• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest blueadams

How bad are we if our roster is now finalized?

Rate this topic

Who really cares about the Minnesota Wild anyway? The one positive I am taking from not getting Parise and Suter is that we have all kinds of Cap space for next summer to throw at Getzlaf, Perry and Weber when they become UFAs. I know these guys may not make it to UFA. I also know none of them may choose to sign with the Wings. But it's something positive to think about right now isn't it?

I'm sorry but that's the kind of mentality that got us into this pickle we're in.

Who really cares about the Minnesota Wild anyway? The one positive I am taking from not getting Parise and Suter is that we have all kinds of Cap space for next summer to throw at Getzlaf, Perry and Weber when they become UFAs. I know these guys may not make it to UFA. I also know none of them may choose to sign with the Wings. But it's something positive to think about right now isn't it?

I'm all for positive thinking, but what this off season has taught us is that the Wings will not overpay for talent. They'll offer what they feel the player is worth and if they don't get them, they don't get them and they move on. If Getzlaf, Perry and Weber do become UFAs, the bidding on those players will be astronomical, so unless those players decide they want to play for Detroit, I'm not too optimistic about our chances of landing them.

I'm all for positive thinking, but what this off season has taught us is that the Wings will not overpay for talent. They'll offer what they feel the player is worth and if they don't get them, they don't get them and they move on. If Getzlaf, Perry and Weber do become UFAs, the bidding on those players will be astronomical, so unless those players decide they want to play for Detroit, I'm not too optimistic about our chances of landing them.

So in other words, as long as Kenny is running the show, we'll never get another top notch UFA because there will ALWAYS be bidding wars for them. He'll keep filling the roster with Ian White's and Dan Cleary's and the LGWers will all beat off to how much money we saved.

esteef

I'm sorry but that's the kind of mentality that got us into this pickle we're in.

I don't think LGW-ers have that much power...

So in other words, as long as Kenny is running the show, we'll never get another top notch UFA because there will ALWAYS be bidding wars for them. He'll keep filling the roster with Ian White's and Dan Cleary's and the LGWers will all beat off to how much money we saved.

esteef

Ian white turned out to be a major steal for us

esteef

No, he'll spend when it makes sense, not chase and over pay for above average players, or mid range guys, just because we have money or cap space, thus hand cuffing our team...

There were only two prizes this year, THAT'S IT

They chose to play in Minnesota together, and for a ridiculous amount at that, and it didn't mater what anyone else offered them, because their minds were already made up...

No one else in this FA class is worth the money, and more importantly, the term they've been getting... Other teams can continue to f' themselves with horrible contracts (Ville Leino says hello), I'll just sit back and be grateful the horrendous arm-chair GM's on LGW don't run this team, and we have someone like Holland to know the difference...

How bad are we if this is our finalized roster for the season right now? Still a much better team then the Minnesota Wild (I realize I shouldn't bait the trolls, but christ almighty they've been raising hell and somehow still don't look at their defensive depth chart and realize even WITH Suter their defense pails in comparison to ours sans Lidstrom and Stuart :D)

Edited by Detroit # 1 Fan

Guest Johnz96

I don't think LGW-ers have that much power...

Ian white turned out to be a major steal for us

Individually no. Collectively we can be a force to be reckoned with

Oh, and it deeply pains me to admit this about my childhood idol and my favorite player of all time... but...

Yzerman hasn't done that great in Tampa, yet people are willing to anoint him the next coming of Lord Stanley himself, remove a GM who is at least partially responsible for 4 cups in the last 15 years, and give him the reigns, just because he makes more moves (on a team that failed to make the playoffs last year mind you)... Grass is greener mentality if there's ever been one...

No, he'll spend when it makes sense, not chase and over pay for above average players, or mid range guys, just because we have money or cap space, thus hand cuffing our team...

There were only two prizes this year, THAT'S IT

They chose to play in Minnesota together, and for a ridiculous amount at that, and it didn't mater what anyone else offered them, because their minds were already made up...

No one else in this FA class is worth the money, and more importantly, the term they've been getting... Other teams can continue to f' themselves with horrible contracts (Ville Leino says hello), I'll just sit back and be grateful the horrendous arm-chair GM's on LGW don't run this team, and we have someone like Holland to know the difference...

