Photo
- - - - -

Flyers sign Weber to offer sheet: 14y/$110m ($56m 1st 4yrs)

shea weber nashville predators philadelphia flyers offer sheet

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
475 replies to this topic

#301 FlashyG

FlashyG

1st Line All-Star

• HoF Booster
  • 1,144 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 07:03 PM

Philly just got a whole lot better

They definitely did if Nashville doesn't match, I still think they will.

#302 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,662 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 07:06 PM

Being as that there have been 9 different cup winners since 2003, I don't think its reasonable to expect "cups" for the Wings in the next 10 years. I think 1 is a realistic expectation. Besides, as evidenced this year by the Kings, I feel the Wings have a good shot if they hit the playoffs hot.

I take it you would take the "balls to the walls" signings over the cup victories over the last 15 years? Good to know. You should root for Philly, they have done just what you like. Besides, Bryzgalov was a great signing last season. I bet you creamed your pants. :D

Our Cup victories often involved "balls to the walls signings". I don't know what you're trying to argue. And you know I'm not a Flyers fan so why waste your time?

Holland made huge moves in 2002 and we won the Cup as a result. Now he seems to be falling on his face with the salary cap.

Are you arguing that by not doing s***, we're somehow better off or better apt to win the Cup? I doubt it.
According to my profile, my reputation is excellent. LOL.

#303 Dabura

Dabura

Everydayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,006 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 07:09 PM

Are you arguing that by not doing s***, we're somehow better off or better apt to win the Cup? I doubt it.

A lot of people seem to think so. And, I dunno, maybe it's just this headache I've had all day, but...I feel sick about it.

Don't Toews me, bro!

#304 GoWings1905

GoWings1905

Legend

• Gold Booster
  • 5,226 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 07:21 PM

Resting on the laurels of the four cups isn't going to keep the Red Wings competitive. Holland has to change his approach to adapt to the league -- maybe he doesn't become as overly aggressive as Holmgren, but his current state of complacency isn't working either. Just because the system was successful before doesn't mean it is going to work forever and it appears the Red Wings luster is wearing off.

Holland is a really good GM. I'm thankful for everything he has done, but this is the biggest test of his career and so far the results aren't very positive.

"To whom much is given, much is expected."

#305 Rivalred

Rivalred

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 7,261 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 07:24 PM

They definitely did if Nashville doesn't match, I still think they will.

I don't think the Preds have the cash and it sounds like Shea wants out... The entire atmosphere of the team changed and he wants to compete for a cup...

He is jumping from a sinking ship... I think he agreed to a deal knowing it won't be matched...
D-Fence Avatar Win-O-Meter 8-1

#306 FlashyG

FlashyG

1st Line All-Star

• HoF Booster
  • 1,144 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 07:29 PM

I don't think the Preds have the cash and it sounds like Shea wants out... The entire atmosphere of the team changed and he wants to compete for a cup...

He is jumping from a sinking ship... I think he agreed to a deal knowing it won't be matched...

I think Weber is hoping they don't match, but realistically the Predators need to spend a ton of money just to get to the cap floor. The bonus money will hurt but not matching could mean the death of the franchise.

#307 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 07:30 PM

Quick question... if by some crazy sequence of events the CBA is altered in the next 7 days, does the offer sheet still count? I know it wont but say this situation happens later in the offseason and a team submits and offersheet then the CBA is changed, does the sheet become void as a contract isn't signed? Or would the league respect it and keep it?

Yes, it will still count.

#308 Salviaman

Salviaman

Tool + Red Wings = Bliss

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,284 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 07:32 PM

Weber wants out. The fans of Nashville will hate him now even if he is brought back to Nashville.
Think for yourself. Question authority. Throughout human history as our species has faced the frightening, terrorizing fact that we do not know who we are or where we are going in this ocean of chance, it has been the authorities, the political, the religious, the educational authorities who attempted to comfort us by giving us order, rules, regulations, informing, forming in our minds their view of reality. To think for yourself you must question authority and learn how to put yourself in a state of vulnerable, open mindedness, chaotic, confused vulnerability to inform yourself.

#309 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 07:33 PM

Guess Holland didn't even try.

St. James said pointedly that he was actually speaking with Weber, not the Predators. Since she also said that the Predators wouldn't have traded him to Detroit, your complaining on that note is silly.

Weber wants out. The fans of Nashville will hate him now even if he is brought back to Nashville.

Did Sabres fans hate Vanek?

#310 Bring Back The Bruise Bros

Bring Back The Bruise Bros

RIP Probie

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,683 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 07:34 PM

We all loved Fedorov even after he signed Carolina's offer sheet. Canucks fans still love Kesler, even though he signed Philadelphia's offer sheet.

Edited by Bring Back The Bruise Bros, 19 July 2012 - 07:35 PM.

"Ice hockey is a form of disorderly conduct in which the score is kept."

RIP Bob Probert
RIP Wade Belak
RIP Derek Boogaard
RIP Rick Rypien

#311 Salviaman

Salviaman

Tool + Red Wings = Bliss

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,284 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 07:45 PM

Only time will tell. Weber has seriously hurt Nashville in a big way.
Think for yourself. Question authority. Throughout human history as our species has faced the frightening, terrorizing fact that we do not know who we are or where we are going in this ocean of chance, it has been the authorities, the political, the religious, the educational authorities who attempted to comfort us by giving us order, rules, regulations, informing, forming in our minds their view of reality. To think for yourself you must question authority and learn how to put yourself in a state of vulnerable, open mindedness, chaotic, confused vulnerability to inform yourself.

