• Please log in to reply
49 replies to this topic

#21 Detroit # 1 Fan

Detroit # 1 Fan

Truculence.

• HoF Booster
  • 19,077 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 03:06 PM

Glad to see some optimism around here. I also believe Smith is going to have a monster season, put this guy next to Kronwall and give him significant PP time, and the sky is the limit. He's one of the most overripe prospects in recent memory, and the last time we had a guy like that he got a Calder nomination..

#NOMOREKINDL

#22 arag

arag

1st Line Sniper

• HoF Booster
  • 802 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 05:19 PM

I think Smith will be the integral part of starting the New Era for the Red Wings. He has all the tools to be one of the elite D in NHL. Iam very optimistic and looking forward watching Smith full time next season.

#23 Echolalia

Echolalia

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,136 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 05:31 PM

Based on the dozen-or-so game sampler from last season, I'm quite confident in his offensive capabilities, patience, and vision. What I'm worried about is his backwards skating and his responsibility in his own zone.

#24 arag

arag

1st Line Sniper

• HoF Booster
  • 802 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 05:37 PM

His defensive part of the game is not as polished as we would like it to be, but it will come to him by gaining more NHL experience.

#25 St. Michael (the Red Wing)

St. Michael (the Red Wing)

Heavenly With the Puck

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,822 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 05:38 PM

His defensive part of the game is not as polished as we would like it to be, but it will come to him by gaining more NHL experience.

Kenny is that you?

#26 Hatethedrake!

Hatethedrake!

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,496 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 05:39 PM

Smith to win Hart, Art Ross, Norris, Calder, and the Vezina. Howard will be our #2 dman and Smith can play goal as well as dman at the same time. He is this good. He will eat lightning and crap thunder and never leave the ice and we will all bow to his supreme dominance. Anything less than this and Kenny will be fired and replaced by Mike Milbury.
Jordan Tootoo will wreck shop.

We need someone like Parise that can penetrate the box.-blueadams

#27 arag

arag

1st Line Sniper

• HoF Booster
  • 802 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 05:40 PM

Kenny is that you?

No. It's me.

#28 Hatethedrake!

Hatethedrake!

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,496 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 05:43 PM

Kenny is that you?

Yes this is Kenny. I have little to do right now. Semin wants too much term and money and Doan doesn't know what he wants to do. I have no interest in anyone else besides Yandle and he isn't really available. I like my team and I am doing my due diligence. Smith is ready but he has to earn his way into the starting 6. Oh wait I only have 6 dmen right now so I guess he has already achieved this. Did I say I like my team? Yeah I may wait until later this summer or even into October or November when the prices come down. I may keep my Cap space for the deadline. I like our team. I believe we can be better as a group. There is not much separating 1st from last anymore and parity is at its all time height. I like our team and believe we can compete for the Cup. I will only make a trade if it makes sense.
Jordan Tootoo will wreck shop.

We need someone like Parise that can penetrate the box.-blueadams

#29 13dangledangle

13dangledangle

1st Line All-Star

• Silver Booster
  • 1,835 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 09:45 PM

....Ladies and Gentlemen Jimmy "F%$*ing" Howard.

#30 Nev

Nev

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,085 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 12:23 AM

42, how could you even say that?! Bears eat beets, bears, beats... Battlestar Gallactica...

Crymson went and asked Deep Thought how many points Smith would get this season, and he told him the answer - six by nine.

Edited by Nev, 12 July 2012 - 12:26 AM.

"If I can be totally honest, it's not a lot of guys you get impressed by. Actually, it's no one else but him. From the bench, to see what move he makes -- you're like, 'I wish I could do that.' Sometimes you sit on the bench and just think, 'wow,' and you look over to the other bench and they sit there and shake their heads, too. He has great, great skills. I'm probably not going to play with another player who has the kind of skills he has." Mikael Samuelsson on Pavel Datsyuk

#31 ogreslayer

ogreslayer

1st Line All-Star

• HoF Booster
  • 1,997 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 06:44 AM

Smith to win Hart, Art Ross, Norris, Calder, and the Vezina. Howard will be our #2 dman and Smith can play goal as well as dman at the same time. He is this good. He will eat lightning and crap thunder and never leave the ice and we will all bow to his supreme dominance. Anything less than this and Kenny will be fired and replaced by Mike Milbury.