So to summarize, Kenny's too cheap to get the players he really needs. No one's saying blow the whole f***in' wad every year, that's just your tired response to any Holland criticism whatsoever. I'm tired of seeing retreads and reclamation projects, and then a bunch of excuses on why he didn't do better in acquiring guys. The "everybody's too expensive" excuse is starting to wear thin, especially when he's holding 16 miliion dollars.

esteef

So to summarize, Kenny's too cheap to get the players he really needs. No one's saying blow the whole f***in' wad every year, that's just your tired response to any Holland criticism whatsoever. I'm tired of seeing retreads and reclamation projects, and then a bunch of excuses on why he didn't do better in acquiring guys. The "everybody's too expensive" excuse is starting to wear thin, especially when he's holding 16 miliion dollars.

esteef

Name one guy that's signed elsewhere, that would be an impact player, who was worth what they got? Just ONE? And furthermore, worth their TERM... You just ***** to *****... You're mentality is like saying you have 300k for a house, but all that's on the market is a bunch of shacks, and rather than NOT take out the mortgage, and wait for something to come on the market worth the money, you'd rather buy the 800 sq ft ranch at WAY over market value, because it's available now, in a horrible market... ridiculous...

Edited by stevkrause

Name one guy that's signed elsewhere, that would be an impact player, who was worth what they got? Just ONE? And furthermore, worth their TERM... You just ***** to *****... You're mentality is like saying you have 300k for a house, but all that's on the market is a bunch of shacks, and rather than NOT take out the mortgage, and wait for something to come on the market worth the money, you'd rather buy the 800 sq ft ranch at WAY over market value, because it's available now, in a horrible market... ridiculous...

So does this mean EVERYONE has been overpriced for years now and that's why Kenny hasn't brought in anyone worth mentioning? EVERYONE? Come now... (and your housing analogy sux).

esteef

So does this mean EVERYONE has been overpriced for years now and that's why Kenny hasn't brought in anyone worth mentioning? EVERYONE? Come now... (and your housing analogy sux).

esteef

The other time he had money at Free Agency he brought in a 40 goal scorer.

esteef

Martian Hossa says hi... Now, re-signing him instead of Franzen is probably the only case one can make that I'll agree Holland got wrong, but that's still a big name signing...

The only reason you think the analogy sucks is because it's dead on, and you can't refute it...

Its fine to be pissed this off season hasn't gone the way we all wanted, but projecting and looking for someone to blame over details out of their control is ridiculous... Also, give me one example of a player in last years FA market worth their contract then? The last two years have been crap markets, and before that, we were right up against the cap AND coming off of back to back SCF... So, you were saying?

esteef

You didn't answer the question. And Ian White is not another tire patch... ridiculous.

Yay! Give him a cookie! How about now?

esteef

What about now? I'm still waiting for a name... ONE guy that we realistically could have had, that would have made a major impact, that wasn't a horrible contract... ONE.

I'm going to sleep now, so I look forward to this tomorrow...

Martian Hossa says hi... Now, re-signing him instead of Franzen is probably the only case one can make that I'll agree Holland got wrong, but that's still a big name signing...

The only reason you think the analogy sucks is because it's dead on, and you can't refute it...

Its fine to be pissed this off season hasn't gone the way we all wanted, but projecting and looking for someone to blame over details out of their control is ridiculous... Also, give me one example of a player in last years FA market worth their contract then? The last two years have been crap markets, and before that, we were right up against the cap AND coming off of back to back SCF... So, you were saying?

Why name names? So you can thumb your nose at every single one of them and come up with ficticious reasons as to why a trade or UFA signing that never happened anyway wouldn't have worked? I don't need nor want your agreement that much. And the analogy sucks because I it's unnecessary, I understand what you mean, I just disagree.

esteef

Why name names? So you can thumb your nose at every single one of them and come up with ficticious reasons as to why a trade or UFA signing that never happened anyway wouldn't have worked? I don't need nor want your agreement that much. And the analogy sucks because I it's unnecessary, I understand what you mean, I just disagree.

esteef

You mad bro?

Guest Johnz96

We didn't have enough cap space to sign Hossa.

Regardless of what most people think of him right now, based on his stats (and that is the basis for a player's contactual value) Franzen is a bargain

Edited by Johnz96

Guest Johnz96

esteef

Cheapness has nothing to do with it it's not his money and Illitch wants him to spend it. They're goal is winning the Cup and overpaying for players just because we have the cap space would make it harder to achieve that goal.

Guest Johnz96

We're sitting pretty. In order to address needs most teams will have to create other ones to do so.

When spending big bucks it's gotta be the right guy at the right price.

I think we overpayed a little for Tootoo and Gustavsson and I don't understand the Samuelsson signing but the biggest coup is that we didn't sign Parise and/or Suter to those ridiculous contracts, not throwing a crazy offer at Semin and not overpaying for the other defensemen that were available, I think by season's end Smith will be better than most if not all them for a lot less, an opportunity he never would have had had we signed one of them