Photo
* - - - - 4 votes

We can still win it all THIS season, but...

• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

#1 blueadams

blueadams

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,012 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 04:28 PM

We can still win it all THIS season, but Holland needs to get off his ass RIGHT NOW.

Step 1: Sign Semin to a one year deal. He wants two years. No one else in the league is willing to give him two years thus far. We've got more cap space to offer than anyone. Blow him away with a one year offer that no one else can compete with. Six million should do it. What do we have to lose? We lose nothing against the cap next season (i.e. we get a second shot at hitting it big on the free agent market). The alternative is just letting that available cap space rot away next season (which would certainly piss me right off if I was on the team). He's going to be super motivated on a one year contract, trying to secure his future. He'd be phenomenal with Pav on the first line. He's a better goal-scorer than even Parise. He's an outstanding right-handed shot on the power play. It makes nothing but sense.

Step 2: Sign Doan to a one year deal. Now that we've got Semin in place, we can sell Doan on his addition making us the deepest offensive team in hockey (look at the lines below if you question that). We can sell him on a one last chance to win it all...and being able to return to PHO next season once the ownership situation is resolved next season. Oh yeah, and we have more cap space available than any of the other suitors and can blow him away with the biggest offer (I'm thinking about six mil again here). And again, like Semin, it's a one year deal. It doesn't affect our future. It gives us another shot at hitting it big on the free agent market next season. That cap space is just going to be wasted - pissing off the current players and staff - otherwise. Makes nothing but sense.

Step 3: Trade for a defenseman (or sign a good RFA?). Might happen now. Might happen at the deadline. Might be a long-term piece. Might be a short-term piece. I don't care. Jakub Kindl is not an NHL-caliber defenseman. We NEED to bring in one more solid defenseman. I don't care what kind of defenseman he is. But we'll have about 3 mil in cap space once we put the extra forwards on waivers en route to Grand Rapids (hopefully). Trade a league-wide well-regarded prospect that we're not high on. Trade a draft pick. Trade one of those depth forwards, if desired.

...For how bad Holland F-d up this off-season, this (below) is one hell of a team; it'd have a real shot to win it all; and it wouldn't affect our cap next off-season. I don't get why this doesn't make sense. If someone can tell me why it doesn't, I'd love to hear it.

CAPGEEK.COM USER GENERATED ROSTER
My Custom Lineup

FORWARDS
Valtteri Filppula ($3.000m) / Pavel Datsyuk ($6.700m) / Alexander Semin ($6.000m)
Johan Franzen ($3.955m) / Henrik Zetterberg ($6.083m) / Shane Doan ($6.000m)
Gustav Nyquist ($0.875m) / Darren Helm ($2.125m) / Damien Brunner ($1.350m)
Todd Bertuzzi ($2.075m) / Justin Abdelkader ($0.866m) / Mikael Samuelsson ($3.000m)
Jordin Tootoo ($1.900m) / Danny Cleary ($2.800m) /
DEFENSEMEN
Niklas Kronwall ($4.750m) / Ian White ($2.875m)
Brendan Smith ($0.875m) / Jonathan Ericsson ($3.250m)
Kyle Quincey ($3.775m) / Trade ? ($3.000m)
Jakub Kindl ($0.883m) /
GOALTENDERS
Jimmy Howard ($2.250m)
Jonas Gustavsson ($1.500m)
------
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(these totals are compiled without the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $70,200,000; CAP PAYROLL: $69,887,462; BONUSES: $462,500
CAP SPACE (23-man roster): $312,538

#2 RedWingsRox

RedWingsRox

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,108 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 04:31 PM

That's a HUGE but or if ... I know that Holland is working and trying but a lot of teams don't want to dance with us.

However, if we can sign Doan and Semin, I would feel pretty optimistic but as it stands right now ... uh no.

Edited by RedWingsRox, 18 July 2012 - 04:31 PM.

