• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
REDHASEK

Dominik Hasek's agent: "He will play, and he will excel"

Rate this topic

It seems Dominik Hasek is taking a page out of Jaromir Jagr's playbook.

The 47-year-old former Red Wings goalie who won the 2002 and 2008 Stanley Cups with the team is planning an NHL comeback, according to his agent, Ritch Winter.

“He will play,” Winter said to ProHockeyTalk. “There is no option. He will play and he will excel and he will do all of the things he can do.

“That’s his view of it. There’s one objective, and that’s it — he won’t fail.”

Hasek retired in 2008 after the Wings' Stanley Cup run in which he lost his starting goaltending job to Chris Osgood in the first round. He started 40 games that season, holding a save percentage of .902.

He also played for the Red Wings from 2001-04, winning the Cup in 2002, and starred in Buffalo from 1992-2001. He is a six-time Vezina Trophy winner as the NHL's best goaltender and won the MVP award in 1997 and 1998.

The Red Wings have no interest in bringing Hasek back. But Winter is convinced Hasek, despite turning 48 in January, is still in prime shape to compete in the NHL after playing in Czechoslovakia.

“He’s done all of the stuff you’d expect a NASA scientist to do before they go into a venture like this,” Winter told ProHockeyTalk. “He’s measured his reflexes, he’s measured his reaction time and it’s identical to what it was at the time he won a number of Vezina trophies. He’s actually 1.6 pounds off his playing weight at the Nagano Olympics (in 1998).

“Who keeps records like that? I guess Dom. Who knows their body, does reaction time and reflex training and measurement? I guess Dom.”

Hasek's NHL plan may not include the Sabres, however. General manager Darcy Regier told the Buffalo News that, despite meeting with Hasek, the team isn't interested in bringing him back.

http://www.freep.com/article/20120713/SPORTS05/120713080/detroit-red-wings-dominik-hasek-nhl-return?odyssey=tab%7Ctopnews%7Ctext%7CSports

If any team will actually take a flier on him, well, best of luck to him, I'm just glad it's not here... he is simply too old and too far removed from the NHL caliber of game, and even 5 years younger his groin couldn't take the rigors, I see there being ZERO chance of him being able to handle it now... but, once again, best of luck to him, it'd kinda be a cool story if he could...

Guest Crymson

Um, the last time Hasek played in Czechoslovakia was in the 80's.

Clever.

Dom either;

1) Still loses sleep over Ozzy taking over for him in 2008 and getting the job done and doesnt like hows thats his NHL career ended.

2) Is finding any excuse to get away from a s***ty marriage.

lol ... best of luck. If he makes a comeback and is a decent backup for 20 or so games good for him. Hell be the Randy Couture of hockey.

I knew he would come back, that's exactly why I still haven't changed my avatar. :notworthy: My favorite goalie hands down, but come on 48 and still wants to play in the NHL? This league has evolved it's a young mans league !

If I was a GM and had a potentially hot young goalie and no decent backup, I'd have a conversation with Dom about coming in as a backup and kind of mentor to the kid. If they had a similar style, Dom would be a fantastic teacher. (Not that anyone really has a "similar" style to Hasek, but you know what I mean.)

His work ethic, mad training, and drive to succeed alone would make him a valuable asset as a locker room leader. I could see him used as a veteran presence that can be relied on to carry part of the load.

He's been dominating in lesser leagues, and don't forget that his last NHL appearance was due to two bad games. He and Ozzie split time evenly during the season. They didn't win the Jennings on the merits of only one of them. It was a true tandem.

I say that if someone's willing to give him a go, more power to him. Plus it makes me feel younger if there are players in the NHL that are older than I am. :P