• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Dominator2005

Rumor/Report: Semin to sign 1yr deal with Pens

Rate this topic

Holland is f*cking doped up if he didn't go for semin with a one year deal. what else was he going to use the cap space for? it would be there next offseason with a one year deal. lets hope this is all bulls***.

No kidding. If this is legitimate, then Holland is showing no balls. GMs around the league are leaving him behind when it comes to being aggressive. AND A ONE YEAR DEAL IS AS SAFE AS IT GETS.

We dealt with him holding onto the cash last offseason, we dealt with him holding onto the cash at the deadline, but he can't go that anymore. This team needs a goal scorer. I don't care what kind of baggage he has with him. I don't think we're in a position to turn our noses up to that.

Shane Doan is a really good player; gritty with scoring ability. But adding another 35 year old is not what is going to put this team back into contention.......

It's still in rumor-mode, so for the time being, I'm going to move this to the Rumor Mill. I'll move it back and/or merge it when/if the time comes.

When every team has cap space and the desire to sign each of the these players it harder than you think to get a deal done. It's pretty much where the player wants to go ultimately... Where he wants to live, who he wants to play with and who he wants as a coach. Every team threw in similar offers nothing you can do but hope he wants to play for you. At least it will take pens out of Shane doan running but that's gonna be just as much of a challenge. Cap shouldn't have gone up let teams regret their signings not get a free pass every year

If this happens... then I have lost all faith in Holland. This isn't to say that I am being sensational... just how often can you get a need filler guy on special. Eff the risk. He has speed, a shot, and can play two ways. He is available on special be due to overblown reports of his ethics. He is just following Ovie, which btw he plays better defense than and his offense is upper class.

Holland cannot sell to me Sammy, Tootoo, and even Doan are enough to fix the team. I wanted Suter, Doan, Semin... Would settle for Doan, Semin, Roszival and even overlook the two bad deals.

Those suggesting that adding Doan and Semin won't fix our defense. You are overblowing the state of our defense. We have Four guys that should be top four guys, one that is expected to eventually be a top four guy and a first round pick to round it out. We could use more proven talent on the top... but that is a luxury that we had for a long time. Get over it and see what we have before we go chasing luxuries. A seventh or sixth guy is fine enough. The team defense was good last year and relied heavily on E, not Lidstrom. Based this on the actual time on ice. True Stuart was also a big part of that... but we just have to see if people step up and address what we need later. We won't replace Lidstrom, let alone in one year. Even if we got Suter. I won't suggest we ***** about something we can't fix properly. WE STILL NEED OFFENSE.

That was our issue, lack of a sniper was something we wanted at the deadline. Semin was that. I argued we needed guys to chase the puck and fight for it. Semin fits that, as well does Doan. We needed dirty parts of the ice guys, guys that go to the hard real estate. Doan is that. The Wings need both to fix our offense from last year. Get both and we have a championship cailber offense with spare parts. That can also help if we need to trade later by giving us extra to let go. Even better... Semin and Doan can be had for the cap room of Nash plus Tootoo. It would be cap friendly over the short term.

In the end, this offseason has made our cap situation worse over the medium term and did not fix our forward situation but made it worse. The Defense got worse, so we need to compensate anyways necessary. I know you all are demanding D... but there is no way to do it as of right now.

Letting Semin slip through your fingers when there is so little in terms of risk... and letting him go to a rival... is FOOLISH. Worse than that, it is negligent. I want Holland to retire, but I would force it if he misses on Semin and Doan. I will be upset if he misses on either, but both requires action. I would rather let Nill sit and wait for the youngsters to come up and see what he can do.

Holland is failing. He's sitting on his hands while other teams are getting better.

Travelling to Wisconsin to meet with Suter? Being in contact several times with Doan's agent? Hiring a proven NHL Head Coach to fill the vacant Assistant Coach spot?

There's a difference between striking out on free agent offers, and sitting on his hands.

I just don't get why Ken and co. are ready to offer 3-year contract to a one guy with on and off ice issues(tootoo) and yet show a middle finger to another one(semin)

And for the record,I approve tootoo signing

I do not. I like Semin. I hate Tootoo. I REALLY EFFING HATE TOOTOO. I wouldn't want him for free.

Guest blueadams

If he signs a one year deal, I'm jumping on the fire Holland bandwagon. I mean wtf man. What's the risk!? One year!? Why in the hell would you just let that cap space rot away!?

When every team has cap space and the desire to sign each of the these players it harder than you think to get a deal done. It's pretty much where the player wants to go ultimately... Where he wants to live, who he wants to play with and who he wants as a coach. Every team threw in similar offers nothing you can do but hope he wants to play for you. At least it will take pens out of Shane doan running but that's gonna be just as much of a challenge. Cap shouldn't have gone up let teams regret their signings not get a free pass every year

Last time I checked the Pens had 10 million...

$10,541,667 to be exact... via capgeek

Doan and Semin could be gotten for that ball park. I heard Pitt was offering around 4.5 to Semin. Just saying... don't count on it taking them out of the running. Also I get the feeling that Doan would rather go to Pitt or LA... Getting Semin would help us get Doan in my mind by showing him we are serious about winning NOW.

