120 replies to this topic

#41 Salviaman

Salviaman

Tool + Red Wings = Bliss

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,284 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 04:13 PM

Weber just robbed Nashville lol
Think for yourself. Question authority. Throughout human history as our species has faced the frightening, terrorizing fact that we do not know who we are or where we are going in this ocean of chance, it has been the authorities, the political, the religious, the educational authorities who attempted to comfort us by giving us order, rules, regulations, informing, forming in our minds their view of reality. To think for yourself you must question authority and learn how to put yourself in a state of vulnerable, open mindedness, chaotic, confused vulnerability to inform yourself.

#42 Rivalred

Rivalred

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 7,260 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 04:23 PM

Good things do come to people who wait
D-Fence Avatar Win-O-Meter 8-1

#43 Barrie

Barrie

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,911 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 04:30 PM

Congrats to Canada on their acquisition of another (soon to be) team. Now where to put them????

(In my best Gary Bettman voice) No no, things are fine, the League is making the most money it's ever have. The interest in the NHL is at an all time high. None of our franchises are facing financial problems, because our CBA has been a huge success!
Lets Go:
Red Wings
Tigers
Roughriders
Lions
Spartans
Pistons

#44 LeftWinger

LeftWinger

42 years in Detroit! Time to spend the rest in paradise!

• Silver Booster
  • 8,579 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 04:44 PM

...and this soon to follow...Holland misses out on Bobby Ryan as this guarantees Ryan will be a Flyer if traded...f***!

Don't Be Jealous, But I Live Here...

www.thinkdunes.com

#45 e_prime

e_prime

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,674 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 04:46 PM

Question: If Nashville tanks this season and Weber does want out... what does it take to get Weber into a Detroit jersey next off-season?

My guess would be to get good ol' Stevie Y on the phone and work out a nice three way deal again.
In fact, I think maybe Holland should try this approach more frequently as so many teams seem unwilling trade with us.

...and this soon to follow...Holland misses out on Bobby Ryan as this guarantees Ryan will be a Flyer if traded...f***!

Dude you are *so* negative. ...and I can't believe you want to trade Flip over your new whipping boy "Franzine." ;)

Whoops. Just noticed Franzine is in the second option... which is still mystifying to me.

Edited by e_prime, 24 July 2012 - 04:50 PM.

(AtomicPunk @ February 4, 2010 - 12:16AM)

Imma let you finish, and your cap numbers are all good and all that, but imma let Kenny figure it out. Kenny's cap numbers were the best cap numbers this year.

#46 BigWillieStyle

BigWillieStyle

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 777 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 04:54 PM

I'm wondering if Weber will still be a perennial Norris Trophy contender without a partner like Suter to have his back. Kind of like the co-dependence of Keith and Seabrook. I don't even know who, of their d-men they can pair with him to be complimentary. Maybe today just became Klein's lucky day.

#47 predmonkee

predmonkee

Top Prospect

• Pip
  • 59 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 05:08 PM

No surprise here. Just listened to weber's agent do an interview with a Nashville radio station. Weber has no hard feelings and is happy to be a pred. His agent talked about the expiring CBA and how that influenced him signing the offer sheet.
This was a no brainier for nashville. They sent a message to the league that Nashville will not lose players due to money. This move, along with the signing of colin wilson today, puts Nashville over the cap floor. Ownership has said they will be a cap team, so I would imagine they are still looking at other possibilities. The preds have 13 returning forwards, 5 returning d-men, and Rinne in net. The preds finished 5th in the NHL last year so I'm not sure why everyone thinks the preds are gonna be a bad team.

#48 vladdy16

vladdy16

The rest are neophytes.

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 6,159 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 05:20 PM

Yeah, there's 14 million reasons why Weber would say he's happy to be a Pred still. Seriously, what else is the guy going to say? If he's not happy, he's locked in for at least the next year.
Can't wait to read the "Phoenix: I still think it's a hockey market" chapter of Gary Bettman's autobiography. I'm guessing it's going to be chapter 11.

- mjlegend 3/9/2011

#49 germanwing

germanwing

2nd Line Scorer

• Gold Booster
  • 573 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 05:27 PM

Yeah, there's 14 million reasons why Weber would say he's happy to be a Pred still. Seriously, what else is the guy going to say? If he's not happy, he's locked in for at least the next year.

There are 26 (or 27) million reasons the next year!
I agree, what else can he say? He wanted to leave NSH but had no choice!

#50 ogreslayer

ogreslayer

1st Line All-Star

• HoF Booster
  • 1,959 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 05:31 PM

Question: If Nashville tanks this season and Weber does want out... what does it take to get Weber into a Detroit jersey next off-season?

