• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
haroldsnepsts

Reminder: Personal attacks, trolling will not be tolerated

Rate this topic

After the forum upgrade it seems people need a refresher on the forum rules. Here's the one I keep having to quote as I'm warning people:

· DON'T personally attack other members. This includes name-calling, flame-baiting, etc.. If you can't discuss your point with maturity then don't discuss it. People that violate this rule will be dealt with swiftly.

Here's another good one:

· DO post constructively. If you can't add anything meaningful to a discussion, don't bother.

I suggest people re-read the forum rules.

http://www.letsgowin...tion=boardrules

I know everyone's a little jumpy waiting to see what Holland will do next, but personal attacks will not be tolerated and will result in suspension.

Furthermore, mocking other members about their reaction to signings is still trolling and off topic and will be punished.

For example, in a thread about Holland and free agency, someone posting "They should fire Holland" is a valid opinion, even though it's not particularly well thought out and is an extreme reaction. But in a thread about some other topic, chiming in saying "Fire Holland" to mock that member is trolling, which will result in deletion of the post and punishment.

Make sense?

Also, if you make a brilliant and insightful post about the Wings or hockey in general, but the last line of your post contains a personal attack, all your hard work will be deleted and you will likely be suspended for your efforts. As I've been saying over and over, discuss the content of the post and not the person making it.

Everybody say it with me now.

I understand what you are saying but from what I have seen on these boards lately most of the personal attacks are in reference to some posts that in themselves could be considered trolling. Obviously some personal attacks are random or unjustified but just as we should all refrain from making personal attacks in our posts there are some posters, in my opinion, who should refrain from pretty evident trolling.

Personally, I would like to see those trolling posts disciplined just as personal attack posts will be.

I understand what you are saying but from what I have seen on these boards lately most of the personal attacks are in reference to some posts that in themselves could be considered trolling. Obviously some personal attacks are random or unjustified but just as we should all refrain from making personal attacks in our posts there are some posters, in my opinion, who should refrain from pretty evident trolling.

Personally, I would like to see those trolling posts disciplined just as personal attack posts will be.

Agreed completely

Guest Johnz96

Fans of other teams who come here to bash the Wings should be cut off. I am sure almost all of the personal attacks are directed at the same people

All I can say in response to this is no one knows what actions Matt and/or the mods take outside of the parties directly involved. It would be tacky otherwise.

I cannot stress often enough how important that report function is. If someone is provoked, they should use it rather than resorting to personal attacks.

Fans of other teams who come here to bash the Wings should be cut off. I am sure almost all of the personal attacks are directed at the same people

There is a difference between fans of other teams who come here solely to bash the Wings and fans of other teams who have a differing opinion on the state of the team. Those who come strictly to troll are dealt with swiftly; those who opine something other than the party line are welcome to express their opinion. If you see blatant trolling, please report it. If you simply disagree with them, by all means, discuss it. That's why we're all here!

All I can say in response to this is no one knows what actions Matt and/or the mods take outside of the parties directly involved. It would be tacky otherwise.

I cannot stress often enough how important that report function is. If someone is provoked, they should use it rather than resorting to personal attacks.

That's a good point for sure. However, I felt it was worth pointing out the now proactive stance against personal attacks should be mimicked by a proactive stance against the type of trolling I alluded to. But thanks for pointing out a useful tool that most likely gets severely underutilized.

That's a good point for sure. However, I felt it was worth pointing out the now proactive stance against personal attacks should be mimicked by a proactive stance against the type of trolling I alluded to. But thanks for pointing out a useful tool that most likely gets severely underutilized.

The report function does get underutilized. I'm not sure if it's a "snitches end up in ditches" mentality or what.

When someone trolls or makes a personal attack, basically the thread (and therefore the forum) gets crappier. The more personal attacks and trolling, the crappier this forum gets. Reporting a post isn't tattling as much as it is calling a mods attention to a mess so they can clean it up and keep the quality of the site higher. We're not the police here as much as we are janitors.

As I've said before, the forum is only as good as the content you guys provide. Post good stuff and the forum gets better. Post garbage and it turns to garbage.

The report function does get underutilized. I'm not sure if it's a "snitches end up in ditches" mentality or what.

