• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
haroldsnepsts

Reminder: Personal attacks, trolling will not be tolerated

Rate this topic

I believe the biggest problem on this forum is merging a disagreement with trolling. Just because someone posts a point that disagrees with yours doesn't mean the guy is trolling. It means he disagrees with your assessment. The sooner people realize that the better.

I disagree with your assessment.

Fun fact, if typing on a smart phone, and you don't catch the typo/auto correct, you may publish a post calling someone a trolly... Which drastically changes the intention of the post...

Is it still insulting to be called a street car?

I can proudly say that in my almost 5 years here (anniversary coming up :yahoo: ), I'm quite confident no one has ever dared put me on ignore.

:lol: Of course not, the personal messages you'd send once you figured out would be enough to have them take you off the ignore list in an instant.

Guest Johnz96

I believe the biggest problem on this forum is merging a disagreement with trolling. Just because someone posts a point that disagrees with yours doesn't mean the guy is trolling. It means he disagrees with your assessment. The sooner people realize that the better.

snapback.pngcentcougar07, on 09 July 2012 - 07:45 PM, said:

Lol.. Might win the Presidents trophy and the cup next year eh? Yes, I can see it now. Lose Lidstrom and Stuart and add nobody on the back end. Damien Brunner is the biggest signing of the year... So I have only one thing to say to that. In the words of Emilio Estevez when he played Billy the Kid in Young Guns.. "I wouldn't give a bucket of piss for your future."

P.S. Holland better get on his horse and start making some improvements on this roster or you guys are going to be Royally Fuc*ked

I can't see this as being classified as anything other than trolling and most of his posts are along the same sentiment repeated over and over

snapback.pngcentcougar07, on 09 July 2012 - 07:45 PM, said:

Lol.. Might win the Presidents trophy and the cup next year eh? Yes, I can see it now. Lose Lidstrom and Stuart and add nobody on the back end. Damien Brunner is the biggest signing of the year... So I have only one thing to say to that. In the words of Emilio Estevez when he played Billy the Kid in Young Guns.. "I wouldn't give a bucket of piss for your future."

P.S. Holland better get on his horse and start making some improvements on this roster or you guys are going to be Royally Fuc*ked

I can't see this as being classified as anything other than trolling and most of his posts are along the same sentiment repeated over and over

So, you disagree with this assessment? :D

I think most SANE Wings fans would. At the same time, he is entitled to his opinion. Just like I have stood up for the refereeing that many people here think is ungodly bad. Does my opinion about the refereeing fall into the "trolling" category just because it differs from the majority? No.

To be totally honest, I believe they should be shutting down people who are levying personal attacks against other members. There is a way to have a great debate on a topic. Levying personal attacks isn't the way to go.

I think most SANE Wings fans would. At the same time, he is entitled to his opinion. Just like I have stood up for the refereeing that many people here think is ungodly bad. Does my opinion about the refereeing fall into the "trolling" category just because it differs from the majority? No.

To be totally honest, I believe they should be shutting down people who are levying personal attacks against other members. There is a way to have a great debate on a topic. Levying personal attacks isn't the way to go.

Absolutely agree.

Though I don't agree with the post you quoted, he's at least talking hockey. If people would stick to that we'd be fine. It all goes to hell when people start attacking the person for their unpopular opinion. Plus some of the smarter trolls toe the line and antagonize people without it necessarily being an outright personal attack.

I don't want to speak out of turn (correct me if I'm wrong fellow mods) but Matt and the mods prefer to keep things on the looser side around here so people can speak their minds rather than clamp down on every little thing. I think in general it makes is a more fun place to talk hockey, but it also does mean there's some irritating stuff that you have to live with on occasion.

I agree 100% about the personal attacks

Disagreement is fine, but when nearly all of your posts on a Red Wings forum are taking shots at the Wings you're straddling the line from being a dissenter to a contrarian troll.

