• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Yzerfan1999

With cap space to clear, do Flyers become a Wings trade partner?

Rate this topic

I think he meant the 2007 giveaway.

Simmonds is really developing into a legitimate power forward. We'd have to give up another top 6 forward for him. I think Philly would be more likely to trade Hartnell, however.

I'd take Hartnell in a heartbeat if he'd re-sign with the Wings right away cause he's UFA next summer. Or get Holmgren to negotiate a contract with Hartnell for the sole purpose of a sign and trade to the Wings so the deal is secure on this end.

Interesting tidbit about the use of LTIR from the CBA.

CBA Article 50.10 section D (iii)

I may be interpreting this wrong but it seems the Flyers can't use the cap space created by putting Pronger on LTIR to sign a player who makes more money than him.

They may be forced now to count his caphit against their cap making them more likely to move someone.

The difficult word there is "replacing"... I have no idea what that means in the grand scheme of things?

Watch holmgren flip a dman and a fwd for 1st rounders. This guy is good.

The guy is agressive...Not sure how much success he's achieved with all his dealing though. They Flyers haven't exactly been a pillar of success during his tenure as GM.

When you're looking to trade and are currently above the salary cap the returns you get offered aren't going to be market value. Every GM in the league will know he has no choice but to accept their offer or use waivers, losing players for nothing at all.

I'd take Hartnell in a heartbeat if he'd re-sign with the Wings right away cause he's UFA next summer. Or get Holmgren to negotiate a contract with Hartnell for the sole purpose of a sign and trade to the Wings so the deal is secure on this end.

He always goes hard to the net, he's physical and scrappy, and capable of scoring 30+ goals/year. He's become an extremely well-rounded player. You can't say that about many players.

Edited by Bring Back The Bruise Bros

That said, if any kind of amnesty buyout is agreed upon with the new CBA, I'd expect the Flyers to buy out Pronger for sure.

Someone was asking me what the Flyers do if the cap drops, and this is what came to mind immediately. I guess the 35+ deals don't apply if it's part of an amnesty buyout.

Edit: Also, I'd take either Timonen or Mezsaros from Philly for a prospect/picks package. I wouldn't want Corburn or Grossmann (because of the longer term). Timonen for a year would be pretty cool... he's a very solid puck mover and great shot blocker. He might be old, but he'd be a good fit and could come relatively cheap. Mezsaros is only 26 and has two years left at 2 million. He seems to be a little inconsistent, but if he maintained a top 4 spot, he could be a solid pick-up.

Edited by Jesusberg

Someone was asking me what the Flyers do if the cap drops, and this is what came to mind immediately. I guess the 35+ deals don't apply if it's part of an amnesty buyout.

The worst bit about that contract for Philly, is that they could well be doing it again. Granted Weber is 27 not 35+ but they'll still be paying him till he's 41. Same with Minny paying two guys till they're 40. If the same thing happens they'll be sitting there thinking "Crap we could be in trouble here..."

He always goes hard to the net, he's physical and scrappy, and capable of scoring 30+ goals/year. He's become an extremely well-rounded player. You can't say that about many players.

On top of that he's a hilarious dude and would be great in the locker room. It's always fun having a class clown that improves morale during s*** skids.

They won't be moving forwards, it will be a D-man fersure, they are overly deep there now. And it will have to be more than Lilja....they have to clear more than a million and Lilja doesn't make a million.

The only D-man on that team without an NTC is Mezaros.....And I can definately see him in a wings jersey. Holmgren and Holland have been good dancing partners in the past and it seems to be a perfect fit for a trade right now. The Czech movement is beginning....

Edit: unfortunately for us I expect NSH to match

Edited by number9

The worst bit about that contract for Philly, is that they could well be doing it again. Granted Weber is 27 not 35+ but they'll still be paying him till he's 41. Same with Minny paying two guys till they're 40. If the same thing happens they'll be sitting there thinking "Crap we could be in trouble here..."

Much like Detroit could be thinking with Mule and Z (depending on consistency and health issues).

On top of that he's a hilarious dude and would be great in the locker room. It's always fun having a class clown that improves morale during s*** skids.

Agreed. If he doesn't re-sign with Philadelphia, he'll be one of my first choices, as far as top 6 forwards go. I used to hate him. I don't know what happened, but I like him now :lol:

Having less than a million is pretty scary......someone gets hurt through the year and they are kinda screwed. I imagine they wont want to be up against the wall. I think they will send someone out to give themselves some breathing space. Timonen does have a NMC as does Coburn BUT its not like the players would accept a trade Columbus. Most guys, knowing their top dog status is dwindling in Philly would waive it to play with the Wings.

a million is actually more than sufficient for injury replacements. Sure, most teams would like more than that for security but until last year a lot of teams carried a million or less in previous seasons.

Is Pronger even fit to play? I honestly don't know but last I heard he may be done for his career due to post concussion symptoms.

Still out from post-concussion, from the reports I've read. I think they're using the cap relief from his LTIR status in the Weber signing.

Pronger's LTIR relief has no affect on the Weber deal.

Interesting tidbit about the use of LTIR from the CBA.

CBA Article 50.10 section D (iii)

I may be interpreting this wrong but it seems the Flyers can't use the cap space created by putting Pronger on LTIR to sign a player who makes more money than him.

They may be forced now to count his caphit against their cap making them more likely to move someone.

LTIR cap relief constraint is only for during the season. It has nothing to do with the Weber deal. Plus, Pronger is all but done. He also will not officially retire until the duration of his contract is up. The Flyers will gladly pay him the money so they can have the cap space. Pronger's money will not affect their cap hit.

