• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest Crymson

Flyers sign Weber to offer sheet: 14y/$110m ($56m 1st 4yrs)

Rate this topic

...And if Nashville doesn't match, the Pred's top defense pairing is... Someguy and Someotherguy.

And we whine about Holland. Imagine how we'd howl about Poile if we were Preds fans.

*Just for the record- had to look it up- if the Preds don't match/sign Weber, their D consists of Gill, Blum, Ellis, Josi, and Klein.

Reality check! Could be worse lol.

As someone pointed out already, Weber should have waited to become an UFA instead of signing this offer sheet. I can only assume he would get more money as a free agent and with the length of this offer sheet he'll be playing for less than he's worth for the majority of his career.

For everyone worried that the Wings now never have a shot at Weber: How many players have stayed in Philly over the last 5 years, let alone 14?

No, it was wise for Weber to act this summer. The shot the owners put across the players' bow over the last week was message enough that there will be major changes to contract term. Weber has a guaranteed contract for 14-years and over $100-million. The way the talk is he'd be lucky to get half that if he waits until next summer -- even less if there is a 5- or 6-year cap on contracts. He needed to get in before the lockdown on contract length, and he did. Good for him, it just sucks the Red Wings weren't in on it. He's a franchise defenseman and there aren't many out there, far fewer that ever become available.

I agree, Weber is dumb for not agreeing to a one year deal unless he wants to be stuck in Nashville for life. Detroit should have just offered him ten Million for one year, why not?

what I was really hoping would happen was another team signed him to a silly one year deal and he wouldnt resign, and then would sign with the wings. f*** giving away picks....

our picks will be high in the draft very soon, unless a new development occurs.

My guess is that Weber agent solicited offer sheets to force Nashville's hand. After seeing the owner's proposal in the CBA they know that it's in their best interest to get a long-term deal BEFORE the new CBA. This way Weber gets his $100 million security before that option is taken off the table.

Besides.... It seems clear Weber wants out of Nashville, if what Dreger's sources told him was true. Either Poile wasn't offering good enough contract numbers or he just wanted to play elsewhere -- that's the only way to explain why Poile was in trade talks with the Wings, Flyers, Rangers, and Sharks. He's gonzo. I see massive issues if Weber's offer sheet is matched by Nashville and he just wants out of there.

Only way around that is that Holmgren is simply a pawn that got played in this game and Weber used the Flyers as a means to force Poile's hand to get a contract he wanted out of Nashville. But you'd think Holmgren would be smarter than that, right?

...And if Nashville doesn't match, the Pred's top defense pairing is... Someguy and Someotherguy.

And we whine about Holland. Imagine how we'd howl about Poile if we were Preds fans.

*Just for the record- had to look it up- if the Preds don't match/sign Weber, their D consists of Gill, Blum, Ellis, Josi, and Klein.

Ellis and Josi are solid young D-Men, Klein is a good Top 4 Penalty Killer as is Gill. other than their top pair problem (Which ours is just as bad) they have a pretty solid Defense. Better than ours possibly.

Could Nashville still trade his rights? Lets say Nashville trades him to the Rangers and get a bunch of players or whatever in return. NYR then has the ability to match that deal and Weber belongs to them. Is that a possibility or is their some rule preventing that from happening? I don't know. If that is the case, Nashville may wait 6 days to try and swing a deal before matching or not.

Could Nashville still trade his rights? Lets say Nashville trades him to the Rangers and get a bunch of players or whatever in return. NYR then has the ability to match that deal and Weber belongs to them. Is that a possibility or is their some rule preventing that from happening? I don't know. If that is the case, Nashville may wait 6 days to try and swing a deal before matching or not.

No. When a player signs an offer sheet they can do only one of two things: play for his original team once the offer is matched, or the original club refuses to match and he goes to the team that signed him to the offer sheet.

Two destinations for Weber, and two only: Nashville. Philadelphia. That's it.

Under the previous CBA (at least), the original team could match, they could refuse and get compensatory draft picks relative to the contract, or the two clubs could work out a trade during the 7-day "grace" period. That trade option between the Predators/Flyers is something I'm not sure is possible or not under the new CBA.

I know it was possible under the previous CBA, but I had a quick look at the current one and couldn't find it: Can't Weber still be traded to Philadelphia during this period (and only Philadelphia)? As I said, I know it was possible pre-2005 (I remember plenty of stone-age LGW day discussion of what the return for Fedorov could be from Carolina if Detroit worked out a trade after the offer sheet was signed), but not sure now. Philadelphia could solve some cap-issues there, but they've really got until the exhibition season to solve that.

At least it is mentioned in this article...

Weber agrees to offer sheet

"Per the CBA, if the Preds match Weber, they can't trade him for an entire year. But they could still trade with the Flyers, a team who has the extra top 6 forwards they need."

Oh, I agree totally, but I also believe Philadelphia front-loaded the hell out of this contract to at least make the decision very difficult. Otherwise there's no point in Holmgren spinning his wheels on this whole thing.

Plus, we have to consider Weber's feelings on the whole thing: If he sees the writing on the wall and wants out, matching the offer won't change that. He'll be miserable and locked in for a year and then you've got a a Nash-2.0 PR fiasco. If Poile knows that and matches anyway.... yikes. Bad fallout from that.

