Photo
- - - - -

With cap space to clear, do Flyers become a Wings trade partner?

• Please log in to reply
78 replies to this topic

#1 Yzerfan1999

Yzerfan1999

Hall-of-Famer

• Silver Booster
  • 2,451 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 08:50 AM

If the Preds don't match, you've gotta think that the Flyers are going to need to shed some salary and a defenseman. No doubt they would love to get rid of Prongers 7 million dollar contract, but I doubt the Wings would swallow that salary without getting another good roster player to make up for it. Who do you think the Wings would target if they wanted to make a deal? Grossman? Coburn? Meszaros? Timonen?...Pronger?
When you lose, say little. When you win, say less.

--Thanks for the Sig. Offsides--

#2 F.Michael

F.Michael

Old School Dynamic Duo

• HoF Booster
  • 7,666 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 08:57 AM

I'm thinking the same...The only Dman that I'd want outta Philly is Coburn.

'Evolution' created by Offsides

#3 mmamolo

mmamolo

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,809 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 09:00 AM

Right now, if Weber becomes a Flyer, PHI is cap compliant with 23 players on their roster. They will want to re-sign Voracek but they have ~700k under the cap plus Lilja will be bounced. So they'll have $1.5M. That won't be enough for Voracek but to me it doesn't mean they have to move a D. Plus, there are an awful lot of NTC's on that blueline.
Posted Imagewww.unsportsmanlike.ca

#4 Motown4013

Motown4013

1st Line All-Star

• Silver Booster
  • 1,069 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 09:00 AM

Actually this is a distinct posibility. Not very many teams have enough cap space to take a contract that Philly may need to dump. Along with Coburn and Timonen (who would be a nice presence here) there are a few forwards that I wouldnt mind seeing.
How much harder and grittier does Detroit become with a Hartnell? I hate that guy...which means Id love to see him be an ahole to everyone else. Whats the offensive upside of young Matt Read? How about Couturier? This opens up a ton of possibilities!
Raising another Red Wings Fan!

The future looks bright in Hockeytown!
GUSTAV SNIPEQUIST!

#5 dustyrhoades9687

dustyrhoades9687

Top Prospect

• Pip
  • 50 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 09:01 AM

Yea even so who r we giving in return nothing is free

#6 Motown4013

Motown4013

1st Line All-Star

• Silver Booster
  • 1,069 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 09:12 AM

Right now, if Weber becomes a Flyer, PHI is cap compliant with 23 players on their roster. They will want to re-sign Voracek but they have ~700k under the cap plus Lilja will be bounced. So they'll have $1.5M. That won't be enough for Voracek but to me it doesn't mean they have to move a D. Plus, there are an awful lot of NTC's on that blueline.

Having less than a million is pretty scary......someone gets hurt through the year and they are kinda screwed. I imagine they wont want to be up against the wall. I think they will send someone out to give themselves some breathing space. Timonen does have a NMC as does Coburn BUT its not like the players would accept a trade Columbus. Most guys, knowing their top dog status is dwindling in Philly would waive it to play with the Wings.

Edited by Motown4013, 19 July 2012 - 09:14 AM.

GUSTAV SNIPEQUIST!

#7 LeftWinger

LeftWinger

42 years in Detroit! Time to spend the rest in paradise!

• Silver Booster
  • 8,716 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 09:14 AM

Please Holland NO Lilja...I haven't forgiven him yet for the 2009 giveaway...

Don't Be Jealous, But I Live Here...

www.thinkdunes.com

Nestrasil, yes...Cleary....No!

Dump Q and K Now!

#8 Motown4013

Motown4013

1st Line All-Star

• Silver Booster
  • 1,069 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 09:15 AM

Yea even so who r we giving in return nothing is free

on a salary dumps, they are looking for picks and prospects...not more players they need to pay. Our roster would remain virtually the same Id think.

GUSTAV SNIPEQUIST!

#9 Red Crazy

Red Crazy

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 628 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 09:30 AM

Please Holland NO Lilja...I haven't forgiven him yet for the 2009 giveaway...

Would you be surprised if Holland brought him back? Not I. It's called the Detroit Boomerang effect.

#10 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 17,015 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 09:32 AM

Is Pronger even fit to play? I honestly don't know but last I heard he may be done for his career due to post concussion symptoms.

#11 Jedi

Jedi

In this town of Halloween...

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 9,817 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 09:36 AM

Is Pronger even fit to play? I honestly don't know but last I heard he may be done for his career due to post concussion symptoms.

Still out from post-concussion, from the reports I've read. I think they're using the cap relief from his LTIR status in the Weber signing.

y4m8.png
"Come with us and you will see, this our town of Halloween..."

