• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest Crymson

Flyers sign Weber to offer sheet: 14y/$110m ($56m 1st 4yrs)

Rate this topic

Guest Crymson

I know it was possible under the previous CBA, but I had a quick look at the current one and couldn't find it: Can't Weber still be traded to Philadelphia during this period (and only Philadelphia)? As I said, I know it was possible pre-2005 (I remember plenty of stone-age LGW day discussion of what the return for Fedorov could be from Carolina if Detroit worked out a trade after the offer sheet was signed), but not sure now. Philadelphia could solve some cap-issues there, but they've really got until the exhibition season to solve that.

From the CBA:

Once an Offer Sheet for a restricted Free Agent has been received by the Prior Club, the Prior Club may not trade or otherwise Assign its Right of First Refusal for such Restricted Free Agent.

Of course they're "valid" -- how would they not be? On what planet is it allowed where a professional sports league office hands out money to small-market teams just so they can keep a specific player? It's just a downright silly suggestion. They get what they get from revenue sharing, and that's it. No special favors for specific situations.

As an aside, your second mistake (the first being the ridiculous post that started the dialog) is to not be fully aware of the definitions of "argument". For your education: http://dictionary.re...browse/argument (specifically, points #2 and #3). No one is getting "pissy" here, but if that's the road you wish to travel down it would appear the only tampon present here is wedged between your ears.

Oh, and one of the benefits of me being around the forums more often now is that I can sniff out previously banned members who sign up under different usernames. So, in this case, should I call you "MrSandman"? Or "MrSandmann"? Nevermind, you can't answer that now.

Keep the dialog on topic henceforth.

I feel like I've gone back in time.... back in time to 1984 :scared::shutup:

No, they can't do that either. There's no other way around it. There's only 2 possible outcomes from here on out. Nashville matches, or they don't.

Or the league investigates... which could actually force a lockout of the Flyers somehow don't get him and head off to the NHLPA

When was the last time the Flyers made a big free agent splash that didn't turn out badly?

All I remember are Forsberg many years ago, then Pronger and then Bryzgalov. Granted, Pronger did help them get to the Finals, but look how he ended up.

They're a good team, but this doesn't put them over the top or anything like that. They still have major goalie issues.

Guest Crymson

13 million which is signing bonus, protected from rollbacks...he made the right choice to sign this now. It won't exist in 3 months.

The current CBA sure is a complete joke.

Wings are boned. This just serves to re-hilight that Kenny has not planned very well for the eventualities of Lidstrom retiring, and Stewart leaving.

The only shot they have now is trading with someone, and noone is going to give Kenny a fair shake knowing how desperate the Wings are on D. Bouwmeester? Geeze. Talk about scraping the bottom of the barrel.

Good on the Phlyers for getting this done, if it happens. But, damn, it's frustrating that so many other teams are improving, and the Wings have added Tootoo and the shinguard assassin. I would not be surprised if they do bring pain train back at this point.

Who are the phylers?

The only shot the Wings always had of landing a #1 defenceman was by trading. Nashville has to spend 24 million just to get to the cap floor. They will match the offer and then thank Philly for helping them lock up Weber for life.

Sorry, if this question was asked and answered already... What is the difference in this Weber's contract and Kovalchuk's, the once refused by nhl?

Philly can have him. Not only was one half of the best d pairing dismantled with a division rival now the other half may be gone too. Nashville just went from a fairly legit team to complete garbage. It's just unforturnate for us this year that the guys we would love to have (Nash, Suter, Weber) are in our division. These gm's are smart for not letting us have these guys. There is more parity in the central now then in a long time. He's out of our division and out of our conference for the time being....Im ok with that.

Philly can have him. Not only was one half of the best d pairing dismantled with a division rival now the other half may be gone too. Nashville just went from a fairly legit team to complete garbage. It's just unforturnate for us this year that the guys we would love to have (Nash, Suter, Weber) are in our division. These gm's are smart for not letting us have these guys. There is more parity in the central now then in a long time. He's out of our division and out of our conference for the time being....Im ok with that.

You're forgetting something. Lidstrom and Stuart are also out of the Central for good. The Wings currently have no #1 D man. The Wings are in the same boat as the Preds, as their top 2 defensemen are gone. How is this good for them?

*edit - misspelled Stuart's name.

Edited by drwscc

Guest Crymson

They can deny the contract, though I'm not sure that there's much room for them to do so. Since the contract doesn't carry Weber past his 40th birthday, it doesn't fall under the "Kovalchuk" clause. I suppose they could see the whole contract as some kind of attempt to massively circumvent the cap, but since the huge signing bonuses count against the cap, I don't think they'd be able to justify that.

Weber is nearly 27. He will be 41 when the contract ends.

The problem is Holland is getting burned by being too conservative with his moves, and in doing so he's letting the team decline instead of taking a risk and possibly making a wrong move. There's an old saying 'Action is always better than inaction'.

