Photo
- - - - -

Flyers sign Weber to offer sheet: 14y/$110m ($56m 1st 4yrs)

shea weber nashville predators philadelphia flyers offer sheet

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
475 replies to this topic

#61 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 12:54 AM

One thing though.....

If Weber has made it clear to Nashville that he wants OUT, I wonder if a sign-and-trade scenario is still possible......

It is not. If the Predators match the offer sheet, then they cannot trade Weber for one calendar year afterward.

#62 Red Wings Addict

Red Wings Addict

This is how I watch Wings games

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,749 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 12:55 AM

I see the Dreger tweet but why would Nashville want to trade with a rival such as Detroit?

#63 Shaman

Shaman

Die hard Red Wing fan and realist.

• Silver Booster
  • 3,703 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 12:56 AM

The problem is Holland is getting burned by being too conservative with his moves, and in doing so he's letting the team decline instead of taking a risk and possibly making a wrong move. There's an old saying 'Action is always better than inaction'.
Feuer und Wasser kommt nicht zusammen
Kann man nicht binden sind nicht verwandt
In Funken versunken steh ich in Flammen
und bin im Wasser verbrannt
Im Wasser verbrannt

#64 IllinoisRedWingsFan

IllinoisRedWingsFan

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 529 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 12:58 AM

Rumor has it according to Darren Dreger on Twitter (Yes I know NOT a reliable source though better then Eklund) the Flyers, NYR, San Jose and DETROIT were big players in the trade scenarios.

#65 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 12:59 AM

I see the Dreger tweet but why would Nashville want to trade with a rival such as Detroit?

One never knows what can be done for the right price.

#66 jamcar1984

jamcar1984

Draftee

• 13 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 01:00 AM

Dreger just tweeted Detroit was involved in trade discussions for Weber. Another case of bad luck for the Red Wings with Weber playing for a team inside the division. I'm sure the asking price was another Nash scenario and Holland never goes to offer sheets.

An offer sheet was the only chance we had of getting Weber. I'm sure I don't know a whole lot about how the whole front office thing works but I'd be willing to bet there was no chance in hell that Poile was trading Weber to us. I'm hoping Kenny would be smart enough to realize that as well. I understand he doesn't like the whole idea of signing other team's RFA's but I feel like if there was ever a time to go for broke and do it, this was it.

#67 ShanahanMan

ShanahanMan

It's Now or Never, Kenny....

• Silver Booster
  • 5,488 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 01:00 AM

Can he still be traded during the 7 day grace period?

I HATE JASON WILLIAMS

#68 Ozzie30

Ozzie30

1st Line All-Star

• HoF Booster
  • 1,659 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 01:01 AM

Rumor has it according to Darren Dreger on Twitter (Yes I know NOT a reliable source though better then Eklund) the Flyers, NYR, San Jose and DETROIT were big players in the trade scenarios.

Dreger is a reliable source, even if he scrawled it on a men's room wall you can believe it.

Edited by Ozzie30, 19 July 2012 - 01:02 AM.

RIP #24

#69 IllinoisRedWingsFan

IllinoisRedWingsFan

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 529 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 01:01 AM

An offer sheet was the only chance we had of getting Weber. I'm sure I don't know a whole lot about how the whole front office thing works but I'd be willing to bet there was no chance in hell that Poile was trading Weber to us. I'm hoping Kenny would be smart enough to realize that as well. I understand he doesn't like the whole idea of signing other team's RFA's but I feel like if there was ever a time to go for broke and do it, this was it.

Most of them when you get a guy like Weber as a RFA most teams would "Go For Broke" to try and get them. I would have like to have seen Kenny send an offer sheet.

#70 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 01:03 AM

Clearly the Wings WERE in possible trade scenarios for Weber. But if you'd like to go with your logic, then rest assured that they would be certain to match an offer sheet that would send Weber to a central division rival.

Can he still be traded during the 7 day grace period?

No.

#71 ShanahanMan

ShanahanMan

It's Now or Never, Kenny....

• Silver Booster
  • 5,488 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 01:04 AM

No.

Well....s***.

It really is the end of the world then.

I HATE JASON WILLIAMS

#72 Ozzie30

Ozzie30

1st Line All-Star

• HoF Booster
  • 1,659 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 01:06 AM

I totally agree. Really, what's the worst that could happen? We lose some picks we usually don't have and Kenny strains his relationship with Pollie?

RIP #24

#73 GoWings1905

GoWings1905

Beat Boston!

• Gold Booster
  • 5,014 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 01:07 AM

I'm with ya there. Not a big fan of offer sheets, but if there was ever a player worth the risk, Weber is certainly it. Especially if the cap hit turns out to be less than Suter's somehow.

It genuinely seems like Holland is putting forth a ton of effort into making a huge splash on practically every name available, so I'm not upset there. Just disappointing that the results aren't going in the Red Wings favor at all.

#74 Bring Back The Bruise Bros

Bring Back The Bruise Bros

RIP Probie

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,552 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 01:09 AM

Once, I saw this, I thougt to myself "Trade negotiations must've went sour and Holmgren pulled a **** move and threw the offer sheet at him". Well, I guess I was right :lol:

Dicck move by Holmgren, but an even bigger dicck move by Weber to sign it. Nashville is trapped, now. Lose their top defensive pairing in one summer, or lose 1 guy and financially trap yourself?

From what I remember, Nashville and Philly have been friendly and frequent trade partners in the past. I can't imagine this relationship will continue.
"Ice hockey is a form of disorderly conduct in which the score is kept."

RIP Bob Probert
RIP Wade Belak
RIP Derek Boogaard
RIP Rick Rypien

#75 jamcar1984

jamcar1984

Draftee

• 13 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 01:09 AM

Clearly the Wings WERE in possible trade scenarios for Weber. But if you'd like to go with your logic, then rest assured that they would be certain to match an offer sheet that would send Weber to a central division rival.

No.

If they could afford to match it then good for them but at least we would have had a chance at landing him. I guess all I'm trying to say is I believe that we would have had a better chance at signing him to an offer sheet rather than trying to work out a trade. Could be wrong - just my opinion.

#76 wings1110

wings1110

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,146 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 01:19 AM

Dreger just tweeted Detroit was involved in trade discussions for Weber. Another case of bad luck for the Red Wings with Weber playing for a team inside the division. I'm sure the asking price was another Nash scenario and Holland never goes to offer sheets.

Luck my ass, its called the job of a GM, Im not blaming Kenny for not offering a dumb contract, Im blaming Kenny for the last few s***ty offseasons, and he signed sammy so..

#77 Drake_Marcus

Drake_Marcus

Pariah

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,335 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 01:43 AM

Weber's not worth our next four 1st rounders. For all we know those could be four lottery pics.
Dedicated to lulz once lost:
Posted Image
Thanks TeeMan!

"We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas
of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage" --H.P. Lovecraft

#78 evilmrt

evilmrt

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,408 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 01:44 AM

Well, we certainly won't be running with the big dawgs this season... :confused:
IPB Image

#79 Red Wings Addict

Red Wings Addict

This is how I watch Wings games

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,749 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 01:54 AM

If ends up with the Flyers, you think he'll slam Crosby's head into the boards?

#80 DeGraa55

DeGraa55

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,052 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 02:02 AM

I'm sure he'll do far worse that that. And it'll be worth it...even if we do miss out on all the big names and the playoffs...