Photo
- - - - -

Flyers sign Weber to offer sheet: 14y/$110m ($56m 1st 4yrs)

shea weber nashville predators philadelphia flyers offer sheet

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
475 replies to this topic

#41 ogreslayer

ogreslayer

Hall-of-Famer

• HoF Booster
  • 2,002 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 12:34 AM

:lol:

And Dreger may have overestimated the picks. How does it work again? He's revising his totals saying it may be a couple firsts and a couple 2nds.

All depends on how much he signs for. If over $8.41m, it would be 4 1st rounders. Figure it will be in the next tier down which would be 2 1st rounders, a 2nd, & a 3rd.

He's trying to avoid the wings having a go at him next year! aggressiveness in the front office is just the one thing we lack and philly has all of....Holmgren loves big splashes that SOB

And how's that been working out for the Flyers? I would say it hasn't been responsible for winning a Cup, but his moves did manage to win one in LA.

#42 number9

number9

All The Best Players Wear A 9

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,067 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 12:36 AM

All depends on how much he signs for. If over $8.41m, it would be 4 1st rounders. Figure it will be in the next tier down which would be 2 1st rounders, a 2nd, & a 3rd.

And how's that been working out for the Flyers? I would say it hasn't been responsible for winning a Cup, but his moves did manage to win one in LA.

hence why i love KH and still believe! even through this and the mandatory whining LGW demands lol

Edited by number9, 19 July 2012 - 12:36 AM.

#43 Red Wings Addict

Red Wings Addict

This is how I watch Wings games

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,749 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 12:36 AM

Other than the current subject of this thread, why exactly is Holmgren hated so much?

#44 JPT

JPT

Rookie

• Pip
  • 119 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 12:39 AM

Well enjoy life in either Philly or Nashville for the next 14 years. Cya later Weber!

I think he'll somehow end up in Philly no matter what. Even if Nashville matches I think a trade is in the works. Being a hockey player in Philly is not a bad thing. They have a good young team and its a nice, fun city. As a New Yorker I have a strong dislike for them but being objective its a good situation for him.

I think its time to face facts that we are not a team that people will just want to play for "just because". The Wings could stand to be more aggressive in pursuing high end talent. The fact that we'll be paying Quincy close to 4 mil a year and gave up a 1st for him makes me want to vomit.

#45 GoWings1905

GoWings1905

Legend

• Gold Booster
  • 5,631 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 12:41 AM

Risky move for Weber if he truly doesn't want to be in Nashville long-term. However, with a new CBA looming, maybe he also viewed this as his best opportunity to get a massive contract. I'm sure it is front-loaded with a signing bonus just like Parise and Suter's deals were.

Edited by GoWings1905, 19 July 2012 - 12:42 AM.

"To whom much is given, much is expected."

#46 ShanahanMan

ShanahanMan

DUUUUUUUUH

• Silver Booster
  • 5,776 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 12:42 AM

WOW. There goes Weber forever.

Another one bites the dust.

I HATE JASON WILLIAMS

#47 number9

number9

All The Best Players Wear A 9

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,067 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 12:44 AM

Pronger 2.0 begins.....

#48 IllinoisRedWingsFan

IllinoisRedWingsFan

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 529 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 12:45 AM

Well this sucks but wow wow wow! Even if I was Kenny I am not sure if I'd do this IMO 14 Years is too long for an athlete in general.

#49 Salviaman

Salviaman

Tool + Red Wings = Bliss

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,289 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 12:45 AM

Nashville is going to be struggling next season. They are going to be hurting on defense real bad now that Hal Gill is their #1 guy lol.
Think for yourself. Question authority. Throughout human history as our species has faced the frightening, terrorizing fact that we do not know who we are or where we are going in this ocean of chance, it has been the authorities, the political, the religious, the educational authorities who attempted to comfort us by giving us order, rules, regulations, informing, forming in our minds their view of reality. To think for yourself you must question authority and learn how to put yourself in a state of vulnerable, open mindedness, chaotic, confused vulnerability to inform yourself.

