• This topic is locked This topic is locked
116 replies to this topic

#21 CrimsonFlame

CrimsonFlame

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 862 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 10:21 AM

Not really a surprised. Trading your franchise player to a division rival doesn't exactly happen very often.

As I said before, hockey strategy aside it's just bad marketing. If you think Columbus fans are unhappy with the team now, imagine how they'd feel if they traded Nash to the Wings. There'd be a riot.

Of what, all 200 of them?

#22 WingsAlways

WingsAlways

Grind Line 2.0

• PipPip
  • 327 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 10:34 AM

Not really a surprised. Trading your franchise player to a division rival doesn't exactly happen very often.

As I said before, hockey strategy aside it's just bad marketing. If you think Columbus fans are unhappy with the team now, imagine how they'd feel if they traded Nash to the Wings. There'd be a riot.

It doesn't happen very often but it seems to happen to the Wings...

Look when we landed Chris Chelios in 1999, It may not happen, but it certainly can...

"Wow Chicago, you've won four Stanley Cups? Me too! - Kris Draper"

#23 JasonNewEra

JasonNewEra

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 265 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 10:39 AM

Would you all have preferred he not try at all?

12412215175_9591987538_o.jpg

#24 puckbags

puckbags

The Future

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,600 posts
  • Location:Cobble Hill, BC, Canada ( 2,522 Miles from the Joe)

Posted 18 July 2012 - 10:42 AM

I don't know what Howson is asking for but we are talking about a guy who has a career high of 79pts. Hasn't scored more than 41 goals. Hasn't scored more than 33 in the last 3 years. Has never won anything....etc...Don't get me wrong he would be a welcomed addition for the scoring punch...but I think Howson may be high on the magic fungus if the thinks he's getting the world for this guy.

"Hard Work Beats Talent When Talent Refuses to Work Hard"

LGW after 1 loss is irrational, after a few in a row it becomes quite comical, 22 playoff appearances in a row and 4 cups in that time and still going strong. Relaxxxxx !!

#25 13dangledangle

13dangledangle

1st Line All-Star

• Silver Booster
  • 1,792 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 10:45 AM

Would you all have preferred he not try at all?

Honestly might as well have. Nash as much as some people here think he'd be great is just untouchable for us.
....Ladies and Gentlemen Jimmy "F%$*ing" Howard.

#26 F.Michael

F.Michael

Old School Dynamic Duo

• HoF Booster
  • 7,496 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 10:45 AM

It doesn't happen very often but it seems to happen to the Wings...

Look when we landed Chris Chelios in 1999, It may not happen, but it certainly can...

Shanahan is another fine example.

We gave up a prime Keith Primeau (although he wasn't happy in Detroit), an aging Paul Coffey, and a 1st round pick for Shanny, and Bryan Glynn.

Worked out great for us!

EDIT - not a division rival - however hi-end players were involved in the trade.

Edited by F.Michael, 18 July 2012 - 10:49 AM.

'Evolution' created by Offsides

#27 LeftWinger

LeftWinger

42 years in Detroit! Time to spend the rest in paradise!

• Silver Booster
  • 8,536 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 10:46 AM

I stil say we hold the trump card in Filppula when it comes to acquiring Ryan... I still think Howson is an idiot, but I guess he doesn't want Franzine either...do you blame him?

BTW, :clap: to Holland this off season, for attemtpting everthing we've been complaining about him NOT doing the last 4-5 years... He is trying...

Blah,Blah,Blah....Trade Pav...Blah, Blah...Trade Z...Yadda, Yadda, Blah...

#28 puckbags

puckbags

The Future

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,600 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 10:47 AM

Their franchise player has landed them 1 playoff appearance and 0 playoff wins since he's been there. Maybe the fans are ready for some fresh faces....then again maybe they arent .

LGW after 1 loss is irrational, after a few in a row it becomes quite comical, 22 playoff appearances in a row and 4 cups in that time and still going strong. Relaxxxxx !!

#29 crispychris

crispychris

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 281 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 10:52 AM

Not many GMs in the west are going to work with us. I wonder if the ducks GM would ship Ryan to a club in the west?

#30 puckbags

puckbags

The Future

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,600 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 10:52 AM

I stil say we hold the trump card in Filppula when it comes to acquiring Ryan... I still think Howson is an idiot, but I guess he doesn't want Franzine either...do you blame him?

BTW, :clap: to Holland this off season, for attemtpting everthing we've been complaining about him NOT doing the last 4-5 years... He is trying...

Personally I would rather see Ryan here anyways..right handed shot..3 years younger...5.1 cap hit opposed to the 7.8 of Nash. Ryan would be my 1st choice via trade..then Semin, Doan, Nash. I was pumped about the idea of getting Nash at one point but Howson is out of his skull it sounds like.

