in to speak with Schultz while the Wild could. I won't even respond to the North Stars bit because you're obviously just trying to troll and I feel bad for you.

You can rest on your laurels all you want and say how much greater you are than a franchise that's 12 years old and pat yourself on the back for that.. But the fact remains that your two best players are past their primes, your best player and Captain just retired, your GM hasn't done anything to improve the franchise and your relying on Niklas Kronwall to apparently be your best defenseman.. Good luck with all that.

:lol: It's pretty hilarious that you don't even bother pretending to be a Wings fan anymore. I miss the good old days when you lied to our faces about your fandom and Left had to post links to your messages on Wild fanboards.

http://www.hockeypro...?articleid=1347

Your argument is now officially invalid.
Dedicated to lulz once lost:
Posted Image
Thanks TeeMan!

"We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas
of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage" --H.P. Lovecraft

#142 Johnz96

Johnz96

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,423 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 05:38 PM

We need Yandle

No we don't

#143 Drake_Marcus

Drake_Marcus

Pariah

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,336 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 05:39 PM

Cougar is speaking some harsh truths.

Cougar's a Wild fan speaking out of his ass. Two very good players aren't going to push a team who can't even win a playoff round into Cup contenders.
Posted Image
Thanks TeeMan!

#144 Johnz96

Johnz96

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,423 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 05:41 PM

:lol: It's pretty hilarious that you don't even bother pretending to be a Wings fan anymore. I miss the good old days when you lied to our faces about your fandom and Left had to post links to your messages on Wild fanboards.

http://www.hockeypro...?articleid=1347

Your argument is now officially invalid.

WTF is he doing here???

#145 Drake_Marcus

Drake_Marcus

Pariah

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,336 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 05:42 PM

Cougar's welcome to Suter and Parise at 7.5mil x 13 years each. There's a reason why they went to a bottom feeder franchise with zero history of sustained success and that reason is traded for goods and services in the USA (hint: it's also green and rectangular).

WTF is he doing here???

Successfuly trolling more than half of the boards.
Posted Image
Thanks TeeMan!

#146 Johnz96

Johnz96

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,423 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 05:45 PM

He has scored a PP goal in 16 minutes of PP time over the last 2 years whereas White didn't even score 1 with more than 230 mins of PP time last year. I would give him a chance and take a look.

It's too bad Babcock won't, I bet he would be more effective than Sammy on the point on the PP but we will never know

Edited by haroldsnepsts, 10 July 2012 - 06:01 PM.
removed personal attack

#147 The Axe

The Axe

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,379 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 05:45 PM

The Wings and ALL their fans wanted these guys, Drake. You included.

#148 frankgrimes

frankgrimes

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,931 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 05:46 PM

Somehow I am getting the feeling, some people would rather overpay/mortage our future for the sake of it, instead of missing the playoffs for the first time since forever? Getting a bit tired of the stuff like "Holland doesn't do anything, he has lost it...." I'll ask you this, whom besides Doan do you consider a shortterm solution?

Keep in mind:

->Nash: au revoir Nyquist, Smith, Filpula +
->Semin: looking for longer contract we can't offer him that
->Carle: for 5,5 if so you can't be serious sorry.
->Purcell: 4.5? seriously Y
->Steve Ott: for a second line center? really
->Yandle: au revoie Nyquist, Smith, Franzen

This UFA pool is comparable to the draft, after the top 5 at best guys a huge dropoff. Shero who is deservingly called one of the best GMs currently hasn't done anything either, what about Poile from the Predators.

My point is that: its easy to lay down the blame hammer on Kenny, when you look at it though, there simple isn't anything outthere for the better GMs in the league right now.

kftx.jpg

The Offseason of truth ...

Welcome to hockeytown Jonas aka Lundquist 2 Gustavsson!

blank cheque for The Captain or Jim Star Nil please..

#149 mmamolo

mmamolo

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,809 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 05:51 PM

I can say without reservation that there's no chance the Wings would have handed Suter or Parise the C the moment they got here. Not even a slim chance. The biggest compliment they'll pay a recently signed or traded for player is an alternate A.

