• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
evilzyme

Homer

Rate this topic

http://www.expressen.se/sport/hockey/nhl/holmstrom-het-flera-klubbar-intresserade/

Im on my phone so i cant google translate quotes but apparently homer still wants to play and his agent said they have been in talks with some clubs. Im pretty sure i remember homer strictly saying he only would play for this club. What are your thoughts? Im thinking he retires...

I know there's been a Chicago beat writer that keeps calling of the Hawks to sign him. Whatever happens, please god, no Homer to the Hawks. With as many forwards as the Wings are carrying now, I don't see a spot for him unless Kenny pulls off a trade soon. Even then, I'm not sure there's a spot for him.

There's no room on the Wings for Homer anymore. It's time to bring in the new blood and quit hanging on to guys WAY too long. All the best to Homer, but he's no longer useful enough to be on the Wings roster.

I agree. Love Homer, he's a warrior, but this is gonna be a rebuilding year and we have a bunch of young guys ready to step into the lineup. We can't carry any more veteran forwards.

24/7 isn't gonna be as good without him though.

It's a simple old tale - The mind wants what the body can't do... he still has the desire and love and isn't ready to hang them up, but his body is... ultimately, I think he'll come to that conclusion and retire, but Holland is allowing him to go out with grace and rather than come out in the media and say "He's old and useless, we're not bringing him back", he's going about it the right way, for a warrior who has given this team a LOT and deserves to go out on his own terms, so to speak...

He will not be back here next year as a player, I guarantee that.

It's a simple old tale - The mind wants what the body can't do... he still has the desire and love and isn't ready to hang them up, but his body is... ultimately, I think he'll come to that conclusion and retire, but Holland is allowing him to go out with grace and rather than come out in the media and say "He's old and useless, we're not bringing him back", he's going about it the right way, for a warrior who has given this team a LOT and deserves to go out on his own terms, so to speak...

Hire him on as a media liaison so he can still hang around the lockerroom & be all over 24/7 too. Perfect fit for sure.

Especially with the style of game he's played over the years. I love Homer but really want to give the younger guys a chance.

Hire him on as a media liaison so he can still hang around the lockerroom & be all over 24/7 too. Perfect fit for sure.

I recommended something along this line. I love Homer, and he's given his all and then some for this team. I'd love to see him stay on, but not at the expense of guys who could offer more physically.

His net presence will never be replaced. That was his special niche. As a player, though, we just have too many others who can fill that roster spot and do better in the other areas of the ice.

Hopefully, some will have picked up some pointers from the master and have the balls to do what he did.

Definately have him around for interviews. I suggested having him interview the players. That could be fun.

What about having him as the media liaison (too much potential gold there), but some form of coaching position so he can pass on his net front wisdom as well? If we can get a young prospect to develop in that area it could be huge. I realize that his internal GPS for the crease line and hand-eye coordination are innate, but anything to be gleaned from him can only help.

I'm one of those who was skeptical of the Tootoo signing, but if Homer could teach him some of his net front tricks, it would create some VERY interesting possibilities. McKee and Callahan are other possibilities that come to mind.

What about having him as the media liaison (too much potential gold there), but some form of coaching position so he can pass on his net front wisdom as well? If we can get a young prospect to develop in that area it could be huge. I realize that his internal GPS for the crease line and hand-eye coordination are innate, but anything to be gleaned from him can only help.

I'm one of those who was skeptical of the Tootoo signing, but if Homer could teach him some of his net front tricks, it would create some VERY interesting possibilities. McKee and Callahan are other possibilities that come to mind.

Imagine McKee and Callahan on the same roster. These guys would fuel each other and you'd more than likely have one or the other on the ice if s*** hits the fan.

Imagine McKee and Callahan on the same roster. These guys would fuel each other and you'd more than likely have one or the other on the ice if s*** hits the fan.

Probie/Kocur the next generation? But with the Holmstrom net-front presence further irritating/infuriating the opposition? Mwahahahahaha.

I recommended something along this line. I love Homer, and he's given his all and then some for this team. I'd love to see him stay on, but not at the expense of guys who could offer more physically.

His net presence will never be replaced. That was his special niche. As a player, though, we just have too many others who can fill that roster spot and do better in the other areas of the ice.

Hopefully, some will have picked up some pointers from the master and have the balls to do what he did.

Definately have him around for interviews. I suggested having him interview the players. That could be fun.

Have him work with Abdelkader and Miller. Show them the way. Both are around his size and have more skill everywhere but standing in front of the net. And Abby is a menace, he'd be good for the Homer role and could probably piss off the other teams goalie just as much.

Have him work with Abdelkader and Miller. Show them the way. Both are around his size and have more skill everywhere but standing in front of the net. And Abby is a menace, he'd be good for the Homer role and could probably piss off the other teams goalie just as much.

I like this idea as well.

I have never understood why the wings havent/didnt groom someone under Homer....it is such a special skill he possesed. Granted, heart guts and iron will were/are just as important but one would think some kid could have found his niche being a Homer clone.

I agree. Love Homer, he's a warrior, but this is gonna be a rebuilding year and we have a bunch of young guys ready to step into the lineup. We can't carry any more veteran forwards.

24/7 isn't gonna be as good without him though.

Wow. Totally with you on the "moving on from Homer" bit, but this is a "rebuilding year"? I know what you meant, but it was jarring to read that the Wings are "rebuilding" when they were the 2nd oldest team in the league last year (29.178), and the only significant changes are deleting Lidstrom and substituting guys like Stuart and Homer with guys like Samuelsson and Tootoo.

Yes, there are some younger guys who will become starters (Nyquist, Smith) whereas they would have been blocked by veterans before. But that happens on every team. The Flyers gave significant time to Sean Coturerier last year (who was a teenager), but that's because he was good...they were not a "rebuild" either.

A "rebuild" signifies one of two things:

(1) The core of your team is shifted to a group of younger players who have not yet reached their potential, but could be elite someday; or

(2) You are sacrificing short-term winning at the expense of evaluating a large volume of prospects on the NHL team, whether elite or not.

Coincidentally, the Minnesota Wild were in Camp #2 until they signed Parise and Suter. I don't see the Red Wings in either camp. And if they were, they certainly wouldn't be looking to add someone like Shane Doan or, arguably, Alexander Semin. Due to draft position and trading away picks, the Wings lack the organizational firepower to do a full "rebuild". We are still a playoff team, and Holland is evaluating each move for how it can make us a more competitive team and go further in the playoffs.