• Please log in to reply
351 replies to this topic

#61 F.Michael

F.Michael

Old School Dynamic Duo

• HoF Booster
  • 7,587 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 09:06 PM

Bouwmeester sucks. Just ask Calgary. The fact that Calgary is not a playoff team accounts for neither his frequent defensive errors nor his atrocious offensive numbers.

For a guy that sucks so much - how does he still manage over 25 min of ice team each night?

'Evolution' created by Offsides

#62 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 16,944 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 09:38 PM

idk,but still thinks he's among the most overrated players in the league.

Overrated? or overpaid?

I don't know that anyone thinks he's Norris worthy or anything.

Honestly I don't see enough of his play to know if he's actually not that good or if he just gets a ton of grief because he's not good enough to warrant his contract.

#63 Bring Back The Bruise Bros

Bring Back The Bruise Bros

RIP Probie

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,691 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 09:46 PM

Not for the contract he has. He's not bad overall. Just not good enough to justify his contract, imo.

How would you guys feel about Scott Hannan?
"Ice hockey is a form of disorderly conduct in which the score is kept."

RIP Bob Probert
RIP Wade Belak
RIP Derek Boogaard
RIP Rick Rypien

#64 stevkrause

stevkrause

Legend

• Bronze Booster
  • 5,236 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 10:26 PM

Not for the contract he has. He's not bad overall. Just not good enough to justify his contract, imo.

How would you guys feel about Scott Hannan?

Wouldn't hate it, but I'd rather have Boumeester to be honest, even with his higher salary... His higher salary might actually work FOR us, as it would likely lower the return in a trade, and we could get him without giving up any big assets, that's one of the things I like the most about the potential of trading for JBo... We have the cap, he only has 2 years on the deal, so it's not an albatross, and like I said, probably low trade cost... For the right price, I hope this actually happens

All I have to say about Holland and our off-season:

Here in this thread

Here in this one as well

Here in this one too

and finally

Here

Holland is a damn good GM. period.

#65 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 12:02 AM

For a guy that sucks so much - how does he still manage over 25 min of ice team each night?

He plays first-pairing minutes because Calgary's d-corps sucks, and he has the stamina to handle those minutes.

#66 atodaso

atodaso

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 671 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 05:23 AM

I tried to find this one picture of Bouwmeester where the caption reads something along the lines of 'I am tough to play against' but was unable to. I did however stumble upon these two gems while searching...

Posted ImagePosted Image

:lol:

Edited by atodaso, 24 July 2012 - 05:37 AM.

#67 St. Michael (the Red Wing)

St. Michael (the Red Wing)

Heavenly With the Puck

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,822 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 11:32 AM

hahaha

#68 StormJH1

StormJH1

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 702 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 12:24 PM

Haven't weighed in on Bouwmeester yet, so here it goes.

PROS - The Wings have two things that would make a move like this seem reasonable - (1) A good deal of cap space and (so far) nowhere to use it; (2) A dire need of another Top 4 defenseman after the loss Lidstrom and Stuart.

High cap hit ($6.6 million) or not, Bouwmeester's deal only has two years left. Additional deals come off the books next season, including Filppula, Cleary, and White (though some of the UFA's may be re-signed or traded). We could afford this deal and acquire a large defenseman with a history of past success at two seasons of his physical prime (he's 28).

Oh, and by the way, he hasn't missed ONE GAME since the lockout. Seriously. Played 82 games from 2005 to 2012. Amazing.

CONS - Here's the thing: some people have mentioned that he plays 25 minutes a game as a GOOD thing. While that is true from a stamina perspective, it's pretty frightening that this guy gets that many minutes a game and is only a 24-29 point per year player (with 3-5 goals). One assumes he got plenty of power play time, as well. The crappy Calgary offense could be blamed for part of that, but it doesn't make you feel comfortable about acquiring him...

And since it's a trade (and a 2-year, not a 1-year rental), we would have to give up something to get him. Names like Flip, Franzen, Nyquist and Smith were often tossed around for Nash or Ryan, would you want to lose guys like that for Bouwmeester. I don't know.

There's also the fact that Bouwmeester's teams have always been BAD, and these are teams where he's asked to play a significant role. I don't think that's coincidental. Look at the impact a Pronger or Chara-type guy had on Edmonton, Philly, or Boston. Instant credibility as Stanley Cup contenders. And those guys were similarly compensated for their services compared to what Bouwmeester makes. So I don't think it's automatic that we could just plug him into a winning team and expect better results.

Edited by StormJH1, 24 July 2012 - 12:26 PM.

#69 RyanBarnes!

RyanBarnes!

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 5,949 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 02:19 PM

Smith is untouchable, but one of Filppula, Franzen or Nyqvist + pick I think is fair for Bouwmeester.
"Joey (Kocur) has no fear" -Lyndon Byers
"Empty-net goals are for homos" -Al Iafrate

#70 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 02:35 PM

Smith is untouchable, but one of Filppula, Franzen or Nyqvist + pick I think is fair for Bouwmeester.

I'm not sure if you realize how much of a monumental overpayment that would be for Bouwmeester. Feaster would be turning somersaults.

#71 RyanBarnes!

RyanBarnes!

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 5,949 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 02:41 PM

I'm not sure if you realize how much of a monumental overpayment that would be for Bouwmeester. Feaster would be turning somersaults.

