• Please log in to reply
66 replies to this topic

#21 Jedi

Jedi

Spell Forged - Unparalleled Quality

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 9,806 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 02:53 PM

A full training camp with this system will help quite a bit. I think Q will be a better defenseman this year than he was last year for us.

snyoep.jpg
"I am the sword in the darkness... I am the watcher on the walls...
I am the shield that guards the realms of men..."

#22 LeftWinger

LeftWinger

42 years in Detroit! Time to spend the rest in paradise!

• Silver Booster
  • 8,617 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 02:58 PM

Blah...a little more than I would have liked, but whatever...if he becomes one of our top 4, I guess the $250,000 overpayment will be alright...At least we have 6 D now, wonder who the 7th will be, or are we to expect a REAL top 4 defender and have Kindl be #7...

Don't Be Jealous, But I Live Here...

www.thinkdunes.com

Aww You Mad Bro? Are You Butt Hurt?

#23 F.Michael

F.Michael

Old School Dynamic Duo

• HoF Booster
  • 7,530 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 03:06 PM

Not a bad signing for both sides...Hopefully he'll become more consistent.

'Evolution' created by Offsides

#24 Jesusberg

Jesusberg

1st Line All-Star

• Gold Booster
  • 1,621 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 03:07 PM

Lashoff? I only watched a little of him, but wasn't terrible, pretty reliable defensively.

I wouldn't be totally opposed to carrying Lashoff as the 7th guy, but I would prefer them to sign one of the veteran d-men left on the market instead. I'd like to see some kind of stable, experienced presence to mentor some of the younger guys. I wouldn't be opposed to signing Kubina, Rozsival or Brett Clark for a season.

Grand Rapids is going to be without Smith, Janik and Exelby next season, so Lashoff is going to get a chance to be a leader and go-to-guy on the team. I'd like to see how he does in that role for a full season.

#25 Jedi

Jedi

Spell Forged - Unparalleled Quality

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 9,806 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 03:08 PM

...At least we have 6 D now, wonder who the 7th will be, or are we to expect a REAL top 4 defender and have Kindl be #7...

That's my sincere hope. But with it public that Kenny was pursuing Nash, he's probably pursuing Ryan too, as well as waiting on Doan, it seems that forwards are more of Holland's priority at the moment.

snyoep.jpg
"I am the sword in the darkness... I am the watcher on the walls...
I am the shield that guards the realms of men..."

#26 Motown4013

Motown4013

1st Line All-Star

• Silver Booster
  • 1,067 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 03:15 PM

Q is a better defenseman than he showed us last year. I think this is a good signing!
Raising another Red Wings Fan!

The future looks bright in Hockeytown!
GUSTAV SNIPEQUIST!

#27 Z Winged Dangler

Z Winged Dangler

Part 3: Return of the Hammer Hands

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,198 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 03:16 PM

Lashoff? I only watched a little of him, but wasn't terrible, pretty reliable defensively.

gotta figure that the Wings want Lashoff to get top mins in GR and get another NHL/AHL tweener like Janik or Exelby to fill the 7th dman role. develop the young guys and add in a guy that doesn't mind a reduced role.

"I play hockey, but I am not very good.  Can someone please tell me what it would take to sign with the Wings ? I can use a million or two."  ~ arag

Dan Cleary is an Xbox 360.  While good for a while, it's time for the new generation to take over.

#28 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,728 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 03:24 PM

As people here say when other teams sign free agents..........OVERPAID!!!!!!
According to my profile, my reputation is excellent. LOL.

#29 wingslogo19

wingslogo19

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,234 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 03:26 PM

Well he will get a full year with the Wings, lets see what he can do
IPB Image

#30 Drake_Marcus

Drake_Marcus

Pariah

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,336 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 03:40 PM

Good stuff. Holland re-signs an RFA and people mock it as his 'big splash'. If he let Q go the same people would lament the wasted draft pick we traded for him.

That's my sincere hope. But with it public that Kenny was pursuing Nash, he's probably pursuing Ryan too, as well as waiting on Doan, it seems that forwards are more of Holland's priority at the moment.

Indeed. Holland wants the entire NHL to know loud and clear that he's happy with his defense going into this season and won't overpay for that trade he's been searching for. That being said-- we all know he's kicking the tires on every possible 1st pairing d-man out there. Holland isn't a moron-- I'm sure he's well aware the defense needs a big gun right now and he'll get one if it makes sense for the long-term success of this team.

The Wings aren't one above average d-man and forward away from being Cup favourites. If we can't get some improvement from within this team is going to be painfully average.

Holland needs to either embrace the suck and get a respectable draft position or make a savvy trade.
Dedicated to lulz once lost:
Posted Image
Thanks TeeMan!