They wouldnt even be given an A - not when there is already such an established group of leaders in DET. A new signing will not get an A when the probable letters are going to be:
C-Zetterberg
A-Datsyuk
A-Kronwall
A-Cleary
Posted Imagewww.unsportsmanlike.ca

#150 RusDRW

RusDRW

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,348 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 05:52 PM

I still can't believe how ridickulous this post is

I still can't believe how ridickulous this post is

a true king of US-English? Wanna talk some Finnish, Russian or Swedish?

Edited by RusDRW, 10 July 2012 - 05:52 PM.

Sweet. This dude was brought here for one reason, to punch people in the head - every other thing that he can do, other Wings can do better. I like that we have a head-puncher. The league has other, better head-punchers, but this one is ours. Better than nothing. Good work, Kenny!

© mikah

#151 Hatethedrake!

Hatethedrake!

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,496 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 05:54 PM

O'Donnell is even slower now than he was five years ago, and he was pretty darned slow back then. Now he skates at a glacial pace. No thanks.

Who would you suggest Holland acquire as the 6th-7th dman?
Jordan Tootoo will wreck shop.

We need someone like Parise that can penetrate the box.-blueadams

#152 The Axe

The Axe

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,379 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 05:56 PM

My Z jersey has no letter on it. Either im getting old or he's come a long way!

#153 Johnz96

Johnz96

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,423 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 06:06 PM

a true king of US-English? Wanna talk some Finnish, Russian or Swedish?

Do you realize that this PP that you say has been awful the last 4 years is probably the best PP there is over those 4 years?

The Wings and ALL their fans wanted these guys, Drake. You included.

I didn't

#154 Z Winged Dangler

Z Winged Dangler

Part 3: Return of the Hammer Hands

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,199 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 06:16 PM

So what is everyone's opinion for another d-man? Let's assume that DET does not make a trade for a Yandle or Bouwmeester etc. Who are some names you'd like to see DET sign and for how much $ and term?

Some guys I think could fit the bill for various reasons on a 1 year deal that could be a band aid solution:

MIchael Rozsival (probably take more than a 1 year deal to sign)
Pavel Kubina (seems kind of washed up but in a limited role could be good)
Carlo Colaiacovo (def need more than a one year deal to sign him)
Shane Morrisonn (I'm meh on him)
Milan Jurcina (Wouldn't hate it, wouldn't love it)
Scott Hannan (pretty slow but could be useful as a 7th d-man)
Jim Vandermeer (could work out well and bring some physicality)
Cam Barker (had tons of potential and maybe needs to the right circumstance; he's still only 26)
Matt Gilroy (everyone loved him a few years ago, his defense is kinda wonky but at 27 he could be ok)
Marc-Andre Gragnani (his AHL numbers are pretty awesome and he hasn't been given a real shake at the NHL level yet and he just turned 25)

Vandermeer, Jurcina or i'm very interested if we can get Barker. He was awesome up until he left Chicago and i think he'd get back on track playing in Detroit. Him and Kronwall would be a pretty good pairing.

They wouldnt even be given an A - not when there is already such an established group of leaders in DET. A new signing will not get an A when the probable letters are going to be:
C-Zetterberg
A-Datsyuk
A-Kronwall
A-Cleary

Personally, I think Filppula should get the 3rd A if one is still to be given out. Especially is he is next on the list after Z.

"I play hockey, but I am not very good.  Can someone please tell me what it would take to sign with the Wings ? I can use a million or two."  ~ arag

Dan Cleary is an Xbox 360.  While good for a while, it's time for the new generation to take over.

#155 mmamolo

mmamolo

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,809 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 06:17 PM

Vandermeer, Jurcina or i'm very interested if we can get Barker. He was awesome up until he left Chicago and i think he'd get back on track playing in Detroit. Him and Kronwall would be a pretty good pairing.

I'd be interested in any of those guys too. Barker would be the highest risk vs. reward. I don't understand how he has fallen so far. I was reading a few other boards today and it seems as though a lot of people find him extremely lazy.

