• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
haroldsnepsts

Red Wings re-sign Quincey: 2-years, $7.55m total, $3.775/yr

Rate this topic

Man Stuart was soo bad for 2 years why do people have such a boner for him... Quincey will be a better defenseman this year and people will still think about Stuart as the better option.. Quincey is gonna get hated on here no matter how he plays it seems

What is that based on? Quincey being better is just your opinion as he certainly wasn't very impressive since coming back to the Red Wings. He isn't getting hated on just for the hell of it -- the Red Wings gave up a first rounder for him and he looked a lot like the player the team let go for nothing.

I mentioned in my previous post, but Quincey really only presents more offensive upside than Stuart. Quincey is not as good defensively, nor on the penalty kill for certain and he has a knack for taking bad penalties. Although I think Stuart has gotten less physical over the years, that was still an element of his game too.

Quincey has a chance to prove himself certainly, but I don't think he really instilled a whole lot of confidence going forward from his play last season.

Edited by GoWings1905

I like this. People may say "Well, it was basically Quincy vs Meech and they chose Meech." Meech has gone on to Winnipeg and has 0 points and a +/- of 1 in 2 games played. I'd say reaquiring Quincey was a very good move. He wouldn't have been in Detroit's system (Detroit and Grand Rapids) for 9 years if he was a plug.

They backed themselves into a corner on this one. This is the type of move nobody cares about when you're 16 million under the Cap, but if he were the last guy signed on a team just under the Cap, everybody hates the contract. But they obviously were going to resign him after moving a 1st on an RFA rental, plus they just don't have anybody else.

Look, I'm giving Quincey a chance, but literally, I've never heard anyone come up with a justification for his game that doesn't assume he learned something from being in the "Detroit system" when he came up. Except he wasn't that great the first time around. He's not an exceptionally good puck mover and he's big but doesn't hit. He's not a PP quarterback, and he certainly wasn't considered as defensively responsible as guys like Kronwall and Stuart, yet he basically has the cap hit of Franzen for 2 years. So...what IS he, exactly?

The brutal truth is that if this guy had started his career anywhere else and put up those numbers, Wings fans would think this was a terrible signing.

To be fair, it was not too long ago people complained about Kronwall's defensive game either. I think having Lidstrom around for so many years has seriously spoiled Red Wings fans because he barely ever made a mistake, but defensemen much like forwards make mistakes now and then, and it is usually not a big deal. I'm happy to have Quincey back, it should be interesting to see what he can do with more ice time.

Man Stuart was soo bad for 2 years why do people have such a boner for him... Quincey will be a better defenseman this year and people will still think about Stuart as the better option.. Quincey is gonna get hated on here no matter how he plays it seems

I think you are right. Until players reach a certain status, like contribute to a Cup win, nothing will be good enough and even the slightest mistake will be scrutinized. This changes once a player has proven himself on a Cup winning team. The player might still be criticized, but to a lesser degree, and he will always be a better option than the "newbee".

We were apparently one of 4 "big players" in a trade scenario for Weber. That was until Paul went full Holmgren and killed that possibility.

Holland is doing what he can. We were so close on Suter too. Quincey may not be "the guy", but without him our D would look even more hollow. Quincey also has some potential to be quite solid. Remember this is the guy that EVERYONE was calling Holland's worst move as a GM, letting him go.

Reasonable contract, only 2 years. Good.

That's my sincere hope. But with it public that Kenny was pursuing Nash, he's probably pursuing Ryan too, as well as waiting on Doan, it seems that forwards are more of Holland's priority at the moment.

Yeah this is the sense that I get too. I have no idea why he is trying to make such a large splash up front when we have more pressing needs in back. I thought it was Kenny (Scotty?) who said many years ago that Championship teams are built from the Defense forward. I cannot sincerely believe that we feel comfortable enough with our D corps to warrant a big name forward. Baffled...

Why does one have to be better or worse than the other in everyone's minds? If you asked me who was the better shut down defenseman, it would clearly be Stuart. He was utterly reliable in all of our playoff appearances. His defensive play was solid, and for as many times as people say he was bad no one has provided consistent analysis or video of his failures. Biggest question here would be... Lilja or Stuart - both had similiar roles.

Quincey has much more offensive upside and a little snarl in his game which has been sorely missed. He did not play out of this world when we re-obtained (is that even a word?) him, but no one on the team did. He seems like a serviceable enough #3 or 4 Defensman - and it looks like thats where Babs will have him slotted: right behind Kronwall and White.

We were apparently one of 4 "big players" in a trade scenario for Weber. That was until Paul went full Holmgren and killed that possibility.

Holland is doing what he can. We were so close on Suter too. Quincey may not be "the guy", but without him our D would look even more hollow. Quincey also has some potential to be quite solid. Remember this is the guy that EVERYONE was calling Holland's worst move as a GM, letting him go.

Reasonable contract, only 2 years. Good.

I really hope he bounces back and has a really solid season. Paired with Ericsson could be good as big E is getting a lot better defensively and could be a nice big man pairing that could be hard to play against and both guys have pretty hard clappers.

agreed, I thought Stuart was terrible all last season and am glad to see him go. (I do appreciate that he was a huge impact in our cup run and the following year)