When someone trolls or makes a personal attack, basically the thread (and therefore the forum) gets crappier. The more personal attacks and trolling, the crappier this forum gets. Reporting a post isn't tattling as much as it is calling a mods attention to a mess so they can clean it up and keep the quality of the site higher. We're not the police here as much as we are janitors.

As I've said before, the forum is only as good as the content you guys provide. Post good stuff and the forum gets better. Post garbage and it turns to garbage.

Wellllllll that can be changed.....dare any of you to disagree with my opinions from here on out

Guest The Axe

It's no problem with me. It's all in good fun

Ok cool. I take it the same way, too.

Oh the irony. Still remember a couple months back when my topic was deleted based on my opinions and when I was personally attacked it was ignored. When I messaged the monderator that deleted it, they couldn't even explain to me why my post was removed. It's funny how this place is busy with morons after free agency, and now the mods can't even keep up.

I'm sure this will get removed and I'll get one of those spiffy warning points too. Don't worry, this isn't the only place that on the internet that suffers from moderator elitism.

Oh the irony. Still remember a couple months back when my topic was deleted based on my opinions and when I was personally attacked it was ignored. When I messaged the monderator that deleted it, they couldn't even explain to me why my post was removed. It's funny how this place is busy with morons after free agency, and now the mods can't even keep up.

I have stated plenty of times in the past that if anyone has a problem with any particular moderators to personally message me through the forums here. You failed at that, so I don't quite see how you were "ignored" when you didn't even attempt to contact me about the problem. Moderators are not obligated (but encouraged) to let members know when content is removed -- in 99% of the cases the post/topic has broken an obvious forum guideline and in such cases the poster should have known better before posting it.

This may come as a surprise to you, but all of the moderators here have lives outside of the site and are volunteers. So there are periods during the year -- shockingly -- where the traffic double or triple "normal" levels and during such periods, yes, the content added to the site is quite a task to keep up on. But I can simply turn that on its ear: Are you saying, Louisville, that you and your fellow members need to be babysat? That the moderating staff has to studiously comb through every page of every thread? I would like to think that the community here is mature enough to sense when something stinks and isn't appropriate and uses the "Report" feature. It instantly notifies all moderators/admins, most via e-mail.

I'm sure this will get removed and I'll get one of those spiffy warning points too. Don't worry, this isn't the only place that on the internet that suffers from moderator elitism.

The last time you had a warning point will be four years ago on the 24th of this month, ironically for what constituted a "personal attack" -- so you can just quit sensationalizing. You're not the first poster to feel that having a post/topic removed is some sort of "elitist mod's" personal affront to your sense of self-importance, and not likely the last. Most just handle it better.

Wellllllll that can be changed.....dare any of you to disagree with my opinions from here on out

I know this was made in jest, but it has to be said: Those that continually abuse the "Report" system for what it is not intended for (being upset with a differing opinion, etc.) will also be up for discipline as well. I doubt, however, that anything would get to that point -- but the notice is there.

I will say that there's been no hesitation to use it when it concerns spammers. One (non-bot) spammer got though over the weekend and within 5 minutes my e-mail had blown up with a dozen reports related to the spammer. (It was dealt with quickly.) :lol:

I can't stress enough how important the above is. The updated Report system that was part of the most recent upgrade allows all moderators/admins to see reported content, who acted on the report, what was sent to the member that reported the content and an additional note from the acting moderator to the other moderators. Follow vladdy's advice here: If it's blatant trolling or an obvious personal attack please report it! Blatant trolls have always been dealt with swiftly and harshly, but I encourage fans of other NHL teams to come here and discuss the Red Wings and hockey in general. Just because some of those other fans have comments that may have lesser opinions of the "home team" doesn't mean they're trolling (again, I'm willing to allow a gray area here for people that skirt the line seeing what they can get away with based on past posting history).

I don't want to make this place an unwelcome one for fans of opposing teams -- they help breathe fresh air into the forum from time to time and offer different perspectives that some fans looking through Red Wing-colored glasses may have yet failed to see.

To close out here: Again, if anyone has problems or questions regarding policies here, moderators, etc., etc. please feel free to PM me through the forums here. It's that easy. I don't bite.

