• Please log in to reply
193 replies to this topic

#41 goon19

goon19

Draftee

• 9 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 03:10 PM

I'd take Semin for a year over Doan.

Doan is a great player and a warrior, but the guy's 35. His help to this team is limited, especially given how he plays. A 28 year old Semin on a one year deal, you hope he turns it around and then the Wings can lock him up for a handful of years next season.

So hypothetical situations you couldn't possibly know are true are ok when used to dismiss a signing?

I'd have to think getting Semin away from Ovechkin and around a player like Dats could only help.

total agree to that.

#42 Carman

Carman

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 5,114 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 03:12 PM

You're telling me one introvert would kill the Wings locker room and do more harm than good? Better to waste another year of an elite players career with a lazy, unmotivated Franzen and an over-the-hill, slow, lackluster Bertuzzi on his wing?

That lazy unmotivated Franzen made 3 million less and had more production than Semin.

If Semin is an elite player, then so is Franzen. Hell Franzen has a much better post season PPG than Semin.

Because Holland didn't sign him, naturally the only reasonable assumption is that it would have a negative impact on the Wings. :rolleyes:

If he had signed him, I'm sure people would be lining up to say how Semin could turn it around here because of all the leadership in Detroit.

Not at all, I'm just saying what I think the situation was, and how I personally feel about Semin on the Red Wings.
If Semin has a good year in Carolina, and doesn't cause any trouble I'll gladly take my words back. I just feel, with the information I have, that he would not have been a good gamble.

I don't think there is a right or wrong. It will have to play out, all we have to go on is our on thoughts and projections.

Edited by Carman, 26 July 2012 - 03:14 PM.

#43 Salviaman

Salviaman

Tool + Red Wings = Bliss

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,289 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 03:15 PM

Cool. Who is next to stay away from Detroit?
Think for yourself. Question authority. Throughout human history as our species has faced the frightening, terrorizing fact that we do not know who we are or where we are going in this ocean of chance, it has been the authorities, the political, the religious, the educational authorities who attempted to comfort us by giving us order, rules, regulations, informing, forming in our minds their view of reality. To think for yourself you must question authority and learn how to put yourself in a state of vulnerable, open mindedness, chaotic, confused vulnerability to inform yourself.

#44 Dabura

Dabura

Everydayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,199 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 03:18 PM

Exactly. Enjoy being a saddle sore Hudler.

I was being sarcastic. :tounge:

Don't Toews me, bro!

#45 WingsAlways

WingsAlways

Disgruntled Zamboni Driver

• PipPip
  • 413 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 03:19 PM

That lazy unmotivated Franzen made 3 million less and had more production than Semin.

If Semin is an elite player, then so is Franzen. Hell Franzen has a much better post season PPG than Semin.

Not at all, I'm just saying what I think the situation was, and how I personally feel about Semin on the Red Wings.
If Semin has a good year in Carolina, and doesn't cause any trouble I'll gladly take my words back. I just feel, with the information I have, that he would not have been a good gamble.

I don't think there is a right or wrong. It will have to play out, all we have to go on is our on thoughts and projections.

I see a lot of Franzen bashing on here, I know he has his slow streaks but doesn't everybody? The guy scored 5 goals in a game against Ottawa! Give him some credit.

Anyways,

I think Semin would have been worth the chance for a 1 year opportunity and I don't feel that he would hurt the locker room. At least he would have boosted team morale.

5_zps63dcf56d.jpg

"The Russian Five"    

#46 b.shanafan14

b.shanafan14

One good Swede deserves another!

• Silver Booster
  • 2,872 posts

Semin isn't the elite I was referring to, Datsyuk was.

#47 WingsAlways

WingsAlways

• PipPip
  • 413 posts

I was being sarcastic. :tounge:

I wasn't. lol

5_zps63dcf56d.jpg

"The Russian Five"    

#48 b.shanafan14

b.shanafan14

One good Swede deserves another!

