Photo
- - - - -

Flyers sign Weber to offer sheet: 14y/$110m ($56m 1st 4yrs)

shea weber nashville predators philadelphia flyers offer sheet

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
475 replies to this topic

#141 jamcar1984

jamcar1984

Draftee

• 13 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 08:58 AM

Kinding feeling like at this point hopefully the cap will go down after the new CBA is worked out and other teams will be forced to get rid of some decent players that we can in turn hopefully pick up.

#142 Nightfall

Nightfall

My goal is to deny yours!

• Gold Booster
  • 3,739 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 08:59 AM

As someone pointed out already, Weber should have waited to become an UFA instead of signing this offer sheet. I can only assume he would get more money as a free agent and with the length of this offer sheet he'll be playing for less than he's worth for the majority of his career.

For everyone worried that the Wings now never have a shot at Weber: How many players have stayed in Philly over the last 5 years, let alone 14?

I bet Weber was thinking about the CBA. He could potentially get LESS money if he waited and there are radical changes.

Edited by Nightfall, 19 July 2012 - 08:59 AM.

Christopher Brian Dudek
My Domain

#143 Jedi

Jedi

Spell Forged - Unparalleled Quality

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 9,804 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 08:59 AM

Wow. $14m a year for the first 4 years? :blink:

snyoep.jpg
"I am the sword in the darkness... I am the watcher on the walls...
I am the shield that guards the realms of men..."

#144 Jersey Wing

Jersey Wing

Watching Eastern Conference hockey before it was cool...

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,076 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 09:03 AM

A couple points. I know the first one comes off as arrogant but whatever. I think Nashville fans have been shown their place in the NHL pecking order over the last month. It's not a destination for players. It is a place where guys go until they are ready to go make serious money elsewhere. Nashville may well match Philly's offer but once Weber signed it it was clear he too wanted out of Smashville.

Next point, where does the Preds franchise go from here? Their two top players courted, one gone already and another perhaps days away from leaving. Their fan favorite and energy guy signs with a rival. Not a lot to draw the locals. An NHL franchise has always been iffy in Nashville, they collect mounds of revenue sharing cash, Bettman had to overstep the bounds of decency to keep them in Nashville. I just can't see where this offseason does anything but "retards" (And don't get up in arms over that word it is being used properly here) their growth, growth they felt was putting them up there with the NHL big boys. Alas, the Preds get to stay at the kids table for the next few Thanksgivings.

14767451334_8f0d14d8cb_o.jpg

#145 Matt

Matt

D<[[[| x11

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,071 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 09:04 AM

If you want to get him out of Nashville, this is how you try to do it. No point in even submitting an offer sheet if you make it easy for the other club to match. They've got to be massive, front-loaded deals to force the hand of lower-revenue, small-market teams.

#146 F.Michael

F.Michael

Old School Dynamic Duo

• HoF Booster
  • 7,513 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 09:05 AM

I bet Weber was thinking about the CBA. He could potentially get LESS money if he waited and there are radical changes.

I'm certain of this as well, and it's not as though Philly is a perpetual bottom feeder; Weber's def moving onto a "better" franchise.

Edited by F.Michael, 19 July 2012 - 09:07 AM.

'Evolution' created by Offsides

#147 Drake_Marcus

Drake_Marcus

Pariah

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,335 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 09:11 AM

If Weber ends up in Philly and gets the C does he assume the kiss of death Lindros, Primeau, and Pronger all have with careers ended via concussions? Hes already had 2 ... one or two more good bell ringers and he could be counting to potatoe as well. Just saying.

:lol: I didn't even think about that but you're right. I wouldn't touch the C in Philly with a ten foot pole if I were him!

We all know that Preds will match this offer sheet, so that is not the point. But Weber would easily be worth 4 first round picks in my opinion. It is not like the Red Wings have a fantastic draft record for defensemen taken in the first round the past 20 years -and it is not like they aren't trying. Detroit used 8 of 10 possible picks on defensemen and traded ten 1st picks (in 97, 99, 01, 02, 03, 04, 06, 09, 11 and 12). The exceptions are McCollum in 08 and Sheahan in 10.

1993 Anders Eriksson
1994 Yan Golubovsky
1995 Maxim Kuznetsov
1996 Jesse Wallin
1998 Jiri Fischer
2000 Niklas Kronwall
2005 Jakub Kindl
2007 Brendan Smith

Hold on a sec. Weber's definitely worth 4 Detroit 1st rounders if we're talking the past. BUT with Lidstrom gone and our superstars all getting older we can't assume the future will be paved in low 20's draft positions.
Dedicated to lulz once lost:
Posted Image
Thanks TeeMan!

