• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
cusimano_brothers

Visnovsky files NHLPA grievance to void NYI trade

Rate this topic

I saw this on the twitter feed for Spector's Hockey and I was about to post something about it.

Visnovsky could be a useful pick-up for the Wings. I imagine the Islanders may be willing to trade him after this grievance filing (then again, they kept Nabby around after he loudly proclaimed he wouldn't play for them).

The Islanders had to trade a 2nd round pick to the Ducks for him so maybe we could get him for the same price (even though and Islanders 2nd is nearly a Wings 1st).

If he does get traded again (and that's a big if, of course), I'd like to see the Wings add him to our lineup more than any forward whose name's been flying around lately. He's not the answer to all our problems, but he'd be a good stop-gap for our defense for a year or two.

1 year deal isn't too risky. still at age 35 and being 5 10' LH shot, we don't really need that rather than giving up a second that could be used to draft guys like ouellet and sproul

Actually I think he could be a perfect fit here.He's a very good puck moving and PP QB defense man.

If Kenny was ready to give a 1st for Quincey it would make sense to me to send a 2nd round pick for Lubo.

I saw this on the twitter feed for Spector's Hockey and I was about to post something about it.

Visnovsky could be a useful pick-up for the Wings. I imagine the Islanders may be willing to trade him after this grievance filing (then again, they kept Nabby around after he loudly proclaimed he wouldn't play for them).

The Islanders had to trade a 2nd round pick to the Ducks for him so maybe we could get him for the same price (even though and Islanders 2nd is nearly a Wings 1st).

Islanders will probably look for more considering that they needed to get a defensive asset and their second round pick would be a lot more valuable than ours.

From Newsday:

Lubomir Visnovsky, the veteran defenseman the Islanders acquired for a second-round pick on draft day in June, intends to stay in his home country of Slovakia for the remainder of this season, his agent told Newsday.

But the Islanders and the NHL don't plan on allowing that to happen. With just a few days until the new collective bargaining agreement is set to be ratified and training camps open before a 48-game regular season, the international incident could hurt the Isles' preparations.

I saw stuff on twitter saying that the KHL intends to honor the current NHL contracts. Meaning they will bar Visnovsky from continuing to play for Bratislava. Whether they actually do that or not remains to be seen. Lubomir could always just not play at all as well. He's shown he's very anti-isles at this point, and I doubt NYI really even wants him anymore. If they were smart they would trade him to a cup contender and get their 2nd round pick back, but they're not smart. The trade that brought him there in the first place was dumb on NYI's part. What does a 36 yr old vet have to offer a rebuilding team anyway? They already have Streit as a vet presence. He should have been traded to a cup contender to begin with. Would have gladly moved a 2nd round pick to bring to the D. Guess the Ducks would rather have a late 1st round pick than an early 3rd round pick though.

Why would we pick him up? He is doing this so he can stay in the KHL...

Right. From everything I heard he has no desire to play in NHL. If forced to choose between Islanders and not playing anywhere he might out for the latter. Another option mentioned was for him to retire from hockey, then unretire and sign with Slovan (his KHL team).

I guess I understand where Visnovsky is coming from on this but it still seems like a "Dick" move.I highly doubt the Isles would even trade him, they need to play hardball and tell him that he either honors his contract and plays for the Islanders or he doesnt play at all.

I guess I understand where Visnovsky is coming from on this but it still seems like a "Dick" move.I highly doubt the Isles would even trade him, they need to play hardball and tell him that he either honors his contract and plays for the Islanders or he doesnt play at all.

As a general rule (at least in civilian life) a person cannot be forced to work. If Visnovsky does not want to play he is within his right not to. He is not asking Islanders to pay him the remaining $3M as far as I know.

If he was still in Anaheim I bet he would be back stateside for the season. Seemed like he really just didn't want to go play on the island. While family I'm sure is a factor, it seems like he's just using it as his story so he doesn't have to stay, no I really just don't to play for that crap team. Nabokov situation.

IMO

As a general rule (at least in civilian life) a person cannot be forced to work. If Visnovsky does not want to play he is within his right not to. He is not asking Islanders to pay him the remaining $3M as far as I know.

And thats what I mean when I say " I guess I understand". However the Isles arent forcing him to work theyre just saying you have a contract with us and you should honor it, which is exactly right.

It seems like hes trying to circumvent the rules and choosing where he wants to play regardless of contract.

Not the type of defenseman we need. We already have one of the best soft-pucking moving defenses in the league. We need a shut down guy, or a young two-way defenseman. Hopefully Ericsson and Smith can develop into them, and hopefully we don't miss out on a trade defenseman that fits.

Man it must suck to be and Islanders fan, hopefully they can start keeping this talent that they are developing, wouldn't mind seeing them come out of the east.

And thats what I mean when I say " I guess I understand". However the Isles arent forcing him to work theyre just saying you have a contract with us and you should honor it, which is exactly right.

It seems like hes trying to circumvent the rules and choosing where he wants to play regardless of contract.

Well, NHL rules are not universal. If a player does not need the money he can always just quit the NHL and play for a beer league in his home town. Visnovsky might run into issues trying to continue to play in KHL.

I am not really a big fan of draft and trades without players consent. Player should be able to pick the place where he wants to play.