• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
jroc86

Bouwmeester opinions? Potential trades? *merged*

Rate this topic

I have to disagree with you there buddy, I'm not willing to take on that cap hit for JBO no matter what. There are guys with big salaries worth taking a chance on (Semin) and guys were you know exactly what you're going to get. Even if Bouwmeester turned into the same guy he was in Florida (doubtful) he still isn't worth that money. Peole thought Wiz and Erhoff's contracts were bad, but at least they've each scored 50 pts. in their careers, something JBO can't say. For his production to salary ratio you might as well just burn about two million dollars because you're certainly not going to get any use out of it if you're spending on that bum.

Note: Last season 44 defensemen scored more points than JBO, of those 43 had a better plus minus (only Mark Streit's was worse). Furthermore, only Brian Campbell, Chara, and Drew Doughty had a higher cap hit. That means 41 defensemen in the league scored more, cost less, and played better defense than JBO. Why would anyone want this guy for this money? Or, another way to look at it is that you're getting (at best) the 44th best defenseman in the league and paying him as if he's top five in the league (top four actually). Really bad idea.

Edited by kipwinger

It won't be.

let me ask you this, even if the price was nothing, would you be willing to spend half of our available cap space on Bouwmeester? And we'll say he puts up forty two points, which was close to his average in FL I think, and plays his typical 82 games and -5 rating?

Guest The Axe

let me ask you this, even if the price was nothing, would you be willing to spend half of our available cap space on Bouwmeester? And we'll say he puts up forty two points, which was close to his average in FL I think, and plays his typical 82 games and -5 rating?

Only if its Franzen and picks. Not Flip.

I don't think it wise to trade for Bouwmeester, even with our defense the way it is. We have depth up front, yes, but not in the capacity that other teams are interested in. We have two anchors in Zetterberg and Datsyuk, two strong complimentary players in Franzen and Filppulla, and after that we have won't-look-completely-out-of-place in Cleary, Bert, or Sammuelson, and who-knows-what in Nyqvuist and Brunner. Not exactly an excess of skill to work with. The bottom six, however, is flooded. Unfortunately bottom six players don't get you talent on Bouwmeester's level. I don't know that its worth it to trade either Franzen or Filppulla for a top defensman at this point. We'll round out our blue line, but then our top six bears the hole.