Photo
- - - - -

Flyers sign Weber to offer sheet: 14y/$110m ($56m 1st 4yrs)

shea weber nashville predators philadelphia flyers offer sheet

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
475 replies to this topic

#21 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 16,897 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 12:10 AM

Well, let the whining begin.

It just did with your post.

Stay on topic please.

#22 kipwinger

kipwinger

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,628 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 12:10 AM

Yes, if the Preds match, it becomes a contract with them. If not, it's a contract with Philly. Either way, it means Weber will likely never be a UFA, assuming the contract is approved by the league.

Can't believe that Weber signed this. He really must only care about the pay day because locking yourself into a contract like this is a life sentence unless the team you sign with is really savvy. Neither the Preds nor the Flyers are really savvy.

GMRwings:  "Well, in other civilized countries, 16 years old isn't considered underage.  For instance, I believe the age of consent is 16 in Canada.  There's some US states where it's 16 as well.  

Get off the high horse.  Not like she was 10."

"Some girls are 17 even though they look 25."

#23 number9

number9

All The Best Players Wear A 9

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,349 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 12:11 AM

xanaxxanaxanaxxanaxxanaxxanaxxanaxxanaxxanaxxanax

#24 ogreslayer

ogreslayer

1st Line All-Star

• HoF Booster
  • 1,959 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 12:13 AM

Yes, if the Preds match, it becomes a contract with them. If not, it's a contract with Philly. Either way, it means Weber will likely never be a UFA, assuming the contract is approved by the league.

And given the fact that it's now out there that the Preds & Flyers were working on a trade already, I have serious doubts that they'll match. But who knows, maybe Poile gets pissed off that Holmgren basically did an end-around on him with the offer sheet & matches simply out of spite.

#25 jamcar1984

jamcar1984

Draftee

• 13 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 12:14 AM

As it stands today the Flyers future looks a lot brighter than the wings, regardless of Weber

#26 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 16,897 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 12:15 AM

Flyers putting the screw to the Predators, and hoping for salary rollback and buyouts?

wow.

If the Preds don't match, what's left of their franchise, other than a whole lotta good draft picks?

#27 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 12:18 AM

I would rarther ship Emmerton and Kindl for Anton Volchenkov.

Is that a joke?

#28 ogreslayer

ogreslayer

1st Line All-Star

• HoF Booster
  • 1,959 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 12:20 AM

If Weber does indeed end up as a Flyer, this means one thing... Lilja becomes expendable & ready for another go-around with the Wings :sarcasm:

#29 Shaman

Shaman

Die hard Red Wing fan and realist.

• Silver Booster
  • 3,841 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 12:21 AM

The insult to injury part of this is that in spite of loss draft picks (look at the last 4 season 1st rounders the Wings have, compare them to Weber), is that his cap hit is lower than Suter's.
Feuer und Wasser kommt nicht zusammen
Kann man nicht binden sind nicht verwandt
In Funken versunken steh ich in Flammen
und bin im Wasser verbrannt
Im Wasser verbrannt

#30 ogreslayer

ogreslayer

1st Line All-Star

• HoF Booster
  • 1,959 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 12:23 AM

The insult to injury part of this is that in spite of loss draft picks (look at the last 4 season 1st rounders the Wings have, compare them to Weber), is that his cap hit is lower than Suter's.

I wouldn't say his cap hit would be lower than Suter's yet. The reports are "upwards of $100m". We don't know how much more "upwards" of that mark it is yet.

#31 Salviaman

Salviaman

Tool + Red Wings = Bliss

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,287 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 12:23 AM

WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! THAT IS CRAZY!!!
Think for yourself. Question authority. Throughout human history as our species has faced the frightening, terrorizing fact that we do not know who we are or where we are going in this ocean of chance, it has been the authorities, the political, the religious, the educational authorities who attempted to comfort us by giving us order, rules, regulations, informing, forming in our minds their view of reality. To think for yourself you must question authority and learn how to put yourself in a state of vulnerable, open mindedness, chaotic, confused vulnerability to inform yourself.

