Photo
- - - - -

Flyers sign Weber to offer sheet: 14y/$110m ($56m 1st 4yrs)

shea weber nashville predators philadelphia flyers offer sheet

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
475 replies to this topic

#441 cusimano_brothers

cusimano_brothers

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,615 posts

Posted 22 July 2012 - 12:19 PM

To borrow some the vernacular used on A&E's Storage Wars, this seems to be equivalent to "dumping a unit".

"Mess up tomorrow, don't mess up now".

- Harry James Benson, CBE.

#442 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 22 July 2012 - 01:43 PM

Posted Image

Well, that's that, then. Holland was never given the opportunity by Weber to sign the latter to an offer sheet.

#443 evilmrt

evilmrt

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,602 posts

Posted 22 July 2012 - 03:24 PM

Posted Image

Well, that's that, then. Holland was never given the opportunity by Weber to sign the latter to an offer sheet.

Odd, I didn't know that under the current CBA, you had to ask for permission before you presented an offer sheet lol.

#444 BostonBruinsDan1924

BostonBruinsDan1924

Rookie

• Pip
  • 178 posts

Posted 22 July 2012 - 04:20 PM

If Nashville wants to be a cap team, and spend the money to keep Weber plus get above the cap floor, then show the league you are serious and ink Weber to a deal matching or beating the Flyers offer sheet.

I heard after Weber pushed Z face first into the boards/glass that there were death threats made on Weber and that might be an unreported issue and a reason why Weber didn't sign with you guys.

#445 BostonBruinsDan1924

BostonBruinsDan1924

Rookie

• Pip
  • 178 posts

Posted 22 July 2012 - 04:28 PM

You know what's really funny to all this front loading contracts is that it all started with Z's contract and Kenny Holland frontloading his. If my memory is correct the Blackhawks blew a gasket over Z's deal and bitched about it. Then Lou of the Devils does a front loaded deal with Kovie, rewords the fine print, gets Kovie a killer deal that is legal. Then Hossa gets a sweet deal witht he Blackhawks and Pronger gets a 5yr $35M contract...AND THEN...someone trying to investigate all this.

So in all reality your GM was the brains behind the 1st front loaded contract that has started all this. I'm not bitching, I just find it funny how it was started and were it's ended up today.

#446 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 22 July 2012 - 05:28 PM

Odd, I didn't know that under the current CBA, you had to ask for permission before you presented an offer sheet lol.

Presenting Weber with an offer sheet would have been pointless had Weber already said that he wouldn't sign it.

#447 predmonkee

predmonkee

Top Prospect

• Pip
  • 59 posts

Posted 22 July 2012 - 05:30 PM

Wow you guys are bringing up some interesting points. The more I think about it, the more the Flyers GM seems diabolical. It would be a giant waste to sign the guy for a year or two and pay his massively front-loaded contract, then have him ask for a trade to a team that will pay him less but take the same cap hit.

I guess Nashville should match the offer if they feel the guy is truly committed to being a Predator. Doesn't sound like it if he has reservations to "rebuilding."

If Nashville matches and weber is a pred, there is no "rebuilding". Suter is a loss for sure but losing him alone doesn't put the team in rebuilding mode. Remember the preds had the number 1 pp in the league, had more guys with double digit plus goals before radulov and AKostytsin joined the team. We told them to walk for good reason. Tootoo was a role player with limited ice time. Outside of suter, boullion may be the biggest loss, but even he was limited throughout the season due to injury. Young Guys like Bourque and Josi showed a great deal of promise and should be even better having a year under their belts.

Webers agent tossed the "rebuilding" word out there. If weber is back, then how exactly is this team rebuilding? You still have the top 3 lines in place, weber on the blue line, and rinne in net. A solid mix of veterans and young guys. And just a little background on his agent, the guy is a flake. He posted some of webers stats on his web page last year and it was full of errors, misspellings, etc... It was comical. After his comments last week, it wouldn't surprise me one bit if weber ripped him a new one. Of course, now that weber is gaurenteed that money, his agent knows he is getting his cut so he was free to pop off about whatever he wanted. He should have thought about his comments a little more carefully knowing Nashville can match and weber may end up as a pred long term.

#448 Dabura

Dabura

Everydayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,195 posts

Posted 22 July 2012 - 05:31 PM

LOST

Ken Holland's Balls

IF FOUND PLEASE CALL

Don't Toews me, bro!

#449 Salviaman

Salviaman

Tool + Red Wings = Bliss

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,289 posts

Posted 22 July 2012 - 05:40 PM

3 more days.....
Think for yourself. Question authority. Throughout human history as our species has faced the frightening, terrorizing fact that we do not know who we are or where we are going in this ocean of chance, it has been the authorities, the political, the religious, the educational authorities who attempted to comfort us by giving us order, rules, regulations, informing, forming in our minds their view of reality. To think for yourself you must question authority and learn how to put yourself in a state of vulnerable, open mindedness, chaotic, confused vulnerability to inform yourself.