"We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas
of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage" --H.P. Lovecraft

#148 russianswede919293

russianswede919293

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,535 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 09:14 AM

13 million which is signing bonus, protected from rollbacks...he made the right choice to sign this now. It won't exist in 3 months.

#149 MTU_Huskies963

MTU_Huskies963

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,810 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 09:15 AM

1M+13M signing bonus, wow this league is a mess

Expect another lockout, because of this contract

Edited by MTU_Huskies963, 19 July 2012 - 09:24 AM.

#150 wingslogo19

wingslogo19

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,234 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 09:15 AM

That's what you call cashing in! Holy front loaded contract. At least we don't have to worry about any more cheap shots from him
IPB Image

#151 jroc86

jroc86

Rookie

• Pip
  • 187 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 09:26 AM

Crosby vs Weber 6 times a year ... I could get used to that I guess.

#152 F.Michael

F.Michael

Old School Dynamic Duo

• HoF Booster
  • 7,513 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 09:32 AM

Hold on a sec. Weber's definitely worth 4 Detroit 1st rounders if we're talking the past. BUT with Lidstrom gone and our superstars all getting older we can't assume the future will be paved in low 20's draft positions.

I wouldn't say top 10 draft picks are pure gold either...A fair number of teams have had busts.

'Evolution' created by Offsides

#153 amato

amato

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,622 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 09:33 AM

Crosby vs Weber 6 times a year ... I could get used to that I guess.

Wouldnt mind seeing weber wipe Sid's face with the glass! Haha

Datsyukian

Dat·syu·ki·an [dat-soo-kee-uh n]

adjective

1. When your moves are so amazing and beyond reason, the only way to describe them is "datsyukian."

#154 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 16,876 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 09:40 AM

Dreger pointing out how the Preds botched this last year.

Darren Dreger@DarrenDreger
Nashville didn't want to give Weber $7+ on a 3 year term last year and opted for team elected arbitration.

#155 Dabura

Dabura

Everydayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,017 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 09:41 AM

Yeah, we were gonna sign Weber.

Don't Toews me, bro!

#156 St. Michael (the Red Wing)

St. Michael (the Red Wing)

Heavenly With the Puck

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,822 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 09:46 AM

13 million per year for the first 4 years? My mouth dropped open...

Edited by St. Michael (the Red Wing), 19 July 2012 - 09:47 AM.

#157 Drake_Marcus

Drake_Marcus

Pariah

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,335 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 09:50 AM

Kinding feeling like at this point hopefully the cap will go down after the new CBA is worked out and other teams will be forced to get rid of some decent players that we can in turn hopefully pick up.

I'd be surprised if the cap didn't go down with the new CBA. At this point it's a safe bet that the cap floor will drop so I wouldn't be surprised if they rework the cap/revenue formula.

13 million which is signing bonus, protected from rollbacks...he made the right choice to sign this now. It won't exist in 3 months.

That's the key point here. I agree with others that said this contract could be a powderkeg.

I wouldn't say top 10 draft picks are pure gold either...A fair number of teams have had busts.

True BUT imagine the Pens, Caps, Blackhawks, Oilers or other teams if you chopped 4 select years of 1sts out of their line ups. In each of those cases you could completely destroy the tank-to-win models of those franchises by removing those 4 years of 1st rounders.
Dedicated to lulz once lost:
Posted Image
Thanks TeeMan!

"We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas
of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage" --H.P. Lovecraft

#158 Din758

Din758

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,176 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 09:50 AM

shocked more people arent freaking out about this. i thought this place would be goign crazy.

Q about offer sheets, this may be stupid, but do other teams get a chance to match that offer, or just the team that owns him plus the team that made the initial number?
Crosby is a crybaby *****

#159 turbowhistle86

turbowhistle86

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 288 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 09:56 AM

shocked more people arent freaking out about this. i thought this place would be goign crazy.

Q about offer sheets, this may be stupid, but do other teams get a chance to match that offer, or just the team that owns him plus the team that made the initial number?

Only NSH has the chance to match, Weber can only be a Pred or a Flyer for the next season.

#160 JasonNewEra

JasonNewEra

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 266 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 09:57 AM

That contract is outrageous. If the new CBA doesn't fix this soon, we'll be treading baseball contracts soon. Honestly who thinks paying for one guy like that will be good for them? They won't be able to afford anyone else to help him! I wouldn't have signed it, but maybe it's just the almighty dollar working its evil again. I remember when we fought for the cup, not a $...

12412215175_9591987538_o.jpg