I don't agree with that saying on any level. And that's a pretty easy thing to say (and think) about Holland and the Red Wings until you look at all the angles involved. We're not talking about one single move. It's like the chaos theory, or a domino effect. It's real easy for us to second-guess when we sit here at our computers and sip our coffee or beer. We don't have to worry our pretty little heads about the upcoming effect of the CBA; how new players will mesh with the vets; where the money really needs to go and to who; the absolute, greedy insanity of some of the offers made and accepted; and above all, parity. It has reared its ugly but determined head and there is no way around it. It is not going away. Probably ever. So I suggest that some of us work on some perspective between what we want as fans and what we're realistically gonna get. And will have to deal with. And as fans, to try to keep the faith rather than only coming up with negatives.

Sorry, if this question was asked and answered already... What is the difference in this Weber's contract and Kovalchuk's, the once refused by nhl?

Kovalchuk's deal paid him until he was 44 I believe with the last 7 years being at 1 million dollars a season.

The NHL didn't believe he had any intention of playing those years out, and ruled they were added just to artificially lower his cap hit.

You're forgetting something. Lidstrom and Stewart are also out of the Central for good. The Wings currently have no #1 D man. The Wings are in the same boat as the Preds, as their top 2 defensemen are gone. How is this good for them?

Very good point, i'm not forgetting that Lidstrom or Stuart is gone. Lids can never be replaced so thats a non issue to me. Although he could have still played for a few years he was on the declining years of his career..as is Stuart I believe...He was very hot and cold last year. They just lost 2 guys in their absolute prime. Needless to say the bluelines in the central are going to look a whole lot different next year.

Kovalchuk's deal paid him until he was 44 I believe with the last 7 years being at 1 million dollars a season.

The NHL didn't believe he had any intention of playing those years out, and ruled they were added just to artificially lower his cap hit.

So again what's the real difference? How much is Weber being paid in the last few years?

Your first mistake is confusing a question with an 'argument'. You make valid points and I accept your reasoning... no reason to get all pissy about it. Need a tampon?

That kind of comment is totally irrelevant to the topic and is way off base. That kind of commentary needs to stop right here and now.

Who are the phylers?

The only shot the Wings always had of landing a #1 defenceman was by trading. Nashville has to spend 24 million just to get to the cap floor. They will match the offer and then thank Philly for helping them lock up Weber for life.

This is the most interest point made here you know... because say he had no intention of really resigning in NSH, this guarantees he will. HA! So Philly basically did the negotiating for them, found a contract he'd take, then just crossed out the name and wrote their own "Shea Weber signs with Philadelphia Flyer NAshWillE PredIITors"

Guest Crymson

Dreger says that the Predators will issue a statement today. He also says that they knew yesterday morning that an offer sheet was coming but failed to agree to a trade with any team during that period. Poile is a moron.

We should all thank our lucky stars we didnt land Weber!

He has 7-8 great years left in him....thats it!!!!

Weber will be a mere shell of himself the last half of this contract. His style of play is ballistic, physical, and absolute torture on the body.

We were truly watching history every shift with Lids. 20 years of grace and athletic dominance at his position.

Lids was a fitness freak BUT his game was cerebral, relying on positioning rather than brut force.

Weber is a buzz saw looking to punish and intimadate people, this style is not condusive for a lengthy elite career and certainly not the next 14 years!

Does anyone in their right mind seriously think he will be a perrenial norris candidate year in and year out FOR THE NEXT 14 YEARS ?!!!

Cant wait for next season!! Youth movement, fresh legs, hunger, desire hard work and all the wagon hopping fans and forum gm's will be gone!

This is the most interest point made here you know... because say he had no intention of really resigning in NSH, this guarantees he will. HA! So Philly basically did the negotiating for them, found a contract he'd take, then just crossed out the name and wrote their own "Shea Weber signs with Philadelphia Flyer NAshWillE PredIITors"

u taaKEY Dats BAcccks Wevs d0nnT's WhITes lIkeS DAts 1 bItss hEre iN nAhS....NAShisvILle. hahahaha sorry.

But yea if Nashville has some balls and will spend some money for once they will match it and have their franchise player for the rest of his career. Maybe Weber and his agent told Nashville to buzz off and he would never re-sign with them so this was Nashville move to let someone else do it for them. Either a smart move or a lucky one. hahah Did the philly offer have any kind of no trade clause or any of that and can you do that in an offer like that...didn't see that mentioned. Maybe Nashville knows he will never sign with them. Let a team do it for them...after nashville matches..they trade him to someone for players and picks......

When was the last time the Flyers made a big free agent splash that didn't turn out badly?

All I remember are Forsberg many years ago, then Pronger and then Bryzgalov. Granted, Pronger did help them get to the Finals, but look how he ended up.

They're a good team, but this doesn't put them over the top or anything like that. They still have major goalie issues.

Did Jagr really turn out that badly?

******* a I wish holland woulda tried going after him at least. Disappointed. Needed a s*** load of help on d with lids and Stuart gone and he hasn't signed one top 2 dman. C'mon man step your game up

It's been widely reported that Detroit was in the mix on a trade for Weber. Can't exactly say that Holland didn't try going after Weber. Maybe he didn't submit an offer sheet (which isn't Holland/Red Wings' style anyway), but that doesn't mean he sat back and did nothing to try and acquire him...