• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest Crymson

Flyers sign Weber to offer sheet: 14y/$110m ($56m 1st 4yrs)

Rate this topic

Hey Holland, this is what having Balls means! Take some risk! You wouldn't even miss the first round picks....I am beginning to think that Wiz is totally right about Holland....sure he puts an effort in to try to acquire players, but he low balls UFA's and other GM's...

Maybe he does, but Holmgren's balls to the wall strategy hasn't won him anything but the adulation of some fans.

Holland's method may not make him a lot of fans, but its won multiple Stanley Cups.

Then why didn't Poile announce that the Predators had matched the offer this morning instead of saying he's going to take time to "look it over". If they've got the cash do it, why wait? So who's really ignorant here?

So why was Poile discussing a trade of Weber to one of the Red Wings, Rangers, Sharks or Flyers? Have you ever considered the slap in the face that last year's arbitration process was for last year? Poile & Co. countered with a $4.75m proposal at that hearing... Yet Weber ended up with $7.5m -- a pretty significant difference. Weber just watched his partner jump ship to head closer to home for money that Poile would've reportedly matched. If Poile and Weber were close on money he would've re-signed at this point.

No, this points to disillusionment with the franchise. A fracture that first formed last summer and has significantly widened since the beginning of the month. Suter leaving was likely the straw that broke the camel's back in this case, and the comments from Weber's agent "it's not a money issue" but liked the Flyers' history and "Cup chances". Neither of which Nashville can boast of.

If weber didn't want to be in Nashville, he would have played out this year, became a UFA, and left. You really think he would have signed this if he didn't want to play in Nashville? No chance he makes that kind of gamble knowing the preds have said all along they will match any offer. And what difference does it make if poile matches it today, tomorrow or next Monday? Its real easy for you to say they should hve matched it this morning when its not your 110 million your spending. Listen, the only leverage weber had, being a RFA, was to sign the Philly offer and assure himself of a monster deal before the CBA expires.

There is no way poile allows weber to walk for 4 picks that will likely be somewhere in the 20 to 30 range. There is no way he can justify that to his fanbase. Weber is the preds franchise and I repeat, this is a different ownership group that has the money. I will be more than happy to come back and eat crow if in wrong. But you'd be hardpressed to find someone else that follows this team as close as I do.

As for Darren D's comments he made earlier today saying weber doesn't want to be in Nashville, those were opinions, nothing else. He can't back those comments up with any facts or quotes. Poile may have been talking about trading weber but he was just doing his diligence to see what weber could possibly bring in.

The bottom line is this, the ball is in the preds court and there is no way in hell he doesn't match.

Maybe he does, but Holmgren's balls to the wall strategy hasn't won him anything but the adulation of some fans.

Holland's method may not make him a lot of fans, but its won multiple Stanley Cups.

Its readily apparent that Leftwinger would rather have "balls to the walls" signings rather than Stanley Cups. Me? I will take the cups. :)

This is a pure money move. NHLPA is going to go down in flames like it did last time after Gary got done with them. Weber doesn't care about the team, he just wants the contract. Accepting what the Flyers had to offer means he will have an idiotic contract on the books before the CBA expires. Leave it to the Flyers to give him the guarantee.

Can't really blame him. You spend your life training your butt off to be a hockey player, might as well secure your future at the expense of a money-flinging organization.

If weber didn't want to be in Nashville, he would have played out this year, became a UFA, and left. You really think he would have signed this if he didn't want to play in Nashville? No chance he makes that kind of gamble knowing the preds have said all along they will match any offer. And what difference does it make if poile matches it today, tomorrow or next Monday? Its real easy for you to say they should hve matched it this morning when its not your 110 million your spending. Listen, the only leverage weber had, being a RFA, was to sign the Philly offer and assure himself of a monster deal before the CBA expires.

There is no way poile allows weber to walk for 4 picks that will likely be somewhere in the 20 to 30 range. There is no way he can justify that to his fanbase. Weber is the preds franchise and I repeat, this is a different ownership group that has the money. I will be more than happy to come back and eat crow if in wrong. But you'd be hardpressed to find someone else that follows this team as close as I do.

As for Darren D's comments he made earlier today saying weber doesn't want to be in Nashville, those were opinions, nothing else. He can't back those comments up with any facts or quotes. Poile may have been talking about trading weber but he was just doing his diligence to see what weber could possibly bring in.

The bottom line is this, the ball is in the preds court and there is no way in hell he doesn't match.

The Preds don't have the CASH to match an offer nor can they structure an offer the way the Flyers have done. http://capgeek.com/charts_floor.php

The Preds would have to dump a ton of salary to even come close to making an offer. Weber isn't going to go through another "rebuilding" year...his rep and agent both said that today. Nashville has a week to match it or erject it...eithert way he's a Flyer in 7 days and Nashville becomes another expansion team all over again. Even with the (8) 1st round picks they are nothing more than an expansion team starting all over from ground zero. As for Polie not wanting him to trade him w/ in the Western Conference...that's a no brainer. I just might order myself a Weber jersey and wear it to a Preds game just to piss them off.