Maybe Holmgren decided to take advantage of this rule and loose the competition? Maybe Poile and Holmgren are in on this together somehow? :scared:

Good point here by Frank Serevalli (@DNFlyers):

https://twitter.com/DNFlyers/status/225945730584559617

Spending $26M in one calendar yr, NSH would be forking over 16% of entire franchise net worth ($163M in '11 accd to Forbes) to match offer

"Per the CBA, if the Preds match Weber, they can't trade him for an entire year. But they could still trade with the Flyers, a team who has the extra top 6 forwards they need."

Maybe Holmgren decided to take advantage of this rule and loose the competition? Maybe Poile and Holmgren are in on this together somehow? :scared:

Good, that's what I thought. With this out there I think it becomes increasingly clear that the offer sheet was meant to force Poile's hand to complete a trade. It's two-fold for Holmgren: He's fine with sacrificing the draft picks if need be, but he's got the assets to get a trade done, too. If Poile was riding the fence on what he wanted to do and dragging it out it's a genius move by Holmgren. Puts the screws to Poile to get it done and a strong potential to land a franchise defenseman that has Norris trophies in his future.

No, it was wise for Weber to act this summer. The shot the owners put across the players' bow over the last week was message enough that there will be major changes to contract term. Weber has a guaranteed contract for 14-years and over $100-million. The way the talk is he'd be lucky to get half that if he waits until next summer -- even less if there is a 5- or 6-year cap on contracts. He needed to get in before the lockdown on contract length, and he did. Good for him, it just sucks the Red Wings weren't in on it. He's a franchise defenseman and there aren't many out there, far fewer that ever become available.

True, I forgot about the proposal from the owners for the new CBA. I guess from a player's perspective I was just thinking that I'd rather be paid what I'm worth (or more) for a shorter term than be stuck with a contract that will be undervalued in the future. The new cap limit and possible rollbacks next Summer could kill that idea anyway, though and I suppose he wanted the security.

Nick Kypreos ‏@RealKyper#Preds Weber offer sheet from #Flyers. 1st 4 yrs 1M salary+13M sb; yrs 5-6 4M sal+ 8Msb; yrs 7-10 6M sal; year 11 3M sal;

Yes, you read that right. 14M A YEAR FOR THE FIRST 4 YEARS....

My god, this actually could be a record...

Edited by ShanahanMan

As someone pointed out already, Weber should have waited to become an UFA instead of signing this offer sheet. I can only assume he would get more money as a free agent and with the length of this offer sheet he'll be playing for less than he's worth for the majority of his career.

For everyone worried that the Wings now never have a shot at Weber: How many players have stayed in Philly over the last 5 years, let alone 14?

I bet Weber was thinking about the CBA. He could potentially get LESS money if he waited and there are radical changes.

Edited by Nightfall

A couple points. I know the first one comes off as arrogant but whatever. I think Nashville fans have been shown their place in the NHL pecking order over the last month. It's not a destination for players. It is a place where guys go until they are ready to go make serious money elsewhere. Nashville may well match Philly's offer but once Weber signed it it was clear he too wanted out of Smashville.

Next point, where does the Preds franchise go from here? Their two top players courted, one gone already and another perhaps days away from leaving. Their fan favorite and energy guy signs with a rival. Not a lot to draw the locals. An NHL franchise has always been iffy in Nashville, they collect mounds of revenue sharing cash, Bettman had to overstep the bounds of decency to keep them in Nashville. I just can't see where this offseason does anything but "retards" (And don't get up in arms over that word it is being used properly here) their growth, growth they felt was putting them up there with the NHL big boys. Alas, the Preds get to stay at the kids table for the next few Thanksgivings.

Wow. $14m a year for the first 4 years? :blink:

If you want to get him out of Nashville, this is how you try to do it. No point in even submitting an offer sheet if you make it easy for the other club to match. They've got to be massive, front-loaded deals to force the hand of lower-revenue, small-market teams.

If Weber ends up in Philly and gets the C does he assume the kiss of death Lindros, Primeau, and Pronger all have with careers ended via concussions? Hes already had 2 ... one or two more good bell ringers and he could be counting to potatoe as well. Just saying.

:lol: I didn't even think about that but you're right. I wouldn't touch the C in Philly with a ten foot pole if I were him!

We all know that Preds will match this offer sheet, so that is not the point. But Weber would easily be worth 4 first round picks in my opinion. It is not like the Red Wings have a fantastic draft record for defensemen taken in the first round the past 20 years -and it is not like they aren't trying. Detroit used 8 of 10 possible picks on defensemen and traded ten 1st picks (in 97, 99, 01, 02, 03, 04, 06, 09, 11 and 12). The exceptions are McCollum in 08 and Sheahan in 10.

1993 Anders Eriksson

1994 Yan Golubovsky

1995 Maxim Kuznetsov

1996 Jesse Wallin

1998 Jiri Fischer

2000 Niklas Kronwall

2005 Jakub Kindl

2007 Brendan Smith

Hold on a sec. Weber's definitely worth 4 Detroit 1st rounders if we're talking the past. BUT with Lidstrom gone and our superstars all getting older we can't assume the future will be paved in low 20's draft positions.