I think I'd be most interested in Gragnani though. Any of the young guys would probably take a 1 year deal and could really turn into something if they can tap into that potential

#156 LeftWinger

LeftWinger

42 years in Detroit! Time to spend the rest in paradise!

• Silver Booster
  • 8,626 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 06:19 PM

Well at least I make actual arguments and present actual evidence, you?

I still don't understand how you think your prospects are better. Here's the link..again.. http://www.hockeysfu...pring-2012-1-10

2. Minnesota ...... 10. Detroit

That does not mean your prospects are better. 2. comes before 10 on the number line bud.

As for Tatar, again.. You just made the same argument but instead of using just last years numbers you used all 3 years. So.. 147points in 204 games = 147/204

So he's ACTUALLY a .72 PPG player.. My bad, I overestimated him. Granlund.. 3 years for IFK would be 127pts. in 119games so... 1.1PPG.. Still a point per game players in a league where he facing 26, 27 even 28 year old men. Some even older. Not to mention the league is defensive minded and yes, superior competition then the AHL. It's a professional league and has been called by many the 2nd or 3rd best league in the world behind the NHL. AHL isn't even top 5. If that's not enough for you, Granlund is also a more than a point per game player internationally. He's won 2 bronze medals as captain of the junior Finnish national team and a gold as the assistant captain on the Finnish World championship team, again... A MEN'S tournament. So no, I don't see how any of those prospects you have listed can even hold a candle to Granlund. Nyquist is the only one I would even let on the ice with Granlund.

Also, the only way your argument would hold water is if either of them were asked directly about the Wild's roster. They weren't. You clearly didn't even watch the press conference. They were asked "why Minnesota" basically. They said a few things. One was family as you already mentioned. They also mentioned that they think the Wild have the best prospects in the league. Parise actually said in an interview that he knows not all young players pan out but that he knows the importance of prospects. Fact of the matter is, they are the only way to build a successful team for the long term in the cap era. That's what the Wild have done and continue to do as they draft extremely well. They also mentioned that money had nothing to do with it because at a certain point, it doesn't matter how much you have you're going to be set for life. Both of them mentioned the chance to play together really interested them and the final reason they stated? The solid roster Minnesota already had. They both know where the Wild were through the 1st half of the year (on top of the NW Division). They volunteered their affection for the players already on the roster without being directly asked about it. Parise even said he would LOVE to play with Mikko Koivu because he thinks they play a similar game and that Mikko is one of the most underrated players in the league. Bottom line is Holland low balled them and didn't have enough appeal to even be in the final few teams for Parise. Again, they couldn't even get in to speak with Schultz while the Wild could. I won't even respond to the North Stars bit because you're obviously just trying to troll and I feel bad for you.

You can rest on your laurels all you want and say how much greater you are than a franchise that's 12 years old and pat yourself on the back for that.. But the fact remains that your two best players are past their primes, your best player and Captain just retired, your GM hasn't done anything to improve the franchise and your relying on Niklas Kronwall to apparently be your best defenseman.. Good luck with all that.

Again, you use last season prospectus....find one for this year or better just go to the thread that has the link....or how about one from Hockeys Future.... http://www.hockeysfu...ngs-2011-2012/3 15 is higher than 17 bud. http://www.puckprosp...?articleid=1347 here's another 3 is higher than 4 BUD. Just keep holding on to outdated material and analysis... NEXT!

Uh...generic statements from those two at the presser, they would say the same thing anywhere they would've signed...NEXT!

So, the Finnish league is superior to the AHL...ok, sign up all NHL teams to change their minor league affiliates to the Finnish league...what are these NHL personnel thinking, associating with the worst league in the world....NEXT!

They chose Minny for family...they'd say the same generic rah rah in any other city....NEXT!

Wild on top of the NW division for the first half of the season, then they blew a wad....got hurt...whatever....just where was Detroit before they got a rash of injuries? Top of the NHL...NHL! Not division...NEXT!

Are we wondering what Holland is doing since he lost out on Suter? Hell yeah, and we hope he does some stuff! This I will agree with you on, he hasn't done much since the Suter-stakes, but he has been the best, so I will reserve judgement until we miss the playoffs...NEXT!