#32 GoWings1905

GoWings1905

Legend

• Gold Booster
  • 5,237 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 12:25 AM

Nashville has to match this, no? Interesting point on Twitter that I just read that if they were willing to offer Suter a huge deal, then surely you would think it applies for Weber too. Obviously the compensation is a little different than losing Suter for nothing, but highly unlikely any of those picks turn into a Shea Weber.

Very surprising the Flyers went the offer sheet route and Weber signed it. I thought he would just take another one-year deal in Nashville and hit UFA next summer.

"To whom much is given, much is expected."

#33 jamcar1984

jamcar1984

Draftee

• 13 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 12:26 AM

Should have offered Weber at least 14 years/115 mil.....would not have been upset with it at all

#34 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 16,897 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 12:26 AM

Hockey Memes@hockeymemes
Yo Holmgren, you can sign all the D in the world but Bryzgalov is still your goalie.

:lol:

And Dreger may have overestimated the picks. How does it work again? He's revising his totals saying it may be a couple firsts and a couple 2nds.

#35 Shaman

Shaman

Die hard Red Wing fan and realist.

• Silver Booster
  • 3,841 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 12:27 AM

I wouldn't say his cap hit would be lower than Suter's yet. The reports are "upwards of $100m". We don't know how much more "upwards" of that mark it is yet.

Unless its more than Suter is making its still an insult to us fans, if Suter is worth close to 7.6 million than Weber is worth ball park of 8.
Feuer und Wasser kommt nicht zusammen
Kann man nicht binden sind nicht verwandt
In Funken versunken steh ich in Flammen
und bin im Wasser verbrannt
Im Wasser verbrannt

#36 Ozzie30

Ozzie30

1st Line All-Star

• HoF Booster
  • 1,659 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 12:27 AM

This once again proves my theory that the Flyers and their fans are A-Holes.
RIP #24

#37 ogreslayer

ogreslayer

1st Line All-Star

• HoF Booster
  • 1,959 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 12:30 AM

Nashville has to match this, no? Interesting point on Twitter that I just read that if they were willing to offer Suter a huge deal, then surely you would think it applies for Weber too. Obviously the compensation is a little different than losing Suter for nothing, but highly unlikely any of those picks turn into a Shea Weber.

Very surprising the Flyers went the offer sheet route and Weber signed it. I thought he would just take another one-year deal in Nashville and hit UFA next summer.

With news leaking out that the Preds were talking to a number of teams about trading Weber, that leads me to believe that he told Poile that he wasn't interested in signing in Nashville long term after they met post-Suter signing. If they match, I wouldn't be surprised that they work out a sign & trade w/ the Flyers yet. From Dreger:

Nashville was working on a trade and its believed several deadlines passed before Flyers grew tired of waiting. Weber signed offer sheet.
I'm told a number of teams were in on a possible Shea Weber trade. If Preds don't match, they receive 4- 1st round picks as compensation.

https://twitter.com/...817338795155456
https://twitter.com/...817644572487680

#38 DeGraa55

DeGraa55

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,546 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 12:30 AM

This is why this CBA sucks. Weber will never have the chance to be a FA he's stuck with Philly or Nash for the rest of his career rather he wanted it or not...

#39 number9

number9

All The Best Players Wear A 9

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,349 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 12:31 AM

He's trying to avoid the wings having a go at him next year! aggressiveness in the front office is just the one thing we lack and philly has all of....Holmgren loves big splashes that SOB

#40 Salviaman

Salviaman

Tool + Red Wings = Bliss

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,287 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 12:32 AM

Well enjoy life in either Philly or Nashville for the next 14 years. Cya later Weber!
Think for yourself. Question authority. Throughout human history as our species has faced the frightening, terrorizing fact that we do not know who we are or where we are going in this ocean of chance, it has been the authorities, the political, the religious, the educational authorities who attempted to comfort us by giving us order, rules, regulations, informing, forming in our minds their view of reality. To think for yourself you must question authority and learn how to put yourself in a state of vulnerable, open mindedness, chaotic, confused vulnerability to inform yourself.