193 replies to this topic

#181 b.shanafan14

b.shanafan14

One good Swede deserves another!

• Silver Booster
  • 2,872 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 05:39 PM

From Yahoo! Sports

What a perfectly logical way to go about signing someone to a 1 year deal. I wonder if the Red Wings even did any research since they didn't even seem interested. Like I said, it's af****** joke. This is about as Win-Win as you can get in today's current market. Your "highest paid player" argument is funny though.

Great read. And the mind-boggling thing about Semin's reputation for the most part, besides the inconsistency and possible lack of commitment (which isn't foriegn to any team, the Wings included) was that Semin was basically an introvert. We're not talking about someone who fought with his teammates or was constantly making a spectacle of himself, its that in his previous environment he just didn't fit in. From all accounts, he seemed to not pal-around much with his former teammates and was probably a bit of an outcast. He was quiet, wasn't great at speaking English, and hadn't made much effort to learn.

How does THAT poison a team, especially one of the Wings constitution, and so much so that it outweighs his on-ice potential? Its over. Its done with. Still don't understand it.

#182 Carman

Carman

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 5,114 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 08:24 PM

How does THAT poison a team, especially one of the Wings constitution, and so much so that it outweighs his on-ice potential? Its over. Its done with. Still don't understand it.

You're paying a player and giving him top line minutes to be a terrible example in the locker room. It does poison a team, he couldn't even help the Capitals get to the conference finals. Semin is not a player that will help you win a cup, so what would be the point in signing him? He takes horrible penalties, he refused to learn English for years, Arnott even said in an interview he requires a lot of attention from the team for guidance. I see a similarity with Alexei Kovalev, supremely talented player that will end up moving team to team in hopes that he can reach his potential, which never happens.

Carolina went for Semin after they failed to land Nash, they have no expectations to win a cup,what's interesting is they are taking revenuesharing funds(20 million) and bidding up players like Parise/Suter/Doan/Semin etc.Carolina is just spending money to inject a franchise with news. They aren't making good hockey moves, they are just trading away talent for names (the Staal trade), and bringing in an overpaid, underachieving 50 point player.

http://www.canada.co...1107/story.html
http://www.washingto...NXbyQ_blog.html

Edited by Carman, 27 July 2012 - 08:25 PM.

#183 Dabura

Dabura

Everydayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,202 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 09:46 PM

Our roster sucks but Semin makes us a contender?

Yeah, something is way too high...

Did I say Semin makes us a contender? No. In fact, earlier today I said Semin shouldn't be the highest paid player on any team - and I stand by that. Thanks for playing, though.

Edited by Dabura, 27 July 2012 - 09:46 PM.

Don't Toews me, bro!

#184 ShanahanMan

ShanahanMan

DUUUUUUUUH

• Silver Booster
  • 5,785 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 10:37 PM

From Yahoo! Sports

What a perfectly logical way to go about signing someone to a 1 year deal. I wonder if the Red Wings even did any research since they didn't even seem interested. Like I said, it's af****** joke. This is about as Win-Win as you can get in today's current market. Your "highest paid player" argument is funny though.

Well that's not fair. How can you expect Holland to do research while he's been vacationing in BC the last week? Obviously all the work he's done during the offseason so far has made him quite tired.

I HATE JASON WILLIAMS

#185 The Axe

The Axe

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,379 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 10:59 PM

Semin is gone. Who's left?

#186 LeftWinger

LeftWinger

42 years in Detroit! Time to spend the rest in paradise!

• Silver Booster
  • 8,920 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 11:06 PM

Sorry, not to derail the thread but 6000 posts for me!!!! :yahoo:

Ok, carry on with the topic....

Semin is gone, but at least he didn't go.....yep......prematurely! :hysterical: Sorry.....

Edited by LeftWinger, 27 July 2012 - 11:07 PM.

Bring Fedorov Home For A Day!

He Needs To Retire A Red Wing.

When Gordie Leaves Us, the NHL MUST Retire The #9.

#187 Buppy

Buppy

1st Line All-Star

• Silver Booster
  • 1,989 posts

Posted 28 July 2012 - 11:09 PM

Did I say Semin makes us a contender? No. In fact, earlier today I said Semin shouldn't be the highest paid player on any team - and I stand by that. Thanks for playing, though.

I apologize for not researching your every opinion on Semin, and assuming your statement, "it'd be nice to compete for a Cup this season", in a post crying about not signing him meant you believed he would allow our roster (which "sucks") to do so. In the future I'll try to be more dilligent so as to better recognize the hyperbolic rantings of the frustrated headline addicts.

#188 The Axe

The Axe

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,379 posts

Posted 28 July 2012 - 11:27 PM

We need Ryan

#189 Zonly1

Zonly1

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 362 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 11:00 AM

We need Ryan

We're not getting Ryan. Or Doan. Or Yandle. Holland is content with what he has.

#190 The Axe

The Axe

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,379 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 11:01 AM

We're not getting Ryan. Or Doan. Or Yandle. Holland is content with what he has.

Howard will not win 30 games then.

#191 Carman

Carman

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 5,114 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 11:11 AM

Howard will not win 30 games then.

I'll put money on that, barring injuries of course.

#192 The Axe

The Axe

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,379 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 11:21 AM

20 bucks? Injuries included.

#193 Carman

Carman

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 5,114 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 11:27 AM

20 bucks? Injuries included.

Not putting money on it with injuries, but I'll just save this thread here and see what happens later. If he's healthy I don't see Howard getting less than 30 wins.

#194 The Axe

The Axe

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,379 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 04:03 PM

Not putting money on it with injuries, but I'll just save this thread here and see what happens later. If he's healthy I don't see Howard getting less than 30 wins.

Ok. For pride is fine. Just trying to remove subjectivity. Not trying to jinx him or sucker you. 5 bucks?!