#3 wingsfan4795

wingsfan4795

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,651 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 04:34 PM

Nyquist helm and brunner would be the fastest line ever

Edited by wingsfan4795, 18 July 2012 - 04:34 PM.

Good rule of thumb is always take an octopus everywhere. Better to have one and not need it than find yourself thinking, "Damn, I wish I had that octopus".

-Buppy

#4 dirtydangles

dirtydangles

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,696 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 04:35 PM

We wont get doan for 6 mill one year if he already was offered a longer term at 7.5. Furthermore, i like semin 1 year but will cost more than 6 likely due to less term. Its not useful to show fwd lines when u assume some players will be traded for a dman. Sammy is not a 4th liner. Bottom line is who knows what holland will do. There is no right way to "fix" the team. And no moves guarantee a cup.

Is there a kickstarter campaign for Jakub Kindl to never play another NHL game?

#5 Travis

Travis

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,460 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 04:37 PM

Oh. Another one of these.

I'll say this, I love the potential in a Nyquist / Helm / Brunner line. I expect big things out of the Goose.

cc_champs-5_zps34057ff0.png

#6 stillwater

stillwater

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 829 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 04:45 PM

Another line thread?

I'll pass.

#7 blueadams

blueadams

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,012 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 04:53 PM

We wont get doan for 6 mill one year if he already was offered a longer term at 7.5. Furthermore, i like semin 1 year but will cost more than 6 likely due to less term. Its not useful to show fwd lines when u assume some players will be traded for a dman. Sammy is not a 4th liner. Bottom line is who knows what holland will do. There is no right way to "fix" the team. And no moves guarantee a cup.

1) Who offered Doan a multi-year 7.5 mil contract!?

2) I heard that Semin is looking for 2 years, 10 mil. We can offer six or seven and that should be enough.

3) All I assumed was that the extra forwards - Miller, Eaves, Emmerton and Mursak - would be sent to GR through waivers.

4) Sammy is a 4th liner on that team if he's not better than Nyquist or Brunner. Either way, that's a deep deep group of forwards.

Edited by blueadams, 18 July 2012 - 04:56 PM.

#8 LeftWinger

LeftWinger

42 years in Detroit! Time to spend the rest in paradise!

• Silver Booster
  • 8,608 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 06:06 PM

Trade.for Ryan, sign Doan, sign Kubina....set.

Don't Be Jealous, But I Live Here...

www.thinkdunes.com

Aww You Mad Bro? Are You Butt Hurt?

#9 St. Michael (the Red Wing)

St. Michael (the Red Wing)

Heavenly With the Puck

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,822 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 06:10 PM

Bugs me bad when people make lines with players like Doan in the lineup when there's 0 cred there. Why bother making lines until training camp when we have more of a realistic impression on what the lines WILL be not NHL 2013 fantasy draft lines or whatever.

#10 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,709 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 06:23 PM

Nice 4th line. Two lazy forwards who won't forecheck.

And we'd be paying Samuelsson 3 million to play 4th line duty. May as well put a tough guy in there.
According to my profile, my reputation is excellent. LOL.

#11 WingsAlways

WingsAlways

Grind Line 2.0

• PipPip
  • 328 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 08:41 PM

Trade.for Ryan, sign Doan, sign Kubina....set.

Feared.

"Wow Chicago, you've won four Stanley Cups? Me too! - Kris Draper"

#12 archimet

archimet

Prospect

• 34 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 08:47 PM

It's funny how everyone on this board whines about getting younger... But when there's an opportunity of inserting Brunner and/or Nyquist into the top-6, everyone screams that Holland's an idiot and should sign Semin and Doan. Doan wants term... four years... He wants this to be his last contract. That means one less spot for the likes of Brunner, Nyquist, Tatar, Pulkkinen, Jarnkrok, Jurco... And a couple more years of whining about how the wings have to get younger. The same goes for Semin... If we sign him and he works out, and the wings sign him long-term next year, that means zero top-6 openings for a number of years... Unless of course you see Datsyuk, Doan and Franzen as the third line in 3 years.