I wont say how much greater we are historically, lets just look at the last 12 season so we can be on even playing ground....oh, still greater, nevermind...NEXT!

Kronwall is just as good as Suter offensively and better in the hitting department...Kronwall can be a #1...Suter is better defensively, but its not like Kronwall stinks at it...NEXT!

Holland did speak to Schultz...again Detroit is not in Canada...Parise not worth that much money, Holland offered him what he is worth...I think the Wild may have gotten just as far with Schultz, thanks but we want to play in Canada...NEXT!

Parise also said he'd love to play with Pavel Datsyuk, as a matter of fact so would most of the league per the players poll last season...Koivu is good too, either way Parise would've got to play with a great centerman...NEXT!

I am sorry, I guess there are no MEN in the AHL...they are all little boys with no experience and Tatar is just a God amongst them... If you want to degrade Detroit's prospects based on just your opinion, then here is mine, Granfool has no business even putting skates on. There even I can just spout off at the mouth without researching facts...NEXT!

Anyhow, like I said, congrats on being a fan of the Wild and lucking out that those two have family there...you won the UFA sweeps, yippee! Now lets see them become a dynasty powerhouse and make the playoffs for the next 13 years...You can spout all you want, you just cannot get over the fact that if it weren't for FAMILY, Not Grandrool, Not Koivu, Not Heatley, Not Centcougar, FAMILY, if it weren't for FAMILY, Parise would be a Devil and Suter would be a Red Wing...from there mouths, quote unquote, proven to you over and over again....do us all a favor...accept it, enjoy it and know that if it weren't for FAMILY they'd be playing for LESS money elsewhere...Minnesota had to outbid NJ and Detroit as well... We accept the fact that they are Wild, you just accept the fact why they chose the Wild...GOODBYE!

Edited by Matt, 10 July 2012 - 09:35 PM.
No need for the final line in this post

Don't Be Jealous, But I Live Here...

www.thinkdunes.com

Aww You Mad Bro? Are You Butt Hurt?

#157 mmamolo

mmamolo

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,809 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 06:24 PM

Personally, I think Filppula should get the 3rd A if one is still to be given out. Especially is he is next on the list after Z.

Yeah I could see that too. I think Cleary has been in line too but Fil is the long term, logical choice. Maybe they do a rotation or something

#158 Xraymind7781

Xraymind7781

Jr. Prospect

• 19 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 06:32 PM

I can say without reservation that there's no chance the Wings would have handed Suter or Parise the C the moment they got here. Not even a slim chance. The biggest compliment they'll pay a recently signed or traded for player is an alternate A.

Without reservation you say that there's no way they would have handed the "C" to someone they were offering $90 million dollars to? Somone whom they were pursuing to be the future building blocks of the organization? I can't say not knowing for certain, but I tend to think the Captaincy was probably a part of any offer the wings were making with Nick stepping down. Like i've said before, Zetterberg and Datsyuk are amazing but they are both on the decline.

#159 Hatethedrake!

Hatethedrake!

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,496 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 06:35 PM

Without reservation you say that there's no way they would have handed the "C" to someone they were offering $90 million dollars to? Somone whom they were pursuing to be the future building blocks of the organization? I can't say not knowing for certain, but I tend to think the Captaincy was probably a part of any offer the wings were making with Nick stepping down. Like i've said before, Zetterberg and Datsyuk are amazing but they are both on the decline.

This is not how the Wings go about their business. The letters on the jerseys are earned. It would have been a huge slap in the face if Parise had signed and had the captaincy handed to him over Dats or Z. No way would this have happened. Anyway, it's a moot point anyway as Parise did not sign here.
Jordan Tootoo will wreck shop.

We need someone like Parise that can penetrate the box.-blueadams

#160 mmamolo

mmamolo

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,809 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 06:35 PM

I dont think you could be any more wrong - but that's just my opinion. I dont think the Wings work that way. Plus, despite your perceived decline in Zetterberg's on ice play does not hold any weight in considering his leadership skills. As I said, just my opinion, but I would be shocked if Z isn't the new captain and I would have been even more shocked had the Wings given the C, or even an A, to a newly signed player.