ESPN's NHL Team-Prospect Rankings...more bad news

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#21 CheliFan89

CheliFan89

Jr. Prospect

• 18 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 02:09 PM

Does ESPN even know #5 retired? If I want hockey news/analysis, ESPN is the last place I go

#22 FlashyG

FlashyG

1st Line All-Star

• HoF Booster
  • 1,148 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 02:16 PM

They at least give a decent explanation of their ranking, even if it does seem low.

The guy who ranks them third on hockey prospectus doesn't really give a good indication as to why. He makes broad statements but doesn't name any of the current prospects.

I thought he justified his rankings quite well with this response right here.

Seeing as Detroit's ranking is a if not the main point of contention as far as I can see, I may as well address it although I will have a more detailed DET write-up later in the summer.

As I said and as this quote outlines, DET doesn't have their Huberdeau, Galchenyuk or Strome. That bright light at the top of the system that is a roughly top 10 prospect in hockey. However the top of their system is still very strong, with several top 50 candidates.

I'm sure most people here likes Brendan Smith and can somewhat agree on his high prospect status. I could buy Smith as DET's top prospect, but I've asked 3 scouts to rank Smith, Jarnkrok and Nyquist and got 3 different answers and not because they didn't like any of them and I'd agree those three are tough to rank due to their high talent levels. I wasn't a big Jurco fan last year but heard glowing reports from anyone who saw him in the Q this year. Tatar is not along the talent lines of those four, but AHL scouts I've talked to also praise him quite a bit and he's a notably above-average prospect. Sheahan hasn't put up great numbers in the NCAA but he has a good two way game and in the 10 or so games I saw of him this year he showed significant offensive ability in flashes. Marchenko got hurt which was a shame but I think he would've shone at the WJC's and heard from an exec who would have taken him in the early to mid 2nd last year without the Russian factor. Ouellet has his issues, but his puck moving skills are tremendous and he logged heavy minutes. Sproul has a ton of talent, but is a work in progress. Tvrdon was a guy scouts thought would be a significant sleeper last year who slipped because of his injury and from seeing him and talking to scouts this year he's really been impressive. Almqvist I hoped would put up more points and he has his issues, but the raw puck moving skills and defensive awareness are very impressive. Pulkkinen I'm up and down on, but his talent level with the puck and his shot drive value. I don't even know Brunner that well and wasn't really factored in the ranking but I've heard solid things about him. I'm not even going to mention their 2012 class even though I thought it was just decent because I'm sure everyone is exhausted on draft info by now.

I don't mind a debate about this and I'm kind of used to all the creative things people can call me, but from what I see from going through the same motions I do for every system, there's a ton of talent there. Several well above-average prospects, several above-average ones, and a few that are quite talented but need work. I don't usually talk to scouts about ranking systems, but earlier in the year I heard from one that said he'd rank DET roughly around 5 and I've heard general optimism towards DET's pipeline whenever I've discussed it with industry sources. I really don't get why it's such a big deal and I see a very legitimate argument for them to be very high.

#23 Drake_Marcus

Drake_Marcus

Pariah

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,336 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 05:13 PM

The funny part is that the guy who ranked them 3rd on Hockey Prospectus is also a prospects writer for ESPN.

Admittedly I'm not super familiar with Detroit's prospects, but third?? Seems unlikely compared to the high drafts other teams have had year after year.

You have to read the guy's reasoning. Basically he's evaluating the entire pool itself, not the eliteness of one or two guys. He basically says that having 5 guys who are 7-8 out of 10 is better than 2 who are 9 out of 10.
Dedicated to lulz once lost:
Posted Image
Thanks TeeMan!

"We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas
of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage" --H.P. Lovecraft

#24 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,759 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 05:17 PM

It's rated number 1 here on LGW!

:clap:
According to my profile, my reputation is excellent. LOL.

