• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest blueadams

We can still win it all THIS season, but...

Rate this topic

Guest blueadams

We can still win it all THIS season, but Holland needs to get off his ass RIGHT NOW.

Step 1: Sign Semin to a one year deal. He wants two years. No one else in the league is willing to give him two years thus far. We've got more cap space to offer than anyone. Blow him away with a one year offer that no one else can compete with. Six million should do it. What do we have to lose? We lose nothing against the cap next season (i.e. we get a second shot at hitting it big on the free agent market). The alternative is just letting that available cap space rot away next season (which would certainly piss me right off if I was on the team). He's going to be super motivated on a one year contract, trying to secure his future. He'd be phenomenal with Pav on the first line. He's a better goal-scorer than even Parise. He's an outstanding right-handed shot on the power play. It makes nothing but sense.

Step 2: Sign Doan to a one year deal. Now that we've got Semin in place, we can sell Doan on his addition making us the deepest offensive team in hockey (look at the lines below if you question that). We can sell him on a one last chance to win it all...and being able to return to PHO next season once the ownership situation is resolved next season. Oh yeah, and we have more cap space available than any of the other suitors and can blow him away with the biggest offer (I'm thinking about six mil again here). And again, like Semin, it's a one year deal. It doesn't affect our future. It gives us another shot at hitting it big on the free agent market next season. That cap space is just going to be wasted - pissing off the current players and staff - otherwise. Makes nothing but sense.

Step 3: Trade for a defenseman (or sign a good RFA?). Might happen now. Might happen at the deadline. Might be a long-term piece. Might be a short-term piece. I don't care. Jakub Kindl is not an NHL-caliber defenseman. We NEED to bring in one more solid defenseman. I don't care what kind of defenseman he is. But we'll have about 3 mil in cap space once we put the extra forwards on waivers en route to Grand Rapids (hopefully). Trade a league-wide well-regarded prospect that we're not high on. Trade a draft pick. Trade one of those depth forwards, if desired.

...For how bad Holland F-d up this off-season, this (below) is one hell of a team; it'd have a real shot to win it all; and it wouldn't affect our cap next off-season. I don't get why this doesn't make sense. If someone can tell me why it doesn't, I'd love to hear it.

CAPGEEK.COM USER GENERATED ROSTER

My Custom Lineup

FORWARDS

Valtteri Filppula ($3.000m) / Pavel Datsyuk ($6.700m) / Alexander Semin ($6.000m)

Johan Franzen ($3.955m) / Henrik Zetterberg ($6.083m) / Shane Doan ($6.000m)

Gustav Nyquist ($0.875m) / Darren Helm ($2.125m) / Damien Brunner ($1.350m)

Todd Bertuzzi ($2.075m) / Justin Abdelkader ($0.866m) / Mikael Samuelsson ($3.000m)

Jordin Tootoo ($1.900m) / Danny Cleary ($2.800m) /

DEFENSEMEN

Niklas Kronwall ($4.750m) / Ian White ($2.875m)

Brendan Smith ($0.875m) / Jonathan Ericsson ($3.250m)

Kyle Quincey ($3.775m) / Trade ? ($3.000m)

Jakub Kindl ($0.883m) /

GOALTENDERS

Jimmy Howard ($2.250m)

Jonas Gustavsson ($1.500m)

------

CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)

(these totals are compiled without the bonus cushion)

SALARY CAP: $70,200,000; CAP PAYROLL: $69,887,462; BONUSES: $462,500

CAP SPACE (23-man roster): $312,538

That's a HUGE but or if ... I know that Holland is working and trying but a lot of teams don't want to dance with us.

However, if we can sign Doan and Semin, I would feel pretty optimistic but as it stands right now ... uh no.

Edited by RedWingsRox

We wont get doan for 6 mill one year if he already was offered a longer term at 7.5. Furthermore, i like semin 1 year but will cost more than 6 likely due to less term. Its not useful to show fwd lines when u assume some players will be traded for a dman. Sammy is not a 4th liner. Bottom line is who knows what holland will do. There is no right way to "fix" the team. And no moves guarantee a cup.

Guest blueadams

We wont get doan for 6 mill one year if he already was offered a longer term at 7.5. Furthermore, i like semin 1 year but will cost more than 6 likely due to less term. Its not useful to show fwd lines when u assume some players will be traded for a dman. Sammy is not a 4th liner. Bottom line is who knows what holland will do. There is no right way to "fix" the team. And no moves guarantee a cup.

