• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
evilmrt

Avs hockey journalist/blogger killed in cinema massacre

Rate this topic

Moved out to Denver two weeks ago, was pretty devastated to read about this this morning. Very somber mood in the city today. So senseless.

I moved out of Denver two years ago. It was a great place to live but Colorado in general just has an "on edge" vibe about it. Having lived there it does not surprise me when I hear something like this happened. 90% of the people are friendly and fun but the nut-jobs just seem to take extremity to a new level. It's a lot like Portland or Oakland in that regard. Violence is everywhere and it's a shame anyone including the pretty young blogger had to suffer such a tragic ending to their lives.

I moved out of Denver two years ago. It was a great place to live but Colorado in general just has an "on edge" vibe about it. Having lived there it does not surprise me when I hear something like this happened. 90% of the people are friendly and fun but the nut-jobs just seem to take extremity to a new level. It's a lot like Portland or Oakland in that regard. Violence is everywhere and it's a shame anyone including the pretty young blogger had to suffer such a tragic ending to their lives.

I think the much of the Western states are becoming like that to a large degree. Arizona is exactly the same. You're more isolated and removed, somewhat, from the East which makes up 2/3rds of the population. Individualism is the name of the game out here, and crazy people have more room to develop into something dangerous, like we sadly keep seeing.

Back on to hockey....I'm surprised that I don't see a statement from the Colorado Avalanche about all of this. They really stood with the community during the Columbine shootings.

That's interesting. I was at U of M during 9/11 and the most traumatic part of that whole day for me was watching people frantically trying to get in touch with their loved ones back in NY but not being able to get through on cells and not knowing if their loved ones were safe. I wonder if the obsession with social media also has to do with a need to be provided multiple outlets to contact others in those types of situations in addition to the need to document proof of their existence?

Either way, what a senseless and devastating tragedy. My thoughts go out to all the family and friends grieving today.

I was at U of M in 2001, also. That's funny you mention people calling their loved ones on cells because that's the thing that always sticks with me. I overslept a bit and woke up at 9:05am (no class until 11:30am). So of course I started watching CNN, but nothing seemed real at all. Then I eventually let to walk through the Diag (not knowing if class would be cancelled), and I saw girls in every direction hysterically calling friends and family in New York, also walking to class. Then it was real.

Regardless of how you feel about the death penalty, I hope this guy rots in a jail with a long, unfulfilling life. Death is too easy for some people.

I think the much of the Western states are becoming like that to a large degree. Arizona is exactly the same. You're more isolated and removed, somewhat, from the East which makes up 2/3rds of the population. Individualism is the name of the game out here, and crazy people have more room to develop into something dangerous, like we sadly keep seeing.

Back on to hockey....I'm surprised that I don't see a statement from the Colorado Avalanche about all of this. They really stood with the community during the Columbine shootings.

It's tough to make sweeping generalizations on people based on where they live, but there are elements of truth in that assessment. But Toronto isn't like that, and they had a shooting there too that she was nearby. Just takes one nut-job I guess.

anybody see him in his court appearance today? looked all kinds of unstable.

a buddy of mine works at the prison in mid-michigan, said people like that dont get fed, or have any communication with anybody. that would suck, which he deserves.

anybody seen "law abiding citizen"? ya, we should do that.