I think this is the worst offseason of all Modern Wings history because we have painted ourselves into a corner with betting the wrong way, and taking huge risks on low reward players while fearing to take huge risks on high reward players. It feels like Holland is ready to bet everything on a blind hand of poker. This is totally unlike anything I have ever experienced with this management group. It isn't like them to take risks unless the payout is a cup. It seems all the plans after Suter/Parise are big risk low reward... Save Doan/Semin which are high risk and high reward. I don't think Doan/Semin get us a cup... but they keep us close to where we were... and allow us the chance to address our problems in the next 18 months to get cup ready.

Travelling to Wisconsin to meet with Suter? Being in contact several times with Doan's agent? Hiring a proven NHL Head Coach to fill the vacant Assistant Coach spot?

There's a difference between striking out on free agent offers, and sitting on his hands.

In the end though... the team suffers the same fate. You are right, but the team does suffer with these results. That falls on him.

Guest Heaten

Lol @ the people who are livid at Holland because Pens are 'rumored' to sign Semin.

I'm not a fan of Semin, especially to a long contract. Pens can have him.

In the end though... the team suffers the same fate. You are right, but the team does suffer with these results. That falls on him.

You're right, that the team may suffer with the results that Holland has had this summer. But you can't really accuse him of sitting on his hands while every other team improves.

True, Holland took more of a wait-and-see approach with Semin, but that doesn't really surprise me, seeing that he was more interested in pursuing Doan and possibly other options before Semin. They already have one player on the roster with questionable game-to-game work ethic in Franzen, so it doesn't surprise me that they weren't jumping all over the chance to sign another player with the questionable ethics (rightly or wrongly).

Anybody in this thread who said "Holland is sitting on his hands" because he didn't get _______ player is either ignorant or not a Wings fan that pays any attention. Do we fire every GM except for the one in Minnesota for not signing Suter and Parise, who obviously had made up their mind to play there irrespective of (more) money or franchise track record?

Everybody take a deep breath, let this play out and evaluate by training camp. Seriously, free agency opened July 1st, but Doan, Semin, and other FA's aren't even signed yet, and a trade could happen at any time.

Jeez, I know you're frustrated/worried, but the number of "smart" things Holland has done in the past 5 years WAY outweighs the number of failed/misguided moves during that time:

• Re-signing stars to manageable long-term deals
  • Circumventing the cap and getting away with it before it became "illegal"
  • Recycling useful veterans while other desparate teams
  • Drafting, developing, and retaining a borderline elite goaltender (Howard) at about 1/3 of the cap hit of other "elite" goalies
  • The Hossa 1-year deal (a low risk, high reward opportunity that got us all the way to Gm 7 of the Cup Finals)
  • Despite terrible draft position for the past 20 years, finding guys like Brendan Smith (#27 pick), Tatar (#60), and Nyquist (#121) that look like potentially very good NHL players, especially for where they were drafted.
  • Developing young role players (Helm, Abdelkader, Miller, etc.) that keep the Wings as one of the deeper teams in the league

If we don't get Doan, I'm not going to burn down Joe Louis Arena. If we don't sign Semin or make a high impact trade, I will be more disappointed, but jeez, try not to be a spoiled brat - there are worse things than being a Red Wings fan in 2012-13.

Edited by StormJH1

Anybody in this thread who said "Holland is sitting on his hands" because he didn't get _______ player is either ignorant or not a Wings fan that pays any attention. Do we fire every GM except for the one in Minnesota for not signing Suter and Parise, who obviously had made up their mind to play there irrespective of (more) money or franchise track record?

Everybody take a deep breath, let this play out and evaluate by training camp. Seriously, free agency opened July 1st, but Doan, Semin, and other FA's aren't even signed yet, and a trade could happen at any time.

Jeez, I know you're frustrated/worried, but the number of "smart" things Holland has done in the past 5 years WAY outweighs the number of failed/misguided moves during that time:

• Re-signing stars to manageable long-term deals
  • Circumventing the cap and getting away with it before it became "illegal"
  • Recycling useful veterans while other desparate teams
  • Drafting, developing, and retaining a borderline elite goaltender (Howard) at about 1/3 of the cap hit of other "elite" goalies
  • The Hossa 1-year deal (a low risk, high reward opportunity that got us all the way to Gm 7 of the Cup Finals)
  • Despite terrible draft position for the past 20 years, finding guys like Brendan Smith (#27 pick), Tatar (#60), and Nyquist (#121) that look like potentially very good NHL players, especially for where they were drafted.
  • Developing young role players (Helm, Abdelkader, Miller, etc.) that keep the Wings as one of the deeper teams in the league

If we don't get Doan, I'm not going to burn down Joe Louis Arena. If we don't sign Semin or make a high impact trade, I will be more disappointed, but jeez, try not to be a spoiled brat - there are worse things than being a Red Wings fan in 2012-13.

I agree but we can only live in the past for so long..we need someone who can score goals..a 1 yr deal for Semin is well worth the risk..it's time to step out of the comfort zone a little more..he did that with the Tootoo signing but we need a goal scorer. I don't lose patience with Holland very often but if Pitt gets him on a 1 yr deal and we didnt put in a good offer I will be choked.

Guest Crymson

I agree but we can only live in the past for so long..we need someone who can score goals..a 1 yr deal for Semin is well worth the risk. I don't lose patience with Holland very often but if Pitt gets him on a 1 yr deal and we didnt put in a good offer I will be choked.

This rumor was confirmed yesterday to be without basis. Relax.

Guest Heaten

LGWs is having a meltdown over an untrue rumor. Lol

Fire Holland because Detroit doesn't have any untrue rumors we can plug into line combo's on xBox.Damn you, Kenny!