Edited by archimet, 18 July 2012 - 08:49 PM.

#13 Z Winged Dangler

Z Winged Dangler

Part 3: Return of the Hammer Hands

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,195 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 08:50 PM

Who is Trade ? Is he good. $3mil seems steep for a guy named Trade :cheesy:

"I play hockey, but I am not very good.  Can someone please tell me what it would take to sign with the Wings ? I can use a million or two."  ~ arag

Dan Cleary is an Xbox 360.  While good for a while, it's time for the new generation to take over.

#14 F.Michael

F.Michael

Old School Dynamic Duo

• HoF Booster
  • 7,522 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 08:56 PM

Nice 4th line. Two lazy forwards who won't forecheck.

And we'd be paying Samuelsson 3 million to play 4th line duty. May as well put a tough guy in there.

I also have my doubts of Brunner finding a spot on the 3rd line - let alone on the Red Wings roster.

Many here tend to forget that the Swiss Elite league is a step - maybe 2 steps below the AHL.

'Evolution' created by Offsides

#15 DMAC 25

DMAC 25

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 507 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 09:32 PM

We can still win it all THIS season, but Holland needs to get off his ass RIGHT NOW.

Step 1: Sign Semin to a one year deal. He wants two years. No one else in the league is willing to give him two years thus far. We've got more cap space to offer than anyone. Blow him away with a one year offer that no one else can compete with. Six million should do it. What do we have to lose? We lose nothing against the cap next season (i.e. we get a second shot at hitting it big on the free agent market). The alternative is just letting that available cap space rot away next season (which would certainly piss me right off if I was on the team). He's going to be super motivated on a one year contract, trying to secure his future. He'd be phenomenal with Pav on the first line. He's a better goal-scorer than even Parise. He's an outstanding right-handed shot on the power play. It makes nothing but sense.

Step 2: Sign Doan to a one year deal. Now that we've got Semin in place, we can sell Doan on his addition making us the deepest offensive team in hockey (look at the lines below if you question that). We can sell him on a one last chance to win it all...and being able to return to PHO next season once the ownership situation is resolved next season. Oh yeah, and we have more cap space available than any of the other suitors and can blow him away with the biggest offer (I'm thinking about six mil again here). And again, like Semin, it's a one year deal. It doesn't affect our future. It gives us another shot at hitting it big on the free agent market next season. That cap space is just going to be wasted - pissing off the current players and staff - otherwise. Makes nothing but sense.

Step 3: Trade for a defenseman (or sign a good RFA?). Might happen now. Might happen at the deadline. Might be a long-term piece. Might be a short-term piece. I don't care. Jakub Kindl is not an NHL-caliber defenseman. We NEED to bring in one more solid defenseman. I don't care what kind of defenseman he is. But we'll have about 3 mil in cap space once we put the extra forwards on waivers en route to Grand Rapids (hopefully). Trade a league-wide well-regarded prospect that we're not high on. Trade a draft pick. Trade one of those depth forwards, if desired.

...For how bad Holland F-d up this off-season, this (below) is one hell of a team; it'd have a real shot to win it all; and it wouldn't affect our cap next off-season. I don't get why this doesn't make sense. If someone can tell me why it doesn't, I'd love to hear it.

CAPGEEK.COM USER GENERATED ROSTER
My Custom Lineup

FORWARDS
Valtteri Filppula ($3.000m) / Pavel Datsyuk ($6.700m) / Alexander Semin ($6.000m)
Johan Franzen ($3.955m) / Henrik Zetterberg ($6.083m) / Shane Doan ($6.000m)
Gustav Nyquist ($0.875m) / Darren Helm ($2.125m) / Damien Brunner ($1.350m)
Todd Bertuzzi ($2.075m) / Justin Abdelkader ($0.866m) / Mikael Samuelsson ($3.000m)
Jordin Tootoo ($1.900m) / Danny Cleary ($2.800m) /
DEFENSEMEN
Niklas Kronwall ($4.750m) / Ian White ($2.875m)
Brendan Smith ($0.875m) / Jonathan Ericsson ($3.250m)
Kyle Quincey ($3.775m) / Trade ? ($3.000m)
Jakub Kindl ($0.883m) /
GOALTENDERS
Jimmy Howard ($2.250m)
Jonas Gustavsson ($1.500m)
------
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(these totals are compiled without the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $70,200,000; CAP PAYROLL: $69,887,462; BONUSES: $462,500
CAP SPACE (23-man roster): $312,538