My guess would be to get good ol' Stevie Y on the phone and work out a nice three way deal again.
In fact, I think maybe Holland should try this approach more frequently as so many teams seem unwilling trade with us.

And then have teams refuse to trade with Tampa because they'll all think he's just a Wing flunky.

#51 BostonBruinsDan1924

BostonBruinsDan1924

Rookie

• Pip
  • 178 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 05:33 PM

Getting stuck in Nashville with their self-imposed salary cap means Weber, while getting paid, takes up a much greater percentage of their cap hit & will be surrounded by much less talent than he would be with a team that spends to the cap obviously. Have to believe that either Nashville plans to change their spending habits (doubtful) or that they do plan on finding a trading partner in one year that can give them more than the 4 #1's they would have gotten if they hadn't matched.

I think they can still sign bigger names, even with the huge cap hit Weber brings. I could be wrong, but I think they can still land a big name or a few.

#52 BostonBruinsDan1924

BostonBruinsDan1924

Rookie

• Pip
  • 178 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 05:51 PM

CapGeek: Shea Weber will have earned an average salary of $12.5M from 2011 through 2018 -- $87.5M over seven years.
http://www.capgeek.c...lay.php?id=1042

#53 WingsAlways

WingsAlways

Grind Line 2.0

• PipPip
  • 327 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 05:56 PM

The Preds just slammed Weber's head into the glass. Love it.

Weber just got Nashvilled!

Ha

And then have teams refuse to trade with Tampa because they'll all think he's just a Wing flunky.

And what happens when Stevie Y decides that he'd rather have so & so player for Tampa Bay and doesn't want to give them up to Detroit? The man's loyalty to his team knows no end...

"Wow Chicago, you've won four Stanley Cups? Me too! - Kris Draper"

#54 predmonkee

predmonkee

Top Prospect

• Pip
  • 59 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 06:19 PM

There are 26 (or 27) million reasons the next year!
I agree, what else can he say? He wanted to leave NSH but had no choice!

He did have a choice. He could have not signed the offer sheet. He's never said he wanted out of Nashville.

The Preds just slammed Weber's head into the glass. Love it.

If getting paid 27 million in the next year is getting smashed into the glass, then I'm lining up to get my head smashed also.

And be real, you don't love anything about this.

#55 Z Winged Dangler

Z Winged Dangler

Part 3: Return of the Hammer Hands

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,178 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 06:32 PM

Preds finish 9th in West next year and Weber asks for a trade followed by his preferred list.

Free darkmanx!

"I play hockey, but I am not very good.  Can someone please tell me what it would take to sign with the Wings ? I can use a million or two."  ~ arag

#56 Bring Back The Bruise Bros

Bring Back The Bruise Bros

RIP Probie

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,683 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 06:33 PM

Let the Bobby Ryan to Philadelphia speculation continue!
"Ice hockey is a form of disorderly conduct in which the score is kept."

RIP Bob Probert
RIP Wade Belak
RIP Derek Boogaard
RIP Rick Rypien

#57 Z Winged Dangler

Z Winged Dangler

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,178 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 06:35 PM

Let the Bobby Ryan to Philadelphia speculation continue!

they need another dman... and a goalie for that matter. not getting Weber put them from ECF against the Rangers to 2nd round exit again.

Free darkmanx!

"I play hockey, but I am not very good.  Can someone please tell me what it would take to sign with the Wings ? I can use a million or two."  ~ arag

#58 Bring Back The Bruise Bros

RIP Probie

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,683 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 06:38 PM

they need another dman... and a goalie for that matter. not getting Weber put them from ECF against the Rangers to 2nd round exit again.

I still think they're going hard for Ryan. They've got the cap space. Also, Yandle could be a target for them, as well.

Edited by Bring Back The Bruise Bros, 24 July 2012 - 06:39 PM.

RIP Bob Probert
RIP Wade Belak
RIP Derek Boogaard
RIP Rick Rypien

#59 Z Winged Dangler

Z Winged Dangler

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,178 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 06:47 PM

I still think they're going hard for Ryan. They've got the cap space. Also, Yandle could be a target for them, as well.

it really depends what they have to give up to get ryan. yandle seems lie a more likely target after losing out on weber.

Free darkmanx!

#60 Bring Back The Bruise Bros

RIP Probie

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,683 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 06:52 PM

it really depends what they have to give up to get ryan. yandle seems lie a more likely target after losing out on weber.

True. Its been said that Anaheim is looking for a top 6 forward in return. Taking into account that Hartnell has one year left on his contract, he could possibly be part of a deal. Too hard to tell at this moment.

RIP Bob Probert
RIP Wade Belak
RIP Derek Boogaard
RIP Rick Rypien