• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#1 blueadams

blueadams

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,012 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 11:28 AM

I'm not an ESPN insider, so I can't read the entire article. If someone here who is wouldn't mind posting the entire article, that'd be great. I found 1-16 on another message board here: http://www.fvsports....86099&p=2921701. Detroit is not included in that top 16, and I've read elsewhere that we were ranked behind a team in the 20's.

Not that ESPN knows much about hockey, but this certainly isn't good news.

#2 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 11:32 AM

The Wings prospect pool was rated in the top ten last season by several entities last season, so I question the validity of your source.

#3 arag

arag

1st Line Sniper

• HoF Booster
  • 750 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 11:35 AM

Nothing new here.

#4 Nev

Nev

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,038 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 11:36 AM

Yeah, but they probably included Smith and Nyquist in that list - last year they were prospects, now they're roster players.

Not that it means much, how some journalist ranks our prospect pool. Then again we all know that after the 2 mentioned above we don't have any real blue-chippers.
"If I can be totally honest, it's not a lot of guys you get impressed by. Actually, it's no one else but him. From the bench, to see what move he makes -- you're like, 'I wish I could do that.' Sometimes you sit on the bench and just think, 'wow,' and you look over to the other bench and they sit there and shake their heads, too. He has great, great skills. I'm probably not going to play with another player who has the kind of skills he has." Mikael Samuelsson on Pavel Datsyuk

#5 Zetts

Zetts

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 963 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 11:45 AM

Yeah, but they probably included Smith and Nyquist in that list - last year they were prospects, now they're roster players.

Not that it means much, how some journalist ranks our prospect pool. Then again we all know that after the 2 mentioned above we don't have any real blue-chippers.

Prospect pools are pretty big though...2 players shouldn't make the difference between top ten and bottom ten.

The vast majority of these rankings are crap. I do agree though, we don't have a great system of prospects.

#6 mmamolo

mmamolo

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,809 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 11:50 AM

Personally, I dont really care what ESPN says about the Wings prospect pool. The way I see I, along with a lot of other people, felt the Wings had a strong propect pool before this article came out and now that the article is out I still think the Wings have strong prospect pool. Nothig has changed except we are now aware of someone else's opinion. To me, it's not news.
Posted Imagewww.unsportsmanlike.ca

#7 Z Winged Dangler

Z Winged Dangler

Part 3: Return of the Hammer Hands

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,167 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 11:52 AM

ESPN is the least credible, knowledgable source out there for hockey. No worries on this end.

Free darkmanx!

"I play hockey, but I am not very good.  Can someone please tell me what it would take to sign with the Wings ? I can use a million or two."  ~ arag

#8 FlashyG

FlashyG

1st Line All-Star

• HoF Booster
  • 1,143 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 11:53 AM

Hockey's Future ranks the Wings at #10
Hockey Prospectus ranks the WIngs at #3

I think both of them are better sources when it comes to hockey than ESPN.

#9 number9

number9

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,185 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 11:59 AM

It's ESPN people.....they probably think Yzerman was a goalie. I trust them as a source on hockey very very little.

Like somebody said too, Smith and Goose were prolly not included and they're pretty much our only prospects that have shown they are what they're worth on NHL ice. A lot of teams have 3 or 4 blue chips and the rest of their prospects suck. We don't have any blue chips right now, but very few of our many prospects suck....and a lot of those guys are boom or bust type players. They could turn out to be nothing, or they could turn out to be phenoms.

#10 Jesusberg

Jesusberg

1st Line All-Star

• Gold Booster
  • 1,590 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 12:32 PM

It's ESPN. The Wings have one of the strongest groups of forward prospects in the league.

#11 Nightfall

Nightfall

My goal is to deny yours!

• Gold Booster
  • 3,738 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 12:44 PM

I agree with everyone here. Its ESPN. ESPN is the same network that would delay or cancel showings of hockey on their network for golf back in the day. One day, I turned on a scheduled game only to find professional poker on instead. ESPN is not the destination for hockey news. It never was, and it probably never will be.
Christopher Brian Dudek
My Domain

#12 hooon

hooon

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,212 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 12:45 PM

Not even gonna click on the link.

Its ESPN. If they say we're bad it probably means the Wings prospect pool is great.
Posted Image

#13 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 16,867 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 12:55 PM

Hockey's Future ranks the Wings at #10
Hockey Prospectus ranks the WIngs at #3

I think both of them are better sources when it comes to hockey than ESPN.

The funny part is that the guy who ranked them 3rd on Hockey Prospectus is also a prospects writer for ESPN.

Admittedly I'm not super familiar with Detroit's prospects, but third?? Seems unlikely compared to the high drafts other teams have had year after year.

#14 amato

amato

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,620 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 12:55 PM

It's ESPN.

