• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#21 stactum

stactum

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 216 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 09:56 AM

His numbers also compare very favorably to Rick Nash and Bobby Ryan as well, and most of us (myself included) would be thrilled to have those guys.

There are a lot of negative things you can say about Semin, but lazy and inconsistent shouldn't be among them.

There are about 37 Russian players in the NHL, some of them are top talent: Dats, Ovi, Malkin, Kovy and many others, so if out of 37 players 5 players have somewhat questionable work ethics - it's easy to call rest of them "lazy", however it's not always true and if you take any nation and look at their players with questionable work ethics you will probably get the same percentage (US, Canada, Finland, Sweden, Czech Republic); but as far as Russians - they've had some vivid examples: Yashin, Kovalev, Radulov, etc.

Would you call Kovalchuk lazy? He is always in top 10 point-wise, had a decent run in the playoffs, but few years back everyone was taling that he is extremely selfish and lazy.

I personally would be thrilled to have Semin; I think the whole Red Wings team mentality and dynamics, in addition to Dats influence would make him extremely good player for us.

Hey, and remember many of you called Dats playoff bust a few years ago?

#22 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,666 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 10:05 AM

Sharapova seems really hard working.

I agree with whoever brought up the old Soviet teams and how they were essentially together all year, worked like dogs, and got paid squat. Those guys retired to live in apartment buildings along with other civilians. Not like nowadays, where there's all these guaranteed millions.

Maybe I'm wrong, but I bet there's a lot more lazy Canadians in hockey now than there was 30 or 40 years ago. Just part of this era more than anything else. Guaranteed money would make us all more likely to be lazy.
According to my profile, my reputation is excellent. LOL.

#23 cusimano_brothers

cusimano_brothers

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,605 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 11:26 AM

Lately, they seem to want to perform at a higher level in non-NHL events.

"Mess up tomorrow, don't mess up now".

- Harry James Benson, CBE.

#24 newfy

newfy

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,114 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 10:00 PM

Definitely not all Russians are lazy, as wings fans we should all know that. But I do think a much larger percentage of Russians fit that Russian stereotype than a lot of people let on. Some people might call me a Don Cherry or something but I dont really care and find the stereotype to be true quite often, but before you jump all over me, hear me out.

The guys who come over from Russia are stars usually, not a lot of grinders stay over here because just as good of a living can be made at home in the KHL as a grinder. This means that guys who get by on skill alone are pretty much the only ones that make it. You'll never have a Russian 4th liner out there busting his balls to block shots and kill penalties for aliving because they do that in the KHL. So while some North Americans are just as lazy, for every lazy one, theres probably 5 Darren Helms just trying to hold down a roster spot through hard work.

Russians on top of that dont grow up dreaming about the cup like North AMericans, theyre seeing olympic gold and world championships which are played when North Americans think the real hockey is just starting.

Howver even the ones who arent lazy seem to fit that prima donna stereotype in one way or another. Hell, even Datsyuk was being called to be traded by some because he wanted a big contract. Fedorov held out for a season almost on the wings, and these are the guys we use to prove the stereotype wrong whe something like this comes up. There were also only 24 Russians to play an NHL game last year, so the big names that struggle like Semin or Ovechkin it becomes more apparent.

Overall, I think there is some honest truth to the tag Russians have for the most part but that doesnt mean any Russian is a lazy, money hungry Commie. Datsyuk is a prime example

RIP BOB PROBERT #24

#25 jroc86

jroc86

Rookie

• Pip
  • 187 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 10:21 PM

I think that Russians appear lazy for a few reasons. Firstly, they grow up playing a different brand of hockey - pure a simple. More emphasis is placed on creativity and offence and less is placed on structure and defensive play. In regards to Russian sniper type players (ie, Kovalchuk, Ovie, Bure, Semin, etc) their speed is what separates them and gives them scoring chances. Those quick 5-7 second bursts to beat a checker and get a breakaway and get the goal are predominatly supplied by the creatine phsophate system within our muscles - and lactate system also plays a role. If your humming around all shift at 85% pursuing the puck and sticking with your check odds are youll be less likely to with footraces towards the mid/end of your shift. But if you come out and float/wait high in the zone and then bury the pedal you going to be faster and provide yourself more time and space when you do in fact get the puck. You might get more goals and points over a season playing like this - but odds are more will end up in your net and youll leave teammates out to dry allot. Note: Ovies lack of production playing more defensivley minded. This is why many around the league beleive that if Datsyuk didnt play so disciplined he could score 100points a year. how many times do we see Pavel back-check, battle in the corner, break the puck out and finally get an odd man break but be skating 60% speed because hes already been going for 40 seconds? It happens allot - but I have no problem with it because hes so good on the defensive side of the puck.

#26 X13WINGS13X

X13WINGS13X

#!*% Lebron, Lidstrom is the king.

• Pip
  • 116 posts

Posted 14 July 2012 - 01:47 AM

Russians players are often lone stars who might work hard but don't function very well in a group. This is one reason the russian national team rarely has any success, all those stars but they can't play together.

HAHAHA. Your lack of hockey knowledge astounds me. The Russian national team has been ranked in the top 2 for the last 5 years, the last 4 being ranked #1 in the IIHF international Men's Rankings. They haven't fallen out of the top 5 since 2004. As far as their playing style goes, the system is based on the betterment of the team, fundamentals that were placed on the program during its starting Soviet years by Anatoly Tarasov who describes the ideal player as "having tactical intuition, precision work with his partners, perfect orientation, a feeling of the game, the ability to see, understand, and even anticipate the actions of the closest and furthermost opponents and partners. And what is most important, all these qualities must be retained and put into use in the toughest moments of the game, when the pitch of a game is at its highest, when the emotions of players are as taut as bow strings." These are the characteristics that Tarasov placed upon his team when founding the program in the USSR and these characteristics still hold true to the system today. Watch an international game played by the Russian nationals; every player, even guys like Semin and Radulov, are working their ass off for their team and anything it takes to make them win.