#31 F.Michael

F.Michael

Old School Dynamic Duo

• HoF Booster
  • 7,496 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 10:56 AM

Personally I would rather see Ryan here anyways..right handed shot..3 years younger...5.1 cap hit opposed to the 7.8 of Nash. Ryan would be my 1st choice via trade..then Semin, Doan, Nash. I was pumped about the idea of getting Nash at one point but Howson is out of his skull it sounds like.

Agreed.

Ryan would fit in nicely, and we'd have to give up alot less in return.

#32 pucktividi

pucktividi

the usual suspect

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,328 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 10:57 AM

So the offer was Franzen+prospect+pick and Howson rejected....

#33 Hairy Lime

Hairy Lime

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 275 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 11:15 AM

If that was the offer, I don't blame Howson. Anything short of Filppula+Miller or Abdelkader+Nyguist, Tatar or Jurco(or maybe even two of them)+ draft pick(s) should be rejected if Howson wants to keep his job. He's in a tough spot. He needs to make this trade look good if he wants to keep his job.

#34 F.Michael

F.Michael

Old School Dynamic Duo

• HoF Booster
  • 7,496 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 11:19 AM

I honestly don't know...No names were mentioned - just speculation as far as I can tell.

#35 kipwinger

kipwinger

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,468 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 11:22 AM

Are you asking us or telling us? If this is truly what we offered, then this IS NOT "one hell of an offer". This might be enough to land Jeff Carter at last year's trade deadline, but not enough to land Rick Nash during this year's off season.

GMRwings:  "Well, in other civilized countries, 16 years old isn't considered underage.  For instance, I believe the age of consent is 16 in Canada.  There's some US states where it's 16 as well.  

Get off the high horse.  Not like she was 10."

"Some girls are 17 even though they look 25."

#36 chrisdetroit

chrisdetroit

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,407 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 11:24 AM

Well - the way I see it...Franzen is most likely on the decline...Fillpula will go back to being a 35 to 40 point guy...Nyquist could be a 30 pt guy - then again he could shock us all, and become a 60 to 70 pts guy.

Why not make a trade for a guy who'll ride on Datyuk's wing, and possibly get 40 plus goals, and 80 plus pts?

To me it's high risk - high reward.

Talk about pessimistic.

Franzen is only 32. Why would you think that a 32 year old is on the decline.?

Fillpula is 28 and has just had his best year but you think that he is going to drop from 66 points to 35-40 which is a 40-53% decline. Why do you expect such a huge decline?

Obviously you are not looking at this objectively.
Do or do not. There is no try

#37 pucktividi

pucktividi

the usual suspect

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,328 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 11:37 AM

Are you asking us or telling us? If this is truly what we offered, then this IS NOT "one hell of an offer". This might be enough to land Jeff Carter at last year's trade deadline, but not enough to land Rick Nash during this year's off season.

That's what the reports say.

#38 xtrememachine1

xtrememachine1

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,427 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 11:40 AM

The stock market will see a 50% crash... gas will become $10 per gallon...

Dogs and cats living together... mass hysteria!

#39 F.Michael

F.Michael

Old School Dynamic Duo

• HoF Booster
  • 7,496 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 11:52 AM

Talk about pessimistic.

Franzen is only 32. Why would you think that a 32 year old is on the decline.?

Fillpula is 28 and has just had his best year but you think that he is going to drop from 66 points to 35-40 which is a 40-53% decline. Why do you expect such a huge decline?

Obviously you are not looking at this objectively.

Well - Franzen these past few years has been rather inconsistent, and doesn't appear willing to get those "dirty" goals as he used to.

Prior to this past season - Filppula has been a 35 to 40 pts guy; he's not a 20 to 22 yr old kid who's on the upswing of his career; he's peaked at 28 yrs of age, and IMHO he'll return to the 35 to 40 pts per season.

I'm a realist.

Edited by haroldsnepsts, 18 July 2012 - 01:11 PM.
to remove deleted post that was quoted

#40 kipwinger

kipwinger

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,468 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 12:03 PM

That's what the reports say.

Wow, I didn't see any reports with actual names or anything like that. I'm starting to think we really do lowball everyone we try to deal with. We've trying to trade a division rival for the face of the franchise and captain, and we don't even offer two roster players...unreal. How is this "one hell of an offer"?

GMRwings:  "Well, in other civilized countries, 16 years old isn't considered underage.  For instance, I believe the age of consent is 16 in Canada.  There's some US states where it's 16 as well.  

Get off the high horse.  Not like she was 10."

"Some girls are 17 even though they look 25."