#12 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 17,015 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 09:42 AM

Still out from post-concussion, from the reports I've read. I think they're using the cap relief from his LTIR status in the Weber signing.

That's what I don't get. Pronger has a 35+ contract so it should count against the cap hit if he were to retire, right? But he can stay "active" as a player and the Flyers get LTIR cap relief?

Is that right?

#13 Jedi

Jedi

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 9,817 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 09:46 AM

That's what I don't get. Pronger has a 35+ contract so it should count against the cap hit if he were to retire, right? But he can stay "active" as a player and the Flyers get LTIR cap relief?

Is that right?

Yes, he's a 35+ contract, so they're on the hook for the cap hit if he were to retire. I'm not sure what the stipulation on staying on LTIR is, but there's got to be something the NHL can do to ensure that the Flyers don't use the LTIR relief as a way of circumventing the 35+ contract retirement clause.

That said, if any kind of amnesty buyout is agreed upon with the new CBA, I'd expect the Flyers to buy out Pronger for sure.

y4m8.png

#14 Motown4013

Motown4013

1st Line All-Star

• Silver Booster
  • 1,069 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 09:47 AM

Actually, if Webers salary is 14 million per, for the first 4...how can Philly be under the cap?
Even if it breaks down as Dreger suggests, the NHL still has to okay the term and the salary. I wonder if this would be denied due to the unprecidented terms involved? Man, the CBA will be looking to this contact big time. Salary max and crazy term. What happens if its declined? Do the Flyers still retain Webers rights or is he a RFA?

GUSTAV SNIPEQUIST!

#15 Jedi

Jedi

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 9,817 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 09:54 AM

Actually, if Webers salary is 14 million per, for the first 4...how can Philly be under the cap?
Even if it breaks down as Dreger suggests, the NHL still has to okay the term and the salary. I wonder if this would be denied due to the unprecidented terms involved? Man, the CBA will be looking to this contact big time. Salary max and crazy term. What happens if its declined? Do the Flyers still retain Webers rights or is he a RFA?

That's a very interesting question. I would imagine that he would go back to being an RFA, with the Predators still holding his rights.

y4m8.png

#16 Buppy

Buppy

1st Line All-Star

• Silver Booster
  • 1,980 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 10:37 AM

Is that right?

They can still get cap relief from LTIR. They did just that for two years with Laperriere. I assume they'll do it for 5 with Pronger if he can't play again. Loopholes.

#17 frankgrimes

frankgrimes

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,152 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 10:44 AM

That's a very interesting question. I would imagine that he would go back to being an RFA, with the Predators still holding his rights.

Philly then would go to the union and if they are giving their OK, the NHL would be overmatched because of the Suter/Parise deals in terms of leverage.

kftx.jpg

The Offseason of truth ...

Welcome to hockeytown Jonas aka Lundquist 2 Gustavsson!

blank cheque for The Captain or Jim Star Nil please..

#18 Shaman

Shaman

Die hard Red Wing fan and realist.

• Silver Booster
  • 3,841 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 10:59 AM

Salary dump? That's Panthers music!
Feuer und Wasser kommt nicht zusammen
Kann man nicht binden sind nicht verwandt
In Funken versunken steh ich in Flammen
und bin im Wasser verbrannt
Im Wasser verbrannt

#19 Richdg

Richdg

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,949 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 11:26 AM

No, but it does take Philly out of the circus on some other guys. The Flyers have been often mentioned when it comes to Nash and Ryan. No way they can go after those 2 now. Granted neither are D men, but both are available, both want to move, and the pool of teams that can get them/want them just got smaller. There were some rumors that Philly was the fav in the Ryan contest. That is the move we need to be making.

#20 Wing Across The Pond

Wing Across The Pond

Gabriel's Wings

• Silver Booster
  • 744 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 11:34 AM

No, but it does take Philly out of the circus on some other guys. The Flyers have been often mentioned when it comes to Nash and Ryan. No way they can go after those 2 now. Granted neither are D men, but both are available, both want to move, and the pool of teams that can get them/want them just got smaller. There were some rumors that Philly was the fav in the Ryan contest. That is the move we need to be making.

I do agree, but seriously that's our number 1 FA target gone. I'd have said Suter would have been high on the list but given the choice Weber would have been top. We were simply going to wait for him. This bones us, regardless of how much better it makes us in the Nash and Ryan sweepstakes. I don't know the Free Agent classes to know of any other #1/#2 Dmen available in the next few years. That means we trade or we find within. Not saying we got worse, just it got a hell of a lot harder for us. Best we can hope for at the moment is that the league investigate the deal. It'd be nice to have Nash or Ryan but we need a top line Dman, not even top 4... TOP LINE

Posted Image

Check out my blog -The Heid-Out- a cynical mans take on everyday life