I'm afraid you didn't put the proper consideration into the fact that Smith will be beat out for all of those by Barret Jackman

#32 VM1138

VM1138

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,608 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 07:39 AM

I hope so, I really hope so. We haven't had a prospect have a major impact their first year since Datsyuk and Zetterberg. Maybe Helm, but not in a super-star way.
Check out my short e-book on the Red Wings' 1937 Stanley Cup championship entitled: "Nothing Could Keep 'Em Down." Please download it from my profile at Smashwords: https://www.smashwor...ile/view/victor

New e-book: The Spanish-American War: A Brief History. Relatively short, introductory read for casual history buffs and people who want to learn more about a forgotten war that changed America. Available at BN.com, Smashwords, Kobo, and Diesel E-Books right now. Same link as above.

#33 Valas19

Valas19

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 219 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 07:55 AM

Based on the dozen-or-so game sampler from last season, I'm quite confident in his offensive capabilities, patience, and vision. What I'm worried about is his backwards skating and his responsibility in his own zone.

This is what worries me. Watching him last year in a limited capacity was often cringe worthy with the bad passes and turnovers.
Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man.

#34 Johnz96

Johnz96

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,423 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 08:04 AM

This is what worries me. Watching him last year in a limited capacity was often cringe worthy with the bad passes and turnovers.

WTF???
You saw what you expected to see out of a rookie
He was credited with 4 giveaways and 5 takeaways (most veteran d-men are credited with more giveaways than takeaways) and the impression I got was that he is really smart and composed and was surprised at how few errors he made considering it was his first few games

#35 Johnz96

Johnz96

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,423 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 08:06 AM

"So it's unfortunate Suter didn't come here, but for me, there's kind of an upside."

From The Detroit News: http://www.detroitne...7#ixzz20Pe5x5Xq

#36 Valas19

Valas19

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 219 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 08:09 AM

WTF???
You saw what you expected to see out of a rookie
He was credited with 4 giveaways and 5 takeaways (most veteran d-men are credited with more giveaways than takeaways) and the impression I got was that he is really smart and composed and was surprised at how few errors he made considering it was his first few games

I am trying to be a realist. So many are gushing and seemingly expecting the world of this kid and didn't bother to pay attention to those mistakes.

#37 evilzyme

evilzyme

Games a gongshow.

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,095 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 08:13 AM

I think the only downfall to smith is simply just learning when he can pinch. Which is only going to come with experience and learning from mistakes. The boy has a hell of a ceiling.

Pavel Datsyuk - "Pasha" - #13
"Got no fun if you got no puck"
'"I like ladies" - Towards the Lady Byng trophy
"Hannnnnnnnnnk"
"Okay $5 now"

I'm Don Cherry and Danny DeKeyser is my Kadri.

#38 Z Winged Dangler

Z Winged Dangler

Part 3: Return of the Hammer Hands

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,219 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 08:14 AM

I think Smith is gonna steal the show this year, and I'm glad that he's coming in confident and wanting a big role with the team.

"I play hockey, but I am not very good.  Can someone please tell me what it would take to sign with the Wings ? I can use a million or two."  ~ arag

Dan Cleary is an Xbox 360.  While good for a while, it's time for the new generation to take over.

#39 Johnz96

Johnz96

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,423 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 08:22 AM

I am trying to be a realist. So many are gushing and seemingly expecting the world of this kid and didn't bother to pay attention to those mistakes.

Again he was credited with 4 giveaways in his first 14 games prorate that over 81 games gives you 23, which is less than Stuart had in his 81 games
22 over 77 games, 10 fewer than White
20.5 over 72 games 13 less than Quincey
20 over 70 games 3 less than Lidstrom
And if I prorated his takeaways the only one who beats him is Lidstrom by 2

You were deluded by your preconceptions

#40 Valas19

Valas19

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 219 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 08:44 AM

Again he was credited with 4 giveaways in his first 14 games prorate that over 81 games gives you 23, which is less than Stuart had in his 81 games
22 over 77 games, 10 fewer than White
20.5 over 72 games 13 less than Quincey
20 over 70 games 3 less than Lidstrom
And if I prorated his takeaways the only one who beats him is Lidstrom by 2

You were deluded by your preconceptions

Give me the stats for bad passes or being out of position. Look, I'm not dumping on the guy. By all account he looks to be the real deal but c'mon, let's not prematurely give him the Calder already and anoint him as the next Red Wing legend. Tone down the expectations before we become disappointed if he doesn't live up to them. Kindl was a pretty highly thought of prospect, obviously not as high as Smith, but many would be fine if he were run out of town because he didn't live up to his limited amount of hype.

I fail to see how watching objectively makes me deluded. But as Walter said to The Dude, "I'm calmer than you are"