1) Who offered Doan a multi-year 7.5 mil contract!?

2) I heard that Semin is looking for 2 years, 10 mil. We can offer six or seven and that should be enough.

3) All I assumed was that the extra forwards - Miller, Eaves, Emmerton and Mursak - would be sent to GR through waivers.

4) Sammy is a 4th liner on that team if he's not better than Nyquist or Brunner. Either way, that's a deep deep group of forwards.

Edited by blueadams

Bugs me bad when people make lines with players like Doan in the lineup when there's 0 cred there. Why bother making lines until training camp when we have more of a realistic impression on what the lines WILL be not NHL 2013 fantasy draft lines or whatever.

It's funny how everyone on this board whines about getting younger... But when there's an opportunity of inserting Brunner and/or Nyquist into the top-6, everyone screams that Holland's an idiot and should sign Semin and Doan. Doan wants term... four years... He wants this to be his last contract. That means one less spot for the likes of Brunner, Nyquist, Tatar, Pulkkinen, Jarnkrok, Jurco... And a couple more years of whining about how the wings have to get younger. The same goes for Semin... If we sign him and he works out, and the wings sign him long-term next year, that means zero top-6 openings for a number of years... Unless of course you see Datsyuk, Doan and Franzen as the third line in 3 years.

Edited by archimet

We can still win it all THIS season, but Holland needs to get off his ass RIGHT NOW.

Step 1: Sign Semin to a one year deal. He wants two years. No one else in the league is willing to give him two years thus far. We've got more cap space to offer than anyone. Blow him away with a one year offer that no one else can compete with. Six million should do it. What do we have to lose? We lose nothing against the cap next season (i.e. we get a second shot at hitting it big on the free agent market). The alternative is just letting that available cap space rot away next season (which would certainly piss me right off if I was on the team). He's going to be super motivated on a one year contract, trying to secure his future. He'd be phenomenal with Pav on the first line. He's a better goal-scorer than even Parise. He's an outstanding right-handed shot on the power play. It makes nothing but sense.

Step 2: Sign Doan to a one year deal. Now that we've got Semin in place, we can sell Doan on his addition making us the deepest offensive team in hockey (look at the lines below if you question that). We can sell him on a one last chance to win it all...and being able to return to PHO next season once the ownership situation is resolved next season. Oh yeah, and we have more cap space available than any of the other suitors and can blow him away with the biggest offer (I'm thinking about six mil again here). And again, like Semin, it's a one year deal. It doesn't affect our future. It gives us another shot at hitting it big on the free agent market next season. That cap space is just going to be wasted - pissing off the current players and staff - otherwise. Makes nothing but sense.

Step 3: Trade for a defenseman (or sign a good RFA?). Might happen now. Might happen at the deadline. Might be a long-term piece. Might be a short-term piece. I don't care. Jakub Kindl is not an NHL-caliber defenseman. We NEED to bring in one more solid defenseman. I don't care what kind of defenseman he is. But we'll have about 3 mil in cap space once we put the extra forwards on waivers en route to Grand Rapids (hopefully). Trade a league-wide well-regarded prospect that we're not high on. Trade a draft pick. Trade one of those depth forwards, if desired.

...For how bad Holland F-d up this off-season, this (below) is one hell of a team; it'd have a real shot to win it all; and it wouldn't affect our cap next off-season. I don't get why this doesn't make sense. If someone can tell me why it doesn't, I'd love to hear it.

CAPGEEK.COM USER GENERATED ROSTER

My Custom Lineup

FORWARDS

Valtteri Filppula ($3.000m) / Pavel Datsyuk ($6.700m) / Alexander Semin ($6.000m)

Johan Franzen ($3.955m) / Henrik Zetterberg ($6.083m) / Shane Doan ($6.000m)

Gustav Nyquist ($0.875m) / Darren Helm ($2.125m) / Damien Brunner ($1.350m)

Todd Bertuzzi ($2.075m) / Justin Abdelkader ($0.866m) / Mikael Samuelsson ($3.000m)

Jordin Tootoo ($1.900m) / Danny Cleary ($2.800m) /

DEFENSEMEN

Niklas Kronwall ($4.750m) / Ian White ($2.875m)

Brendan Smith ($0.875m) / Jonathan Ericsson ($3.250m)

Kyle Quincey ($3.775m) / Trade ? ($3.000m)

Jakub Kindl ($0.883m) /

GOALTENDERS

Jimmy Howard ($2.250m)

Jonas Gustavsson ($1.500m)

------

CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)

