193 replies to this topic

#61 SpankEmRed

SpankEmRed

RIGHT!

• Gold Booster
  • 587 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 03:57 PM

It was on the WIng's homepage. http://redwings.nhl....s.htm?id=638537

He's got good size, but can he dance at NHL level?

Only 2 career NHL games. Methinks a Kindl replacement. (sorry, not trying to hijack the thread boys and girls. Carry on)
"Again!" - Herb Brooks

#62 Carman

Carman

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 5,114 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 04:00 PM

But the Suter deal could've been exactly that, and Holland made the offer.

A one year deal for Semin is among the lower risk contracts you could get.

Like I said, I'm just surprised and a little confused Holland wasn't even interested. Just seeing what Semin could do with Datsyuk and on the PP seems like enough incentive to at least kick the tires a little.

If he stinks it up, then it's money lost and some cap room that right now looks like it's not getting used anyway. Unless Holland's still got a trick up his sleeve.

Woah woah, you can't compare a Suter deal to Semin. Suter has no past issues in attitude, and has produced consistently every season.

#63 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 16,910 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 04:02 PM

Woah woah, you can't compare a Suter deal to Semin. Suter has no past issues in attitude, and has produced consistently every season.

Read the post I was responding to. I'm not referring to the player, but the size of the deal as the league heads into CBA negotiations.

A deal the size of Suter's could've had much larger ramifications if they adjusted the cap than a 1 year deal with Semin ever would.

#64 Dabura

Dabura

Everydayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,059 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 04:06 PM

Y'know, now that I think about it...this does irk me.

Don't Toews me, bro!

#65 Carman

Carman

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 5,114 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 04:07 PM

Read the post I was responding to. I'm not referring to the player, but the size of the deal as the league heads into CBA negotiations.

A deal the size of Suter's could've had much larger ramifications if they adjusted the cap than a 1 year deal with Semin ever would.

But at least the money wouldn't be wasted on a player that hasn't proved himself to be a good teammate. and would fill the need of a top pairing defenseman.

#66 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 16,910 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 04:10 PM

But at least the money wouldn't be wasted on a player that hasn't proved himself to be a good teammate. and would fill the need of a top pairing defenseman.

Like I said, I wasn't referring to the players really.

Though even considering that in context of the cap, if for some reason they were to rachet it down without allowing rollbacks or buyouts, the Suter deal would still have had much greater implications. Semin would be a lousy deal for a year. Suter's could've crippled the team for over a decade, yet Holland was willing to get involved.

So I don't think his avoiding Semin had to do with the CBA negotiations is my point.

#67 Seraph

Seraph

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,143 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 04:13 PM

If Holland sits on his $13 million, there is absolutely NO reason why we shouldn't have made the same offer or better to Semin. A one year deal carries no risk and will only motivate the kid to be a team player so he can cash in next off season. It's tough to say if Holland actually has a plan with the money or if he's striking out on all these opportunities. I am praying to Buddha our next headline isn't that we've just signed Andreas Lilja to lucrative multi-year dear.

Formerly known as The Nephilim.

QUOTE (Amberoonie)
Babs sure hurries himself into the presser, sits down, and f*cks up a bottle of water like no one in the room has had any for days.

#68 unsaddleddonald

unsaddleddonald

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 748 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 04:21 PM

Someone tell Kenny that no one on this team has scored 30 goals in 3 years......

#69 LeftWinger

LeftWinger

42 years in Detroit! Time to spend the rest in paradise!

• Silver Booster
  • 8,612 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 04:28 PM

:D at Kenny....he is fail. Epic. An off season that started out so promising too. Lowball some more players and GMs. Hey Ken, a player can make more than Pav, ya know? Damn him and his "team" salary cap. Enjoy this roster!

Don't Be Jealous, But I Live Here...

www.thinkdunes.com

Aww You Mad Bro? Are You Butt Hurt?

#70 Frozen-Man

Frozen-Man

Thanks for the memories

• Gold Booster
  • 1,579 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 04:32 PM

One year, zero risk. Nothing but upside

On a one year no risk deal with the amount of cap space we have, I'd be happy to give him $8.5m, was really hoping we'd end up with him if it was one year, too bad

IA one year deal carries no risk

I doubt the guy who actually has to pay the $7,000,000 out of his own pockets (even with how deep his pockets are) would agree that there is no risk. Perhaps Ilich looked at Semin and said the Caps didn't want to resign him, he has a bad rep, can't get more than a one year deal anywhere, has been on the market a month . . . your not going to risk $7,000,000 of my money on a guy that is such a question mark and might even end up hurting the team.

"Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience." - Mark Twain

#71 Carman

Carman

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 5,114 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 04:36 PM

Someone tell Kenny that no one on this team has scored 30 goals in 3 years......

adding 7 million dollar 21goal scorer sure would help :innocent:

#72 Dabura

Dabura

Everydayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,059 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 04:37 PM

If Holland sits on his $13 million, there is absolutely NO reason why we shouldn't have made the same offer or better to Semin. A one year deal carries no risk and will only motivate the kid to be a team player so he can cash in next off season. It's tough to say if Holland actually has a plan with the money or if he's striking out on all these opportunities. I am praying to Buddha our next headline isn't that we've just signed Andreas Lilja to lucrative multi-year dear.

I want to believe he has a master plan, a rabbit in his hat, an ace up his sleeve. That we're gonna get that power-forward and that elite #1 defenseman, no worries. That what looks like incompetence and reeks of failure and disappointment is all part of The Plan. That if we lose five key players to injury, all in the same week, we won't be icing the Grand Rapids Red Wings.

But we all know Lilja is coming back. :confused:

Don't Toews me, bro!

#73 Frozen-Man

Frozen-Man

Thanks for the memories

• Gold Booster
  • 1,579 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 04:42 PM

:D at Kenny....he is fail. Epic. An off season that started out so promising too. Lowball some more players and GMs. Hey Ken, a player can make more than Pav, ya know? Damn him and his "team" salary cap. Enjoy this roster!

I know it is frustrating, but Holland offered Parise, Sutter, and (I think it is safe to assume) Weber more than Dats -- That doesn't mean however, that he thinks Semin should make $300,000 more than Dats.

"Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience." - Mark Twain

#74 StormJH1

StormJH1

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 701 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 04:42 PM

Wow. I really felt like there was a good reason for all the other non-moves, but this one stings. Honestly, the roster is basically full - a one-year deal!? If there's some good reason Semin didn't want us then so be it, but I better not find out that we were just "holding out for Doan"

Sent on iPhone using Tapatalk

#75 F.Michael

F.Michael

Old School Dynamic Duo

• HoF Booster
  • 7,528 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 04:43 PM

"
The Red Wings continue to pursue power forward Shane Doan, who has met with the New York Rangers and Philadelphia and is scheduled to meet next week with Montreal

:lol:

'Evolution' created by Offsides

#76 StormJH1

StormJH1

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 701 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 04:47 PM

I know it is frustrating, but Holland offered Parise, Sutter, and (I think it is safe to assume) Weber more than Dats -- That doesn't mean however, that he thinks Semin should make $300,000 more than Dats.

Wrong. I know what you mean, but a 1 yr deal of ANY amount is not the same as a long term commitment like the ones given to 13, 40, or even 93. Semin would've been a mercenary no different than Hossa.

Sent on iPhone using Tapatalk

#77 Dabura

Dabura

Everydayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,059 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 04:57 PM

"
The Red Wings continue to pursue power forward Shane Doan, who has met with the New York Rangers and Philadelphia and is scheduled to meet next week with Montreal

:lol:

Gee-zuss.

Don't Toews me, bro!

#78 Frozen-Man

Frozen-Man

Thanks for the memories

• Gold Booster
  • 1,579 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 05:02 PM

Wrong. I know what you mean, but a 1 yr deal of ANY amount is not the same as a long term commitment like the ones given to 13, 40, or even 93. Semin would've been a mercenary no different than Hossa.

I hate to tell you but you're wrong. Your statement has nothing to do with my post. My statement was a direct response to LeftWinger who said "a player can make more than Pav," No one was talking about term, a player that makes $7m "make[s] more" than a player that makes $6.7m. If you are going to say I'm wrong at least have some clue what you are talking about because what I said was in no way wrong.

#79 brett

brett

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,974 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 05:05 PM

looks like the only way to improve now is through trades

#80 MibJab

MibJab

Top Prospect

• Pip
  • 95 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 05:09 PM

I'd prefer a team of players that want to be here rather than a bunch of sellouts. Who needs that kind of money to play a sport. Doctors, Firefighters, and PEOPLE THAT ACTUALLY MATTER make a mere fraction. Good luck with all your millions, hope you can't surpass 20 goals next season...oh but it wont matter, to most of these guys today, they'd rather have a payday than induce passion and hard work into the GAME that they love. the NHL sucks.

EDIT: Sports suck.

Edited by MibJab, 26 July 2012 - 05:09 PM.