• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Icesurfer

Another option - Wait for 2013

Rate this topic

Instead of signing mediocre or second tier players to two year or more contracts maybe the Wings would best benefit from signing only one year contracts and waiting for the 2013 free agent class. Perry, Getzlaf, Morrow, Roy, Elias, Zajac, Visnovsky, Enstrom, Edler, Ryan Whitney, Timonen, Regher are just some of the players who may be available next year. Wings may also be better off if 2012-2013 were to be locked out. Even making trades may not be the wisest choice. And also could wait until the trade deadline to see what kind of team the Wings really have. Why waste cap space on a multi-year contract that they may regret next summer?

Maybe in January 2013 Lidstrom may decide to come back for 3 or 4 months. I am just thinking that a Shane Doan signing may be a regrettable 3 year signing..... and Wings sign him just because he is the next best available option. I think the Wings can deal with just one "transition" year versus forcing a two or three year transition by virtue of a second rate signing.

Yes, maybe. But who knows which free agents will still be out there come July 1, 2013?

This is it right here. Many of those players will not be available, as their clubs will likely want them as much as every other team in the NHL would like to have them. Would be nice, but it's not something we can or should expect.

Maybe in January 2013 Lidstrom may decide to come back for 3 or 4 months. I am just thinking that a Shane Doan signing may be a regrettable 3 year signing..... and Wings sign him just because he is the next best available option. I think the Wings can deal with just one "transition" year versus forcing a two or three year transition by virtue of a second rate signing.

Right now, it looks like your wish will come true. I dont see Holland making any outrageous offers to Doan, but he might feel tempted to throw a few more years at Semin if the price is right.

No. No. No.

Last July, Holland didn't like what he saw going on with the available free agent crop, so he waited for 2012, when Suter, Parise, and a LOT more guys were going to be UFAs. Well, what happened? Most of the quality players re-signed with their teams during the season, so the 2012 free agent pool ended up being very shallow after the top 2 players. And we all know what happened with them. Next year will just be more of the same. Holland needs to find the right moves and act NOW.

In a thread on HF boards I mentioned I would be thrilled to see (if available):

Edler or Enstrom for an offensive presence. Gillis is cheap just like Holland and Edler has taken allot of flack in Vancouver - if he underachieves this year and has issues with AV Icould see him testing the market is gillis lowballs him. Enstrom in a realistic possibility IMO ... we can easily outbid Winnipeg and our locker room with 3 more Swedes this year (Nyquist, Gustaffson, Samulssen) basically makes it half the national team. Enstrom would be a great addition as a puck mover.

A Robyn Regehr would be a Brad Stuart'esque player. Grit, size, defensively sound ... wells been dry offensivley of late but hes only 32. Douglas Murray for the right price could also be a nice fit to make us harder to play against. 3 of the 4 names I dropped are Swedes and I think that right there makes Detroit an attractive destination - espeically if we can suprise the naysayers and make the playoffs again.

How many vets have retired or stepped away just to get a few months into hockey season and realize theres a huge void in their life that they dont know how to fill. So many ... though i'd never count on it, and I think even if he had an inkling he wouldn't give in for the sake of his legacy - but Lidstrom comeback rumors surfacing in December wouldnt blow my mind. It still irks me that the real reason that hes done is a errant shot that fractured his ankle against Colorado. Up until that game we were leading the league, Lidstrom was on pace for another 45+ point season, an boom - him, Dats, Howie, Bert, Helm, Franzen all get hurt and we s*** the bed for the last 20 games with a skeleton crew and didnt get the groove back for playoffs. The team was far from perfect but when running on all cylinders was much better than a 5 games first round exit would indicate. Lidstroms last game at JLA the Wings were boo'd out of the Joe and I remember thinking - "f*** me, this CANT be his last game on home ice" (assuming that theyd lose game 5 in Nashville. Pretty sad and anitclimatic ending so such a great career to be honest.

No. No. No.