Edited by X13WINGS13X, 14 July 2012 - 01:50 AM.

#27 esteef

esteef

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 8,874 posts

Posted 14 July 2012 - 02:30 AM

I heard they smell.

esteef
"The Wings haven't won a Cup without Darren McCarty since 1955."

#28 Ekmanc

Ekmanc

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 810 posts

Posted 14 July 2012 - 01:37 PM

HAHAHA. Your lack of hockey knowledge astounds me. The Russian national team has been ranked in the top 2 for the last 5 years, the last 4 being ranked #1 in the IIHF international Men's Rankings. They haven't fallen out of the top 5 since 2004. As far as their playing style goes, the system is based on the betterment of the team, fundamentals that were placed on the program during its starting Soviet years by Anatoly Tarasov who describes the ideal player as "having tactical intuition, precision work with his partners, perfect orientation, a feeling of the game, the ability to see, understand, and even anticipate the actions of the closest and furthermost opponents and partners. And what is most important, all these qualities must be retained and put into use in the toughest moments of the game, when the pitch of a game is at its highest, when the emotions of players are as taut as bow strings." These are the characteristics that Tarasov placed upon his team when founding the program in the USSR and these characteristics still hold true to the system today. Watch an international game played by the Russian nationals; every player, even guys like Semin and Radulov, are working their ass off for their team and anything it takes to make them win.

Have never fallen out of the top5? haha what kind of measuring stick is that? how would one of the two super powers in hockey fall out of the top5 when there are barely five good countries combined? Russia has more players, more money more everything than any other country combined except for Canada.

How have they done in the last couple of tournaments when all the best players have played? When they have too many stars they almost always play "one man show" ice hockey.

Compare to Sweden and Finland who are much more of a collective and truly know how to get the best out of eachother and play for eachother in every situation.

Not sure why I even bothered replying to this, the part about Radulov working his ass off should've made it clear that you were only trolling :P

Edited by Ekmanc, 14 July 2012 - 01:39 PM.

#29 RusDRW

RusDRW

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,338 posts

Posted 14 July 2012 - 02:17 PM

just like I said take a look at the WJHC 2012 game between Russia and Canada and you'll see that all. Speed, creativity, accurate passing of Russian players vs brute force, activity, pressere of Canadian players. It does not mean that there are no good forecheckers from Russia (Dvuruchesly) or speesters (Etem) from Canada. It is somethings that has never changed. Well, for a short time Russians tried to play like Canadians in 90s. It din't work. Now it is once again: will hardwork outwork skill or not...

Looking forward to more games between Canada and Russia. In late 90s and 00s Canada dominated which is understandable. Closer to 2010s we were better, well except for that Olympic quarerfinals. The rest was ours including three concecutive wins in WJHC that Canadians values more than WHC meetings.
Sweet. This dude was brought here for one reason, to punch people in the head - every other thing that he can do, other Wings can do better. I like that we have a head-puncher. The league has other, better head-punchers, but this one is ours. Better than nothing. Good work, Kenny!

© mikah

#30 jroc86

jroc86

Rookie

• Pip
  • 187 posts

Posted 14 July 2012 - 02:28 PM

Then watching the gold medal game vs Sweden we got to see whats in my oppinion the best brand of hockey going. They made the Russian team look like total amateurs inregards to their puck possesion and team play. Going into overtime the shots were something like 50-8.

just like I said take a look at the WJHC 2012 game between Russia and Canada and you'll see that all. Speed, creativity, accurate passing of Russian players vs brute force, activity, pressere of Canadian players. It does not mean that there are no good forecheckers from Russia (Dvuruchesly) or speesters (Etem) from Canada. It is somethings that has never changed. Well, for a short time Russians tried to play like Canadians in 90s. It din't work. Now it is once again: will hardwork outwork skill or not...

Looking forward to more games between Canada and Russia. In late 90s and 00s Canada dominated which is understandable. Closer to 2010s we were better, well except for that Olympic quarerfinals. The rest was ours including three concecutive wins in WJHC that Canadians values more than WHC meetings.

#31 Ekmanc

Ekmanc

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 810 posts

Posted 14 July 2012 - 04:11 PM

Then watching the gold medal game vs Sweden we got to see whats in my oppinion the best brand of hockey going. They made the Russian team look like total amateurs inregards to their puck possesion and team play. Going into overtime the shots were something like 50-8.

Yup that was one great hockey game.

#32 Dabura

Dabura

Everydayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,014 posts

Posted 14 July 2012 - 05:10 PM

I'm thoroughly convinced that the only reason anyone thinks Semin is lazy is because other people say Semin is lazy. How often does he need to score in order to be considered consistent and not lazy? Should he score as often as Zach Parise? Oh wait, he already does. Should his plus/minus be better than Parise's? Wait, it already is. Maybe if he shot more or passed as much? Wait, he does that too...and at a higher percentage. About the only areas in which he and Parise don't match up are number of games played, and ice time. Factor those in and Semin has done as well or better than Zach Parise in every major category with MUCH less time on ice.

His numbers also compare very favorably to Rick Nash and Bobby Ryan as well, and most of us (myself included) would be thrilled to have those guys.

There are a lot of negative things you can say about Semin, but lazy and inconsistent shouldn't be among them.

Nice try, Semin. I can smell your laziness from here, through the internet.

Now, what have you done with kipwinger? Is he safe?

Don't Toews me, bro!