• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
jroc86

Bouwmeester opinions? Potential trades? *merged*

Rate this topic

And Bobby Ryan isn't Rick Nash, but we're talking about the former in the new thread about the latter.

We need to trade for a top-pairing defenseman. Some people say Bouwmeester. I say Girardi. Maybe Girardi would cost more - but Nash probably would've cost us a lot more than Ryan would cost us.

Wait, why am I defending this?

I'd love it if the price Feaster would ask for were realistic. But it won't be because he's an ego maniac, I can envision the conversation starting with "Ok Ken, so how about that Nyquist kid, oh and that Smith kid."

Bouwmeester, despite his redonk cap hit, would fill the void of Lidstrom about as well as we'll find at this point. 6'4, elite skater, needs a change of scenery like it's going out of style. If not for Feaster as Calgary's GM, I think this could happen. As it stands, probably not going too.

Edited by Detroit # 1 Fan

idk,but still thinks he's among the most overrated players in the league.

Overrated? or overpaid?

I don't know that anyone thinks he's Norris worthy or anything.

Honestly I don't see enough of his play to know if he's actually not that good or if he just gets a ton of grief because he's not good enough to warrant his contract.

Not for the contract he has. He's not bad overall. Just not good enough to justify his contract, imo.

How would you guys feel about Scott Hannan?

Wouldn't hate it, but I'd rather have Boumeester to be honest, even with his higher salary... His higher salary might actually work FOR us, as it would likely lower the return in a trade, and we could get him without giving up any big assets, that's one of the things I like the most about the potential of trading for JBo... We have the cap, he only has 2 years on the deal, so it's not an albatross, and like I said, probably low trade cost... For the right price, I hope this actually happens

Guest Crymson

For a guy that sucks so much - how does he still manage over 25 min of ice team each night?

He plays first-pairing minutes because Calgary's d-corps sucks, and he has the stamina to handle those minutes.

I tried to find this one picture of Bouwmeester where the caption reads something along the lines of 'I am tough to play against' but was unable to. I did however stumble upon these two gems while searching...

maude3.jpghipster-feaster-meme-generator-drafting-good-is-too-mainstream-656628.jpg

:lol:

Edited by atodaso

Haven't weighed in on Bouwmeester yet, so here it goes.

PROS - The Wings have two things that would make a move like this seem reasonable - (1) A good deal of cap space and (so far) nowhere to use it; (2) A dire need of another Top 4 defenseman after the loss Lidstrom and Stuart.

High cap hit ($6.6 million) or not, Bouwmeester's deal only has two years left. Additional deals come off the books next season, including Filppula, Cleary, and White (though some of the UFA's may be re-signed or traded). We could afford this deal and acquire a large defenseman with a history of past success at two seasons of his physical prime (he's 28).

Oh, and by the way, he hasn't missed ONE GAME since the lockout. Seriously. Played 82 games from 2005 to 2012. Amazing.

CONS - Here's the thing: some people have mentioned that he plays 25 minutes a game as a GOOD thing. While that is true from a stamina perspective, it's pretty frightening that this guy gets that many minutes a game and is only a 24-29 point per year player (with 3-5 goals). One assumes he got plenty of power play time, as well. The crappy Calgary offense could be blamed for part of that, but it doesn't make you feel comfortable about acquiring him...

And since it's a trade (and a 2-year, not a 1-year rental), we would have to give up something to get him. Names like Flip, Franzen, Nyquist and Smith were often tossed around for Nash or Ryan, would you want to lose guys like that for Bouwmeester. I don't know.

There's also the fact that Bouwmeester's teams have always been BAD, and these are teams where he's asked to play a significant role. I don't think that's coincidental. Look at the impact a Pronger or Chara-type guy had on Edmonton, Philly, or Boston. Instant credibility as Stanley Cup contenders. And those guys were similarly compensated for their services compared to what Bouwmeester makes. So I don't think it's automatic that we could just plug him into a winning team and expect better results.

Edited by StormJH1

Guest Crymson

Smith is untouchable, but one of Filppula, Franzen or Nyqvist + pick I think is fair for Bouwmeester.

I'm not sure if you realize how much of a monumental overpayment that would be for Bouwmeester. Feaster would be turning somersaults.

I'm not sure if you realize how much of a monumental overpayment that would be for Bouwmeester. Feaster would be turning somersaults.

Could be, but then again top four defensemen will not come cheap, even if they have a big contract. The question was if I'd be willing to part with any players mentioned in the Nash deal, and as stated, I would.

I'd rather sign a depth defenceman off the FA market like Kubina, Rozival, or Jurcina. All big RH shooting defenceman, and hopefully 1 of them can fill the defensive void left when Stuart went back to California.

Unless Bouwmeester comes at a very small price, meaning no Franzen or Flip, then I'm not interested. We have enough left side defence, the only RH we have is White.

You should be able to get Bo for the likes of Kindl, Mursak (or Emmerton or Miller) and a pick... Calgary wants to unload him, and the cap relief is part of the deal... That's part of the reason he's so intriguing to me, low cost...

To Detroit:

Jay Bouwmeester

To Calgary:

Jakub Kindl

Cory Emmerton

Pick

Sign Jim Vandermeer, and the defense looks like this:

Kronwall-Bouwmeester

Quincey-White

Ericsson-B.Smith

Vandermeer

I can dig it.

To Detroit:

Jay Bouwmeester

To Calgary:

Jakub Kindl

Cory Emmerton

Pick

Sign Jim Vandermeer, and the defense looks like this:

Kronwall-Bouwmeester

Quincey-White

Ericsson-B.Smith

Vandermeer

I can dig it.

Agreed completely, that would be a very big improvement!

I think Kindl still has a ton of upside, and I think it would benefit him too for a new opportunity and I think he'd fit in Calgary's run and gun system better than our puck possession system and I think JBo, just the opposite... In the long run, I think it'd be win-win situation

Agreed completely, that would be a very big improvement!

I think Kindl still has a ton of upside, and I think it would benefit him too for a new opportunity and I think he'd fit in Calgary's run and gun system better than our puck possession system and I think JBo, just the opposite... In the long run, I think it'd be win-win situation

He'll likely get more of an apportunity in Calgary. I wouldn't mind Bouwmeester. He's not my favorite, and his contract is big, but we need someone on defense to fill the void left by Lidstrom's retirement.

He'll likely get more of an apportunity in Calgary. I wouldn't mind Bouwmeester. He's not my favorite, and his contract is big, but we need someone on defense to fill the void left by Lidstrom's retirement.

My thoughts exactly, he wouldn't be my first choice, but I think he'd really flourish here and fill an obvious hole... and worst case, if it doesn't work out, it's only a 2 year deal... relatively low risk-high reward situation in my mind...

My thoughts exactly, he wouldn't be my first choice, but I think he'd really flourish here and fill an obvious hole... and worst case, if it doesn't work out, it's only a 2 year deal... relatively low risk-high reward situation in my mind...

Agreed. Calgary is gonna want a defenseman in return, and I think Kindl is expendable. We can bring Vandermeer in for the year. If not Vandermeer, its been reported that Chicago is looking to deal Steve Montador because they've got a surplus of NHL-calibre defensemen. I think a pick might get that deal done.