• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Din758

Semin signs one year, $7m deal with Carolina

Rate this topic

Wrong. I know what you mean, but a 1 yr deal of ANY amount is not the same as a long term commitment like the ones given to 13, 40, or even 93. Semin would've been a mercenary no different than Hossa.

I hate to tell you but you're wrong. Your statement has nothing to do with my post. My statement was a direct response to LeftWinger who said "a player can make more than Pav," No one was talking about term, a player that makes $7m "make more" than a player that makes $6.7m. If you are going to say I'm wrong at least have some clue what you are talking about because what I said was in no way wrong.

I'd prefer a team of players that want to be here rather than a bunch of sellouts. Who needs that kind of money to play a sport. Doctors, Firefighters, and PEOPLE THAT ACTUALLY MATTER make a mere fraction. Good luck with all your millions, hope you can't surpass 20 goals next season...oh but it wont matter, to most of these guys today, they'd rather have a payday than induce passion and hard work into the GAME that they love. the NHL sucks.

EDIT: Sports suck.

Edited by MibJab

Guest Crymson

As I said before, Semin seemed like a good candidate for another Holland reclamation project.

How on earth is it that he could be a reclamation project? Holland's reclamation projects are the likes of Cleary and Samuelsson: guys with talent whose careers have reached a nadir and who are effectively below the radar. Semin absolutely does not fit into this category.

Guest Crymson

The very simple fact is that $7m was just given to a fellow who has scored in the mid-50s in the past two seasons, had four points in 14 games last postseason, and has a history of laziness and poor attitude.

Poor Pavel. He'll never have the sniper unless you count Franzen.

When it's all said and done I'll always wonder how much better he would have been with a Kovy or Semin type player on his wing.

I miss Hossa!

I cant wait to start the season with all of this cap space. a bunch of cap space has gotta count for something, right?

"It's not about the money. It's about sending a message."

The very simple fact is that $7m was just given to a fellow who has scored in the mid-50s in the past two seasons, had four points in 14 games last postseason, and has a history of laziness and poor attitude.

The very simple fact is that our roster sucks.

Seriously?1 year? Why did we show no interest in this guy? What af****** joke.

That's the part that I can't comprehend at all either: it's only for a year, what does the seven million really matter? There's nothing else out there better the Red Wings can/will spend it on now. If it was three years, then it becomes more of a risk and I understand the apprehension.

What's $7 million for 1 season?

It's not like the Red Wings are a financially strapped franchise, nor are we up against the cap.

Carolina...Seriously?.....Maybe Semin likes good BBQ, NCAA basketball, and NASCAR?

Just to be clear, I was quoting The Joker. Point being, I agree with you.

Holland's the best GM in the league, hands down. But, the way this summer's gone, you wouldn't know it.

How on earth is it that he could be a reclamation project? Holland's reclamation projects are the likes of Cleary and Samuelsson: guys with talent whose careers have reached a nadir and who are effectively below the radar. Semin absolutely does not fit into this category.

Other than the part about being effectively below the radar, how does Semin not fit that category?

He's a guy with a ton of talent who's career has basically reached it's low point, relatively speaking. He's being trashed in the media and has a questionable reputation in terms of his work ethic.

A one year deal gives him everything to prove. Either he busts his ass and earns a good contract next year, or he does more of the same, his star continues to fall and he either runs to the KHL or accepts an even smaller contract. If he joined the Wings for a year and turned it around, then they have the chance to sign him for more years.

It's not that unlike what Holland has done with Cleary, Bert and Sammy. It's just a star player version of it.

Guest Crymson

Other than the part about being effectively below the radar, how does Semin not fit that category?

He's a guy with a ton of talent who's career has basically reached it's low point, relatively speaking. He's being trashed in the media and has a questionable reputation in terms of his work ethic.

Cleary, for example, was sought after by nobody and got a contract only after trying out for the team. Semin, by contrast, was sought after by numerous teams and got a $7m contract. If that qualifies as a nadir in one's career, then sign me up to play hockey.

He scored 2 points less than Mule, who was paid $5.25 million this year on an 11 year contract. Also Franzen has 4 points in his last 13 playoff games.

I'm sure Semin's reputation is what made it a one year deal, but it's not surprising he got that amount as a UFA.

He's also scored 79 and 84 points in his career, and potted 40 goals. When people are signing him for a year they're hoping to get more of that guy and less of the one from last season. With what's been going on with the Capitals, you have to think not all of it was Semin.

We can't go into the season with this roster.

When you've got this much cap space, and the UFA pool is down to nothing for legit top 6 forwards, a ballsy move needs to take place.