Could be, but then again top four defensemen will not come cheap, even if they have a big contract. The question was if I'd be willing to part with any players mentioned in the Nash deal, and as stated, I would.
"Joey (Kocur) has no fear" -Lyndon Byers
"Empty-net goals are for homos" -Al Iafrate

#72 FlashyG

FlashyG

1st Line All-Star

• HoF Booster
  • 1,147 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 02:49 PM

I'd rather sign a depth defenceman off the FA market like Kubina, Rozival, or Jurcina. All big RH shooting defenceman, and hopefully 1 of them can fill the defensive void left when Stuart went back to California.

Unless Bouwmeester comes at a very small price, meaning no Franzen or Flip, then I'm not interested. We have enough left side defence, the only RH we have is White.

#73 stevkrause

stevkrause

Legend

• Bronze Booster
  • 5,236 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 05:15 PM

You should be able to get Bo for the likes of Kindl, Mursak (or Emmerton or Miller) and a pick... Calgary wants to unload him, and the cap relief is part of the deal... That's part of the reason he's so intriguing to me, low cost...

Here in this thread

Here in this one as well

Here in this one too

and finally

Here

#74 Bring Back The Bruise Bros

RIP Probie

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,691 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 06:43 PM

You should be able to get Bo for the likes of Kindl, Mursak (or Emmerton or Miller) and a pick... Calgary wants to unload him, and the cap relief is part of the deal... That's part of the reason he's so intriguing to me, low cost...

To Detroit:

Jay Bouwmeester

To Calgary:

Jakub Kindl
Cory Emmerton
Pick

Sign Jim Vandermeer, and the defense looks like this:

Kronwall-Bouwmeester
Quincey-White
Ericsson-B.Smith
Vandermeer

I can dig it.

RIP Bob Probert
RIP Wade Belak
RIP Derek Boogaard
RIP Rick Rypien

#75 stevkrause

stevkrause

Legend

• Bronze Booster
  • 5,236 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 06:52 PM

To Detroit:

Jay Bouwmeester

To Calgary:

Jakub Kindl
Cory Emmerton
Pick

Kronwall-Bouwmeester
Quincey-White
Ericsson-B.Smith
Vandermeer

I can dig it.

Agreed completely, that would be a very big improvement!

I think Kindl still has a ton of upside, and I think it would benefit him too for a new opportunity and I think he'd fit in Calgary's run and gun system better than our puck possession system and I think JBo, just the opposite... In the long run, I think it'd be win-win situation

Here in this thread

Here in this one as well

Here in this one too

and finally

Here

#76 Bring Back The Bruise Bros

RIP Probie

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,691 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 06:55 PM

Agreed completely, that would be a very big improvement!

I think Kindl still has a ton of upside, and I think it would benefit him too for a new opportunity and I think he'd fit in Calgary's run and gun system better than our puck possession system and I think JBo, just the opposite... In the long run, I think it'd be win-win situation

He'll likely get more of an apportunity in Calgary. I wouldn't mind Bouwmeester. He's not my favorite, and his contract is big, but we need someone on defense to fill the void left by Lidstrom's retirement.

RIP Bob Probert
RIP Wade Belak
RIP Derek Boogaard
RIP Rick Rypien

#77 stevkrause

stevkrause

Legend

• Bronze Booster
  • 5,236 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 06:58 PM

He'll likely get more of an apportunity in Calgary. I wouldn't mind Bouwmeester. He's not my favorite, and his contract is big, but we need someone on defense to fill the void left by Lidstrom's retirement.

My thoughts exactly, he wouldn't be my first choice, but I think he'd really flourish here and fill an obvious hole... and worst case, if it doesn't work out, it's only a 2 year deal... relatively low risk-high reward situation in my mind...

Here in this thread

Here in this one as well

Here in this one too

and finally

Here

#78 Bring Back The Bruise Bros

RIP Probie

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,691 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 07:01 PM

My thoughts exactly, he wouldn't be my first choice, but I think he'd really flourish here and fill an obvious hole... and worst case, if it doesn't work out, it's only a 2 year deal... relatively low risk-high reward situation in my mind...

Agreed. Calgary is gonna want a defenseman in return, and I think Kindl is expendable. We can bring Vandermeer in for the year. If not Vandermeer, its been reported that Chicago is looking to deal Steve Montador because they've got a surplus of NHL-calibre defensemen. I think a pick might get that deal done.

RIP Bob Probert
RIP Wade Belak
RIP Derek Boogaard
RIP Rick Rypien

#79 Hatethedrake!

Hatethedrake!

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,496 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 07:06 PM

To Detroit:

Jay Bouwmeester

To Calgary:

Jakub Kindl
Cory Emmerton
Pick

Kronwall-Bouwmeester
Quincey-White
Ericsson-B.Smith
Vandermeer

I can dig it.

I can dig the JBO deal. Vandermeer doesn't seem like a Kenny Holland signing though.
Jordan Tootoo will wreck shop.

We need someone like Parise that can penetrate the box.-blueadams

#80 Bring Back The Bruise Bros

RIP Probie

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,691 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 07:10 PM

I can dig the JBO deal. Vandermeer doesn't seem like a Kenny Holland signing though.

We're gonna need a 7th defenseman, and Ken likes to bring in players that are under the radar. Not many people saw the Mike Commodore signing coming last year. There are options besides Vandermeer out there. Who would you like to see us get as a 7th D-man?

RIP Bob Probert
RIP Wade Belak
RIP Derek Boogaard
RIP Rick Rypien