Datsyukian

Dat·syu·ki·an [dat-soo-kee-uh n]

adjective

1. When your moves are so amazing and beyond reason, the only way to describe them is "datsyukian."

#15 kipwinger

kipwinger

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,542 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 01:05 PM

Here's the text from the ESPN rankings. Take it with a grain of salt, it's fairly obvious they've got their heads up their asses over at ESPN

"
18. Detroit Red Wings (Previous Ranking: 6)

With a win-now mentality, the Wings have spun off a few first-round picks lately to acquire roster players. Combine that with their strong finishes in the standings and they haven't had many huge scores from the draft lately. Potential? Yes. Sure hits? No.
Now, following the graduation of Brendan Smith and Gustav Nyquist to the big club, they fall down our rankings a bit. However, by sticking to their philosophy of drafting high-skill players, they have a number of prospects with solid potential, just no imminent stars. Czech Forward Martin Frk (Halifax-QMJHL) was the most recent example, selected in the second round this year. He now joins a system with Tomas Jurco (Saint John-QMJHL), Calle Jarnkrok (SWE) and D-men Xavier Ouellet (Blainville-Boisbriand-QMJHL) and Ryan Sproul (Sault Ste. Marie-OHL). Goaltender Petr Mrazek (Ottawa-OHL) has really come into his own. Could there be a diamond in the rough among this group? Detroit has found them in the past.
Sleeper Prospect: Mattias Backman, D, (SWE) (fifth round/2011)
Some players are just smart enough to figure out a way to get to the NHL, and his character, to go along with his overall improvement in skating, gives him a real chance.

GMRwings:  "Well, in other civilized countries, 16 years old isn't considered underage.  For instance, I believe the age of consent is 16 in Canada.  There's some US states where it's 16 as well.  

Get off the high horse.  Not like she was 10."

"Some girls are 17 even though they look 25."

#16 pazzloski

pazzloski

Top Prospect

• Pip
  • 82 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 01:05 PM

You have to pay to read the rest of the article? Nice work espn.

#17 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 16,867 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 01:07 PM

Here's the text from the ESPN rankings. Take it with a grain of salt, it's fairly obvious they've got their heads up their asses over at ESPN

"
18. Detroit Red Wings (Previous Ranking: 6)

With a win-now mentality, the Wings have spun off a few first-round picks lately to acquire roster players. Combine that with their strong finishes in the standings and they haven't had many huge scores from the draft lately. Potential? Yes. Sure hits? No.
Now, following the graduation of Brendan Smith and Gustav Nyquist to the big club, they fall down our rankings a bit. However, by sticking to their philosophy of drafting high-skill players, they have a number of prospects with solid potential, just no imminent stars. Czech Forward Martin Frk (Halifax-QMJHL) was the most recent example, selected in the second round this year. He now joins a system with Tomas Jurco (Saint John-QMJHL), Calle Jarnkrok (SWE) and D-men Xavier Ouellet (Blainville-Boisbriand-QMJHL) and Ryan Sproul (Sault Ste. Marie-OHL). Goaltender Petr Mrazek (Ottawa-OHL) has really come into his own. Could there be a diamond in the rough among this group? Detroit has found them in the past.
Sleeper Prospect: Mattias Backman, D, (SWE) (fifth round/2011)
Some players are just smart enough to figure out a way to get to the NHL, and his character, to go along with his overall improvement in skating, gives him a real chance.

They at least give a decent explanation of their ranking, even if it does seem low.

The guy who ranks them third on hockey prospectus doesn't really give a good indication as to why. He makes broad statements but doesn't name any of the current prospects.

#18 Konnan511

Konnan511

#FreePulkkinen

• HoF Booster
  • 10,295 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 01:09 PM

The funny part is that the guy who ranked them 3rd on Hockey Prospectus is also a prospects writer for ESPN.

Admittedly I'm not super familiar with Detroit's prospects, but third?? Seems unlikely compared to the high drafts other teams have had year after year.

As someone who watches griffins games and our international bretheren and lives across the street from where the prospects train in TC, I can without a doubt say our pool is that good. We don't have the high quality star player or two, but we have massive quality depth with a slew of high end players. Our last two drafts have been great and the entire hockey world sees it. I'm not worried one bit about our prospects.
The Best Of BC
HankthaTank
- Squirrels, they hate to be thrown. / Why is the magical unicorn named Brian... Jedi - I just downloaded the "kids" book, "Go the F--k to Sleep" as narrated by Samuel L. Jackson on my kindle. I am now ready to be a daddy. / *Checks Router* No, I'm positive I didn't hit the "Wings Defense Sucks" button. Electrophile - I'm just glad the Wings were able to win despite the Curse of Brian. ACallToArms - I think Trey needs to put something about payroll tax and deferred income in his sig... Edicius - I'd rather [have] a soundbite of me saying "I like (man sausage)" rather than "I like Crosby".

#19 dirtydangles

dirtydangles

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,690 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 01:10 PM

we a LOT of decent prospects - guys that should make the nhl. although none were drafted as a sure stud at their position, most have been reaching for their potential. we have many kids that have a chance, more than that uneducated list talks about. And no, Backman is not our only "sleeper" lol if you want to consider him that.

Is there a kickstarter campaign for Jakub Kindl to never play another NHL game?

#20 xtrememachine1

xtrememachine1

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,427 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 01:14 PM

I have a feeling this ESPN link will be another one those kind of links that we pull up in 5 years and laugh about.