Also, the Flyers are cap compliant as of today WITH Pronger's money on the books. Once they put Pronger on LTIR then they have plenty of room to re-sign Voracek, drop Lilja and be done.

This Weber deal does NOT ensure the Flyers move a defenseman. I'm not saying they won't do it but they definitely do not have to do it.

Also, for those thinking PHI is going to be out of the Ryan sweepstakes I think you're mistaken. Once Pronger is on LTIR PHi could use one of the d-men everyone is talking about and some of the depth at forward as pieces to get Ryan.

They won't be moving forwards, it will be a D-man fersure, they are overly deep there now. And it will have to be more than Lilja....they have to clear more than a million and Lilja doesn't make a million.

The only D-man on that team without an NTC is Mezaros.....And I can definately see him in a wings jersey. Holmgren and Holland have been good dancing partners in the past and it seems to be a perfect fit for a trade right now. The Czech movement is beginning....

Edit: unfortunately for us I expect NSH to match

if the LTIR is over and his salary counts for Pronger now, they will have to move more than 1 piece. Weber is a premiere d-man....you dont sign a player like that without parting ways with some key guys and Holmgren is not afraid to blow it up and send away op of the line pieces ( Ritchie and carter last year for Bryz) I can see Timonen going and a guy like Couterier or Simmonds. it just seems like he is never happy....he has to have the newest guy, the biggest story, the best of the best. Maybe he has a small...umm...nevermind

a million is actually more than sufficient for injury replacements. Sure, most teams would like more than that for security but until last year a lot of teams carried a million or less in previous seasons.

Pronger's LTIR relief has no affect on the Weber deal.

LTIR cap relief constraint is only for during the season. It has nothing to do with the Weber deal. Plus, Pronger is all but done. He also will not officially retire until the duration of his contract is up. The Flyers will gladly pay him the money so they can have the cap space. Pronger's money will not affect their cap hit.

Also, the Flyers are cap compliant as of today WITH Pronger's money on the books. Once they put Pronger on LTIR then they have plenty of room to re-sign Voracek, drop Lilja and be done.

This Weber deal does NOT ensure the Flyers move a defenseman. I'm not saying they won't do it but they definitely do not have to do it.

Also, for those thinking PHI is going to be out of the Ryan sweepstakes I think you're mistaken. Once Pronger is on LTIR PHi could use one of the d-men everyone is talking about and some of the depth at forward as pieces to get Ryan.

It sucks because it's true. Holmgrem has proven that he is aggressive enough to do just as you said.

Edited by The Greek

...Or they could retire at 37 or 38. Or a concussion could force them to retire early. So many teams (Detroit included) have been willing to take that risk, because you're betting against a future where you don't know what the CBA/cap structure will be like then, nor do you know if the guy will still be in the league. And in the meantime, Parise, Suter, and Weber are basically $12 million to $14 million players only counted as about "half" of that as far as the cap is concerned.

...Or they could retire at 37 or 38. Or a concussion could force them to retire early. So many teams (Detroit included) have been willing to take that risk, because you're betting against a future where you don't know what the CBA/cap structure will be like then, nor do you know if the guy will still be in the league. And in the meantime, Parise, Suter, and Weber are basically $12 million to $14 million players only counted as about "half" of that as far as the cap is concerned.

Yeah, this is big going in as really anything can happen, I agree with you there. He could get crocked in training camp for all we know. That being said, if you give a guy a contract till he's 41 you have to be willing to pay him till he's 41. Simple as. They can't sit there and think "Ah he'll most likely retire before then or something will come up so he doesn't play the last few years". I mean look at Modano contemplating a comeback at 42? It is true... anything can happen.

We are talking about Paul Holmgren and he's already expressed a huge interest in Bobby Ryan.

Danny B,Read,Voracek...sounds like a good bait for Anaheim.

Just can't count this crazy f***** off :lol:

We are talking about Paul Holmgren and he's already expressed a huge interest in Bobby Ryan.

That's the sad thing. He would absolutely make a trade like that (not that it would be a bad trade). It's almost as if he thinks that he has to blow up his team every time they don't win the Cup. I mean, what's the turnover rate for Flyers' players? 2-3 years at most?

Meszaros please. One of the most underrated and lesser known defensemen, he was among the league leaders in plus/minus and blocked shots a couple seasons ago. He plays a physical game also and isn't afraid to sacrifice his body to prevent a scoring chance.

if the LTIR is over and his salary counts for Pronger now, they will have to move more than 1 piece. Weber is a premiere d-man....you dont sign a player like that without parting ways with some key guys and Holmgren is not afraid to blow it up and send away op of the line pieces ( Ritchie and carter last year for Bryz) I can see Timonen going and a guy like Couterier or Simmonds. it just seems like he is never happy....he has to have the newest guy, the biggest story, the best of the best. Maybe he has a small...umm...nevermind

Pronger's cap hit will NOT count against the cap. PHI will eat his salary for the next five years by paying him to stay on LTIR and not retire until the contract has concluded. They did the same thing with Laperriere.

Also, there is zero chance Couturier gets traded.

It sucks because it's true. Holmgrem has proven that he is aggressive enough to do just as you said.

PHI has been going all in for the last couple of years. Honestly, I hate to shoot everyone's fantasies down but what I said is true. I'd like a Coburn or Meszaros or whatever as much as any one else but it's not realistic. But good video buddy

He is literally bizzaro Holland....

Hopefully he trades Giroux to us and Briere to the Isles....then when the Isles don't make the playoffs we get Briere at the deadline and go all L.A.KING on the cup.

On top of all that's been said about him, I'll add that he's also not afraid to challenge his teammates to do better (or "call them out," if you like).

But we're not getting him. Or Giroux (cream-filled-pipe dream). Or anyone good. Or anyone, prolly.