• Silver Booster
  • 2,872 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 03:20 PM

I see a lot of Franzen bashing on here, I know he has his slow streaks but doesn't everybody? The guy scored 5 goals in a game against Ottawa! Give him some credit.

If he had missed that game, he would have only scored 22 goals that season.

#49 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 17,298 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 03:22 PM

Franzen had 2 more points than Semin in the same number of games.

$3 million less? Are you comparing Franzen's cap hit on his 11 year deal to Semin's on a 1 year deal? Not exactly apples to apples. Franzen was paid $5.25 mill last season. Semin was paid $6.7 mill

#50 Z Winged Dangler

Z Winged Dangler

Part 3: Return of the Hammer Hands

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,219 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 03:27 PM

I think it's time to reinstate the "Neg" button.

"I play hockey, but I am not very good.  Can someone please tell me what it would take to sign with the Wings ? I can use a million or two."  ~ arag

Dan Cleary is an Xbox 360.  While good for a while, it's time for the new generation to take over.

#51 chuckdee

chuckdee

Prospect

• 40 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 03:27 PM

I guess last year was a good one for NHL owners. The $$$ being thrown around this year is unprecedented.

#52 Carman

Carman

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 5,114 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 03:29 PM

Franzen had 2 more points than Semin in the same number of games.

$3 million less? Are you comparing Franzen's cap hit on his 11 year deal to Semin's on a 1 year deal? Not exactly apples to apples. Franzen was paid $5.25 mill last season. Semin was paid $6.7 mill

Either way Franzen's caphit is lower, and he's proved to be much much more productive in the post season.

#53 Bring Back The Bruise Bros

Bring Back The Bruise Bros

RIP Probie

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,703 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 03:32 PM

$7 million for Alexander Semin :lol:

I knew he wouldn't be taking 5 mil or any of the other lower figures being thrown around. The fact that teams seemed to be shying away from him should speak volumes about his character.

On the other hand, the well is really beginning to run dry.
"Ice hockey is a form of disorderly conduct in which the score is kept."

RIP Bob Probert
RIP Wade Belak
RIP Derek Boogaard
RIP Rick Rypien

#54 VM1138

VM1138

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,611 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 03:35 PM

I wonder if Illitch is tightening the purse strings a bit. It's really unusual for the Wings to just sit on $13 million. I know there aren't many great players out there, but at this point it wouldn't hurt to increase our depth with some bottom players and hope someone has a lucky year and plays above their skill set.

Since there doesn't seem to be any movement for a top defenseman or a top forward.
Check out my short e-book on the Red Wings' 1937 Stanley Cup championship entitled: "Nothing Could Keep 'Em Down." Please download it from my profile at Smashwords: https://www.smashwor...ile/view/victor

New e-book: The Spanish-American War: A Brief History. Relatively short, introductory read for casual history buffs and people who want to learn more about a forgotten war that changed America. Available at BN.com, Smashwords, Kobo, and Diesel E-Books right now. Same link as above.

#55 Drake_Marcus

Drake_Marcus

Pariah

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,336 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 03:42 PM

Wow... you have to admire Semin's agent. Let's look at his history:

1st contract after rookie year: 4.6mil cap hit, 2 year long, Washington
08-09: 62gp / 34g / 79pts (1.27pt/g , 0.55 g/g)
09-10: 73gp / 40g / 84pts (1.15 pt/g, 0.55 g/g)

RFA contract: 6mil cap hit, 1 year long, Washington
10-11: 65gp / 28g / 54pts (0.83 pt/g, 0.43 g/g)

1st UFA contract: 6.7mil cap hit, 1 year long, Washington
11-12: 77gp / 21g / 54pts (0.70 pt/g, 0.27 g/g)

2nd UFA contract: 7 mil cap hit, 1 year long, Carolina
12-13: lol

Who wouldn't want to keep getting raises as your reward for plummeting performance? Semin's goals per game was half his established peak level two years prior and only 63% of where it was the year before.