Last July, Holland didn't like what he saw going on with the available free agent crop, so he waited for 2012, when Suter, Parise, and a LOT more guys were going to be UFAs. Well, what happened? Most of the quality players re-signed with their teams during the season, so the 2012 free agent pool ended up being very shallow after the top 2 players. And we all know what happened with them. Next year will just be more of the same. Holland needs to find the right moves and act NOW.

This.

I do not want Holland to patch up big holes with little bandages. Especially if these are bandages we can't remove once more adaquate bandages become available. You don't spend to the Cap every year just because you can. You do it only when it will make your team better, and while this year's extremely average group will become slightly above average with Semin on it, it isn't worth sacrificing the cap space if it prevents us from landing someone who can really make a difference in our line up, and make our average group a legit contender.

It would suck sitting on all this cap space, but it we can't get anyone for just a one year contract, I'd rather face the season with who we currently have.

Nothing against that great 2013 FA class, but with our depth of young forwards we may not need any of them.

However I'd try and get Getzlaf! I'm a big fan!

I agree, I think we will all be surprised with how well our young unproven guys will play at the NHL level during the course of a full season. It's true that it wouldn't hurt to get another top 6 player at Filppula's age either. It's good to have some old, young, and in betweens.

I agree, I think we will all be surprised with how well our young unproven guys will play at the NHL level during the course of a full season. It's true that it wouldn't hurt to get another top 6 player at Filppula's age either. It's good to have some old, young, and in betweens.

Yea lets see what we have with some of these young forwards first, then add on after that. Personally I don't see a need to rush. Looking at the roster, we could ice a team where all 12 of our regular forwards have 10+ goal potential. That's a very well balanced attack!

I think the wings should wait, too many spoiled fans just want a name any name. Just because you have money now don't mean you have to lock yourself into a contract of a second rate player when in the future you can sign someone better in 2013. yes granted they might not be available, but i'm willing to take that chance after what i see available right now.

Yea lets see what we have with some of these young forwards first, then add on after that. Personally I don't see a need to rush. Looking at the roster, we could ice a team where all 12 of our regular forwards have 10+ goal potential. That's a very well balanced attack!

Where was that well-balanced attack against the Predators?

I think the wings should wait, too many spoiled fans just want a name any name.

Some are spoiled, true. But some are just realistic.

Christ, guys, this is more or less the same team (minus Stuart and Lidstrom) that lost in five games to the Predators just a few months ago.

The Wings should wait, but not because the UFA pool is better next year- although that does help. They are smart to wait beacause of the CBA. The Wings have Mule and Z on lifetime contracts, and adding more may have been the wrong move. With a limit on contract length, and a large amount of money, the Wings are poised to make moves in the next 5 years for free agents.

Long term, having a 35+ yr. old Parise, Suter, Z, and Mule may have hindered the Wings on the ice and against the cap. Not signing any 10+ yr. contracts this off-season will pay dividends in the next 10 years because the Wings will have the cap space and roster room to make big-time moves.

The Wings should wait, but not because the UFA pool is better next year- although that does help. They are smart to wait beacause of the CBA. The Wings have Mule and Z on lifetime contracts, and adding more may have been the wrong move. With a limit on contract length, and a large amount of money, the Wings are poised to make moves in the next 5 years for free agents.

Long term, having a 35+ yr. old Parise, Suter, Z, and Mule may have hindered the Wings on the ice and against the cap. Not signing any 10+ yr. contracts this off-season will pay dividends in the next 10 years because the Wings will have the cap space and roster room to make big-time moves.

Don't forget Kronwall, he's signed through 2019, when he'll be 38.

I'm all for waiting on 2013 and then nothing really happens like this year. Let's wait til 2014 and nothing happens. 2015 it is, oh wait. This could be the new trend for us. But seriously our team has needed some sort of shake up these last 3 years via trade or something. Come on Kenny....

I'm definetly not for wasting Cap Space but I really don't want to wait another whole year to get a high profile player to help this team. I want another Stanley Cup and I want it now. We're already stuck with who we've signed this season but if we can make a trade this coming season maybe at the deadline to help us get better and maybe even clear some cap space for the following season than I'd be all for that but I just don't want to see the Wings lose their Repuation as a dominant team and a team that can still Win a Cup!!