#50 F.Michael

F.Michael

Old School Dynamic Duo

• HoF Booster
  • 7,810 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 12:46 AM

Because if somebody did that to us with any of our good young talent we'd want their heads?

It happened with Fedorov.

'Evolution' created by Offsides

#51 jamcar1984

jamcar1984

Draftee

• 13 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 12:46 AM

I just do not understand why Holland would not even try to acquire Weber. With Lidstrom and Stuart gone and all of the cap space we have it just doesn't make any sense. Now we have absolutely no chance of ever seeing Weber wear the winged wheel. I really hope Smith is going to be able to be the man because nobody is trading us a top d-man without getting a king's ransom in return. Still have faith in Holland but this sh*t is starting to get old.

#52 Ozzie30

Ozzie30

1st Line All-Star

• HoF Booster
  • 1,659 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 12:47 AM

Lets hope Smith picks up his defensive game.
RIP #24

#53 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 12:49 AM

Darren Dreger@DarrenDreger
I'm trying to go back to bed. More info coming in. Philly, NYR, Detroit and San Jose were big players in Weber trade scenarios.

Clearly this offer sheet was a surprise to several teams. And if Holland had a chance at landing Weber by trade, he can hardly be blamed for not risking throwing a big offer sheet at Weber and having Weber possibly be a Predator for life as a result. Philly will not be affected overmuch if Weber ends up a Predator forever, but it's a different story for western conference teams... especially those in the same division as the Predators.

Edited by Crymson, 19 July 2012 - 12:52 AM.

#54 ogreslayer

ogreslayer

Hall-of-Famer

• HoF Booster
  • 2,002 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 12:50 AM

I just do not understand why Holland would not even try to acquire Weber. With Lidstrom and Stuart gone and all of the cap space we have it just doesn't make any sense. Now we have absolutely no chance of ever seeing Weber wear the winged wheel. I really hope Smith is going to be able to be the man because nobody is trading us a top d-man without getting a king's ransom in return. Still have faith in Holland but this sh*t is starting to get old.

And we don't really know whether Holland talked to Poile are not, do we? Dreger mentioned that there were "a number of teams" who had talked to Nashville about a trade. Who's to say Kenny didn't inquire?

Darren Dreger@DarrenDreger
I'm trying to go back to bed. More info coming in. Philly, NYR, Detroit and San Jose were big players in Weber trade scenarios.

And there we are...

#55 Ozzie30

Ozzie30

1st Line All-Star

• HoF Booster
  • 1,659 posts

Darren Dreger ‏@DarrenDreger

I was almost sleeping. Dreger is such a tease.
RIP #24

#56 ShanahanMan

ShanahanMan

DUUUUUUUUH

• Silver Booster
  • 5,776 posts

What people also need to get is this will definitely create a domino affect, driving up the value for elite defensemen exponentially. Any hopes we had of trading for Yandle, Enstrom, etc. is all but gone.

I HATE JASON WILLIAMS

#57 wings1110

wings1110

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,147 posts

******* f*** f*** f***. but really f***, I feel so helplessly disappointed.

#58 ShanahanMan

ShanahanMan

DUUUUUUUUH

• Silver Booster
  • 5,776 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 12:52 AM

One thing though.....

If Weber has made it clear to Nashville that he wants OUT, I wonder if a sign-and-trade scenario is still possible......

I HATE JASON WILLIAMS

#59 ogreslayer

ogreslayer

Hall-of-Famer

• HoF Booster
  • 2,002 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 12:52 AM

What people also need to get is this will definitely create a domino affect, driving up the value for elite defensemen exponentially. Any hopes we had of trading for Yandle, Enstrom, etc. is all but gone.

No need to panic. Just wait a couple years when Phily still hasn't won a Cup, Holmgren starts to get an itchy trigger finger, & looks to trade Weber off.

#60 GoWings1905

GoWings1905

Legend

• Gold Booster
  • 5,631 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 12:53 AM

Dreger just tweeted Detroit was involved in trade discussions for Weber. Another case of bad luck for the Red Wings with Weber playing for a team inside the division. I'm sure the asking price was another Nash scenario and Holland never goes to offer sheets.

"To whom much is given, much is expected."