I have stated plenty of times in the past that if anyone has a problem with any particular moderators to personally message me through the forums here. You failed at that, so I don't quite see how you were "ignored" when you didn't even attempt to contact me about the problem. Moderators are not obligated (but encouraged) to let members know when content is removed -- in 99% of the cases the post/topic has broken an obvious forum guideline and in such cases the poster should have known better before posting it.

I guess I never noticed these 'plenty of times' that you said this, and I now see it in the forum guildlines. I don't know how long that's been the there but it's weird I've never seen it before after 6+ years on these forums. Anyway, I didn't feel the need to go over this mod's head because they were responding back and forth in PM. Their stupidity was more humorous than frustrating, so I didn't fail to do anything but laugh it off. If my post gets deleted even though I was on topic and didn't attack anyone, I'll be sure to come and whine/complain to you from now on.

This may come as a surprise to you, but all of the moderators here have lives outside of the site and are volunteers. So there are periods during the year -- shockingly -- where the traffic double or triple "normal" levels and during such periods, yes, the content added to the site is quite a task to keep up on. But I can simply turn that on its ear: Are you saying, Louisville, that you and your fellow members need to be babysat? That the moderating staff has to studiously comb through every page of every thread? I would like to think that the community here is mature enough to sense when something stinks and isn't appropriate and uses the "Report" feature. It instantly notifies all moderators/admins, most via e-mail.

Despite your condescending tone, this was not at all a time that the forum was busier than usual (late Feb/beginning of March), and it was a topic I started. So nothing was reported, the mod just read the topic and clearly wasn't feeling it. Apparently one mod found it ok enough to respond to it, and but the other just removed it. I'm not saying that members need to be babysat, I don't even know where you got that from. I just found the crackdown funny, sorry for being honest. I'll definitely try to hit "print screen" before my posts are removed or something.

The last time you had a warning point will be four years ago on the 24th of this month, ironically for what constituted a "personal attack" -- so you can just quit sensationalizing. You're not the first poster to feel that having a post/topic removed is some sort of "elitist mod's" personal affront to your sense of self-importance, and not likely the last. Most just handle it better.

I've looked a this 'warning point" and the details were blank, if you'd like to PM me what this was in reference to I'd love to know. Otherwise I can just assume this is your BS attempt to personally call me out. Which is also just hilarious considering the topic.

And to your second point, of course I'm not the first poster who feels that way, but I'm sure most just take it without argument. If you want to create an open discussion about this let's at least be honest about that. Otherwise, just post your rules and close the topic.

Look, I love this forum (why else would I be a booster?) but if something is going to be removed/modified/or result in a ban I would hope that it remains consistent . Looks like you guys are heading in the right direction at least.

edit: sp

Edited by Louisville

Guest The Axe

If we keep acting like this, no free agents are going to want to sign here.

Ha!

Semin took less to play in Pittsburgh because of the discussion forum politeness.

There is a difference between fans of other teams who come here solely to bash the Wings and fans of other teams who have a differing opinion on the state of the team. Those who come strictly to troll are dealt with swiftly; those who opine something other than the party line are welcome to express their opinion. If you see blatant trolling, please report it. If you simply disagree with them, by all means, discuss it. That's why we're all here!

The one person we're all tiptoeing around naming here is pretty clearly only around to troll. The only type of posts he makes are derogitory towards the Wings, Holland and posters here at LGW. That's what really gets my goat.

I'm proud of how many great fans from other teams we have on LGW. Just off the top of my head I can think of posters from the Sharks and Preds community who've come here and made very intelligent, constructive posts while dodging the odd attack here or there based on their obvious love of another team. MacAttack used to post regularly from the position of a win-deprived Leafs fan who respects the Wings. For each of our playoff opponents in recent years I'd say we've had good cross-forum posters who I hope will come back for future games day threads.

My point is that those of us who are tired of CentCougar aren't taking that position simply because he's a Wild fan.

Edit: does anyone know how I can get the spellcheck functionality built into my Firefox browser to work with the new forums? This is the first time I've had this problem with the current FF.

Edited by Drake_Marcus

I guess I never noticed these 'plenty of times' that you said this, and I now see it in the forum guildlines. I don't know how long that's been the there but it's weird I've never seen it before after 6+ years on these forums.

It's been there from the beginning. You've got no one to blame for your lack of reading skills but yourself.

