• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Wing Across The Pond

Mike Modano pondering comeback?

Rate this topic

Wow, there seems to be a Anti-Madono sentiment here. Honestly, I wouldn't even mind if he came here on a small contract. Should he play with anybody? I don't know, if he feels hockey ready and shows someone that he can still work it, then by all means. The age thing people are referring to, really? REALLY? People who are fans of the Detroit Red Wings think he is too old? I'm shocked honestly, I mean who are we to decide what someone who is 42 can, and cannot do?

If Holland can't get anybody through free agency, I would consider it.

Wow, there seems to be a Anti-Madono sentiment here. Honestly, I wouldn't even mind if he came here on a small contract. Should he play with anybody? I don't know, if he feels hockey ready and shows someone that he can still work it, then by all means. The age thing people are referring to, really? REALLY? People who are fans of the Detroit Red Wings think he is too old? I'm shocked honestly, I mean who are we to decide what someone who is 42 can, and cannot do?

If Holland can't get anybody through free agency, I would consider it.

I don't think some are questioning his capacity to still be a productive player, but at the current moment, he wouldn't be an ideal fit for the team. There are plenty of other players who are currently with the organization and would be just as effective as Modano.

Mike would only log limited minutes and it would be on the 4th line. The team is in need of defense and then a forward would can play top minutes on the 1st or 2nd line.

His fans had all said he lacked heart the last few seasons, and before his injury in Detroit he wasn't showing much of anything. I imagine he'd be even less of a factor on the ice than he was now. Let a team take him.

The wrist injury was a message. He needs to listen to his body.

Take it easy and wait for the call from the Hall.

Well the only thing I would say to this is that it wasn't his bodies fault that someone ran over his wrist. That is a horrible statement.

On the other hand I know he'd be a 4th liner, but really would that matter? Just saying...

Well the only thing I would say to this is that it wasn't his bodies fault that someone ran over his wrist. That is a horrible statement.

On the other hand I know he'd be a 4th liner, but really would that matter? Just saying...

Yeah we already have a huge logjam at forward, lets sign a 42 year old forward who brings nothing to the team and make it worse.

We have 15 roster forwards and Nyquist, Tatar, and Andersson. If we actually had 4 forwards injured at one time I'd much rather insert one of Nyquist, Tatar, or Andersson, who all NEED NHL ice-time, than a plug like Modano. At least Homer would bring the front of the net presence and PP specialty....Modano would bring nothing....not scoring, not speed, not physicality. He's reliable defensively, that's about it.

Doubt Modano would even consider signing here anyway. With 15 roster forwards and ready prospects, he knows he would likely be a healthy scratch most of the season.

Yeah we already have a huge logjam at forward, lets sign a 42 year old forward who brings nothing to the team and make it worse.

We have 15 roster forwards and Nyquist, Tatar, and Andersson. If we actually had 4 forwards injured at one time I'd much rather insert one of Nyquist, Tatar, or Andersson, who all NEED NHL ice-time, than a plug like Modano. At least Homer would bring the front of the net presence and PP specialty....Modano would bring nothing....not scoring, not speed, not physicality. He's reliable defensively, that's about it.

Doubt Modano would even consider signing here anyway. With 15 roster forwards and ready prospects, he knows he would likely be a healthy scratch most of the season.

I wasn't saying he should join us I was saying he is still got "it" and could even be a Red Wing if circumstances were right. I don't think he needs to be here either.

It's too bad how his stay here went I think he had a lot more to give. I wish we played him more in the playoffs. However, he's done. 42 and his best skill in his prime was his skating. If he somehow managed a 82 game season on a good team he might net 10 goals and 30 points at the most.

but would be cool if I was wrong and he pulled a Selanne. I always liked Mike.

Edited by Number19

I wasn't saying he should join us I was saying he is still got "it" and could even be a Red Wing if circumstances were right. I don't think he needs to be here either.

Honestly, I wouldn't even mind if he came here on a small contract. Should he play with anybody? I don't know, if he feels hockey ready and shows someone that he can still work it, then by all means. If Holland can't get anybody through free agency, I would consider it.

Not that I think we should sign him, but it's a shame that he's getting so much grief here about his time as a Wing. He never really got a chance to get going so it's hard to say how things might have ended up if not for such a freak incident. It wasn't as if he pulled his groin because he was too old or something; he got sliced open by a skate blade! Who's to say how he might have looked at the end of the season had he been able to get comfortable with his game here? Some say he started slow, and his conditioning wasn't all there, but for an older player, I'm willing to overlook it if he has legs in the playoffs when it counts. I tend to think he would have risen to the occasion if not for the rather major setback. It was a real shame that it had to end that way. I'm not bitter at all; it was just an unfortunate situation that really was out of everyone's control. It could have happened to anyone.

Not that I think we should sign him, but it's a shame that he's getting so much grief here about his time as a Wing. He never really got a chance to get going so it's hard to say how things might have ended up if not for such a freak incident. It wasn't as if he pulled his groin because he was too old or something; he got sliced open by a skate blade! Who's to say how he might have looked at the end of the season had he been able to get comfortable with his game here? Some say he started slow, and his conditioning wasn't all there, but for an older player, I'm willing to overlook it if he has legs in the playoffs when it counts. I tend to think he would have risen to the occasion if not for the rather major setback. It was a real shame that it had to end that way. I'm not bitter at all; it was just an unfortunate situation that really was out of everyone's control. It could have happened to anyone.

Your misinterpreting. No one here is giving him grief about his time as a wing, and certainly none of us here are bitter towards him. I was really excited when he first signed here and it was just a huge shame for his career to end with a freak injury before he even got a chance with us. I so badly wanted him to go out on top as a wing. Would have been an awesome end to the awesome career of an awesome player....awesome. Like 2 ppl here gave him grief and I don't think they even realized he was injured by a skate so forget them.

Fact is, there is no room for him here...we don't even have enough room for the players we already have signed...He's a bottom 6 forward and we have 10 bottom 6 forwards....I'm a very pro-Holland guy, but it would be beyond moronic for him to sign Mo right now. I wish him luck elsewhere though....if another team actually gives him a contract, which I don't think will happen.

Modano didn't have "it" when he played here 2 years ago. He didn't have "it" his last 2 seasons in Dallas, that's why they stuck him on the 4th line. He had half a season to "get it going" and couldn't. He's been washed up for 4-5 years, who in their right mind thinks he has anything left to offer? Mike Modano WAS a great hockey player, one of the best in the league during his time. But his time is over, and has been for some time. It needs to stay that way.