Now top all that off with constant grumbles across the league about his poor attitude. Hilarious stuff.

I wonder if Illitch is tightening the purse strings a bit. It's really unusual for the Wings to just sit on $13 million. I know there aren't many great players out there, but at this point it wouldn't hurt to increase our depth with some bottom players and hope someone has a lucky year and plays above their skill set.

Since there doesn't seem to be any movement for a top defenseman or a top forward.

To be honest I think it has a lot to do with the cap uncertainty at this point. Holland doesn't want to swallow a poison pill contract just yet.
Dedicated to lulz once lost:
Posted Image
Thanks TeeMan!

"We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas
of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage" --H.P. Lovecraft

#56 Bring Back The Bruise Bros

Bring Back The Bruise Bros

RIP Probie

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,703 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 03:44 PM

Wow... you have to admire Semin's agent. Let's look at his history:

1st contract after rookie year: 4.6mil cap hit, 2 year long, Washington
08-09: 62gp / 34g / 79pts (1.27pt/g , 0.55 g/g)
09-10: 73gp / 40g / 84pts (1.15 pt/g, 0.55 g/g)

RFA contract: 6mil cap hit, 1 year long, Washington
10-11: 65gp / 28g / 54pts (0.83 pt/g, 0.43 g/g)

1st UFA contract: 6.7mil cap hit, 1 year long, Washington
11-12: 77gp / 21g / 54pts (0.70 pt/g, 0.27 g/g)

2nd UFA contract: 7 mil cap hit, 1 year long, Carolina
12-13: lol

Who wouldn't want to keep getting raises as your reward for plummeting performance? Semin's goals per game was half his established peak level two years prior and only 63% of where it was the year before.

Now top all that off with constant grumbles across the league about his poor attitude. Hilarious stuff.

To be honest I think it has a lot to do with the cap uncertainty at this point. Holland doesn't want to swallow a poison pill contract just yet.

Which is exactly why I'm happy he didn't come here.
"Ice hockey is a form of disorderly conduct in which the score is kept."

RIP Bob Probert
RIP Wade Belak
RIP Derek Boogaard
RIP Rick Rypien

#57 SpankEmRed

SpankEmRed

RIGHT!

• Gold Booster
  • 587 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 03:50 PM

Hey... Kenny's been busy too ya know. He landed us a D-Man in Brennan Evans!

Career AHLer looks like, but he's a big guy at least.

Source: http://www.tsn.ca/nh...ature/?id=25880 (I swear this was the only place that I saw any mention of it)
"Again!" - Herb Brooks

#58 WingsAlways

WingsAlways

• PipPip
  • 413 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 03:53 PM

Hey... Kenny's been busy too ya know. He landed us a D-Man in Brennan Evans!

Career AHLer looks like, but he's a big guy at least.

Source: http://www.tsn.ca/nh...ature/?id=25880 (I swear this was the only place that I saw any mention of it)

It was on the WIng's homepage. http://redwings.nhl....s.htm?id=638537

He's got good size, but can he dance at NHL level?

5_zps63dcf56d.jpg

"The Russian Five"    

#59 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 17,298 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 03:56 PM

But the Suter deal could've been exactly that, and Holland made the offer.

A one year deal for Semin is among the lower risk contracts you could get.

Like I said, I'm just surprised and a little confused Holland wasn't even interested. Just seeing what Semin could do with Datsyuk and on the PP seems like enough incentive to at least kick the tires a little.

If he stinks it up, then it's money lost and some cap room that right now looks like it's not getting used anyway. Unless Holland's still got a trick up his sleeve.

#60 KrazyGangsta

KrazyGangsta

Hall-of-Famer

• Gold Booster
  • 2,465 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 03:56 PM

Thank god Semin is not a Red Wings !!! Thank You !!! I'm so glad that this lazy player will not waste 7$ million of our Owner even if it's not being used.