#25 Echolalia

Echolalia

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,955 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 05:26 PM

Let's be honest. Nobody has any clue where any one team's prospects compare with others. One site says Wings are top 5, anothet says they're bottom five, another says middle of the pack. How do you rank something as vast and variable as "talent", or "intelligence", especially when there is absolutely no standardization. One kid comes from the CCHA, another from SEL, another from Juniors, another from AHL, and the amount of diversity that each kid faces within a league is immense as well. People try to justify their claims by "compensating" for trends in certain leagues like high scoring, or faster paced or whatever, but the truth is nobody knows what anyone will end up doing of anything. The only sure fire kids are the ones who are put immediately into the NHL, and they're never prospects.

#26 dobbles

dobbles

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 864 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 05:43 PM

i guess i can understand the ranking dropping if you take out smith and nyquist. they were indeed 2 of our best prospects. its not to say our cupboard is bare, but we have to remember that all teams have guys they are excited about. and unfortunately, outside of lottery players, you cant get truly excited about a player till he is at least in the ahl and playing well. fans too often cite numbers from juniors as some garuntee players will make it.

I love Maltby, but to say he wasn't a ****** is a dis-service to his career of douchebaggery.

#27 IllinoisRedWingsFan

IllinoisRedWingsFan

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 529 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 08:35 PM

ESPN is NOT a valid Hockey Source as far as I am concerned.

#28 Z Winged Dangler

Z Winged Dangler

Part 3: Return of the Hammer Hands

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,199 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 12:58 PM

It's ESPN. The Wings have one of the strongest groups of forward prospects in the league.

So hopefully Holland and the boys draft 7 Dmen this coming draft to help with McKee from this draft. Aside from potentially Smith, Sproul, Lashoff, McKee, Backman, maybe Almqvist, i'm not sure of how many dmen we have that will pan out. Yes, our forwards look good though.

"I play hockey, but I am not very good.  Can someone please tell me what it would take to sign with the Wings ? I can use a million or two."  ~ arag

Dan Cleary is an Xbox 360.  While good for a while, it's time for the new generation to take over.

#29 Bolgar

Bolgar

Jr. Prospect

• 21 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 02:12 PM

What do you guys think about anyone of our D prospects become top-4? I can see a lot of our F with sure potential to be top-6 but as for D, I can't figure out who's got the shot...

#30 FlashyG

FlashyG

1st Line All-Star

• HoF Booster
  • 1,148 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 02:35 PM

What do you guys think about anyone of our D prospects become top-4? I can see a lot of our F with sure potential to be top-6 but as for D, I can't figure out who's got the shot...

I'd say after the obvious one in Smith, the only other defenceman that should be a top 4 guy is Sproul. I didn't count any of this years draft picks since the defenceman we picked are completely unknown to me.

#31 St. Michael (the Red Wing)

St. Michael (the Red Wing)

Heavenly With the Puck

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,822 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 02:43 PM

the sad thing is ESPN broadcasts Basketball NOT Hockey unless it's the NCAA Tournament. Nuff said...

#32 Konnan511

Konnan511

#FreePulkkinen

• HoF Booster
  • 10,295 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 12:59 AM

I'd say after the obvious one in Smith, the only other defenceman that should be a top 4 guy is Sproul. I didn't count any of this years draft picks since the defenceman we picked are completely unknown to me.

XO is better than Sproul. XO will also most likely be on team Canada come the WJHC this winter as well.

We have a handful of great offense defensmen and a handful of good defensive defensmen as well.
The Best Of BC
HankthaTank
- Squirrels, they hate to be thrown. / Why is the magical unicorn named Brian... Jedi - I just downloaded the "kids" book, "Go the F--k to Sleep" as narrated by Samuel L. Jackson on my kindle. I am now ready to be a daddy. / *Checks Router* No, I'm positive I didn't hit the "Wings Defense Sucks" button. Electrophile - I'm just glad the Wings were able to win despite the Curse of Brian. ACallToArms - I think Trey needs to put something about payroll tax and deferred income in his sig... Edicius - I'd rather [have] a soundbite of me saying "I like (man sausage)" rather than "I like Crosby".

#33 PumpkinEscobar

PumpkinEscobar

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 464 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 03:21 PM

The Hockey News Yearbook has the Wings prospect pool at 21 out of 30

#34 PumpkinEscobar

PumpkinEscobar

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 464 posts