Offer sheet Jamie Benn. Seriously, what do we have to lose? Who cares if its a d-bag move, its not like we ever trade with Dallas anyway. When you're in a situation like this, you should care less about stepping on people's toes and do whatever it takes to get your team to be able to compete for Lord Stanley.

Cleary, for example, was sought after by nobody and got a contract only after trying out for the team. Semin, by contrast, was sought after by numerous teams and got a $7m contract. If that qualifies as a nadir in one's career, then sign me up to play hockey.

You're not even talking about the deal, you're seriously arguing my using the phrase reclamation project? Holy hell what won't you argue about?

When you consider his talent level and the stink he's got on him right now, Semin absolutely could've been a reclamation project in that Holland could've gotten him for not much. Overpayment in salary sure, but on a one year deal and they have the cap room. They wouldn't have give up a ton of players or lock him up for a decade. And it has the potential upside of him turning it around in Detroit and becoming part of the team going forward for years to come.

To me that fits the phrase reclamation project.

If you want to discuss the merits of signing Semin with me, great, but I'm not engage you in a semantics argument.

Maybe Harold meant that a change of scenery, and an attitude adjustment by playing in Detroit alongside a fellow Russian with a great attitude, solid work ethic, and a plethora of talent would get the most outta Semin,,,Instead of a 60 to 70 pts guy - Semin becomes a 85 plus pts guy in the Motor City?

Exactly.

Of course it could go bad. But no one is even interested or excited at the possibility of Semin on Datsyuk's wing?

I wasn't dying for Semin to be a Wing, I'm just a little surprised Holland wasn't even interested. Like I said, I'm hoping it's because he still has a trick or two up his sleeve.

One year deal, absolutely zero risk. Worst case scenario is he sucks (which I doubt, playing on Pav's wing). Best case scenario is he returns to being a 40 goal scoring sniper. Sure is going to suck sitting on all of that cap space with nobody to sign (even if we do sign Doan which we probably won't, we still could have afforded both). The fact that we showed almost no interest is baffling given Semin's potential. I know Holland has pursued all the top guys this summer and unfortunately struck out on all of them. The thing that pisses me off is the lack of foresight for the seasons leading up to this. Did he really think Nick was going to play forever? If all of us knew that Stuart was going back to California after this season, I'm sure Holland had some sort of idea. I really hope I'm wrong because I love this team but as it stands now I just don't see us as a contender. We're pretty much the same team as 08 just 4 years older with no Lidstrom and Stuart. It sucks.

One year deal, absolutely zero risk. Worst case scenario is he sucks (which I doubt, playing on Pav's wing). Best case scenario is he returns to being a 40 goal scoring sniper. Sure is going to suck sitting on all of that cap space with nobody to sign (even if we do sign Doan which we probably won't, we still could have afforded both). The fact that we showed almost no interest is baffling given Semin's potential. I know Holland has pursued all the top guys this summer and unfortunately struck out on all of them. The thing that pisses me off is the lack of foresight for the seasons leading up to this. Did he really think Nick was going to play forever? If all of us knew that Stuart was going back to California after this season, I'm sure Holland had some sort of idea. I really hope I'm wrong because I love this team but as it stands now I just don't see us as a contender. We're pretty much the same team as 08 just 4 years older with no Lidstrom and Stuart. It sucks.

New guy knows the score.

Guest Crymson

You're not even talking about the deal, you're seriously arguing my using the phrase reclamation project? Holy hell what won't you argue about?

That's exactly what I was arguing: your idea that he could be a reclamation project the likes of Holland's others, such as Cleary, Samuelsson and the sort; the likes of those players are Holland's typical reclamation projects, not high-skill players who need to be reclaimed from subpar effort and poor attitude. Semin is not a player who is struggling to maintain a career in the NHL. He is a player who is trying to secure himself a fat contract.

When you consider his talent level and the stink he's got on him right now, Semin absolutely could've been a reclamation project in that Holland could've gotten him for not much. Overpayment in salary sure, but on a one year deal and they have the cap room. They wouldn't have give up a ton of players or lock him up for a decade. And it has the potential upside of him turning it around in Detroit and becoming part of the team going forward for years to come.

A $7m deal would have instantly made him the highest-paid player on the team. That's no reclamation project, and handing that sort of salary to a guy who has such a poor reputation and so much to prove would have been an insult to others on the team, not to mention that poison in the locker room is always a terrible thing. And Semin's potential to be a cancer in the locker room is almost certainly why Holland avoided the guy; Holland does not sign players who are risky in that area.

Giving Cleary a small contract after a tryout is very different from giving a fat paycheck to a guy who has a well-known history of laziness and petulance. One is no-risk. The other is not.

Edited by Crymson