Photo
- - - - -

Flyers sign Weber to offer sheet: 14y/$110m ($56m 1st 4yrs)

shea weber nashville predators philadelphia flyers offer sheet

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
475 replies to this topic

#201 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,738 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 11:44 AM

Wow! They may as well sign Jeremy Lin while they're at it.

The NHL better be careful with all these overpaid players. They don't need another lockout.
According to my profile, my reputation is excellent. LOL.

#202 drwscc

drwscc

I drink your milkshake...I drink it up!!!!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,289 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 11:50 AM

Wings are boned. This just serves to re-hilight that Kenny has not planned very well for the eventualities of Lidstrom retiring, and Stuart leaving.

The only shot they have now is trading with someone, and noone is going to give Kenny a fair shake knowing how desperate the Wings are on D. Bouwmeester? Geeze. Talk about scraping the bottom of the barrel.

Good on the Phlyers for getting this done, if it happens. But, damn, it's frustrating that so many other teams are improving, and the Wings have added Tootoo and the shinguard assassin. I would not be surprised if they do bring pain train back at this point.

*edit: misspelled Stuart

Edited by drwscc, 19 July 2012 - 12:19 PM.

Faith is to believe what you do not yet see; the reward for this faith is to see what you believe.

I went to a doctor the other day, and all he did was suck blood out of my neck. Never go see Dr. Acula
- Mitch Hedberg

#203 Jedi

Jedi

Spell Forged - Unparalleled Quality

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 9,807 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 11:50 AM

What about if say the Preds trade their rights to Weber to a different team within the 7 days? The CBA is very confusing but I would imagine there has to be some sort of loophole like that.

No, they can't do that either. There's no other way around it. There's only 2 possible outcomes from here on out. Nashville matches and Weber plays for the Preds, or they don't and he's a Flyer.

snyoep.jpg
"I am the sword in the darkness... I am the watcher on the walls...
I am the shield that guards the realms of men..."

#204 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 11:51 AM

Though that's the end of 2012 :eh:

A calendar year is 365 days.

#205 BostonBruinsDan1924

BostonBruinsDan1924

Rookie

• Pip
  • 178 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 11:52 AM

I don't see Nashville matching a front loaded deal and I don't see ownership going against their word on long term deals. Just saying...

http://deadspin.com/...ing-masterpiece

#206 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 11:57 AM

I know it was possible under the previous CBA, but I had a quick look at the current one and couldn't find it: Can't Weber still be traded to Philadelphia during this period (and only Philadelphia)? As I said, I know it was possible pre-2005 (I remember plenty of stone-age LGW day discussion of what the return for Fedorov could be from Carolina if Detroit worked out a trade after the offer sheet was signed), but not sure now. Philadelphia could solve some cap-issues there, but they've really got until the exhibition season to solve that.

From the CBA:

Once an Offer Sheet for a restricted Free Agent has been received by the Prior Club, the Prior Club may not trade or otherwise Assign its Right of First Refusal for such Restricted Free Agent.

#207 Wing Across The Pond

Wing Across The Pond

Gabriel's Wings

• Silver Booster
  • 744 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 11:59 AM

Of course they're "valid" -- how would they not be? On what planet is it allowed where a professional sports league office hands out money to small-market teams just so they can keep a specific player? It's just a downright silly suggestion. They get what they get from revenue sharing, and that's it. No special favors for specific situations.

As an aside, your second mistake (the first being the ridiculous post that started the dialog) is to not be fully aware of the definitions of "argument". For your education: http://dictionary.re...browse/argument (specifically, points #2 and #3). No one is getting "pissy" here, but if that's the road you wish to travel down it would appear the only tampon present here is wedged between your ears.

Oh, and one of the benefits of me being around the forums more often now is that I can sniff out previously banned members who sign up under different usernames. So, in this case, should I call you "MrSandman"? Or "MrSandmann"? Nevermind, you can't answer that now.

Keep the dialog on topic henceforth.