#450 BostonBruinsDan1924

BostonBruinsDan1924

Rookie

• Pip
  • 178 posts

Posted 22 July 2012 - 05:46 PM

As a fan of 1 of the original 6 teams, and being a Bostonian, wasn't Nashville 11th in the league in scoring?

#451 Buppy

Buppy

1st Line All-Star

• Silver Booster
  • 1,987 posts

Posted 22 July 2012 - 05:54 PM

You know what's really funny to all this front loading contracts is that it all started with Z's contract and Kenny Holland frontloading his. If my memory is correct the Blackhawks blew a gasket over Z's deal and bitched about it. Then Lou of the Devils does a front loaded deal with Kovie, rewords the fine print, gets Kovie a killer deal that is legal. Then Hossa gets a sweet deal witht he Blackhawks and Pronger gets a 5yr $35M contract...AND THEN...someone trying to investigate all this.

So in all reality your GM was the brains behind the 1st front loaded contract that has started all this. I'm not bitching, I just find it funny how it was started and were it's ended up today.

Lecavalier was the first, I think. July of 2008. Hank didn't sign his until January 2009. Mike Richards and Ovechkin both had long-term deals before that, though not front-loaded.

As a fan of 1 of the original 6 teams, and being a Bostonian, wasn't Nashville 11th in the league in scoring?

8th actually.

#452 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 17,296 posts

Posted 22 July 2012 - 05:55 PM

Last season?

8th in Goals For. 1st in PP%.

#453 evilmrt

evilmrt

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,602 posts

Posted 22 July 2012 - 05:59 PM

Presenting Weber with an offer sheet would have been pointless had Weber already said that he wouldn't sign it.

Then how does this make sense?

Had Wings been presented with possibility of Weber wanting to come to DET, maybe offer sheet considered. Never came to that.

— Helene St. James (@HeleneStJames)

#454 arag

arag

1st Line Sniper

• HoF Booster
  • 821 posts

Posted 22 July 2012 - 05:59 PM

Weber is not coming to Detroit. Who gives a s*** where he goes. Let the Preds fans worry about it. This years UFA/RFA situation sucks.

#455 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 22 July 2012 - 06:00 PM

Then how does this make sense?

I'll quote my post for you again:

In other words, Weber wasn't interested in playing for the Wings, and thus Holland didn't bother giving an offer sheet that he knew would be refused.

#456 WingsAlways

WingsAlways

Disgruntled Zamboni Driver

• PipPip
  • 413 posts

Posted 22 July 2012 - 06:30 PM

LOST

Ken Holland's Balls

IF FOUND PLEASE CALL

I recall this quote by some dude named Gretzky that went "You'll always miss 100% of the shots you don't take", Mr. Holland needs to take that advice...

5_zps63dcf56d.jpg

"The Russian Five"    

#457 Rivalred

Rivalred

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 7,314 posts

Posted 22 July 2012 - 06:32 PM

I recall this quote by some dude named Gretzky that went "You'll always miss 100% of the shots you don't take", Mr. Holland needs to take that advice...

And he also cherry picked a lot and had no defensive upswing to his game...

As others have mentioned, the Flyers have a solid team... Shore up the D even more may help the tending

Edited by Rivalred, 22 July 2012 - 06:36 PM.

D-Fence Avatar Win-O-Meter 8-1

#458 Shaman

Shaman

Die hard Red Wing fan and realist.

• Silver Booster
  • 3,846 posts

Posted 22 July 2012 - 06:43 PM

I'll quote my post for you again:

In other words, Weber wasn't interested in playing for the Wings, and thus Holland didn't bother giving an offer sheet that he knew would be refused.

Which makes us as the question: Why are players not interested in playing with the Wings?
Feuer und Wasser kommt nicht zusammen
Kann man nicht binden sind nicht verwandt
In Funken versunken steh ich in Flammen
und bin im Wasser verbrannt
Im Wasser verbrannt

#459 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 22 July 2012 - 06:47 PM

Which makes us as the question: Why are players not interested in playing with the Wings?

Does it? No, you'll only ask that question if you choose to generalize this single event. Weber decided that he wanted to go to the Flyers. Wham, bam, done. That's all there is to it. He is not "players." He is A player. Suter and Parise decided that they wanted to play in Minnesota together. This did not mean that they did not want to play for the Wings, but rather that they had other priorities.

#460 Danielsm

Danielsm

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 481 posts

Posted 22 July 2012 - 07:45 PM

I'm surprised you people think Weber would want to come here. He hates us. He wouldn't smash Hank's head against the boards because he wanted to join our team.