• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest Crymson

Predators match offer sheet to Shea Weber

Rate this topic

Guest Crymson

Per Twitter.

Edit: Confirmed by Predators website here.

Edited by Crymson

So Weber still cannot be traded for the next year, correct? Or is that only in effect if the Flyers sign him?

Whether or not they were able to trade him, I dont believe they would after having to pay that 13mil signing bonus on that contract.

I guess Weber will be able to eat if there is a strike this year with all that signing bonus money. :D

In all seriousness, I did not think the Preds would just let him go for 4 late round picks. This was the best move the Preds had.

So Weber still cannot be traded for the next year, correct? Or is that only in effect if the Flyers sign him?

Would have been disaster to lose him so I expected them to find money somehow.

This is why offer sheets are so rarely used.

Now Holmgren looks dumb for losing his patience on the trade front.

Granted, by matching, NSH owes Weber the initial $13M signing bonus but they are still able to trade Weber this season if, and only if, it is to PHI. Some may say Holmgren was dumb to Offer Sheet but it could end up working out none the less.

The trade lockout for the 1st year of the contract applies when the original team matches the offer, so in this case Weber is in Nashville for at least a year.

Guest Crymson

Granted, by matching, NSH owes Weber the initial $13M signing bonus but they are still able to trade Weber this season if, and only if, it is to PHI. Some may say Holmgren was dumb to Offer Sheet but it could end up working out none the less.

They're not allowed to trade him to anyone until July 24th, 2013.

So now after this season I will be looking for them to trade him.

They are going to pay him 27 million dollars over the next 366 days, I don't think think they'll be in a hurry to trade him unless he demands it.

Even that's unlikely since he has no NTC/NMC so demanding a trade could land him in an even worse spot.

No, by officially matching Nashville can't trade Weber for a full year after to anyone, including the Flyers. They could negotiate a change in compensation (in essense trade) with the Flyers & only the Flyers within the 7 day window they had to match or let Weber go for the draft picks. Now that they've matched, it's game over until the year is up.

They are going to pay him 27 million dollars over the next 366 days, I don't think think they'll be in a hurry to trade him unless he demands it.

Even that's unlikely since he has no NTC/NMC so demanding a trade could land him in an even worse spot.

The only incentive that can be worked into an offer sheet is the signing bonus. No trade/no movement clauses can't be included. Think Poile would flip him to Columbus as punishment or would he not send him to a "division rival"?

EDIT: People who know the CBA better than I do, clearly, had mentioned that Nashville & Weber can still work out a NTC if both parties want to. Think either will?

Edited by ogreslayer

It will be very, very interesting to see how this plays out. Weber gets his payday, but is stuck in Nashville. If he was just trying to up his salary, then all is well. However, if he really wanted out and a solid chance at winning it all, unless things change drastically down there, he's screwed. Can't wait to see which scenario unfolds.

It will be very, very interesting to see how this plays out. Weber gets his payday, but is stuck in Nashville. If he was just trying to up his salary, then all is well. However, if he really wanted out and a solid chance at winning it all, unless things change drastically down there, he's screwed. Can't wait to see which scenario unfolds.

Getting stuck in Nashville with their self-imposed salary cap means Weber, while getting paid, takes up a much greater percentage of their cap hit & will be surrounded by much less talent than he would be with a team that spends to the cap obviously. Have to believe that either Nashville plans to change their spending habits (doubtful) or that they do plan on finding a trading partner in one year that can give them more than the 4 #1's they would have gotten if they hadn't matched.

Wow, I don't know. Most people are going to see this as "Yay, Nashville kept a franchise player, Philly screwed up". I don't see this as a "win" for Nashville at all. From last year to this year, they have no Suter, and have to pay Weber significantly more with a burdensome long-term salary commitment. Plus, this whole "cloud" of "Where is Weber going?" hangs over the team all year again into the offseason.

Does anyone trust each other in this whole thing? Weber didn't trust Nashville mgmt to begin with, and they never paid him until they were absolutely forced to. The GM (and the fans) have a player that apparently wanted to play somewhere else because he signed an offer sheet with them.

Oh, and the Predators went from "promising young playoff team" to fighting for the 8th spot again with a solid goalie, ONE (not two) elite defensemen, no Radulov, and not much else.

If Weber truly wanted out of Nashville, you would have to think he wouldn't have signed a 14-year offer sheet with another team. Rationale being that it woudl be close to 100% that Nashville woudl match and he'd then have a 14 year contract with Nashville (doens't mean he's stuck there for 14 years, but you know....).

If Weber thought he'd be getting out of Nashville by signing an offer sheet, he got bad advice. From everything I've heard though, he has no issues with Nashville.

Getting stuck in Nashville with their self-imposed salary cap means Weber, while getting paid, takes up a much greater percentage of their cap hit & will be surrounded by much less talent than he would be with a team that spends to the cap obviously. Have to believe that either Nashville plans to change their spending habits (doubtful) or that they do plan on finding a trading partner in one year that can give them more than the 4 #1's they would have gotten if they hadn't matched.

I'm seeing a pattern here with the NHL where the fans and media uniformly seem to assume that something can't happen, and then it does because the players want it to. I think NHL players are evolving and learning to impose their will, not unlike what has happened with LeBron and the NBA.

Does anybody seriously think that Shea Weber cannot be traded after next July? Why, because of his contract? Minnesota just added TWO contracts of nearly the same size. What if Nashville is god-awful? What if Weber decides that he really doesn't want to play for Nashville and throws a hissy fit next summer. You're telling me there aren't other teams out there that would throw multiple #1's/prospects/NHL-ready talent for a 27-year old elite defenseman? The drama will play out for a third year in a row.