I feel like I've gone back in time.... back in time to 1984 :scared: :shutup:

No, they can't do that either. There's no other way around it. There's only 2 possible outcomes from here on out. Nashville matches, or they don't.

Or the league investigates... which could actually force a lockout of the Flyers somehow don't get him and head off to the NHLPA

Posted Image

Check out my blog -The Heid-Out- a cynical mans take on everyday life

#208 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,738 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 11:59 AM

When was the last time the Flyers made a big free agent splash that didn't turn out badly?

All I remember are Forsberg many years ago, then Pronger and then Bryzgalov. Granted, Pronger did help them get to the Finals, but look how he ended up.

They're a good team, but this doesn't put them over the top or anything like that. They still have major goalie issues.
According to my profile, my reputation is excellent. LOL.

#209 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 12:01 PM

13 million which is signing bonus, protected from rollbacks...he made the right choice to sign this now. It won't exist in 3 months.

The current CBA sure is a complete joke.

#210 FlashyG

FlashyG

1st Line All-Star

• HoF Booster
  • 1,145 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 12:01 PM

Wings are boned. This just serves to re-hilight that Kenny has not planned very well for the eventualities of Lidstrom retiring, and Stewart leaving.

The only shot they have now is trading with someone, and noone is going to give Kenny a fair shake knowing how desperate the Wings are on D. Bouwmeester? Geeze. Talk about scraping the bottom of the barrel.

Good on the Phlyers for getting this done, if it happens. But, damn, it's frustrating that so many other teams are improving, and the Wings have added Tootoo and the shinguard assassin. I would not be surprised if they do bring pain train back at this point.

Who are the phylers?

The only shot the Wings always had of landing a #1 defenceman was by trading. Nashville has to spend 24 million just to get to the cap floor. They will match the offer and then thank Philly for helping them lock up Weber for life.

#211 ami

ami

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 760 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 12:02 PM

Sorry, if this question was asked and answered already... What is the difference in this Weber's contract and Kovalchuk's, the once refused by nhl?

#212 puckbags

puckbags

The Future

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,601 posts
  • Location:Cobble Hill, BC, Canada ( 2,522 Miles from the Joe)

Posted 19 July 2012 - 12:02 PM

Philly can have him. Not only was one half of the best d pairing dismantled with a division rival now the other half may be gone too. Nashville just went from a fairly legit team to complete garbage. It's just unforturnate for us this year that the guys we would love to have (Nash, Suter, Weber) are in our division. These gm's are smart for not letting us have these guys. There is more parity in the central now then in a long time. He's out of our division and out of our conference for the time being....Im ok with that.

"Hard Work Beats Talent When Talent Refuses to Work Hard"

LGW after 1 loss is irrational, after a few in a row it becomes quite comical, 22 playoff appearances in a row and 4 cups in that time and still going strong. Relaxxxxx !!

#213 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 12:04 PM

How do you fire an owner, exactly?

With a highly-skilled assassin, I suppose.

#214 drwscc

drwscc

I drink your milkshake...I drink it up!!!!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,289 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 12:05 PM

Philly can have him. Not only was one half of the best d pairing dismantled with a division rival now the other half may be gone too. Nashville just went from a fairly legit team to complete garbage. It's just unforturnate for us this year that the guys we would love to have (Nash, Suter, Weber) are in our division. These gm's are smart for not letting us have these guys. There is more parity in the central now then in a long time. He's out of our division and out of our conference for the time being....Im ok with that.

You're forgetting something. Lidstrom and Stuart are also out of the Central for good. The Wings currently have no #1 D man. The Wings are in the same boat as the Preds, as their top 2 defensemen are gone. How is this good for them?

*edit - misspelled Stuart's name.

Edited by drwscc, 19 July 2012 - 12:18 PM.

Faith is to believe what you do not yet see; the reward for this faith is to see what you believe.