We gave up one first round for....>QUINCY ffs! Three more would not be much for Weber. Sure, its a long contract. but it wasnt a friggin BFF 2fer...

Simple matter really. Philly wanted a franchise defenseman locked up. Detroit wanted to utilize thier modus operandi.

This is the new parity laden NHL. I for one am glad we got Quincy at SUCH a steal.

Have to remember, they bumped us from the playoffs and we also lost Lids + Stu... They may be laughing at us

The Wings lost a 42 year old Lidstrom, he wasn't anywhere near the defenceman last year as he was in his 20's and 30's. Stuart was downright awful in that playoff series managing to be on the ice for almost every goal against in the whole series.

The Predators lost their #1 and #2 defencemen at the height of their primes. They also lost their best offensive player in Radulov, another key deadline acquisition in Kostitsyn, the highest scoring player in their bottom 6 and their #4 defenceman. To date they haven't replaced any of them.

I don't think either of our franchises are really in a position to be laughing to be honest.

The Wings lost a 42 year old Lidstrom, he wasn't anywhere near the defenceman last year as he was in his 20's and 30's. Stuart was downright awful in that playoff series managing to be on the ice for almost every goal against in the whole series.

The Predators lost their #1 and #2 defencemen at the height of their primes. They also lost their best offensive player in Radulov, another key deadline acquisition in Kostitsyn, the highest scoring player in their bottom 6 and their #4 defenceman. To date they haven't replaced any of them.

I don't think either of our franchises are really in a position to be laughing to be honest.

Issue at hand was offense during the playoffs, we couldn't score.... Also, that was my point, no one should be laughing as one another...

On a side note, Lids still was the best D man we had and one of the best in the league even at 42 yrs of age...

Philly just got a whole lot better

Edited by Rivalred

Have to remember, they bumped us from the playoffs and we also lost Lids + Stu... They may be laughing at us

Hence why I said "this offseason." Those are also two things we saw coming all year long. Or at least I did. Not so much for Nashville. So haha at their surprise misfortune.

Right, because we're on the verge of winning Cups right now. :rolleyes:

Being as that there have been 9 different cup winners since 2003, I don't think its reasonable to expect "cups" for the Wings in the next 10 years. I think 1 is a realistic expectation. Besides, as evidenced this year by the Kings, I feel the Wings have a good shot if they hit the playoffs hot.

I take it you would take the "balls to the walls" signings over the cup victories over the last 15 years? Good to know. You should root for Philly, they have done just what you like. Besides, Bryzgalov was a great signing last season. I bet you creamed your pants. :D

Edited by Nightfall

Lids retired over 40 years old and Stuart left for family reasons.

Suter left for family reasons, but also for what will be greener pastures. and their D just got better when they signed Matt Dumba to his entry level.

Weber is leaving to go to a legit contender and is worth the 4 late 1st round picks it'll cost.

Radulov left cause he's a D bag and wants nothing more than money and would rather play apparently anywhere but Nashville.

Rinne will hang himself next year with only Klein infront of him doing anything useful, though opposing forwards will have a rather easy time ripping right down the middle and putting shots on him from not the outside.

Ryan Ellis is a little ***** and will get crushed by a big forward and his career will be short.

Nashville will not make the playoffs this year, so they better draft well with their 3 picks a year that will be within the first 40 picks.

Best of luck Poile.

Being as that there have been 9 different cup winners since 2003, I don't think its reasonable to expect "cups" for the Wings in the next 10 years. I think 1 is a realistic expectation. Besides, as evidenced this year by the Kings, I feel the Wings have a good shot if they hit the playoffs hot.

I take it you would take the "balls to the walls" signings over the cup victories over the last 15 years? Good to know. You should root for Philly, they have done just what you like. Besides, Bryzgalov was a great signing last season. I bet you creamed your pants. :D

Our Cup victories often involved "balls to the walls signings". I don't know what you're trying to argue. And you know I'm not a Flyers fan so why waste your time?

Holland made huge moves in 2002 and we won the Cup as a result. Now he seems to be falling on his face with the salary cap.

Are you arguing that by not doing s***, we're somehow better off or better apt to win the Cup? I doubt it.

Are you arguing that by not doing s***, we're somehow better off or better apt to win the Cup? I doubt it.

A lot of people seem to think so. And, I dunno, maybe it's just this headache I've had all day, but...I feel sick about it.

Resting on the laurels of the four cups isn't going to keep the Red Wings competitive. Holland has to change his approach to adapt to the league -- maybe he doesn't become as overly aggressive as Holmgren, but his current state of complacency isn't working either. Just because the system was successful before doesn't mean it is going to work forever and it appears the Red Wings luster is wearing off.

Holland is a really good GM. I'm thankful for everything he has done, but this is the biggest test of his career and so far the results aren't very positive.