• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Red Wings Addict

Should Pav and Z play on the same line for the majority of this season

Rate this topic

The Euro Twins  

78 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

GYI0064670670_extra_large.jpg

Fact: Lines change many times throughout the season.

Fact: Certain lines play together more than others for a clear majority of the 82-game season.

Fact: Pav and Z still display occasional remnants of their "Euro Twins" magical chemistry.

Fact: At the same time, Pav and Z as centers on their own separate lines leads to stronger depth.

Fact: Bears... beets... Battlestar Galactica.

With all that in mind, should Pav and Z play on the same line for the majority of this season (ES, PP, etc.)? Or is the magic all but dead in the water?

GYI0064670670_extra_large.jpg

Fact: Lines change many times throughout the season.

Fact: Certain lines play together more than others for a clear majority of the 82-game season.

Fact: Pav and Z still display occasional remnants of their "Euro Twins" magical chemistry.

Fact: At the same time, Pav and Z as centers on their own separate lines leads to stronger depth.

Fact: Bears... beets... Battlestar Galactica.

With all that in mind, should Pav and Z play on the same line for the majority of this season (ES, PP, etc.)? Or is the magic all but dead in the water?

It's weird seeing Pav with a larger beard than Z....

I say give Flip a chance to play the centre on the 2nd line. If these reports are true the Wings organization have a lot of faith in flip. It seems like Pav hasn't been able to find chemistry with anyone the last couple years, truth is he needs a shoot first mentality player on his line. I wouldn't be surprised if Samuelsson becomes a big part of this team next year

Tough question.

Hank and Filppula had great chemistry last season so I don't see much reason to split them up. But then again Pavel definitely needs more help on his line. Can't always put Pav with table scraps like Bertuzzi, Cleary or Samuelsson.

I think we're going to see even more rotation of the lines than ever before. If we can find a 2nd line that works, maybe Brunner-Filppula-Samuelsson or something, I'd definitely like to see Hank and Pav play full time together.

Both great centers and both play an outstanding two way game. Unless theyre needed to shut down a top line together i think they should be split. Id rather split the shut down abilities of both across the top 6 and have both center 1 and 2 respectively. We just need to give pasha some support inwhich case he's been lacking. I still think pasha and filp are a deadly combo. Bring brunner to second line with hank and push filp to 1st w pasha.

If you want to have depth in your forward lines, then no. I know that's how we had it in '08, but can Franzen, Cleary and Filppula be a threat on the second line still? I don't know. Flip seems like a completely different person when he plays on Z's line as opposed to not being on it. I wouldn't want to screw that up.

Have to keep them separated as they will center two different lines I would think even though Pavs is considered a wing?

Like others have mentioned, not enough depth at the current moment unless we obtain another higher end forward.

Edited by Rivalred

This is a tough one. I'm not sure there's really a "right" answer to it. The fact is that both Datsyuk and Z are unselfish players who have the ability to create for others. Yes, when they play together, they create for one another, and it can be magical. But I don't think it's as important as "who do we pair with Joe Thornton" or somebody like that, where you have specific wingers that you're trying to have thrive with one of those guys at center. The one exception to this would be if we signed a guy like Semin, for whom the selling point would be to play with Datsyuk.

I think Filppula has to be a 2nd line center for this team and effective in that role if we're going to do anything. Hopefully someone like Nyquist or Brunner can develop chemistry with him and get us another effective Top 6 forward. Injuries may necessitate that move anyway. I think the "magic" of the Euro Twins is a big overstated, because some of Datsyuk best moments have been on the ice next to very "unmagical" traffic cones such as Bert and Holmstrom. But since Flip is a center, and should be a pretty good one, I'm not opposed to #13 and #40 on the same line.

Orrrrr you get really crazy and give Flip an opportunity to grow even more by having him center the first line with Datsyuk and Z can center the second line...

Franzen-Filppula-Datsyuk

Nyquist-Zetterberg-Brunner/Samuelsson

Z could be a great mentor to Nyquist and/or Brunner

Edited by SwedeLundin77

I like it on the PP but not at even strength anymore. They dont seemt o have the chemistry they once did ( but thats because Babs always seems to screw with the lines)

I like Hank with Flip and Pavs with Mule. They need some help here but each had chemistry with the other...especially Hank and Flip!