I went to a doctor the other day, and all he did was suck blood out of my neck. Never go see Dr. Acula
- Mitch Hedberg

#215 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 12:06 PM

They can deny the contract, though I'm not sure that there's much room for them to do so. Since the contract doesn't carry Weber past his 40th birthday, it doesn't fall under the "Kovalchuk" clause. I suppose they could see the whole contract as some kind of attempt to massively circumvent the cap, but since the huge signing bonuses count against the cap, I don't think they'd be able to justify that.

Weber is nearly 27. He will be 41 when the contract ends.

#216 Vladifan

Vladifan

Legend

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 5,759 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 12:06 PM

The problem is Holland is getting burned by being too conservative with his moves, and in doing so he's letting the team decline instead of taking a risk and possibly making a wrong move. There's an old saying 'Action is always better than inaction'.

I don't agree with that saying on any level. And that's a pretty easy thing to say (and think) about Holland and the Red Wings until you look at all the angles involved. We're not talking about one single move. It's like the chaos theory, or a domino effect. It's real easy for us to second-guess when we sit here at our computers and sip our coffee or beer. We don't have to worry our pretty little heads about the upcoming effect of the CBA; how new players will mesh with the vets; where the money really needs to go and to who; the absolute, greedy insanity of some of the offers made and accepted; and above all, parity. It has reared its ugly but determined head and there is no way around it. It is not going away. Probably ever. So I suggest that some of us work on some perspective between what we want as fans and what we're realistically gonna get. And will have to deal with. And as fans, to try to keep the faith rather than only coming up with negatives.

"He even ate with women who at that time were accorded the same status as the family donkey. Are we willing to break bread with, say, child sex slaves, transgender teens and undocumented workers? Because when Jesus comes back to Earth, that's where he'll be hanging."
You can easily judge the character of a man by how he treats those who can do nothing for him.

#217 Bring Back The Bruise Bros

Bring Back The Bruise Bros

RIP Probie

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,689 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 12:11 PM

$13 million signing bonus? $14 million/year for the first 4 years?

No wonder we're heading for another lockout.
"Ice hockey is a form of disorderly conduct in which the score is kept."

RIP Bob Probert
RIP Wade Belak
RIP Derek Boogaard
RIP Rick Rypien

#218 FlashyG

FlashyG

1st Line All-Star

• HoF Booster
  • 1,145 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 12:14 PM

Sorry, if this question was asked and answered already... What is the difference in this Weber's contract and Kovalchuk's, the once refused by nhl?

Kovalchuk's deal paid him until he was 44 I believe with the last 7 years being at 1 million dollars a season.

The NHL didn't believe he had any intention of playing those years out, and ruled they were added just to artificially lower his cap hit.
  • ami likes this

#219 puckbags

puckbags

The Future

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,601 posts
  • Location:Cobble Hill, BC, Canada ( 2,522 Miles from the Joe)

Posted 19 July 2012 - 12:16 PM

You're forgetting something. Lidstrom and Stewart are also out of the Central for good. The Wings currently have no #1 D man. The Wings are in the same boat as the Preds, as their top 2 defensemen are gone. How is this good for them?

Very good point, i'm not forgetting that Lidstrom or Stuart is gone. Lids can never be replaced so thats a non issue to me. Although he could have still played for a few years he was on the declining years of his career..as is Stuart I believe...He was very hot and cold last year. They just lost 2 guys in their absolute prime. Needless to say the bluelines in the central are going to look a whole lot different next year.

"Hard Work Beats Talent When Talent Refuses to Work Hard"

LGW after 1 loss is irrational, after a few in a row it becomes quite comical, 22 playoff appearances in a row and 4 cups in that time and still going strong. Relaxxxxx !!

#220 dirtydangles

dirtydangles

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,705 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 12:16 PM

The beauty is the holmgren can flip a dman like mez and a fwd for 1st rounders individually and only lose 2 first rounders net for weber.

Is there a kickstarter campaign for Jakub Kindl to never play another NHL game?