(these totals are compiled without the bonus cushion)

SALARY CAP: $70,200,000; CAP PAYROLL: $69,887,462; BONUSES: $462,500

CAP SPACE (23-man roster): $312,538

u really think that holland is just sitting on his ass doing nothing right now? have faith in him and let the man do his job, hes not going to be able to please everyone and they will have the best team that they can get on the ice

It's funny how everyone on this board whines about getting younger... But when there's an opportunity of inserting Brunner and/or Nyquist into the top-6, everyone screams that Holland's an idiot and should sign Semin and Doan. Doan wants term... four years... He wants this to be his last contract. That means one less spot for the likes of Brunner, Nyquist, Tatar, Pulkkinen, Jarnkrok, Jurco... And a couple more years of whining about how the wings have to get younger. The same goes for Semin... If we sign him and he works out, and the wings sign him long-term next year, that means zero top-6 openings for a number of years... Unless of course you see Datsyuk, Doan and Franzen as the third line in 3 years.

Uh, no. You're leaving out a critical point from that statement. We're actually whining about getting younger with proven talent. Brunner and Nyquist are not, as of now, proven NHL top-6 forwards and until then, yes, we will continue to whine about getting younger with proven NHL caliber players.

Edited by ShanahanMan

Huh. Didn't know that the holdup with signing Doan was Holland sitting on his ass. I coulda sworn that all the reports were saying that Doan was still waiting on the ownership situation in Phoenix and that there was no timetable for a decision and that Semin wasn't going to sign until Doan signed and that both Semin and Doan were looking for more than 1 year contracts.

Silly me. Thinking all those reports that practically everyone was talking about might have even a shred of truth to them.

Get on it, Kenny!

Uh, no. You're leaving out a critical point from that statement. We're actually whining about getting younger with proven talent. Brunner and Nyquist are not, as of now, proven NHL top-6 forwards and until then, yes, we will continue to whine about getting younger with proven NHL caliber players.

Good luck with that. Any team with a proven young talent is not going to let them go. There were, what, 3 good young FAs this year? People make it sound like the NHL is saturated with 19-25 year old studs and Holland refuses to acquire any of them.

Good luck with that. Any team with a proven young talent is not going to let them go. There were, what, 3 good young FAs this year? People make it sound like the NHL is saturated with 19-25 year old studs and Holland refuses to acquire any of them.

Oh, please. So by that logic, we should let these GM's off the hook if they can't get good, young guys because it's "hard". I'm sorry, but as a GM who's paid 6 million dollars a year, your JOB is to find a way to get-it-done.

Edited by ShanahanMan

Yea, let the kids play. Looking at the roster we have more than enough forwards, and more on the way. Semin and Doan will just take up space.

All we need is another defenceman, that is all.

Oh, please. So by that logic, we should let these GM's off the hook if they can't get good, young guys because it's "hard". I'm sorry, but as a GM who's paid 6 million dollars a year, your JOB is to find a way to get-it-done.

Haha, so a GM that can't get good proven young talent from other clubs for our scraps is a bad GM? Let me give you a hint here....no GM can work that magic, especially in the new NHL. I don't care if you pay your GM 6 million or 60 million a year. No GM is going to perform the NHL version of the Louisiana Purchase. :D

Yea, let the kids play. Looking at the roster we have more than enough forwards, and more on the way. Semin and Doan will just take up space.

All we need is another defenceman, that is all.

This!

Haha, so a GM that can't get good proven young talent from other clubs for our scraps is a bad GM? Let me give you a hint here....no GM can work that magic, especially in the new NHL. I don't care if you pay your GM 6 million or 60 million a year. No GM is going to perform the NHL version of the Louisiana Purchase. :D

That is one ridiculous amount of wampum. ;) I got a chuckle out of that. Plus, with Detroit being the "gold standard" the last 15-20 years, I would guess that most, if not all, of the others GM's are hoping to see the Wings take a fall in the near future and want at least a bit more from them in trade than another team to try to precipitate that fall, rather than help them.

Edited by TheXym

Seriously, how is this suppose to happen when pending FAs are almost always signing extensions with their teams? Should we have offer sheeted 150million to Weber? Should we have thrown the bank at Suter for 120 million? That's how basketball teams are built but it doesn't work so well in the NHL. You can't have 3 great players and a bunch of AHLers.

At the end of the day, regardless of what your excuse is..... if the decisions you make/don't make as a GM are gradually leading your team to become weaker and weaker, than you're simply not doing a good job as GM. Simple.