• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Din758

Semin signs one year, $7m deal with Carolina

Rate this topic

I would take Semin any day for one year than Doan for multiple. There's hardly any risk involved and what else are the Red Wings going to do with the cap space? Doan isn't coming here and never was.

Semin would have led the team in goals next season. "We kicked the tires, but the cost wasn't a fit."

that sucks. signing semin would have given us a little push in the offense for sure, even if he has a lack of heart. he is a natural scorer and he will score some for the hurricanes. maybe ken is going to risky on signing doan.

Why is everyone blaming Kenny? I think if Babs said he wanted him, we would have him. I think this is more of a Babcock call to me.

Babcock would rather deal with our current roster than add a potential 40 goal scorer and someone to develop mad chemistry with Datsyuk?

The risk would be his example being shown day in-day out to players like Nyquist/Brunner/Smith. The Red Wings must have thought that risk would outweigh any rewards he would have.

And so did a lot of other teams, or else a prior 40 goal scorer wouldn't have to settle nearly a month into free agency for a one year deal.

Yes but that's the worst case scenario, and the Wings have a lockerroom full of guys like Dats, Z, and Helm to outweigh one potentially lazy player (insert Franzen joke here). And the same could've been said when they signed Cleary. Or Bert.

Like I said, a one-year deal also helps that because if Semin wants a good payday next year he has to prove his doubters wrong this season.

And I thought earlier Semin's camp was saying they were waiting on the Doan deal. That might have held them back from signing earlier, but they got tired of waiting.

Babcock would rather deal with our current roster than add a potential 40 goal scorer and someone to develop mad chemistry with Datsyuk?

Probably, the headache Semin might be would outweigh what his goal scoring prowess might be. Washington had enough of him, and it seems Holland wasn't sold on Semin being a Stanley Cup caliber piece.

I believe Holland has to build a Stanley Cup team, not a playoff team. And I really don't think Semin is going to be able to play that #1 winger role on a Stanley Cup team.

And I thought earlier Semin's camp was saying they were waiting on the Doan deal. That might have held them back from signing earlier, but they got tired of waiting.

Sounds more like a PR move to try and raise Semin's non existent offers.

Edited by Carman

that sucks. signing semin would have given us a little push in the offense for sure, even if he has a lack of heart. he is a natural scorer and he will score some for the hurricanes. maybe ken is going to risky on signing doan.

I'd take Semin for a year over Doan.

Doan is a great player and a warrior, but the guy's 35. His help to this team is limited, especially given how he plays. A 28 year old Semin on a one year deal, you hope he turns it around and then the Wings can lock him up for a handful of years next season.

Probably, the headache Semin might be would outweigh what his goal scoring prowess might be. Washington had enough of him, and it seems Holland wasn't sold on Semin being a Stanley Cup caliber piece.

I believe Holland has to build a Stanley Cup team, not a playoff team. And I really don't think Semin is going to be able to play that #1 winger role on a Stanley Cup team.

Sounds more like a PR move to try and raise Semin's non existent offers.

So hypothetical situations you couldn't possibly know are true are ok when used to dismiss a signing?

I'd have to think getting Semin away from Ovechkin and around a player like Dats could only help.

As I said before, Semin seemed like a good candidate for another Holland reclamation project.

You'd think so. In the other Semin thread I pondered the same thing.

Apparently, here's the rule:

-Over-the-hill? He's a Dan Cleary type.

-Not living up to lofty expectations? He's a Dan Cleary type.

-Game has fallen off completely? He's a Dan Cleary type.

-Returning player who wasn't great in the first stint, back after game falls off elsewhere? He knows the system/is comfortable / Dan Cleary type.

-Super skilled player who averages 30 goals, with 40+ goal potential, but didn't get along on young team? Not interested.

:P

So hypothetical situations you couldn't possibly know are true are ok when used to dismiss a signing?

I'd have to think getting Semin away from Ovechkin and around a player like Dats could only help.

No just guessing based on knowing how marketing works and how PR works. You use every avenue to increase the value of the player, and to me it looks like that's what they did based on your comment.

You also have to think getting Semin away from Ovechkin and the young team might help them and putting Semin with Datsyuk for a full year might just hurt the Wings chemistry in the locker room

No just guessing based on knowing how marketing works and how PR works. You use every avenue to increase the value of the player, and to me it looks like that's what they did based on your comment.

You also have to think getting Semin away from Ovechkin and the young team might help them and putting Semin with Datsyuk for a full year might just hurt the Wings chemistry in the locker room

Of course.

Because Holland didn't sign him, naturally the only reasonable assumption is that it would have a negative impact on the Wings. :rolleyes:

If he had signed him, I'm sure people would be lining up to say how Semin could turn it around here because of all the leadership in Detroit.

You're telling me one introvert would kill the Wings locker room and do more harm than good? Better to waste another year of an elite players career with a lazy, unmotivated Franzen and an over-the-hill, slow, lackluster Bertuzzi on his wing?

I'd take Semin for a year over Doan.

Doan is a great player and a warrior, but the guy's 35. His help to this team is limited, especially given how he plays. A 28 year old Semin on a one year deal, you hope he turns it around and then the Wings can lock him up for a handful of years next season.

total agree to that.

You're telling me one introvert would kill the Wings locker room and do more harm than good? Better to waste another year of an elite players career with a lazy, unmotivated Franzen and an over-the-hill, slow, lackluster Bertuzzi on his wing?

That lazy unmotivated Franzen made 3 million less and had more production than Semin.

If Semin is an elite player, then so is Franzen. Hell Franzen has a much better post season PPG than Semin.

Because Holland didn't sign him, naturally the only reasonable assumption is that it would have a negative impact on the Wings. :rolleyes:

If he had signed him, I'm sure people would be lining up to say how Semin could turn it around here because of all the leadership in Detroit.

Not at all, I'm just saying what I think the situation was, and how I personally feel about Semin on the Red Wings.

If Semin has a good year in Carolina, and doesn't cause any trouble I'll gladly take my words back. I just feel, with the information I have, that he would not have been a good gamble.

I don't think there is a right or wrong. It will have to play out, all we have to go on is our on thoughts and projections.

Edited by Carman

That lazy unmotivated Franzen made 3 million less and had more production than Semin.

If Semin is an elite player, then so is Franzen. Hell Franzen has a much better post season PPG than Semin.

Not at all, I'm just saying what I think the situation was, and how I personally feel about Semin on the Red Wings.

If Semin has a good year in Carolina, and doesn't cause any trouble I'll gladly take my words back. I just feel, with the information I have, that he would not have been a good gamble.

I don't think there is a right or wrong. It will have to play out, all we have to go on is our on thoughts and projections.

I see a lot of Franzen bashing on here, I know he has his slow streaks but doesn't everybody? The guy scored 5 goals in a game against Ottawa! Give him some credit.

Anyways,

I think Semin would have been worth the chance for a 1 year opportunity and I don't feel that he would hurt the locker room. At least he would have boosted team morale.

Semin isn't the elite I was referring to, Datsyuk was.

I see a lot of Franzen bashing on here, I know he has his slow streaks but doesn't everybody? The guy scored 5 goals in a game against Ottawa! Give him some credit.

If he had missed that game, he would have only scored 22 goals that season.

Franzen had 2 more points than Semin in the same number of games.

$3 million less? Are you comparing Franzen's cap hit on his 11 year deal to Semin's on a 1 year deal? Not exactly apples to apples. Franzen was paid $5.25 mill last season. Semin was paid $6.7 mill