Anyway, I didn't feel the need to go over this mod's head because they were responding back and forth in PM. Their stupidity was more humorous than frustrating, so I didn't fail to do anything but laugh it off. If my post gets deleted even though I was on topic and didn't attack anyone, I'll be sure to come and whine/complain to you from now on.

No, but you felt the need to whine about it publicly on the forum like an offended child rather than taking a route available to you. Oh, that's right -- you failed to read about that part. Again, this feeds into your persecution complex you've laid bare here.

Despite your condescending tone, this was not at all a time that the forum was busier than usual (late Feb/beginning of March), and it was a topic I started. So nothing was reported, the mod just read the topic and clearly wasn't feeling it. Apparently one mod found it ok enough to respond to it, and but the other just removed it.

So right around the NHL Trade Deadline. Right. No traffic increase there. As far as the "condescending tone" is concerned, I will reply in kind when the moderating staff is called "elitist" or "stupid", so get used to it.

I just found the crackdown funny, sorry for being honest. I'll definitely try to hit "print screen" before my posts are removed or something.

Since this one occurrence has offended you so, may I ask what the topic pertained to (since I don't recall seeing it)? I'm virtually 100% confident the moderator that removed the topic did so correctly, but the event has left an ugly scar in your mind since then.

I've looked a this 'warning point" and the details were blank, if you'd like to PM me what this was in reference to I'd love to know. Otherwise I can just assume this is your BS attempt to personally call me out. Which is also just hilarious considering the topic.

Again, you think quite highly of yourself, which is amusing -- but sorry, I have no need to make up "BS attempts" to call you out. What's the point in that? Unfortunately the forum software from four years ago handled warnings a bit differently and there's no specifics other than a record of whom assigned the warning, the date, and the reason. That fancy print-screen effect below:

post-2-0-17851900-1341980752_thumb.jpgpost-2-0-79950300-1341980757_thumb.jpg

And to your second point, of course I'm not the first poster who feels that way, but I'm sure most just take it without argument. If you want to create an open discussion about this let's at least be honest about that. Otherwise, just post your rules and close the topic.

What exactly have I not been honest about? Is this not an open discussion? Your attempts at trying to skew the discussion are laughable, at best. Argue/debate/discuss all you want, I'm game and I always have been. I don't believe I've ever been known to shun open discussion of site policies as long as it's done so with respect from the start. That isn't how it started here.

Look, I love this forum (why else would I be a booster?) but if something is going to be removed/modified/or result in a ban I would hope that it remains consistent . Looks like you guys are heading in the right direction at least.

If there's one thing that all moderators need to accept it's that you can't keep everyone happy. Someone will always be put off about one thing or another, will take something personal when it's not, etc.. You ARE a Booster -- so you know that there's been a two-year long thread on the first page of the private Booster forum specifically discussing the moderator policies of the forum. What have you contributed to it? Nothing. Zero. Not one post. (But let me guess, you didn't see that either, and I magically made that appear, too?)

No disrespect for regular members here, but I do give the opinions of Boosters more weight when it comes to the discussion of moderator policies on the forums here: after all, they have made a contribution to the site and I consider it an "investment" in the site's growth and future. Does that mean they decide policy? Absolutely not, but I do listen to what they have to say.

The moderators and I are not infallible. Things get missed, some things are edited/moved/deleted when they shouldn't be. It happens, and we try our best to fix it on the random times it does happen. And for those that feel that something was handled incorrectly than can always talk to me -- the buck stops here. I can't improve things if I don't know about the problems to begin with.

Can we know once in for all if CentCougar is a sock-puppet account for Richdg? Back when they were posting together, agreeing and 'like'ing eachothers posts it seemed like they'd have the same IP if you catch my drift. ;)

Crymson told me out back that 'loose lips sink ships'. He's a pretty scary looking guy so I just nodded my head and slowly backed away.

Can we know once in for all if CentCougar is a sock-puppet account for Richdg? Back when they were posting together, agreeing and 'like'ing eachothers posts it seemed like they'd have the same IP if you catch my drift. ;)

Crymson told me out back that 'loose lips sink ships'. He's a pretty scary looking guy so I just nodded my head and slowly backed away.

I'll say that crossed my mind, but I honestly think rich was just "misinformed" enough about the wings that he actually sided with a troll LOL

Edited by number9