• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
MrBest7

Sal Galatioto Predicts NHL Cap & Floor Dropping

Rate this topic

Guest RedWingsDad

Redistribution of wealth (revenue sharing) does not solve the problem of teams in weak markets. It put's a bandade on the problem at the expense of the successful owners. In other words, it punishes success and rewards failure... which never helps matters. The solution is to move teams out of weak markets, period. The NHLPA needs to get behind moving failing teams.

Redistribution of wealth (revenue sharing) does not solve the problem of teams in weak markets. It put's a bandade on the problem at the expense of the successful owners. In other words, it punishes success and rewards failure... which never helps matters. The solution is to move teams out of weak markets, period. The NHLPA needs to get behind moving failing teams.

The assumption/hope that stronger markets do exist might not be true. You need people with money who want to watch hockey and are willing to pay for it.

What a mess. The entire system needs to be changed. They should study the other 3 sports and see how they run things, and go with a luxury tax, because obviously this system isn't working.

They miss an entire year, only to have worse problems 7 years later? Bettman and the Owners don't have a clue on how to conduct their business. Every 5-7 years we're going to have to put up with this if they continue to be so stubborn and clueless in their ways. Bettman and the Owners need to realize that this is entertainment. I for one have been turning my attention and sports $$$ to Baseball and Football. All the off the field crap that goes on in those two sports get taken care of quickly, unlike the NHL where it overshadows what's going on on the ice.

All this CBA crap and head shots should have been dealt with 3 years ago.

Yikes, those are all issues the NHLPA will fight to the death. I know the general consensus is that the players got screwed last time so I don't see how they will tolerate any of this.

Right, it's time to take down Bettman and the Owners.

Guest RedWingsDad

The assumption/hope that stronger markets do exist might not be true. You need people with money who want to watch hockey and are willing to pay for it.

In the event that there are no favourable markets to move a team to, the franchise should be eliminated entirely. In summation, financially insolvent teams should be eliminated or moved to a market where they can be solvent.

Edited by RedWingsDad

In the event that there are no favourable markets to move a team to, the franchise should be eliminated entirely. In summation, financially insolvent teams should be eliminated or moved to a market where they can be solvent.

Won't make the players very happy at all, for every team that is eliminated, there would be "x" number of players out of a job.

I think revenue sharing needs to exist to some exit. I agree with the notion that if a market simply isn't working, you need to deal with it (move to a better market), but I think sharing needs to exist because the generation of revenues by each individual team are not solely do to their individual efforts. I think elimination of franchises is the absolute last resort and would be avoided at all costs (both sides, players and owners, probably agree with that).

Guest RedWingsDad

Won't make the players very happy at all, for every team that is eliminated, there would be "x" number of players out of a job.

I think revenue sharing needs to exist to some exit. I agree with the notion that if a market simply isn't working, you need to deal with it (move to a better market), but I think sharing needs to exist because the generation of revenues by each individual team are not solely do to their individual efforts. I think elimination of franchises is the absolute last resort and would be avoided at all costs (both sides, players and owners, probably agree with that).

Not trying to come across as purely disagreeable, but my question to you would be... how does revenue sharing help fix the problem of teams in a weak hockey market that cannot sustain themselves? The only way that revenue sharing would ever *potentially* be viable is if a team in a strong hockey market experienced a local disaster that effected revenues and needed support for a few years until it became financially soluble again. A team that's just in a weak market offers no reasonable guarantee that it will be soluble, and revenue sharing therefor becomes a perpetual band-aid at the expense of successful teams.

Not trying to come across as purely disagreeable, but my question to you would be... how does revenue sharing help fix the problem of teams in a weak hockey market that cannot sustain themselves? The only way that revenue sharing would ever *potentially* be viable is if a team in a strong hockey market experienced a local disaster that effected revenues and needed support for a few years until it became financially soluble again. A team that's just in a weak market offers no reasonable guarantee that it will be soluble, and revenue sharing therefor becomes a perpetual band-aid at the expense of successful teams.

I guess we are probably looking at it differently. I don't necessarily see revenue sharing as a "fix" to a temporary issue for which the smaller market team will come out of. I see it more of a permanant thing whereby teams share revenue since overall revenues are driven by the league, not necessarily individual teams. I'm not suggesting you take all the revenues and divide it evenly amongst all the teams in the league (though I'm sure there are people out there that might suggest that), I just think there shoudl be sharing of revenues that are not necessarily team specific. A team can't make money if they aren't playing another team.

To use an extreme example, if the league was made up of 2 teams and they just played each other all the time and the only revenues being generated were from the gate, if one team was in a different geographic region, different economic factors, etc., they might be bringing in significantly more revenue than the other team. In that model, it would make sense for one team to be bringing in more money, but it wouldn't make sense if there was an enormous disparity between the two.

Look, I think the ultimate solution is to get rid of the teams in struggling markets, but I think we need to forget about that, it is not an available option.