"We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas
of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage" --H.P. Lovecraft

#31 LeftWinger

LeftWinger

42 years in Detroit! Time to spend the rest in paradise!

• Silver Booster
  • 8,617 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 03:49 PM

Well with Q signed, and Howson apparently not even answering Kenny's call's, I would say if he makes the Ryan trade, signs Doan and Kubina, then the Wings will be doing very well for themselves come the trade deadline and playoffs...

Don't Be Jealous, But I Live Here...

www.thinkdunes.com

Aww You Mad Bro? Are You Butt Hurt?

#32 kipwinger

kipwinger

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,629 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 03:52 PM

Add this signing to the Gustavsson and Brunner signings and file away in the, "Moves that sense to Kipwinger" cabinet.

GMRwings:  "Well, in other civilized countries, 16 years old isn't considered underage.  For instance, I believe the age of consent is 16 in Canada.  There's some US states where it's 16 as well.  

Get off the high horse.  Not like she was 10."

"Some girls are 17 even though they look 25."

#33 newfy

newfy

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,114 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 04:04 PM

Solid signing. One more D is probably needed though still. Wouldnt mind Vandermeer I guess. He's cheap, plays decent defensively and is tough. WIth whats left on the free agent market youre not gonna get much worth while, might as well keep adding toughness to the lineup

RIP BOB PROBERT #24

#34 StormJH1

StormJH1

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 701 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 04:20 PM

They backed themselves into a corner on this one. This is the type of move nobody cares about when you're 16 million under the Cap, but if he were the last guy signed on a team just under the Cap, everybody hates the contract. But they obviously were going to resign him after moving a 1st on an RFA rental, plus they just don't have anybody else.

Look, I'm giving Quincey a chance, but literally, I've never heard anyone come up with a justification for his game that doesn't assume he learned something from being in the "Detroit system" when he came up. Except he wasn't that great the first time around. He's not an exceptionally good puck mover and he's big but doesn't hit. He's not a PP quarterback, and he certainly wasn't considered as defensively responsible as guys like Kronwall and Stuart, yet he basically has the cap hit of Franzen for 2 years. So...what IS he, exactly?

The brutal truth is that if this guy had started his career anywhere else and put up those numbers, Wings fans would think this was a terrible signing.

Edited by StormJH1, 18 July 2012 - 04:21 PM.

#35 pondrocket

pondrocket

Rookie

• Pip
  • 195 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 04:21 PM

Actually plenty of people were upset when the deal happened.

Welcome to shmoville Detroit. It was an INCREDIBLE run! I absolutely enjoyed it!! Thank you Mr. I! I see Calgary as the new rivalry for the Wings.

#36 Salviaman

Salviaman

Tool + Red Wings = Bliss

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,288 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 04:32 PM

Glad that we can put this behind us and focus on Abdelkader!
Think for yourself. Question authority. Throughout human history as our species has faced the frightening, terrorizing fact that we do not know who we are or where we are going in this ocean of chance, it has been the authorities, the political, the religious, the educational authorities who attempted to comfort us by giving us order, rules, regulations, informing, forming in our minds their view of reality. To think for yourself you must question authority and learn how to put yourself in a state of vulnerable, open mindedness, chaotic, confused vulnerability to inform yourself.

#37 brett

brett

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,974 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 04:36 PM

he got his raise. hopefully he has a bounce back season

#38 GoWings1905

GoWings1905

Legend

• Gold Booster
  • 5,244 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 04:37 PM

Ehh I feel about the same today as I did when the Red Wings got Quincey back. I don't hate it, but I'm certainly not in love with the move either. The cap hit isn't all that bad at least, which is one positive to the situation. With the lack of bodies/proven talent on defense it was almost a foregone conclusion the Red Wings needed to re-sign Quincey for the upcoming season.

Maybe a full year in Detroit will elevate Quincey's play. I didn't see anything since the trade happened to feel confident about that though. Stuart had some flaws, but he was also extremely reliable and chewed up the most minutes on the PK. Quincey has more offensive upside than Stuart, however, I don't think Quincey will be anywhere near as solid in his own end or on the penalty kill. He also really needs to cut down on the stupid penalties.

"To whom much is given, much is expected."

#39 arag

arag

1st Line Sniper

• HoF Booster
  • 771 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 05:18 PM

Good. Q will be better nex season.

#40 Dabura

Dabura

Everydayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,060 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 06:45 PM

Blah...a little more than I would have liked, but whatever...if he becomes one of our top 4, I guess the $250,000 overpayment will be alright...At least we have 6 D now, wonder who the 7th will be, or are we to expect a REAL top 4 defender and have Kindl be #7...

Dan Girardi.

Don't Toews me, bro!