A sophisticated breed, Contrarian Trolls frequent boards whose predominant opinions are contrary to their own. A forum dominated by those who support firearms and knife rights, for example, will invariably be visited by Contrarian Trolls espousing their beliefs in the benefits of gun control. It is important to distinguish between dissenters and actual Contrarian Trolls, however; the Contrarian is not categorized as a troll because of his or her dissenting opinions, but due to the manner in which he or she behaves:

Contrarian Warning Sign Number One: The most important indicator of a poster's Contrarian Troll status is his constant use of subtle and not-so-subtle insults, a technique intended to make people angry. Contrarians will resist the urge to be insulting at first, but as their post count increases, they become more and more abusive of those with whom they disagree. Most often they initiate the insults in the course of what has been a civil, if heated, debate to that point.

Contrarian Warning Sign Number Two: Constant references to the forum membership as monolithic. "You guys are all just [descriptor]." "You're a lynch mob." "You all just want to ridicule anyone who disagrees with you."

Contrarian Warning Sign Number Three: Intellectual dishonesty. This is only a mild indicator that is not limited to trolls, but Contrarians display it to a high degree. They will lie about things they've said, pull posts out of context in a manner that changes their meanings significantly, and generally ignore any points for which they have no ready answers.

Contrarian Warning Sign Number Four: Accusing the accusers. When confronted with their trolling, trolls immediately respond that it is the accusers who are trolls (see Natural Predators below). Often the Contrarian will single out his most vocal opponent and claim that while he can respect his other opponents, this one in particular is beneath his notice.

Contrarian Warning Sign Number Five: Attempts to condescend. Pursued by Troll Bashers (see Natural Predators below), the Contrarian will seek refuge in condescending remarks that repeatedly scorn his or her critics as beneath notice all the while continuing to respond to them.

Contrarian Warning Sign Number Six: One distinctive mark of Contrarian Trolls is that every thread in which they dissent quickly devolves into a debate about who is trolling whom. In the course of such a debate the Contrarian will display many of the other Warning Signs mentioned above.

Guest Johnz96

You don't think the refereeing in the NHL is ungodly bad???

*#$%^&^%^%$ @#$# @$ %$$%^ #@#$ $#%* #*%*@$

I agree 100% about the personal attacks

Disagreement is fine, but when nearly all of your posts on a Red Wings forum are taking shots at the Wings you're straddling the line from being a dissenter to a contrarian troll.

Wow. Until recently confronting one, I was completely unaware of the existence of the centrarian sub species of troll

Edited by Jedi

Guest Johnz96

It's hard not to express myself with what be considered personal attacks with some of the idiotic crap some people post here

• Before responding to a post or comment please read and understand its gist thoroughly, asking for clarification if necessary.

• Avoid personal attacks against individuals but practice criticism of ideas. The focus should be on increasing our combined knowledge, not on putting people down.

• Disagree without being disagreeable. Defend your opinions without being defensive.

• Avoid posting sexually suggestive material or using language considered impolite in public settings.
    Avoid making racially prejudiced, bigoted or hateful remarks of any sort.

• Avoid making assumptions about other people.

• Be informed about common logical fallacies before challenging the arguments put forth by others.

• I just changed browsers from Mozilla to Google Chrome and everything is going bonkers here including format and font. Sorry if this is difficult to decode! Meanhile, the Above was in the same link Matt copied and I thought it was good stuff too. I'm outta here!

Again, you have a remedy if you think you're being personally attacked. Rather than being nailed yourself for retaliating, REPORT it.

Personally, I have problems with posters who are passive aggressive. They gouge and dig and get sarcastic and then when confronted by those in charge, they back off saying something like, "Who? Me?"

Lastly - it's usually a telltale sign of insecurity and a sense of inferiority if you personally attack someone in response. That's true on these boards. It's true in politics, and in everyday life. It makes YOU look bad. Not the other guy.