#312 ShanahanMan

ShanahanMan

DUUUUUUUUH

• Silver Booster
  • 5,651 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 07:57 PM

Hah, do you forget this is the team that literally moped the floor with us?

If they're a sinking ship, than we're already at the bottom of the ocean.

They lost one of the best defensemen in the league to free agency, agreed, but if they match Weber's offer, which I believe they will, they are just one defenseman away from another Stanley Cup run.

I HATE JASON WILLIAMS

#313 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 08:07 PM

They lost one of the best defensemen in the league to free agency, agreed, but if they match Weber's offer, which I believe they will, they are just one defenseman away from another Stanley Cup run.

A team that couldn't win with Weber, Suter and Radulov needs only Weber and one other good defenseman to win the Cup? How about no?

The lengths to which you go in order to disparage the Wings' chances and inflate those of other teams is amazing.

#314 BostonBruinsDan1924

BostonBruinsDan1924

Rookie

• Pip
  • 178 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 08:13 PM

NHL teams values according to Forbes.com. Funny how the oldest teams in the NHL, the original 6, are still around turning a profite.
http://www.forbes.co.../list/?tw_p=twt

Then there is Nashville...
http://www.forbes.co...ille-predators/

#315 FlashyG

FlashyG

1st Line All-Star

• HoF Booster
  • 1,144 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 08:22 PM

They didn't just lose Suter, they also lost Radulov, Kostitsyn, Bouillion, Tootoo and now possibly even Weber, and didn't replace any of them.

I wouldn't say either the Pred or the Wings have gotten better this year but the Wings have at least plugged up some of the holes.

#316 Shaman

Shaman

Die hard Red Wing fan and realist.

• Silver Booster
  • 3,840 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 08:30 PM

St. James said pointedly that he was actually speaking with Weber, not the Predators. Since she also said that the Predators wouldn't have traded him to Detroit, your complaining on that note is silly.

Did Sabres fans hate Vanek?

Because Holland was going to try to sign an RFA? He's made it clear he doesn't sign RFAs, this offseason, and ones before. So him talking to Weber's agent is like an atheist talking to a priest, I'm sure the conversation was interesting, but in the end it didn't change anything.
Feuer und Wasser kommt nicht zusammen
Kann man nicht binden sind nicht verwandt
In Funken versunken steh ich in Flammen
und bin im Wasser verbrannt
Im Wasser verbrannt

#317 ShanahanMan

ShanahanMan

DUUUUUUUUH

• Silver Booster
  • 5,651 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 08:30 PM

A team that couldn't win with Weber, Suter and Radulov needs only Weber and one other good defenseman to win the Cup? How about no?

The lengths to which you go in order to disparage the Wings' chances and inflate those of other teams is amazing.

Can you make single post without insulting the person you're responding to? Just once?

Couldn't win? You're defending our roster yet at the same time discounting a team that destroyed us in the playoffs? I seriously can't wrap my head around the way your logic works.

The Predators put together a damn solid team essentially from scratch due to good management and smart draft choices. We lose Stuart, Rafalski, Lidstrom in the span of two years and you think all is fine, yet they lose Suter and you immediately think they "cant win"? I don't consider Radulov a loss, and the loss of Suter will definitely hurt, but I can think, as long as they retain Weber, they are still a team that can go far.

But it doesn't matter what I say, because in your little world, you'll always think we have a Stanley Cup caliber team regardless of the names on the roster.

I HATE JASON WILLIAMS

#318 xtrememachine1

xtrememachine1

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,427 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 08:32 PM

For the people saying that signing this offer sheet doesn't mean he wants to leave Nashville...

“I don’t think you sign an offer sheet unless your pointing in that one direction,” Bousquet said. He added that it’s really up to the Predators, but “he’d like to play with the Philadelphia Flyers.”

According to his agent, Weber doesn’t want to go through another rebuilding process. When asked if Weber would be in this position had Ryan Suter re-signed with the Predators, Bousquet speculated that things would be different.

http://prohockeytalk...ilding-process/

#319 Detroit # 1 Fan

Detroit # 1 Fan

Truculence.

• HoF Booster
  • 19,025 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 08:35 PM

Suter and Weber both turn heel on Poile in the same offseason, Vince McMahon would be proud.

Edited by Detroit # 1 Fan, 19 July 2012 - 08:35 PM.

#NOMOREKINDL

#320 frankgrimes

frankgrimes

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,745 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 08:37 PM

Weber wants a cup and getting paid as the elite defenseman he clearly is, so either Nashville pays him or he will become a Flyer making that team unstoppable.

Though I still think, we could have made a better one with a caphit of 8.2 sure extremely high but this guy will come as close as it gets to lower the hole our 5 left.

Edited by frankgrimes, 19 July 2012 - 08:48 PM.

kftx.jpg

The Offseason of truth ...

Welcome to hockeytown Jonas aka Lundquist 2 Gustavsson!

blank cheque for The Captain or Jim Star Nil please..