I dont think it would be a bad idea to have them together. Flip is good enough to center the second line if he has the help. This gives Pav legitimate help and I think Z gets back to 35+ goals if healthy. If its me and there are no changes I go with this is as our top 6...

Z- Pav- Nyquist

Mule- Flip- Brunner/ Sammy (Hopefully Brunner is the real deal!)

Doubt Babs does anything like this but I believe thats the best top 6 we can produce without signing a Semin or Doan.

I voted no. I just don't think the Red Wings have enough skill in the top-six to have the luxury of putting their two best forwards together. Teams will just send their top pairing out there against them and then you are really relying on Franzen, Filppula, Samuelsson to come through offensively and I'm not sure any of them can do that without having Z or Pavel on their line.

Also, I think you could easily make the case that their magic together has worn off since 2008. Maybe if they consistently were on the same line, it could return to an extent, but they played together early in the season last year and were actually quite awful. Z and Filppula had terrific chemistry, so it would be hard to go away from that to start. The obvious downside to that is unfortunately you leave Pavel lugging around Franzen again. The top-six is just severely lacking a true goal-scoring winger and has been since Hossa left. That's why Semin seems like such a logical move.

I would try Filppula, Z and Sammy (maybe Brunner depending on what he shows) and Franzen, Pavel and Nyquist together. Not an overwhelmingly strong top-six, but probably adequate enough to score goals during the regular season. Playoffs are a different story.

Z was a 40 goal scorer playing wing. Fil is good on wing but doesn't have the same sniping/scoring ability that Z has. With Fil really coming into his own and seeing him protect the puck the way he does, I fully support moving Z to Dats' wing. Also consider that with Z and Dats together they don't have to carry separate lines and can probably stay healthier due to less stress of having each other. We have the pieces already without a trade to make this work imo. I just think with dats wrist and Z's back putting them together makes sense. Fil will have to become a top 6 centre eventually when they retire so might as well make it happen now.

Zetterberg-Datsyuk-Brunner

Nyquist-Filppula-Franzen

Cleary-Helm-Sammy

Bertuzzi-Abdelkader-Tootoo

Note that eaves, miller, emmerton, mursak are all out. This kinda sucks. The second line could be VERY good if Nyquist is what we all think he is. Flip Sammy and Brunner if Brunner doesn't produce.

With Semin:

Zetterberg-Datsyuk-Semin

Nyquist-Filppula-Franzen

Cleary-Helm-Sammy

Bertuzzi-Abdelkader-Tootoo

Jesus we just have too many forwards. Honestly think we are looking to trade at some point. It just doesn't add up. Kenny won't sit one of Sammy/Bert/Cleary/Brunner and he def won't go into the season with both Eaves, Miller on the pine.

Edited by dirtydangles

I'm actually pretty surprised at the 50/50 results. It shows how times have changed I guess. Or perhaps it's telling about watching Pav and Z play together.

The sacrifice in depth used to be worth it. I mean, the forward depth wasn't all that impressive the year they won they cup; they didn't even have Hossa. Then again more teams have gotten significantly better since '08. Gotta roll with the times I guess.

I think that all depends on Flip's production if he moves back to center. If his offense regresses if they move him off the wing & there's nobody that picks up the slack on the 2nd line, the Wings can't afford to have Z & Pavs together for any extended length of time.

It's definitely the next step in terms of his development. Can he be a 55-60 point two-way center?

I must say Id keep them apart unless we get another solid top 6 center from somewhere. I really think Flip did his best work on the wing imo. He is a great center don't get me wrong but hes one hard working, talented winger when on a line with D or Z. I also though he had good chemistry with both of them as well. Also could you imagine our line up with a new player or two?

Franzen-Datsyuk-Semin

Flip-Zetterberg-Doan

Nyquist-Helm-Sammy

Tootoo-Abby-Bert

...Come one Kenny...