u really think that holland is just sitting on his ass doing nothing right now? have faith in him and let the man do his job, hes not going to be able to please everyone and they will have the best team that they can get on the ice

#16 ShanahanMan

ShanahanMan

DUUUUUUUUH

• Silver Booster
  • 5,651 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 09:33 PM

It's funny how everyone on this board whines about getting younger... But when there's an opportunity of inserting Brunner and/or Nyquist into the top-6, everyone screams that Holland's an idiot and should sign Semin and Doan. Doan wants term... four years... He wants this to be his last contract. That means one less spot for the likes of Brunner, Nyquist, Tatar, Pulkkinen, Jarnkrok, Jurco... And a couple more years of whining about how the wings have to get younger. The same goes for Semin... If we sign him and he works out, and the wings sign him long-term next year, that means zero top-6 openings for a number of years... Unless of course you see Datsyuk, Doan and Franzen as the third line in 3 years.

Uh, no. You're leaving out a critical point from that statement. We're actually whining about getting younger with proven talent. Brunner and Nyquist are not, as of now, proven NHL top-6 forwards and until then, yes, we will continue to whine about getting younger with proven NHL caliber players.

Edited by ShanahanMan, 18 July 2012 - 09:46 PM.

I HATE JASON WILLIAMS

#17 Jedi

Jedi

Spell Forged - Unparalleled Quality

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 9,806 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 10:16 PM

Huh. Didn't know that the holdup with signing Doan was Holland sitting on his ass. I coulda sworn that all the reports were saying that Doan was still waiting on the ownership situation in Phoenix and that there was no timetable for a decision and that Semin wasn't going to sign until Doan signed and that both Semin and Doan were looking for more than 1 year contracts.

Silly me. Thinking all those reports that practically everyone was talking about might have even a shred of truth to them.

Get on it, Kenny!

snyoep.jpg
"I am the sword in the darkness... I am the watcher on the walls...
I am the shield that guards the realms of men..."

#18 uk_redwing

uk_redwing

#25 Jamie Tardif

• Gold Booster
  • 3,848 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 06:19 AM

We can still win it all THIS season, but...

...needs more lines.

Posted Image
Turtling is for the weak
Grand Rapids Griffins Fights

#19 Dave

Dave

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,177 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 06:48 AM

Uh, no. You're leaving out a critical point from that statement. We're actually whining about getting younger with proven talent. Brunner and Nyquist are not, as of now, proven NHL top-6 forwards and until then, yes, we will continue to whine about getting younger with proven NHL caliber players.

Good luck with that. Any team with a proven young talent is not going to let them go. There were, what, 3 good young FAs this year? People make it sound like the NHL is saturated with 19-25 year old studs and Holland refuses to acquire any of them.

#20 ShanahanMan

ShanahanMan

DUUUUUUUUH

• Silver Booster
  • 5,651 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 07:10 AM

Good luck with that. Any team with a proven young talent is not going to let them go. There were, what, 3 good young FAs this year? People make it sound like the NHL is saturated with 19-25 year old studs and Holland refuses to acquire any of them.

Oh, please. So by that logic, we should let these GM's off the hook if they can't get good, young guys because it's "hard". I'm sorry, but as a GM who's paid 6 million dollars a year, your JOB is to find a way to get-it-done.

Edited by ShanahanMan, 19 July 2012 - 07:11 AM.

I HATE JASON WILLIAMS